Make sure you include your credit card company on that list. Cause they're worse. They know WHERE You spend your money.

BB10 is Dead
    Sure they do, but they don't track me 100 times per day.
    And in the country I am in now, they use anonymous cards for everything. You can pay your bus ride, your train ride, your food bill with a card you can get at a machine and you can add cash to it as you please.
    It's the most civilized country in the world. Others can learn from them how you can be high tech and maintain privacy at the same time...
    11-10-15 12:07 AM
    I don't see why you even bother having a smartphone or computer.

BB10 is Dead
    Imagine that I have been working in high tech for the past 30 years. Always had a computer. I use my Passport as a computer, and I have managed to avoid all of the above.
    Go figure! I spend more time on my computers and phone (which I use as a computer and TV) then probably most people.
    hbelkin likes this.
    11-10-15 12:11 AM
    Those of you that didn't know how fUgly Android is, now you know. I've been trying to deal with this issues since ICS due to the fact that I need 2 apps for business that don't run on BB10.

BB10 handles app permissions in perfect way. However, that probably pushed away lots of the developers. The hole industry is going this way, Windows 10 is slowly getting there too... thanks to all the sheeps that started this (the iPhone sheeps of 2007, 2008,2009).

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 12:15 AM
    Imagine that I have been working in high tech for the past 30 years. Always had a computer. I use my Passport as a computer, and I have managed to avoid all of the above.
    Go figure! I spend more time on my computers and phone (which I use as a computer and TV) then probably most people.
    And I thought I was the only one to escape those evil data miners! :-)

I also have used computers for over 40 years. I now hardly use my computer (only for business applications that only run on it)... I do almost everything on my phone since the Z10 came out. That includes shopping, banking, reading, etc. I use all the social apps, and I have 4 email accounts and 5 cloud services defined on my phone. I invoice and swipe credit cards on my Z10. I've used credit cards on my phone and many Web sites for many many years.

Any you know what? I've had my credit card stolen twice -- and both times by a clerk in a store who copied the info and sold it!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 02:08 AM
    And I thought I was the only one to escape those evil data miners! :-)

Any you know what? I've had my credit card stolen twice -- and both times by a clerk in a store who copied the info and sold it!

Posted via CB10
    Yep. Because some person will always be the weakest link.
    On the other hand, banks and credit cards are hacked all the time. Of course they won't advertise the hacks. They just increase the fees and we all pay for it.

P.S. Of course, if you use z10 and BB10, you are more or less safe, first and foremost because you are in the top 0.5% of smartphone users;-) Hackers have easier targets to get.
    11-10-15 07:47 AM
    Make sure you include your credit card company on that list. Cause they're worse. They know WHERE You spend your money.

BB10 is Dead
    Oh what a surprise!
    A company that loans you money is not allowed to know where you used their money? Isn't that kind of the point of their business?
    Should they just ignore shady transactions showing up in a country that you've never visited, too?

11-10-15 08:28 AM
    Yep. Because some person will always be the weakest link.
    On the other hand, banks and credit cards are hacked all the time. Of course they won't advertise the hacks. They just increase the fees and we all pay for it.

P.S. Of course, if you use z10 and BB10, you are more or less safe, first and foremost because you are in the top 0.5% of smartphone users;-) Hackers have easier targets to get.
    It's not always the devices that are attacked but also the transmissions to and from. You can have a safe phone, but if your netwoek is compromised, does it really do much good?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 08:40 AM
    It's not always the devices that are attacked but also the transmissions to and from. You can have a safe phone, but if your netwoek is compromised, does it really do much good?

Posted via CB10
    Of course you cannot protect yourself from the NSA and the GCHQ and probably not from the Chinese and Russian secret services, either. After all they broke into the US DoD computers...
    But at least you can avoid data collection by the likes of skype, linked-in, amazon, Google, facebook...

Some protection is always better than nothing.
    Most of us do close and lock the door when we leave home. That does not prevent determined thieves from breaking in, but it prevents wind and rain damage...
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-10-15 08:52 AM
    Another dumb thread. Don't use apps or social media and don't set any accounts on your phone. Simple as that.

The choice is yours but you just keep blaming everyone else but yourself. You signed up for it so get over it already.

Next you'll be screaming discrimination when app permissions come and you break the app but removing access the app requires but you don't think it should have.
    We this is the problem with your thinking kid. Our society is tethered to technology and it's a necessary evil in all our lives. Are we to be lambs lead to slaughter just because we have to use technology. Yes, there is information needed to make things work. However that information should be used for that and no other reason. I'm not naive to think that mining is going to stop because there is to much to be gained from the people and corporations that own the software. The thing that pizzes me off is if I purchase a piece of software or hardware in order to use it, I have to give software own permission to profit from me. Hmmm? What is the total cost of a product?

BlackBerry 10 or nothing!

Last edited by dphjeff; 11-10-15 at 01:18 PM.
    Cynycl likes this.
    11-10-15 09:33 AM
    That's always the case with free apps, freemium..
    Not 'always'.
    Plenty of us don't do any permissions abuse or snooping, we aren't all in the same boat.
    Toodeurep and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    11-10-15 01:38 PM
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-24.png
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-28.png
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-42.png
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-33.png
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-38.png
    DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-46.png

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-10-15 03:19 PM
    Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping.
    What law, exactly, is being broken?
    11-10-15 03:22 PM
    We this is the problem with your thinking kid. Our society is tethered to technology and it's a necessary evil in all our lives. Are we to be lambs lead to slaughter just because we have to use technology. Yes, there is information needed to make things work. However that information should be used for that and no other reason. I'm not naive to think that mining is going to stop because there is to much to be gained from the people and corporations that own the software. The thing that pizzes me off is if I purchase a piece of software or hardware in order to use it, I have to give software own permission to profit from me. Hmmm? What is the total cost of a product?

Well I don't disagree. I was responding to the post that stated:

Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping. Grow up and learn to code if you still want to be in business and do not snoop!
    That applies to Google first and foremost.
    If you make money on my data without my willing permission (that means no negative options) your are a thief!
    As simple as that.

That statement is stupid. You click the box that says yes steal all my info so I can fly some stupid duck through a bunch of plumbing pipes or load some I hope I get laid app...........ITS YOUR FAULT. Not Google or Nasa or Kaos.

I just think people are a little two damn entitled nowadays and expect the world to bend over and cater to whatever stupid thing they want to be excused for next.

Oh and just for chits and gigglies....life still goes on if you don't own a smartphone. People can have a regular old phone, a landline even, use a calculator to make change for a dollar (a pet peeve of mine) and a daytimer or gum wrapper to keep track of their oh so busy, I'm super productive, hey everybody....look at my unique Passport phone.....schedule.

Now where's my beer?
    Last edited by Cynycl; 11-10-15 at 09:39 PM.
    dphjeff likes this.
    11-10-15 03:35 PM
    Attachment 379686

These apps are crazy! This is within the last 24 hours, and it should be noted that I don't even have a sim card in the phone it's just on wifi only! My wifi must have been connected for about 14 hours.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it's getting your exact location through your GPS it's using an average based on the cell towers. Chances are every time your phone changes tower Snapchat is making a note of the location change.

If you go to the battery graph you can see how times GPS has actually been used. If it was used that many times it would look pretty much like a solid bar.
    11-10-15 04:37 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-24.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	379937

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-28.png 
Views:	663 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	379938

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-42.png 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	379939

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-33.png 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	379940

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-38.png 
Views:	664 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	379941

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-10-16-15-46.png 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	379942

With that app selection if dtek was of any benefit it would format your phone.
    11-10-15 05:14 PM
    Considering WhatsApp is now owned by Facebook.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    11-10-15 05:46 PM
    With that app selection if dtek was of any benefit it would format your phone.
    Hahaha I was bored last night..

Installed Montreal Canadiens app 3hours ago...

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    Attachment 379959
    Cynycl likes this.
    11-10-15 05:47 PM
    VSCOCam has shot to the top of my list for location access. Not great.
    11-10-15 06:03 PM
    Hahaha I was bored last night..

Installed Montreal Canadiens app 3hours ago...

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv
    Attachment 379959
    You should load the red wings app. That would be the first step to sorting you out
    11-10-15 06:10 PM
    Well I don't disagree. I was responding to the post that stated:

Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping. Grow up and learn to code if you still want to be in business and do not snoop!
    That applies to Google first and foremost.
    If you make money on my data without my willing permission (that means no negative options) your are a thief!
    As simple as that.

That statement is stupid. You click the box that says yes steal all my info so I can fly some stupid duck through a bunch of plumbing pipes or load some I hope I get laid app...........ITS YOUR FAULT. Not Google or Nasa or Kaos.

I just think people are a little two damn entitled nowadays and expect the world to bend of and cater to whatever stupid thing they want to be excused for next.

Oh and just for chits and gigglies....life still goes on if you don't own a smartphone. People can have a regular old phone, a landline even, use a calculator to make change for a dollar (a pet peeve of mine) and a daytimer or gum wrapper to keep track of their oh so busy, I'm super productive, hey everybody....look at my unique Passport phone.....schedule.

Now where's my beer?
    Well this is the problem with your thinking kid. There is nothing stupid about ducks and plumbing pipes and you didn't offer us a beer!

Cynycl likes this.
    11-10-15 07:56 PM
    Well this is the problem with your thinking kid. There is nothing stupid about ducks and plumbing pipes and you didn't offer us a beer!

Duckie any times you in the hood, be happy to feed you a waddle full.
    dphjeff likes this.
    11-10-15 08:47 PM
    You should load the red wings app. That would be the first step to sorting you out
    Look at what it's at now!!

DTEK Megathread-screenshot_2015-11-11-00-42-05.png

11-10-15 11:56 PM
    Never mind!
    Last edited by dphjeff; 11-11-15 at 05:02 PM.
    11-11-15 07:17 AM
    Ok let me get this right, Dtek does nothing but shows you Android Apps are mining on your device and nothing else? Hmmm didn't we all know that? How does that make the Priv more secure? Is BlackBerry going to make changes to the App to block mining or are they going to wait for Marshmallow for that?

I imagine the whole idea was to let the user know about the permissions usage, actual modification of a third party App could land them in trouble.

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    Last edited by paulwallace1234; 11-11-15 at 08:33 AM.
    11-11-15 07:22 AM
    Never mind!
    Last edited by dphjeff; 11-11-15 at 05:02 PM.
    11-11-15 07:36 AM
103 12345