.apk files are scanned with BlackBerry Guardian before they are installed on BlackBerry 10 devices.

I would expect that similar inspection shall take place when .apk files are installed on PRIV.

I wonder if such inspection is governed by DTEK.

DTEK - @Bla1ze : Homework-img_20150923_193216.png

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 09:18 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry will be the one manufacturer who found a way to ensure that Android can't be rooted on their devices.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    It's not magic, it's been done before. It just usually leads to poor sales in a consumer focused devices, as rooting was something that Android power users expected.

Now if the PRIV is a enterprise focused device... they I expect it will have a locked boot rom. But I'm afraid that most of the things that will make the PRIV attractive to the enterprise customer, will make it unattractive to the average consumer who would rather not have their battery life affected by 10 different BlackBerry Experience Apps running in the background.

I hope there is an "App" to easily turn off or on all the BlackBerry stuff....
    Witmen and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-30-15 09:25 AM
    It's not magic, it's been done before. It just usually leads to poor sales in a consumer focused devices, as rooting was something that Android power users expected.

Now if the PRIV is a enterprise focused device... they I expect it will have a locked boot rom. But I'm afraid that most of the things that will make the PRIV attractive to the enterprise customer, will make it unattractive to the average consumer who would rather not have their battery life affected by 10 different BlackBerry Experience Apps running in the background.

I hope there is an "App" to easily turn off or on all the BlackBerry stuff....
    I'd like to be able to get those BB apps on ANY android!
    anischab and thinkinfinity like this.
    09-30-15 10:20 AM
    I wonder if BlackBerry will be the one manufacturer who found a way to ensure that Android can't be rooted on their devices.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Ain't going to happen unless they lock down the boot loader AND crypto sign the software with robust verification at boot. Anything less is fair game for the root community, and even a locked boot loader is ultimately vulnerable to a brute force attack - although it might take rather a long time before it is broken.

An unrootable android device will go down like a lead balloon as far as the android end-user community is concerned. For the enterprise security admins it will be the best thing since sliced bread but users will hate a locked down device just as much as they hate BBOS and BB10 devices.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-30-15 11:27 AM
    DTEK stands for "Definitive Tactical Etymological Kvech", a preinstalled and kernel-embedded app that apologizes for naming the device "Priv".

Posted via CB10
    I really did laugh out loud! Very nice.
    09-30-15 01:05 PM
    An unrootable android device will go down like a lead balloon as far as the android end-user community is concerned. For the enterprise security admins it will be the best thing since sliced bread but users will hate a locked down device just as much as they hate BBOS and BB10 devices.
    I highly doubt that MOST Android users care if their phone's root is locked or not.
    LazyEvul and Rowan M like this.
    09-30-15 03:54 PM
    I began with the simplest... googled it...
    Interesting...
    So what you're trying to say is, you got nothing on it.
    09-30-15 03:59 PM
    I highly doubt that MOST Android users care if their phone's root is locked or not.
    Correct

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 04:10 PM
    More Android users root than iPhone users jailbreak, that's for sure (although still a minority). But, if they lock it down as posted above the appeal to enteprise might make the difference in lost sales.

And let's not kid ourselves - the Priv (with PKB) is not going to make a significant dent in Samsung's sales or lower priced oems. We'll be lucky if it's priced around $599 so even by going Android the main target of this phone is definitely Enterprise (with the added hope of picking up some marketshare in the consumer sphere).

I hope they do well enough to stay in the handset business as I love the touch capacitive pkb, but that's not the majority of users these days so if it turns out to be unrootable that won't make or break things, imho.
    thinkinfinity likes this.
    09-30-15 04:59 PM
    DTEK stands for "Definitive Tactical Etymological Kvech", a preinstalled and kernel-embedded app that apologizes for naming the device "Priv".

Posted via CB10
    Good one! How about Dual booT hypErvisor Kernel. Lmao!

Rocking a Z30 on Verizon
    09-30-15 05:12 PM
    Ain't going to happen unless they lock down the boot loader AND crypto sign the software with robust verification at boot. Anything less is fair game for the root community, and even a locked boot loader is ultimately vulnerable to a brute force attack - although it might take rather a long time before it is broken.

Expect their priority to be Enterprise, not the consumer community.
    10-01-15 12:02 AM

Wait a minute ... I believe there's a lot of people (99.9% of my friends using Android) that don't even know what ROM/ROOT mean. They use it like you use your dish washer and have no interest at all for anything technical. More, those "privacy concerned/aware" users only know/understood one thing : the devil is in unverified/untrusted sources/sites. It is highly disputable for many advanced users but Joe and Marry don't bother with subtleties. Those who fair "hackers" will be happy 100% with that.
    I'm not sure there's (relevant) statistics about rooted Android devices but I'd be really surprised it's over 10% (including the geeks having multiple active devices).

Mister Chen, please : lock this PRIV system files to death.
    The day it is rooted would be the most damageable for the BlackBerry brand credibility, ever.
    At the opposite, the day it can survive a hackathon, they become the first brand to gain credibility when putting the words "security" and "Android" together. [please note: I'm talking wide audience, not secured Android for work purposes with dedicated enterprise grade solutions on device + back end]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-01-15 at 02:37 AM. Reason: My last sentence was way too much theatrical and missed the positive side of things.
    gvs1341, Rowan M, FCSC and 3 others like this.
    10-01-15 02:22 AM
    I love how any randomly named Dtek, D-tek or Dtec website will be flooded by requests
    10-01-15 02:48 AM
    If you are able to root the phone, you will be able to remove it. Knowing that 99% of Android phones are rootable, I would say you can remove it. Not sure if that would be wise, however.
    What does 'root' mean?

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 02:58 AM
    What does 'root' mean?

Posted via CB10
    It's when a man puts his............. never mind!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    10-01-15 03:11 AM
    What does 'root' mean?

Posted via CB10
    In short : replace the original Android distribution (OS) by another one, where user rights ('privil�ges') are wider and allow features and capabilities enhancements, deletion ('bloatware') or replacements, at the risk of a weaker protection.
    10-01-15 04:30 AM
    In short : replace the original Android distribution (OS) by another one, where user rights ('privil�ges') are wider and allow features and capabilities enhancements, deletion ('bloatware') or replacements, at the risk of a weaker protection.
    Close. Root means gain super user access, in order to do those things.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-15 05:43 AM
    What does 'root' mean?

Posted via CB10
    In normal terms, it allows the user to have access to the root files of the phone. It's essentially like if Windows locked you out of the System Files folder in the C drive. It's normally done by finding an exploit to allow the phone to be unlocked for access to the root files. Without certain apps, however, having a rooted device is of no use. Many people use SuperSU which gives the user the ability to allow other apps access to the root of the device. You'd need this and a root file explorer to do any manual root work.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-15 05:56 AM
    I'm not sure there's (relevant) statistics about rooted Android devices but I'd be really surprised it's over 10% (including the geeks having multiple active devices).
    Last time I tried to research this, I came up with about 25 percent of Android devices rooted. That seem high, but then those are probably the same people who are buying one or more new phones a year.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-15 06:16 AM
    A-ha!

http://www.dtek.com/en/home

:-P

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 08:16 AM
    A-ha!

DTEK

:-P

Posted via CB10
    Ohhh boy, either that BlackBerry was in use by a DTEK employee or BlackBerry is setting themselves up for another BBX mishap X_X

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    10-01-15 08:33 AM
    I think Enterprise would not want users to have access to the ROOT - even if it can be detected and locked out.

But I think a large number of Sideloading, Leak installing Power users would very much like to play around with the ROOT. How many of those tech writers and other Android sites that are talking about the PRIV right now are going to be less interested in the PRIV if it is locked down?

While most user don't root... I think in a way the enthusiasm that those power users have for a device, does affect the buying decisions of the non-power users.

It's kinda one of those danged if you do and danged if you don't situations. But based on their Security is what we do outlook, I think that have to lock every door, window and crack they can. And hope that the keyboard and security will do something it hasn't done too much of it the past.... sell.
    10-01-15 10:14 AM
    But I think a large number of Sideloading, Leak installing Power users would very much like to play around with the ROOT. How many of those tech writers and other Android sites that are talking about the PRIV right now are going to be less interested in the PRIV if it is locked down?
    I don't know. Not all of those sites emphasize rooting, because they know that not all the people who might read them understand or are interested in rooting. As far as I can tell, the tech sites are interested in Priv because it's something new and different, and looks like a kind of "comeback" story for BlackBerry. Contrary to what many say around here, I don't think all or even most of those Android users have animosity toward BlackBerry. Many are people who moved on years ago, but would be pleased to see something competitive from the company. At least, that's the impression I get.

But I agree that BlackBerry's security reputation is on the line here, and there will be an expectation that the phone is locked down pretty tight.
    10-01-15 12:46 PM
    Ohhh boy, either that BlackBerry was in use by a DTEK employee or BlackBerry is setting themselves up for another BBX mishap X_X

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    It's okay, it'll be DTEK10 by release time lol. Actually that sounds pretty good. Detecting without the g.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 12:56 PM
    It's Dtek a character on Defiance?
    mrjmc99 likes this.
    10-01-15 03:32 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD