http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...inkId=18290273

Seems like many wishes here granted. Lol
    00stryder and Greened like this.
    10-27-15 11:02 AM
    More about Dtek
    Protect Your Privacy with DTEK by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry

Edit: Lol. Gotta refresh my screen before posting!
    10-27-15 11:11 AM
    Agreed for better battery life
    That is why DOZE is a MUST in 6.0 onwards - OEMs cannot interfere with it nor the battery stats it gives users. I would expect it to get more powerful in future versions.
    10-27-15 11:34 AM
    Enable Factory Reset Protection: If your PRIV is ever stolen, one of the first things the thief will want to do is to reset it to Factory settings in order to remove the screen lock. Factory Reset Protection ensures that the thief cannot reset the device without your Google account information. This is both an effective theft deterrent and a great way to make sure that your data isn’t accidentally wiped by someone using your device.
    This will be good if it still works when the phone is ADB'd to a computer and wiped from there...
    10-27-15 11:54 AM
    So does this tell you that an app is stealing your data or does it actually stop it from stealing your data?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:51 PM
    So does this tell you that an app is stealing your data or does it actually stop it from stealing your data?

Posted via CB10
    DTEK should be able to check what apps are using and then you can turn off permissions for apps BUT then the app might not work correctly. And remember there are legit reasons some apps need access and they are not stealing your data.
    10-27-15 01:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Neither. It just tells you that an app is accessing some of your data. You don't know exactly what that data is (you know the general category of data, e.g., contacts), or why the application is accessing it.

By the way, could this feature not be in conflict with doze mode in Marshmallow? I would suspect everything would have to be quiet, including DTEK. Only phone-calls and a handful of other notifications are allowed in doze mode.
    10-27-15 01:15 PM
    BTW the app permissions for this appears to be just like Android 6 is. The BB software might alert you and monitor the apps but the actual mechanism to limit the permissions is the stock Android method. Not totally sure yet

Here is default android permissions screen for facebook for example

DTEK in Action-fldoznqv061aod6yeh8661tqqp80f3ihqviosfmzzio.png
    10-27-15 01:15 PM
    you should be able to check and turn off permissions for apps BUT then the app might not work correctly. And remember there are legit reasons some apps need access and they are not stealing your data.
    The way it will work in Marshmallow is that denied data will be spoofed so that app keeps on working. But then again.... this slider won't be shipping with Marshmallow....
    10-27-15 01:16 PM
    That could get real annoying real fast. There has to be a way to specify under what circumstances you want to be notified as well as turn it off all together. Silent option would be the best. You can review the logs at your own leisure, but no notifications are sent.
    My thoughts exactly. Unless its pointing out something major, i'd like it NOT to point out the obvious. Otherwise that app gets deleted. I don't even want it clouding my notification bar. .. I would want to go INTO the app to see whats up.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-27-15 02:20 PM
    If DTEK is monitoring our apps.. whose monitoring DTEK ? .... Google ?
    10-27-15 02:25 PM
    If DTEK is monitoring our apps.. whose monitoring DTEK ? .... Google ?
    NSA surely?
    zephyr613 and 00stryder like this.
    10-27-15 02:29 PM
    I actually think that this is a great feature. If it's matched with marshmallow, it will definitely be a win!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:29 PM
    That is why DOZE is a MUST in 6.0 onwards - OEMs cannot interfere with it nor the battery stats it gives users. I would expect it to get more powerful in future versions.
    The biggest battery eaters on Android are Google Play Services and Google Play Store so they came up with DOZE to tame their own services. Nice.
    10-27-15 04:10 PM
    Go read the Arstechnica review on Marshmallow. Has a section on Doze and how developers can break it by flagging their notifications as high priority. It's open to abuse, let's hope it isn't.
    10-27-15 04:14 PM
    I ordered a Priv last night to hold me over till the 950xl comes out. In reality I just want to check out the slider hardware. Hate android.

Posted via Silver Passport.
    lift likes this.
    10-27-15 04:25 PM
    When I used App ops, I was able to control system level apps, but it resulted in really bad things happening. The system level stuff really does need most of the permissions to run correctly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    So, it's not totally private, at least not from BilderGoog, thus it's named with only part of the word?
    10-27-15 05:23 PM
    So, it's not totally private, at least not from BilderGoog, thus it's named with only part of the word?
    The thing is, devs use Google play services (which is a system level app) in their apps for simple things such as location or notifcations. So blocking access for Google play services to thins like location is not something anyone should do. Instead, blocking individual apps from accessing your location is a simple and elegant solution.
    10-27-15 05:31 PM
    I would want DTEK on in the most visible way possible. Even LED flash red yellow green repeatedly so I know DTEK is trying to tell me something, then be able to whitelist or blacklist whatever activity it was alerting me to.

DTEK exists to be noticed, or disabled altogether. I fear that all the privacy violations surfaced by DTEK may backfire on BlackBerry.

Users may think that DTEK or BlackBerry's Android is the CAUSE of the privacy warnings (where they were blissfully ignorant of all the privacy breaches on 'other' Android OS), which would be the worst case scenario, or if DTEK allows blocking activities, DTEK will be seen "Chen LIED! It does NOT run the Google!"
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 10-27-15 at 08:02 PM.
    10-27-15 06:20 PM
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...inkId=18290273

Seems like many wishes here granted. Lol
    Read this article earlier today. You ever get the feeling that BlackBerry is lurking around the CB forums a lot more than we give them credit for?

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    10-27-15 06:58 PM
    So your only defense is to deny the app permissions when installing them. If DTEK notifies you of weird app behavior it is already too late.... correct?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 07:42 PM
    So is it a true firewall? If so it will be great, we can actually install ANY APP that we want and then disable access to location/contact/etc., but will the app still run?
    Remember when you deny permissions to some apps, they won't run.
    If DTEK just "informs" you what happened, then it's useless. It needs to allow you to actually stop it from whatever it is that app is trying to access. Perhaps create a "fake" contacts and "fake" location, etc.. This was all available and I think still available on custom roms.
    10-27-15 07:48 PM
    I ordered a Priv last night to hold me over till the 950xl comes out. In reality I just want to check out the slider hardware. Hate android.

I'm pretty much on the same page as you are. If MS had a firm ship date for the 950XL, I wouldn't even need to look at the Priv, but I'd still appreciate your review of the slider hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:56 PM
    I would really would like to know if Dtek it's only an alert system or it can also block permissions from apps?

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:57 PM
    I'm pretty much on the same page as you are. If MS had a firm ship date for the 950XL, I wouldn't even need to look at the Priv, but I'd still appreciate your review of the slider hardware.

Posted via CB10
    Will do

10-27-15 11:01 PM
78 1234