Assuming that BlackBerry cannot review the code of the apps, how do we know that there isn't a command in an app which activates malicious behavior after let's say 1 year after installation date or on the 1st January 2016 or after launching the app 500 times or something.

If such an app has access permission to your stuff it can connect to any server (internet permissions are always given) and that's it.

Now, I can imagine that theoretically one could cover all these scenarios in the testing environment, but realistically, how likely is it that BlackBerry got it all covered? Neither Apple nor Google got it covered.
    Of course something like this can happen and I don't think any testing could prevent something like this. But "rest assured" a lot of your contact data is already online. If "person X" has you in their contacts, there is a high possibility that you also have them in your contacts. Based on other people's contacts list, yours can be compiled with a 80% certainty.
    10-29-15 09:47 AM
    Assuming that BlackBerry cannot review the code of the apps, how do we know that there isn't a command in an app which activates malicious behavior after let's say 1 year after installation date or on the 1st January 2016 or after launching the app 500 times or something.

If such an app has access permission to your stuff it can connect to any server (internet permissions are always given) and that's it.

Now, I can imagine that theoretically one could cover all these scenarios in the testing environment, but realistically, how likely is it that BlackBerry got it all covered? Neither Apple nor Google got it covered.
    BB wouldnt, in fact no one would catch that probably. Its the same with a address book type app....it obviously will need/have access to your contacts and you dont really know what the dev is going to do with them. There is a level of trust that we have to give devs or dont use their product. BB, Apple and Google can only do so much and stuff can always get by.
    10-29-15 09:52 AM
    NSA surely?
    Aside from NSA, of course the user?

"But I say this to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you;" - Matthew 5:44
    10-29-15 10:07 AM
78 ... 234