11-13-15 11:31 AM
103 1234 ...
tools
    The point is to bring awarenss to people who don't know. DTEK doesn't say this data access is God or bad. All it says is that it happened.

And no one is saying facebook is good or bad, or coded properly or not, when it connects to your GPS 10,000 times a day. All we are doing with DTEK is letting you know it happened. At that point it's up to the user to decide if they're comfortable with it.

So stop your griping about "I'm a developer and it's not a big deal", or "I've been in the industry for 30 years". No one cares. The point is to share the stats that DTEK is giving and letting users decide if they're ok with it.

So please, if you have a Priv and your DTEK is counting this stuff, screenshot it and share!

Jeez. I thought CB would be all over this. Apparently not. The idea was much better received on Reddit, of all places.

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen and canuckvoip like this.
    11-09-15 01:36 AM
    I'm just using Snapchat as one example. There is no reason for it to access my location when I'm not using the app. I get that if I open it, it will need to access location, but why would it need to access location over 1000 times? I've opened the app maybe 3 times in 24 hours.

I get that it could just be bad coding, but doesn't this use up resources? Extra data? Extra battery power?

Just because there is no snooping doesn't mean it doesn't have other negative impacts.

Posted via CB10
    To the first point, I'm no Android expert but I've noticed that a lot of Android apps don't ever really shut down when you close them. All in would take is a silly decision by some coder to keep updating location on a schedule so it has the info ready when needed. Bad coding. If that's what it is... and I have no idea, never even used Snapchat!

As to the second part, absolutely! Battery drain, extra data, and potentially slowing the entire system ( well not just one app, but many) ... ever wonder why you get app updates that don't seem to add features? Every app/program has bugs. In over 40 years in the field I've yet to see a non-trivial app that is bug free. As bugs are found they are corrected. It's a slow process requiring regression testing, because often a fix in one place will trigger a bug elsewhere...

Again, to your example of Snapchat I have no idea. My point is just that people are too paranoid. Believe me these companies have their hands full just trying to support their apps! They wouldn't have the infrastructure (or interest) to collect huge volumes of data from tens of millions of phones, and then "process" it...

Now, having said all that, there are of course apps that would love to, for example, know the location of your device for the purpose of delivering locally-relevant ads. I for one actually appreciate that -- I'd much rather see ads that might be relevant to me in my location! And if I don't like that, then I either select apps that don't deliver ads, or pay for the "deluxe" version. Apps don't just happen, they cost lots of money to develop.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and fadi.alsaidi like this.
    11-09-15 02:12 AM
    ..... For example, maybe an recipe app needs my location and contacts. How would those 2 enhance my app experience?
    Again, pure paranoia and ignorance of programming. I'll bet you that recipe program has the ability to share a recipe with a friend... guess what? That means it needs access to your contacts.

I confidently predict that when Android has granular permissions (which I support) there will be an increase in people complaining about apps that "don't work" , because the user turned off some needed access.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 02:21 AM
    One final word (from me ... the app is named DTEK because what it does is detect actions and provide information. Great idea. In cyber security the key is detection not prevention. There is no way to make any connected system impenetrable. But there is no excuse for a company losing millions of credit card numbers because it took them three months to realize they were under attack. Proper monitoring would spot unusual activity in hours!

DTEK takes a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 02:28 AM
    One final word (from me ... the app is named DTEK because what it does is detect actions and provide information. Great idea. In cyber security the key is detection not prevention. There is no way to make any connected system impenetrable. But there is no excuse for a company losing millions of credit card numbers because it took them three months to realize they were under attack. Proper monitoring would spot unusual activity in hours!

DTEK takes a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Best post in defence of DTEK I've read so far.
    Well done.

It's revision 1 guys. This app will get better and better. Give it a break.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-09-15 05:54 AM
    Again, pure paranoia and ignorance of programming. I'll bet you that recipe program has the ability to share a recipe with a friend... guess what? That means it needs access to your contacts.

I confidently predict that when Android has granular permissions (which I support) there will be an increase in people complaining about apps that "don't work" , because the user turned off some needed access.

Posted via CB10
    Well, in BB10 we have had granular app permissions since day 1 in February 2013.
    I have not heard anyone complaining on crackberry that apps do not work well when you turn off their permissions.
    Some people prefer privacy over apps that ask for unnecessary permissions.
    Even if they are necessary, like location access for a map app, I can turn off location access (and I do) to the map app when I do not use it.
    Nothing revolutionary, although it sounds like it for someone using android.
    This is why I am not interested in the Priv at the moment. When they will allow me to unistall or control Google services and Google playstore from the device, I may think again about buying a Priv.
    That is unlikely to happen, but never say never. Legislation may come at some point.
    If anything, DTEK will alert more people to these practices.
    11-09-15 07:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Citing an example. Obv I'm not gonna complain about something stupid like uber sucks when I disable location permission. Or say whatsapp call is half baked if I disable microphone.

User is the part of the equation when it comes to security too lol and I think most of us here knows that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-09-15 07:51 AM
    I guess logic based analysis didn't occur in those 30 years of experience?

Posted via CB10
    Some deductive work is required on your behalf, but I am sure you will eventually manage.
    11-09-15 07:58 AM
    Question...when I click on Facebook to check how many times it accessed my location and then click again on the actual results it brings me to a page where I have the option to STOP or Uninstall the app. What does Stop do exactly?

11-09-15 08:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    I understand what your saying, however, what if this supposed recipe app that can share recipes is accessing your contacts 5 times per day and you have never shared a recipe with anyone?

I know it's a hypothetical, but it illustrates the point. Dtek won't stop it from happening (yet), but it will tell you things are happening, it will educate consumers that are not as knowledgeable as others, it could spark a change in what ppl expect from apps, maybe force developers to code better because now more ppl will complain about inefficiencies. (I'm not a developer, but I dot have interest in tinkering with code, so I get the difficulties that come with the job, this is not meant to be an insult in any way to developers!)

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 08:12 AM
    Some deductive work is required on your behalf, but I am sure you will eventually manage.
    Oh I'm managing just fine.
    You on the other hand may want to look into deducing why your 30 years of experience has deduced a deduction in logic.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 08:19 AM
    I understand what your saying, however, what if this supposed recipe app that can share recipes is accessing your contacts 5 times per day and you have never shared a recipe with anyone?

I know it's a hypothetical, but it illustrates the point. Dtek won't stop it from happening (yet), but it will tell you things are happening, it will educate consumers that are not as knowledgeable as others, it could spark a change in what ppl expect from apps, maybe force developers to code better because now more ppl will complain about inefficiencies. (I'm not a developer, but I dot have interest in tinkering with code, so I get the difficulties that come with the job, this is not meant to be an insult in any way to developers!)

Posted via CB10
    To the first part. You do realize that if an app wanted to steal your contacts it would only have to do it once, right? No reason to go back to the well after its been drained!

I don't believe DTEK will ever be positioned to STOP anything, just to detect and report. It's up to you to act (or not) on that information. Yes, you can stop the app (remove the app running in the background), or delete the app completely. And when MM comes you can tweak permissions as you like.

Personally I plan to also use DTEK to help me evaluate and choose between competing apps. With the extra info it gives I might get a feel for which app is most efficient.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-09-15 08:46 AM
    To the first part. You do realize that if an app wanted to steal your contacts it would only have to do it once, right? No reason to go back to the well after its been drained!

I don't believe DTEK will ever be positioned to STOP anything, just to detect and report. It's up to you to act (or not) on that information. Yes, you can stop the app (remove the app running in the background), or delete the app completely. And when MM comes you can tweak permissions as you like.

Personally I plan to also use DTEK to help me evaluate and choose between competing apps. With the extra info it gives I might get a feel for which app is most efficient.

Posted via CB10
    Stopping the app from working in the background would be cancelled the next time you open the app right?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 09:40 AM
    It's much much more likely some poor coding, and a lookup that maybe needs to be done once per conversation is in the wrong place and is bring done per entered line. Or worse, bad coding that causes the app to cycle through your entire address book rather than doing a proper inquiry.

I've seen programs on large servers that were coded so as to access a database 10,000 times needlessly... one line of code in the wrong place....
    Which brings up another possibility. That 'might' be some of the reason for the quick battery drain I've seen when installing various android apps via snap. It would also seem 'to me' that poorly installed programs is the reason for rapid battery drain when updating the stock BB10 OS.

DTEK might be a rather nice feature for finding poorly coded Android apps.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-09-15 09:41 AM
    Stopping the app from working in the background would be cancelled the next time you open the app right?

Posted via CB10
    From what I've observed on my Z10 is that many (all?) android apps keep running in the background. They are generally idle, just loaded in memory in case you run them again (they will start up faster). They do take up memory... and some do something every now and then.. for example keeping connected to your account perhaps...

If you remove/stop the app that you aren't using, then next time you run it, it simply loads again.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 12:21 PM
    Well, in BB10 we have had granular app permissions since day 1 in February 2013.
    I have not heard anyone complaining on crackberry that apps do not work well when you turn off their permissions.
    Some people prefer privacy over apps that ask for unnecessary permissions.
    Even if they are necessary, like location access for a map app, I can turn off location access (and I do) to the map app when I do not use it.
    Nothing revolutionary, although it sounds like it for someone using android.
    This is why I am not interested in the Priv at the moment. When they will allow me to unistall or control Google services and Google playstore from the device, I may think again about buying a Priv.
    That is unlikely to happen, but never say never. Legislation may come at some point.
    If anything, DTEK will alert more people to these practices.
    Some apps won't work without proper permissions and they can detect if access is blocked. There is an android app which spoofs information instead of blocking access to it which works great (xprivacy, root required).

Even on bb10 I installed a few android apps for which I couldn't block anything. It's just how it works. Native Whatsapp can't be installed at all if you turn off

As a final note, it depends on who you trust. Blackberry can also access your data like google can. From a privacy perspective bb is better but as security, I trust them the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 01:14 PM
    Some apps won't work without proper permissions and they can detect if access is blocked. There is an android app which spoofs information instead of blocking access to it which works great (xprivacy, root required).

Even on bb10 I installed a few android apps for which I couldn't block anything. It's just how it works. Native Whatsapp can't be installed at all if you turn off

As a final note, it depends on who you trust. Blackberry can also access your data like google can. From a privacy perspective bb is better but as security, I trust them the same.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I don't use those apps, I don't trust BlackBerry either.
    I prefer that it did not store my data anywhere in its cloud.

That's one of the reasons I don't like using blend. Don't want BlackBerry to have access to my computer. The phone is already enough!

This is the reason I stopped dual booting windows on my Linux PC's in the early 2000's.

I just did not trust microsoft with access to my computer.
    In retrospect I was proved right.

But, as you say, some are worse than others. For now, BlackBerry is not as bad as Google, facebook, microsoft, apple, but Chen has made considerable efforts to turn BlackBerry at least into a conduit for amazon and google to datamine our celphones.

They have not made Google playstore and amazon app store uninstallable, like the BlackBerry apps are on Priv.

Isn't that ironic? Sure, I know why..but that's not an excuse for selling your sole and core privacy values...

You can take the BlackBerry out of the BlackBerry but you cannot take "the google" out of the BlackBerry!
    ajwan likes this.
    11-09-15 07:28 PM
    DTEK is currently more of just a cool idea, but it will be amazing once we get native granular app permissions.
    11-09-15 07:43 PM
    I deactivated my picture password because it asked me to, how do I re-enable it?

11-09-15 07:53 PM
    Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping. Grow up and learn to code if you still want to be in business and do not snoop!
    That applies to Google first and foremost.
    If you make money on my data without my willing permission (that means no negative options) your are a thief!
    As simple as that.
    Make sure you include your credit card company on that list. Cause they're worse. They know WHERE You spend your money.

BB10 is Dead
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-09-15 08:04 PM
    Posted via CB10
    In Marshmallow, it's handled by spoofing too.

BB10 is Dead
    11-09-15 08:06 PM
    Of course I read the fine print. That's why I don't use Facebook, snapchat, Google, microsoft, Apple, android apps, amazon, twitter and all that crap.
    I
    I don't see why you even bother having a smartphone or computer.

BB10 is Dead
    11-09-15 08:11 PM
    Attachment 379668

To draw attention to the outrageous amount of snooping these companies do.

Posted via CB10
    Holy Crap, that's why I only have a Wifi only Android Tab with no Contacts or other information to steal.

I would never use WhatsApp on BB10 Either, you have to give them contact information to get it to work too, so there probably mining just the same.
    11-09-15 08:43 PM
    Re-enable picture password? Anyone????

11-09-15 08:44 PM
    Great! Then what.
    Exactly
    11-09-15 09:02 PM
103 1234 ...