I guess version from 6th of august didn't fix it, as @BB_RobertL got info of jake2826 just the day before
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-08-19 05:52 AM
    Is this PLAY comment true, that newest version even doesn't monitor location and microphone on PRIV anymore?

L. L.

August 9, 2019

Update no longer monitors Camera, Location, Microphone and Videos on Blackberry PRIV???? .... Absolutely useless, hijacked and compromized by Android .... BB wake up and take note and FIX??

Source:
    For other standard languages, open this hl=en Link in other browser than chrome:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ews=true&hl=en
    08-10-19 02:31 AM
    Is this PLAY comment true, that newest version even doesn't monitor location and microphone on PRIV anymore?

Source:
    For other standard languages, open this hl=en Link in other browser than chrome:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ews=true&hl=en
    It is possible that BlackBerry ltd. lost the original engineers that developed this app and the ones that are designated to work on it don't fully understand its makeup. That is just my personal guess as to why the team has had such a difficult time understanding why it isn't working correctly on the Privs.
    It's too bad, as this is a fundamental part of the phone.
    08-10-19 01:59 PM
    Still not working on my PRIV after latest DTEK update. Latest version that I can find that tracks all permissions is 1.1.3.376
    @BB_RobertL
    @Jake2826 I have found an 1.1.4.429 laying around (backup from own device made August 2017), did you try that and does this older 1.1.3 of yours still complain about OS integrity?

I'm not too confident BlackBerry will fix this, so I start thinking about alternatives and APKmirrior is no Alternative especially for a security app.
    08-15-19 05:53 PM
    Any update on this?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-19 10:42 PM
    Any update on this?

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Two days ago I decided to do a device wipe on my PRIV. The device wipe did absolutely nothing for this issue on my phone. To say I am surprised would be an understatement.
    @BB_RobertL Please find someone who can fix the very broken DTEK app permission bug on PRIV. I did all I can do with the device wipe. The expectation for many is that BlackBerry at least knows what it is doing when it comes to security applications.
    gizmo21 likes this.
    09-24-19 05:59 PM
    Hi @Jake2826, I know you guys are frustrated on this, but the issue you are seeing is not being controlled by the DTEK app and thus I don't have any ability to release a patch for it
    09-24-19 06:04 PM
    Hi @Jake2826, I know you guys are frustrated on this, but the issue you are seeing is not being controlled by the DTEK app and thus I don't have any ability to release a patch for it
    Ok. Thanks for the response @BB_RobertL
    I guess I am just confused because DTEK says that I am running a genuine BlackBerry OS and that the integrity of the OS is good.
    09-24-19 06:25 PM
    @BB_RobertL So the situation is this:

* DTEK reported properly on our PRIV 6.0.1 all permissions used until DTEK version 1.1.3
    * we had no OS update since then as BlackBerry stopped OS support for this device so the OS and permission-sytem did not change
    * Then newer app updates of DTEK removed support for some permissions but still works with other permission on OS 6.0.1 and BlackBerry did not remove PLAY support for 6.0.1 devices on newest DTEK version so we would stay at least on a fully permission scanning version, but crippled it for us

* If our issue is not controlled by the DTEK app, what is the reason then? We already proved it worked before on version 1.1.3 and nothing "in the system" (as you called it) changed since then apart from BlackBerry own apps.

Is there a chance to have at least a secure download from BB of a version 1.1.3 for us discontinued users or not have you lost your older versions/code in your git?
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-24-19 07:01 PM
    @Jake2826, You are running a genuine BB OS & the Integrity is in tact, but those checks and what that data signifies has nothing to do with the DTEK permission monitoring framework. The Genuine OS/Integrity lets you know that the OS image you have was signed by BB, loaded securely, and has not been tampered with maliciously. The permission monitoring framework is another feature set that allows a user to get notifications/log actions when an installed application accesses one of the available permissions that the app has the ability to monitor.

the tldr; is that the permission sensors do not inform the OS sensor safeguard status.
    09-25-19 08:44 AM
    Hi @gizmo21, I have the understanding that what you are seeing on 1.1.3 is a bug where DTEK thinks it can monitor those sensors, but that the capability there is not functional which is why the team fixed the app bug in the next release where they correctly stopped showing those sensors as being monitorable (that isn't a word, but I've only just started to consume my coffee... apologies).
    I know the CB community has shown in 1.1.3 that the sensors appear in the "DTEK can monitor this sensor" view, but I haven't seen DTEK actually generate an event for the sensors that were visually disabled in >1.1.3. Let me know if you find differently though!
    Cheers,
    Robert
    09-25-19 08:54 AM
    You really want to tell me that all the correct entries and notifications on thirdparty camera apps were just coincidentally right on my device and the tests Jake did with stock DTEK on WhatsApp were fake ( /blackberry-priv-f440/dtek-priv-not-tracking-camera-video-usage-1163313-post13426678/ ) ?

On top you tell me all the marketing videos and blogs of BlackBerry for DTEK in 2015/2016 were wrong cause all that did not work?

https://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10...-by-blackberry

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2016...why-video-pics

I guess community would have told BlackBerry if it did not monitor that correctly.

So if you want I will revert my only everyday device (I have no gaming/testing device) to stock app 1.1.2. and try it for myself, and if this really monitors on latest 6.0.1 version it can't be something "in the system" but only in the app.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-25-19 04:22 PM
    You really want to tell me that all the correct entries and notifications on thirdparty camera apps were just coincidentally right on my device and the tests Jake did with stock DTEK on WhatsApp were fake
    Thank you @gizmo21. @bbrobert_l must have missed post # 24 in this thread where I show him that DTEK CORRECTLY caught the camera usage of WhatsApp in my test. I did not fake this test. According to Robert, this is impossible with any DTEK version, but I showed him that the original DTEK version could indeed accurately monitor the camera usage.
    09-25-19 04:38 PM
    So I did revert (hope to get 1.1.11 installed again from my backup) and I have a mixed bag:

* DTEK 1.1.2 can definitely track if a picture is taken with camera from 3rd party app.
    Working and correctly tracking on:
    ** WhatsApp (rather new version)
    ** google camera (not BlackBerry Camera - old version)
    ** Pixlr (rather old version)
    ** PeakFinder (new version)

DTEK on Priv not tracking camera and video usage-1569449613295.jpg

It is not tracked when using:
    * Cameringo+ (microphone is tracked)
    * Google Cardboard (microphone is tracked)
    * Skype (microphone is tracked)

So perhaps there are different ways to implement the camera shooting and so some were/can be tracked and some not.
    @BB_RobertL Is it that what you were trying to say, perhaps just letting us know some more details, instead of insisting it did never work at all would have caused less fuzz.

Btw (but out of focus of this thread):
    And nothing is tracked if the camera picture is just shown on display and nothing seems to be recorded ("standby camera").This is also the case if AR apps (like PeakFinder) only use the camera to overlay the picture in the display but not record it.
    09-25-19 05:13 PM
    @gizmo21 @Jake2826, Ah, maybe camera is fixable then in some situations. I did seem to miss post #24 (or at least didn't read it correctly), apologies for that. I don't think the other missing sensors can be revived though, but would be helpful if you can confirm internal findings. On the old DTEK do you see the other missing permissions being reported correctly (I think it is Phone & Calendar)?
    thx
    Robert
    09-25-19 05:26 PM
    Hhm doesn't your team have PRIVs and DTEK50 lying around anymore...

... but OK so if you try your best to get at least the camera/video permissions tracked again (where possible) for 6.0.1 , I will test some more things - Deal?
    -- I'm also open for a KEY2 QWERTZ and will then convert my PRIV to a testing device for you --

So I think Phone and Calendar always were just listed as permission given/not given but in the section NOT TRACKED, same as storage.

DTEK on Priv not tracking camera and video usage-1569451240013.jpg

But I don't know if a later version (> stock release < 1.1.4) could do that on PRIV and I don't know if KEYs can track that today, but that was also not in focus of this thread.
    09-25-19 05:41 PM
    @gizmo21, Yes, somebody somewhere has the right device, but converting it to exactly your OS version, etc etc will take time for that to get q'd up and run - especially if those devices are being used for other tests that also need specific builds/configs/etc. Figured since you are highly interested in this thread you would want an answer sooner rather than later and since your device already has the right set up...

I'll have the team look at resolving the camera issue and slot it into the next release.

Thanks for the persistence and help!

Robert
    gizmo21 and Jake2826 like this.
    09-25-19 07:03 PM
    @gizmo21 / @Jake2826, DTEK v 1.1.11.555 is out and should fix the issue you were seeing. Please let me know if you find differently!
    Thanks
    Robert
    gizmo21 and Jake2826 like this.
    10-03-19 03:18 PM
    @gizmo21 / @Jake2826, DTEK v 1.1.11.555 is out and should fix the issue you were seeing. Please let me know if you find differently!
    Thanks
    Robert
    First, thx for getting it even into that release slot.

Just a quick test,

* BlackBerry Camera isn't tracked (as I already saw in the stock app there seems to be different ways to implement camera-access )

* Google Camera is tracked. Video is tracked as "camera"-access. It seems now even just opening the camera (standby) is tracked, which is cool.

* WhatsApp seems to be working same as "Google camera", just activating the camera (no video or picture made) is tracked.

* PeakFinder as AR app is also tracked just in AR mode.

DTEK on Priv not tracking camera and video usage-1570136544841.jpg

Update:
    * Skype and also Cameringo+ which weren't tracked in stock DTEK are also tracked - so far only BlackBerry Camera seems to be not tracked.

Thx @Jake2836 for bringing that bug up.

And on top PRIV does not fail on OS integrity check
    I will freeze and backup this version.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10-04-19 at 01:26 AM.
    10-03-19 04:02 PM
    @BB_RobertL I am seeing basically the same as @gizmo21 has described. I tested with Instagram, WhatsApp and BlackBerry camera access. Instagram and WhatsApp reading access as @gizmo21 described. BlackBerry Camera is not reading as he also said.

This is definitely a big step forward.

I would also like to add that there is no small camera permission icon in this screen shot as there are for the other permissions.DTEK on Priv not tracking camera and video usage-notable-00002.jpegDTEK on Priv not tracking camera and video usage-notable-00003.jpeg
    gizmo21 likes this.
    10-03-19 05:50 PM
    Thanks @BB_RobertL
    Really happy when I saw Dtek update pop up in my Google play today.
    10-04-19 12:31 AM
    I would also like to add that there is no small camera permission icon in this screen shot as there are for the other permissions.
    True, forgot to mention this cosmetic bug.
    10-04-19 01:24 AM
47 12