Coming from BB10, I just assumed that closing apps when not using them actually improved battery life. However, doing some cursory Google searches, there seems to be some evidence that it's better on Android to just leave them open and running in the background (i.e. not swiping them away, only to open them again later). Since the apps are in memory and "suspended", they don't really consume power.

Is there any truth to this?
    03-27-16 01:48 PM
    That would be an interesting find. I often clear all apps when I know I won't be needing those apps for a while or when I know I won't be using my phone for a while.

On bb10, I very seldom kept apps open.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-27-16 01:54 PM
    It seems that Android is very efficient at managing running apps and memory. Apparently, closing an app only to reopen it later causes more CPU usage. If the device has adequate memory (as the Priv with 3GB), RAM consumes little power, whereas reloading the app, drains much more.

So... in theory... never closing apps (unless they misbehave) is the way to go. I'm going to give this a whirl over the next week and see if it makes a difference. In theory, it makes sense.
    oakakaemmy likes this.
    03-27-16 02:10 PM
    03-27-16 02:14 PM
    Good to know! I will have to try this as well!

03-27-16 03:30 PM
    Good to know! I will have to try this as well!

Something to consider. Lots of people are complaining about battery life. Maybe this is part of the problem....excessive dependence on CPU versus more energy efficient RAM.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my BlackBerry Priv
    03-27-16 04:25 PM
    Close the ones you don't use and leave the ones you use often alone and in memory. Simple rule. You should not be swiping everything away.
    03-27-16 06:08 PM
    Its the early android learning cycle. Closing apps, using app killers, shutting down radio rooting, etc to save battery life. Been there done that, all to no avail. The phone needs a better os version to optimise power consumption, nothing else.

03-27-16 06:41 PM
    android is smarter than us. I would let it close the apps it NEEDS to close. Otherwise yes you are using more battery closing them yourselves.
    03-27-16 06:50 PM
    Limit the amount of apps you use entirely. That would be the best way to use any Android device. I'm not suggesting people become "boring" and have no fun with their phones, but seriously, limit the use of social media surveillance apps and you'll be all the better for it.

One of the best things I did for my own personal "mindfulness" was to eliminate the use of several applications that kept me distracted from reality. One of the best decisions I've ever made and because of my personal situation in life, it has helped me greatly.

Using less apps is not for everybody, but could definitely help some.

03-27-16 07:39 PM
    Only ones you should close are battery hog apps like Wade or something similar. Otherwise it just makes things worse.

03-27-16 07:41 PM
    I've been using an app called Greenify that detects when apps aren't hibernating properly and forces them to hibernate. I can tell that it works just from the heat difference on the phone.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-27-16 08:33 PM