This is my first post in the forums so I apologize if something like this has already been posted, or if theres a better method to ask this question (which is located at the bottom of this post)

So I currently own a Q10, and am wanting to move to an Android Blackberry device. I am struggling to pick between the Priv from last year, and the upcoming (hopefully sooner than later) DTEK 60.

I've of course done some side by side comparisons with specs, but I unfortunately haven't even been able to get a Priv in my hands yet to look at.

Some of the things that are deciding factors for me are price, durability, front facing camera clarity (I'll admit, I am excited to potentially use Snapchat), and ease of use/functionality (I will really miss the swipe up to open feature of the Q10).

So, tl;dr would be:

Who of you that has owned a PRIV would be able to shed some insight on the above factors? Things you wish the PRIV did better? Things you think it does great? Would it be better to wait out for the DTEK60?
    10-25-16 05:53 PM
    I don't know much about the DTEK60 or 50 for that matter I'm learning about them but I will say Priv is a wonderful phone
    andy957 and RobertP1 like this.
    10-25-16 06:04 PM
    If a keyboard isn't important, then definitely a dtek 60 as it has better specs as well as the fingerprint sensor, not to mention it appears to be built better!
    10-25-16 06:45 PM
    The front facing cam isn't that great on the Priv. It's fine if it's brightly lit though.

The 820 processor in the DTEK60 entices me though. More than twice the processing power of the 808 in the Priv.

So camera and processing power I'd say go with the DTEK60. I love my keyboard so I like the Priv.

Really want to upgrade to something with more processing power though.
    10-25-16 06:48 PM
    Someone can clarify for me whether the Dtek60 has wireless charging? I believe it does not and while some don't like that feature, I really like Qi charging. No stress on the port, no juggling which cable side is up or threading it in a dark room. No cable when you suddenly grab the phone and yank the cable or catch the cable on a foot or hand.
    10-25-16 08:12 PM
    go for the 60, the priv is good but its old now and I never use the KB
    10-25-16 08:20 PM
    I picked the Priv because I thought I couldn�t survive without the keyboard but honestly since I purchased the Priv I barely use the keyboard. I would purchase the Dtek60 if you have no use for the keyboard. It's newer and probably offers much better things than the Priv. I will wait for the Mercury and see if it can give me something better than the Priv... even if I don't use the keyboard, I like to have the option.
    10-25-16 11:31 PM
    Your decision point all boils down to how badly you want the physical keyboard. I've been using the Samsung Note series and a Q10 as a second phone before I purchased my new Priv last month. Couldn't be happier. However, the Priv vkb is so good that I seldom use the pkb. Nice to have though for longer inputs that require accuracy and full view of the Priv screen.

If you won't be longing for the pkb, I'd say go for the DTEK60.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-26-16 01:15 AM
    Keep in mind that jumping from the Q10 to a different OS will take some time. There are things that you will find BB10 does better than Android and things Android does better than BB10. Just expect a learning curve and the fact some things are different 😀

As far as the device is concerned, specs wise the DTEK60 is the 'better' device and so it should be considering the Priv is 11 months old. That being said the Priv is not slow at all and handles Android MM very well!
    The Priv's rear facing camera is good but a tad bit slow, it's front facing is not the best, just good enough for social media not much use for anything else.

To me it would boil down to the keyboard and battery but that's my personal choice and I would always go for the physical keyboard 😁 heavily use short cuts and the additional screen real estate from the slider is tops!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 01:58 AM
    If a PKB isn't important, I would go for the DTEK60. I would have one, but nothing about CDMA compatible for VZW yet.
    Have the Priv now.
    10-26-16 08:06 AM
    I like the pkb on the Priv. It took awhile to get used to it coming from the Q10. But now with the price drop on the Priv I am going to buy an extra one for backup.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 09:35 AM
    The Priv is pretty inexpensive right now. The specs on the DTEK60 are better, so like others have said, if a pkb isn't a must, go with the DTEK60. Otherwise the Priv will work quite well.
    10-26-16 11:40 AM
    Someone can clarify for me whether the Dtek60 has wireless charging? I believe it does not and while some don't like that feature, I really like Qi charging. No stress on the port, no juggling which cable side is up or threading it in a dark room. No cable when you suddenly grab the phone and yank the cable or catch the cable on a foot or hand.
    The Dtek60 does NOT have wireless charging
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 02:44 PM
    I bought my second Priv three days ago. The deciding factor for me is the keyboard. I think that if you can live without the physical keys, you should go with the DTEK60.

The reason why I'm on my second Priv is because I broke my first one. I was flagging down an Uber after a party with my phone's screen and it slipped from my hand, flew ten feet in the air, then landed on the pavement. Apart from some minor scuffs on the corner, it looked fine. However, a horizontal section in the middle of the screen no longer detects any touch input (or should I say, "DTEKs any touch input").

I've dropped my phone many times before and it has been totally fine. Just don't throw it in the air onto the asphalt. Apart from this scenario, I think the Priv is a very durable phone.

The front facing camera is garbage. It's the same unit they used on the Q10, but that doesn't stop me from using Snapchat. It covers up all the blemishes on my skin.

As for getting used to Android, I got the hang of it in about a week. It's very different, but there are only a few things that I miss from BB10 (like ease of multitasking and the flawless Hub experience). I wouldn't go back to BB10 now.
    Nathan Conley and andy957 like this.
    10-26-16 02:51 PM
    It's got USB-C, so at least there is no struggle with threading it.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-16 03:16 PM
    The front facing cam isn't that great on the Priv. It's fine if it's brightly lit though.

The 820 processor in the DTEK60 entices me though. More than twice the processing power of the 808 in the Priv.

So camera and processing power I'd say go with the DTEK60. I love my keyboard so I like the Priv.

Really want to upgrade to something with more processing power though.
    Are there any Speculation on the Processor in the Mercury?
    10-26-16 03:19 PM
    Are there any Speculation on the Processor in the Mercury?
    Reportedly a Snapdragon 652, which would put it between the DTEK50 and the DTEK60.

Anyway, as for the OP, get the DTEK60, unless you're on Verizon, in which case don't get either (long story).
    DLewis13 likes this.
    10-26-16 03:24 PM
    This is my first post in the forums so I apologize if something like this has already been posted, or if theres a better method to ask this question (which is located at the bottom of this post)

So I currently own a Q10, and am wanting to move to an Android Blackberry device. I am struggling to pick between the Priv from last year, and the upcoming (hopefully sooner than later) DTEK 60.

I've of course done some side by side comparisons with specs, but I unfortunately haven't even been able to get a Priv in my hands yet to look at.

Some of the things that are deciding factors for me are price, durability, front facing camera clarity (I'll admit, I am excited to potentially use Snapchat), and ease of use/functionality (I will really miss the swipe up to open feature of the Q10).

So, tl;dr would be:

Who of you that has owned a PRIV would be able to shed some insight on the above factors? Things you wish the PRIV did better? Things you think it does great? Would it be better to wait out for the DTEK60?
    I am using the Priv since Jan 2016. Both Priv and the legendary Passport are my daily drivers . The Priv front camera is average but the rear cam gives clear and sharp images IMHO . But if you look at other features VKB , PKB , Battery life , performance the Priv exceeds all expectations. The VKB is superb that sometimes it gives me a impression that PKB is not needed at all . The PRICING of the Priv makes it truly a great value for money. If at all I will buy a DTEK 60 or DTEK 50 will be only because of the front camera which is far superior than the Priv.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    10-26-16 04:10 PM
    Wish it didn't overheat, the 2mp front camera sucks, the crackling noise at the back of phone and the amount of dirt that gets caught in the front speaker. Plus it was fully overpriced for the specs. What did i like about it... android. Glad i sold mine early. Got money back b4 the phone rapidly depreciated
    10-26-16 05:39 PM
    Priv was a great phone and I loved the physical keyboard, especially while scrolling the chrome browser, keeps your fingers off the screen.Front facing camera wasn't very good at all but was such a unique phone, and you can get it for a decent price now!
    10-26-16 06:38 PM
    I as well hardly use the PKB on my Priv.
    And this was one of my fave features of BlackBerry.
    If the Mercury had great specs, I would go for that. As it stands right now, looks like I will hold onto my Priv as it really is a great phone....
    10-26-16 10:01 PM
    Priv for me,

I don't really need a sd 820, the 808 is quick enough.
    RobertP1 and Bay 13 like this.
    10-27-16 02:14 AM
    Priv has ****ty front and back cam. If you're okay with that and still want a keyboard then Priv. if not, then DTEK.
    Last edited by ihearlivepplz; 10-30-16 at 01:28 AM.
    10-27-16 03:06 AM
    Priv is an awesome device! but I encountered some problems with the priv like Bluetooth, getting too warm at the back and slowdowns after marshmallow update. Thankfully my ever reliable Passport SE always there to save me.(but my problem here are apps) but I guess it's not the priv to blame but the android slowdown itself. I feel sad about ditching this one out to get another android phone( for apps) probably google phone. I'm kinda hesitant to go with DTEK 60 because of the experience I got from priv. don't get me wrong, it might be isolated cases. but all in all the keyboard is great with Priv Rear Camera is Awesome but kinda slow, the front facing forget about it. the performance is ok the sturdiness of the flex when opening the keyboard is always cool. between dtek 60 and priv i think rear camera of the Priv is better but the performance of Dtek is much consistent.
    Last edited by simply_reyner; 10-29-16 at 10:04 PM.
    10-29-16 01:14 PM
    I love reading these posts. I had a Priv at launch and hated it, then got another 6 months later and loved it. I didn't use the PKB but the VKB is so good that I hardly ever even think about the PKB anymore. The Front Camera is pretty bad, but who really cares about that? It is good enough for the sefies. The rear camera produces good pictures but it is a little slow....

I read that someone said that the 808 is fast enough and the 820 is not really needed. I fully agree. The Priv is very fast.

I have not owned the 60, so all that I am saying is that the Priv is one heck of a phone and it is much better and cheaper than it was a few months ago. I could not recommend the Priv higher
    simon williams4, Bay 13 and Jrox74 like this.
    10-29-16 05:56 PM
27 12