I spoke to one user who showed me this demo unit and told me how Twitter accessed his location 100 times in one day. Now it could be because he didn't have very good connection but this shows how useful DTEK can be for you.
    DTEK is really good-img_20151108_114600.jpg

Posted via CB10
    3junior likes this.
    11-08-15 09:53 AM
    And what can DTEK do about it? Nothing. Fairly useless until Marshmallow.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-08-15 09:58 AM
    It tells you vital information and it's up to you what to do with that information.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 09:58 AM
    DTek says picture password is less secure than a regular password that people can see while you type. :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    theGUNNER likes this.
    11-08-15 10:03 AM
    I agree that it's not as good, but to say it's useless is incorrect.

It still gives the user the ability to choose whether they want to keep using the app or delete it. It really opens a user's eyes... what exactly is that app doing in the background... why does it need to access my location, camera or contact information so often?

When DTEK is paired with Android M, it will be really great.

Posted via CB10
    gallopiton likes this.
    11-08-15 10:07 AM
    I agree that it's not as good, but to say it's useless is incorrect.

It still gives the user the ability to choose whether they want to keep using the app or delete it. It really opens a user's eyes... what exactly is that app doing in the background... why does it need to access my location, camera or contact information so often?

When DTEK is paired with Android M, it will be really great.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. And when we get the Android M update soon, it will be perfect!

Even now we know what's going on and can delete an offending app if we wish to.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    DirkManuel and bluetroll like this.
    11-08-15 10:13 AM
    I wonder if Twitter needs your location for those target local sponsored tweets...

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:19 AM
    DTek says picture password is less secure than a regular password that people can see while you type. :-)

A well-made alphanumerical password if several characters length, with a few symbols thrown in the mix, that is changed periodically, is the strongest password you could ever use.

When it comes to convenience though, the Picture Password is probably the strongest currently available. Doesn't make it better than a traditional password though.

Posted via CB10
    LazyEvul, crackbb10 and bluetroll like this.
    11-08-15 10:19 AM
    Yeah but it's only showing you this information, it can't do anything about it aside from you un-installing the app.

It's tantamount to saying "This phone is based on Privacy and although we can't stop your privacy from being breached we will show you that it is in fact being breached.". What's the point?

It's the same with the chrome browser. How many people will know that unless they get into the settings of the browser to turn off tracking then Chrome is mining your data every time you use it. And you can turn that off in any Android phone so I don't see what's special about DTEK. For a phone based on Privacy I don't see what it's doing to protect it besides showing you that you don't have any Privacy.
    LazyEvul and JeepBB like this.
    11-08-15 10:24 AM
    I've had this phone for less than 24 hours and Twitter has accessed my location more than 1000 times. I use Twitter a lot, but I suspect there's something odd about what DTEK considers to be a location access event, because that's just hugely inefficient even if they wanted to know my every move.

Edit: I even tried manually adding the number of instances in which DTEK claims my location was accessed when you tap on "location" for more details. It only added up to 161. That's still a whole lot, but I'm not sure where DTEK is getting the 1000+ number from.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 11-08-15 at 10:51 AM.
    11-08-15 10:25 AM
    The advertisers that pay for all of the free services that you use, including Twitter, want to know what they are paying for. What country they are in, for example, and what devices they are using. So, it's not surprising that the app will send aggregated location data to an advertiser. Trust me, Chipotle doesn't care who's house you visiting but they probably are interested in how far their nearest restaurant is from you.

If that rubs you the wrong way then DTEK will help you keep them in line. Actually, I guess it will just warn you that its happening. It's up you to delete the app in order to protect your privacy. The real purpose of DTEK is to differentiate the Priv by adding a pre-installed app whether it's useful or not.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-08-15 10:27 AM
    Yeah but it's only showing you this information, it can't do anything about it aside from you un-installing the app.

It's tantamount to saying "This phone is based on Privacy and although we can't stop your privacy from being breached we will show you that it is in fact being breached.". What's the point?

It's the same with the chrome browser. How many people will know that unless they get into the settings of the browser to turn off tracking then Chrome is mining your data every time you use it. And you can turn that off in any Android phone so I don't see what's special about DTEK. For a phone based on Privacy I don't see what it's doing to protect it besides showing you that you don't have any Privacy.
    I have to agree with this. I think DTEK is an interesting idea with great potential, but BlackBerry needs to take it a step further - starting, first and foremost, with an update to Android M.
    11-08-15 10:29 AM

Simple. Right now the only option is delete the app.

Isn't it better to know what is happening in the background than not knowing?

I don't have a Priv, but if compare it to a software I install on my PC and it is sending user logs all the time, I'm not going to use it. It's the same as unchecking the send user patterns anonymously to the company. I also turn that off.

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen likes this.
    11-08-15 10:33 AM
    Simple. Right now the only option is delete the app.

Isn't it better to know what is happening in the background than not knowing?

I don't have a Priv, but if compare it to a software I install on my PC and it is sending user logs all the time, I'm not going to use it. It's the same as unchecking the send user patterns anonymously to the company. I also turn that off.

Posted via CB10
    I guess it's better knowing but you don't need to be a genius or have DTEK to know that these things are occurring. And if the option is to not use the app then most people won't do that.
    11-08-15 10:36 AM
    I guess it's better knowing but you don't need to be a genius or have DTEK to know that these things are occurring. And if the option is to not use the app then most people won't do that.
    For most people it's better to see it... same reason why fitness trackers do well, because users can actually see how many steps or how lazy they were for the day. You are more inclined to do something about it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:39 AM
    Yes, but if you have a flashlight app that seems to be interested in your location, then at least you will know and can delete it right away. It's still a lot better than nothing, and will be complete when M comes.

It also makes some good suggestions for novice users on other things.

bluetroll likes this.
    11-08-15 10:40 AM
    Twitter must not like Priv hehe

11-08-15 10:43 AM
    Not only designed with M in mind but meanwhile educates users as to what their "free" apps are doing. Smh.
    Steelsheen likes this.
    11-08-15 10:44 AM
    Not only designed with M in mind but meanwhile educates users as to what their "free" apps are doing. Smh.
    It's true. Nothing is ever truly free!

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:45 AM
    Yes, but if you have a flashlight app that seems to be interested in your location, then at least you will know and can delete it right away. It's still a lot better than nothing, and will be complete when M comes.

It also makes some good suggestions for novice users on other things.

That is an instance where something like DTEK makes sense. The question is then how long until M actually arrives?
    11-08-15 10:47 AM
    That is an instance where something like DTEK makes sense. The question is then how long until M actually arrives?
    I've heard it will be sooner than most people expect. I'll have to leave it at that.

11-08-15 10:50 AM
    Twitter must not like Priv hehe

I was thinking that. Hopefully it will make some of the Apps a bit more honest.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:54 AM
    You can go into the app e.g. Twitter and Turn Off its Location access for example.
    11-08-15 10:55 AM

What are you saying? So if you download a flashlight app and dtek tells you 'hey this thing is accessing your location and your contacts 100 times a day' wouldn't you be suspicious and get rid of that app?

Dtek is only as smart as its users. It's not some kind of magical firewall. It's an advisor for you to decide who should be allowed to invade your privacy.

The only reason you all say it's 'useless' is because you see big apps like fb or twitter taking your location 500 times a day and say 'well why won't it stop it'.
    The action is on you, you decide the action. If it bothers you, delete facebook or email them and ask them why they are raping your location services.

Some people are just never happy. I bet facebook doesn't even launch without location services on android 6, will you say android 6 is useless then?
    tw1g_007, John Doe99 and bluetroll like this.
    11-08-15 01:10 PM

And in BB10, you think the apps were NOT accessing your location? Just because there was no app like DTEK to tell you so?

It would be a bit naive to say that you are not tracked on BB10.
    ssbtech likes this.
    11-08-15 01:30 PM
45 12