Post here screenshots of apps that are accessing your contacts microphone, camera, and location hundreds of times a day. Let's build a database of examples that our privacy is being violated not once or twice, but hundreds of times a day.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:02 PM
    And how do we go about accessing this data?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-08-15 07:10 PM
    And how do we go about accessing this data?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    In the DTEK app available on a BlackBerry Priv (I don't have one). You can see notifications of information access on a per-app basis.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:19 PM
    What's the point of doing this?
    11-08-15 07:20 PM
    Post here screenshots of apps that are accessing your contacts microphone, camera, and location hundreds of times a day. Let's build a database of examples that our privacy is being violated not once or twice, but hundreds of times a day.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't this going to be every app? Most BlackBerry 10 apps wanted one of these too.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:31 PM

DTEK Megathread-1447032936997_828684.png

To draw attention to the outrageous amount of snooping these companies do.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 07:36 PM
    Great! Then what.
    11-08-15 07:36 PM
    DTEK Megathread-img_20151108_210856.jpg

These apps are crazy! This is within the last 24 hours, and it should be noted that I don't even have a sim card in the phone it's just on wifi only! My wifi must have been connected for about 14 hours.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:10 PM
    That's always the case with free apps, freemium..
    11-08-15 08:12 PM
    Facebook worst for me, but only 113 times so far.
    11-08-15 08:13 PM
    So much paranoia! If you've never developed software, I guess that could excuse it...

Most of these accesses are due to features of the app that you WANT. Where the counts are WAY high doesn't mean anyone is snooping! It's much much more likely some poor coding, and a lookup that maybe needs to be done once per conversation is in the wrong place and is bring done per entered line. Or worse, bad coding that causes the app to cycle through your entire address book rather than doing a proper inquiry.

I've seen programs on large servers that were coded so as to access a database 10,000 times needlessly... one line of code in the wrong place....

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:20 PM
    Any app developer knows that querying content can happen thousands of times per minute. If you want an app to compare the list of users in your area to your contact list, how many times will the database need to be accessed? Are you more concerned about the apps that accessed your contacts 1000 times or 20?

BlackBerry created a privacy feature that is of little use to anyone other than for marketing purposes.
    Mansoor2 likes this.
    11-08-15 08:22 PM
    This app is as unless as the "app monitor" for Android apps on bb10. It's odd they couldn't have implemented app controls like what's to come on marshmallow. One plus has that in their "os" and it's based on lollipop as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:24 PM
    That's actually the only? good thing about DTEK: to alert people of what is happening to them!

We on BB10 are aware of all the data mining and location monitoring that is going on on our phones,and can deny apps that access.

But most people who use android are really not aware of the immensity of this activity.

Maybe more will wake up and demand their privacy rights be respected from the likes of Google, facebook, twitter, etc.

Priv cannot guard you privacy, but at least it makes everyone aware of the illegality of the data mining activities on your phone!
    dphjeff and BallRockReaper like this.
    11-08-15 08:46 PM
    This app is as unless as the "app monitor" for Android apps on bb10. It's odd they couldn't have implemented app controls like what's to come on marshmallow. One plus has that in their "os" and it's based on lollipop as well.

Posted via CB10
    Several third-party ROMs have it. I have had it app permissions since ICS IIRC.
    11-08-15 08:47 PM
    So much paranoia! If you've never developed software, I guess that could excuse it...

Most of these accesses are due to features of the app that you WANT. Where the counts are WAY high doesn't mean anyone is snooping! It's much much more likely some poor coding, and a lookup that maybe needs to be done once per conversation is in the wrong place and is bring done per entered line. Or worse, bad coding that causes the app to cycle through your entire address book rather than doing a proper inquiry.

I've seen programs on large servers that were coded so as to access a database 10,000 times needlessly... one line of code in the wrong place....

Posted via CB10
    Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping. Grow up and learn to code if you still want to be in business and do not snoop!
    That applies to Google first and foremost.
    If you make money on my data without my willing permission (that means no negative options) your are a thief!
    As simple as that.
    11-08-15 08:50 PM
    Bad coding is not an excuse for illegal snooping. Grow up and learn to code if you still want to be in business and do not snoop!
    If you make money on my data without my willing permission (that means no negative options) your are a thief!
    As simple as that.
    Illegal?

Problem being that MSFT, Facebook, BlackBerry et al cannot cast any stones.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-08-15 08:55 PM
    As simple as that.
    Read the fine print. No thievery going on. The minute you turn on the phone or open an app you have given them the right to go in and data mine and make money off your info.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 08:58 PM
    Illegal?

Problem being that MSFT, Facebook, BlackBerry et al cannot cast any stones.
    Yes, illegal, because even the ignorant people who think they get something for free were not educated by Google, facebook and the like what they actually pay with for that "free service".

There is no "free service" . You and all of us pay for it.

At the very least you pay with your data plan, power consumption of your battery. Not even you thought about that.

Then there is the real and actual cost of the information that is gathered about you, whose price you do not know at the moment and could skyrocket later in case it damages you in any way.
    Last edited by sorinv; 11-08-15 at 09:53 PM.
    chopachain and dphjeff like this.
    11-08-15 09:00 PM
    I'm just using Snapchat as one example. There is no reason for it to access my location when I'm not using the app. I get that if I open it, it will need to access location, but why would it need to access location over 1000 times? I've opened the app maybe 3 times in 24 hours.

I get that it could just be bad coding, but doesn't this use up resources? Extra data? Extra battery power?

Just because there is no snooping doesn't mean it doesn't have other negative impacts.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    11-08-15 09:06 PM
    As simple as that.
    Another dumb thread. Don't use apps or social media and don't set any accounts on your phone. Simple as that.

The choice is yours but you just keep blaming everyone else but yourself. You signed up for it so get over it already.

Next you'll be screaming discrimination when app permissions come and you break the app but removing access the app requires but you don't think it should have.
    BigAl_BB9900 and fadi.alsaidi like this.
    11-08-15 09:09 PM
    Read the fine print. No thievery going on. The minute you turn on the phone or open an app you have given them the right to go in and data mine and make money off your info.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Posted via CB10
    Of course I read the fine print. That's why I don't use Facebook, snapchat, Google, microsoft, Apple, android apps, amazon, twitter and all that crap.

I think I know better than you. I have been in this field for over 30 years. I know it is possible to avoid this BS.

I can guarantee you that in the Google or Facebook fine print (I don't use them, so I cannot verify now) they do not indicate to the user that all their data collection he/she agrees to is going to contribute to the drain of their phone battery and consume data.
    Anybody can sue them just for that!

Of course most people don't read the fine print. That's what these data thieves rely on.
    Last edited by sorinv; 11-08-15 at 10:22 PM.
    sonicpix likes this.
    11-08-15 09:57 PM
    Another dumb thread. Don't use apps or social media and don't set any accounts on your phone. Simple as that.

The choice is yours but you just keep blaming everyone else but yourself. You signed up for it so get over it already.

Next you'll be screaming discrimination when app permissions come and you break the app but removing access the app requires but you don't think it should have.
    You have no clue what I know and what I do. You use android.
    11-08-15 09:58 PM
    I think I know better than you. I have been in this field for over 30 years. I know it is possible to avoid this BS.

I can guarantee you that in the Google or Facebook fine print (I don't use them, so I cannot verify now) they do not indicate to the user that all their data collection he/she agrees to is going to contribute to the drain of their phone battery and consume data.
    Anybody can sue them just for that!
    I guess logic based analysis didn't occur in those 30 years of experience?

Posted via CB10
    11-08-15 10:47 PM
    Good thing about this is that when Marshmallow is released, we can make use of granular app permissions together with this.

For time being, if I'm unhappy that an app is requesting my location, and I judged that to be suspicious, I can just delete that app. For example, maybe an recipe app needs my location and contacts. How would those 2 enhance my app experience? I would immediately be alert.
    11-09-15 01:15 AM
103 123 ...