I got a new priv yesterday. My second one (wanted an unlocked one, Sale price was great). Had the priv back in July, switched to the Passport, then dtek 60, back to passport, now on to priv.

I learned my lesson with the first priv -- it's not perfect right out of the box. This time I turned on the priv for a first boot, updated all the system updates I needed to do. Marshmallow update, then one more. Afterward I immediately restored the phone back to factory settings with the updates all applied. Then after that, I started setting it up as my daily driver. So far, no heating issues.

I remember with my first one, I did all the updates out of the box and never full restored after. That baby was hot enough to fry an egg on sitting idle in my pocket. It also had some other wonky issues (taking forever to download and install apps, etc). A restore fixed all of the issues. So this time I just cut to the chase right outside the box.

I'll also say this production run of the priv I have its much better. The screen doesn't have weird lines in it and the top screen doesn't click against the bottom housing. A much better construction.
    So my first PRIV was on launch Nov 2015 - manufactured Oct 2015. It used to overheat like mad. But after I wiped it - it was totally fine. By wiping it and reloading from scratch to marshmallow it was fine. Same with battery life (I think the 2 issues are related).

Then I requested a factory replacement (within my 1 year - only by 2 weeks) because the build quality was loose background and keyboard made a weird "click" sound in some spots.

This replacement has a manufacturer date of Aug 2016. So far zero heat problems and really, really strong battery life. And build quality is way better. No problems like first PRIV.

So if you have heat and battery issues - I would wipe it; its a pain but worth it.
    12-03-16 06:30 PM
    I agree with you. It's a pain, probably the most inconvenient thing you ever have to do with a phone ... but the difference is so noticeable on the Priv that it's not "worth" it, it's a complete necessity.
    12-04-16 06:13 AM
    I received 4 BB Priv phones 11 days ago and none of them get hot with light to moderate use (includes internet and video watching). The phone became warm when updating from Lollipop to Marshmallow. So, for new BB Priv phones I would say the phone does not become crazy hot. I will update this post as I use the phone more.
    12-04-16 07:36 AM
    Have my Priv for a week so I don't life before Marshmallow but I feel like the phone heats up randomly. Warmer than any other phone I've had. Could be that I'm using it a lot since it's new.
    12-04-16 02:10 PM
54 123