Hello there
    I just wanted to know if priv and its android brothers Dtek 50 and 60 provide protection against the newest danger for android devices ransomware??
    12-19-16 04:23 PM
    It would limit some abilities like being able to achieve root as there is no known exploit for that on BB Android devices. Other things you'd have to be more specific on the malware. BB Android wouldn't prevent malware that have social engineering components like ones that ask you to reduce your security settings to install. Stick to the Playstore for apps and use some common sense and its very unlikely you'll be affected by malware.
    12-19-16 05:51 PM
    I know ransomware infections are a real big problem on Windows, but atm there are very few android ransomware variants known, and they
    * mostly are caught by installing a 3rd party app (so don't set option to sideload and just use play)
    * mostly are not encrypting files (you could bypass and save files)
    * they use security holes of older versions if infection is driveby on websites (BlackBerry devices mostly are up to date OS update wise and on top you could use a browser which uses "uBlock origin" (like Firefox) to be able to block malware domains by using the right filter lists)

And as always with ransomware:
    BACKUP IS THE BEST PREVENTION NOT TO LOSE IMPORTANT FILES
    andy957 likes this.
    12-20-16 12:05 AM
    Keeping up to date, sticking to the Play Store and well-established apps, and using a browser with an ad block plugin/some other method of ad blocking should take care of the vast majority of possible ransomware attacks. Those that slip through would be met with the aforementioned hardening (and would be toothless without it), although there is no mobile device in the world that can fix PEBKAC security holes.
    12-20-16 12:10 AM
    Gizmo21: What is your Priv backup tool of choice? We no longer have BB Link.
    12-20-16 12:09 PM
    Well in fact I have no specific backup tool. I use an own exchange like server to sync my PIM data to my own server (with backup there) and backup photos and documents manually atm. Those could be both exchanged by google cloud if you are into giving all your personal data in 3rd hand.
    For all other app preferences... I really use the google cloud if present or backup with integrated app tools.

I tried backup app MyPhoneExplorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xplorer.client which was my favorite on other Androids (and on former SonyErricsson) but haven't got it to work. Perhaps in the holidays.
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-20-16 12:37 PM
    Given the lack of any comprehensive non cloud backup, I gave up and am letting Google do most of it. Anything that can be stored on the SD, is.
    I use Super Backup to get what Google doesn't, (SMS, call logs, (and contacts, even though I've also got them backed up to Google)).
    It works well, just make sure it's backing up to SD, as I believe the default is internal.

I don't back up because I'm worried about virus or ransom, I worry about hardware and updates.
    The best anti virus / anti ransom is built in, it's located behind your eyes and between your ears.

I have had to wipe my device several times, all for the same issue, it no longer scares me. Except for the time factor, 3+ hours to get everything back on the phone, then you have to rearrange, redo any widgets and adjust settings.
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-22-16 06:55 AM