I've been using the Priv for close to a month now, coming from my Classic. I've used Android in the past and kept coming back to BB. Like most, I love BBOS 10 and was content to stay save the lack of needful apps and perhaps a better camera. So the Priv felt like the answer to all of my needs. However unless I'm using the PKB, it feels mostly just like an android device.

Are you all feeling the same way? I pull out my Classic from time to time just to enjoy the pure BlackBerry experience, but I guess our options are limited. Don't get me wrong, the Priv is a beautifully made device. The battery and click screen don't bother me at all. I just wish it had more of a BlackBerry feel to it. Perhaps I just need to find closure for BBOS 10 and the days of old

Did any of you fully go back to BBOS 10? Are some rocking 2 devices? Or are most of you content with the Priv and the artist formerly known as BlackBerry?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-04-16 11:53 AM
    Does it feel like a BlackBerry?-200-1-.gif
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    04-04-16 12:12 PM
    I have a drawer full of BlackBerry devices along with a few Samsung Galaxy devices. I've played with my neighbors' Priv and actually found an at&t with a demo a month ago. I currently have a 6 Edge+ and the Priv should feel heavier. The Priv is 6.77 oz and my 6 Edge + is 5.40 oz. If the price goes down on the Priv, I'll get it...or two. But, I can't see myself going back to BBOS.....no matter how much I miss my Z30. It was damaged(again) two weeks back from repairs last year.
    04-04-16 12:15 PM
    The launcher still feels like Android, but the Hub and other apps are somewhat close to a BB10 experience, but the big problem is that all of these apps are buggy and do not have feature-parity with the existing BB10 versions..

The Hub is close, but doesn't have all the same features, and in a lot of cases, where the feature exists, it's subtly different than BB10.. There a number of simple-stupid things that the BB10 hub had such as auto-resizing of pictures and photos when emailing that the Android version doesn't do (need a third party app to do this).. The calendar is a real disappointment especially considering that BB obviously did not learn from it's own history: when the calendar was first ported to BB10 from BBOS, it was likewise buggy and lacked features and they went through many false starts like the stupid colored dots that the current Priv calendar is using before finally bringing back the time bars and growing numbers due to many complaints and tester dissatisfaction.. The lack of a BB-experience SMS messaging app is also annoying as the Android app is crap for people like me who are somewhat long winded when we type messages ;-).. In the BB10 SMS app, the text input window grew to a larger size as you typed, but in Android, you get this tiny 4 line window that is very difficult to scroll..

Overall, I like the device, but the main reason I bought BlackBerry was the "BB experience", and unfortunately, it's an "unfinished" experience at the moment, so I hope Chen keeps BlackBerry in the Android arena long enough for them to complete the development of their apps.. Currently, in hindsight, I wish I had delayed my purchase another month, because then I could have taken advantage of Cobalt's "port" of the BB apps to generic Android, but gotten a more up to date hardware platform (S7 Edge) than the Priv.. I have tested Cobalt's BB apps manager on an old MotoG device and the BB apps work as well on that device as on the Priv, and I would definitely have been as happy on an alternate device with the hub and BB keyboard..
    FF22 likes this.
    04-04-16 01:40 PM
    I never used an Android device before (my daughter has one), so when you ask me if the Priv feels like a BlackBerry to me, my first question might be, well, which BlackBerry? I had 5 or 6 Blackberries before the Priv, only one of which, the Z10, used BB10

I am pleased with it so far. It does what I need it to do (I'm no power user) and I don't need to fuss when I want an app to work (like I used to with the Z10)
    FF22 likes this.
    04-04-16 01:52 PM
    I came over from iPhone (BlackBerry before that) and I personally love it. The combination of BlackBerry functionality and Android customization and interface is great IMO.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-04-16 03:09 PM
    The Priv is meant to be an Android device, not a BlackBerry device. Sure the company added some stuff to seperate their phone from the competition, but after all this is an Android phone, just with BlackBerry printed on it. IMHO BlackBerry even never really marketed the Priv differently.

I like to counter and say: What feels a BlackBerry like? Comparing legacy BBOS to BB10 was already radically different and, especially in the early months of BB10, a lot of users went back to legacy devices because they felt the new generation would be less productive. I also still think the UI we had in OS 7.1 was, in terms of fast productivity and usability, maybe the best BlackBerry ever offered. IMHO BB10 never matched that.
    Of course the Priv running a near stock Android UI is a completely different breed too, it feels neither BB10 like or BBOS like. It has some pros but also some cons IMHO.

And it's not only about the software, it's hardware too. When BBRY switched from BBOS to BB10, they ditched quite some popular BlackBerry features: The trackpad, gone, the convenience key, gone too. The "smiley" keyboard? Got straightened. The toolbelt also got eliminated. Even the replaceable battery was ditched after the first two devices. At least here on CrackBerry quite some people complained the new BlackBerry phones aren't enough BlackBerry anymore
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 04-04-16 at 04:49 PM.
    04-04-16 04:26 PM