Yes true agree with you 100 % everything gets added to the costs . Having said that this advertisement is for those who cannot buy the device in cash but can pay in equated monthly instalments.
    Sorry, I did quote the wrong person. I agree with you completely. They moved it to free* because they see what it could do.

For others, I personally have not like for the Priv, so I am going off of marketing. There is a reason it is free* and not because it will be free.

Posted via CB10
    Andrew Finley likes this.
    02-21-16 02:54 AM
    I don't think the priv is doing any great numbers. Not in the Americas, not in Europe, not any where else.

They have the right strategy in launching an Android device. But have failed miserably with positioning of the product. It would have been a great phone for between 400-600 USD.
    But its India pricing of 925 USD is a serious suicidal move. Their core business users who waited for more than a year for something like this now have moved to ios and Android for good and there is no way, they are ever going to come back to the blackberry for another year or two, by which time the devices business of BlackBerry will be nothing more than dead.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The population in India is large enough for them to charge a commanding premium. They will sell every unit they ship to India. As a consumer, I would have liked to see a 400-600 Priv, but I am confident they wouldn't sell any more units at that price. You either want the phone or you don't want the phone. I am pretty confident BlackBerry isn't interested in selling phones to people who have to scrimp and save. Companies don't sell Cadillacs at Chevy pricing. The Priv is a premium phone that is selling at a premium price. For BlackBerry to be successful, they need to make a connection with the consumers that see value in the premium features. If you don't see value in the PKB, then the Priv isn't the device for you. Similarly, if you don't see value in security updates being provided on a regular basis, then the Priv isn't the device for you.

Bell in Canada is offering the Priv with a two year contract for $299. Considering in 2010 I paid $149 for a Samsung Galaxy Son a three year contract, I think that's a fair a deal as anyone will get. Again, you either want the phone or you don't want the phone. BlackBerry is in a position where they must maximize ASP of the phones they are selling even if means Privs don't make it into the hands of the unwashed masses.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 05:49 AM
    Priv is not a premium phone, by market definition. It's a new Android entrant, that is.

Passport SE
    Sje1973, Coachbulldog and tx ram like this.
    02-21-16 06:43 AM
    The population in India is large enough for them to charge a commanding premium. They will sell every unit they ship to India. As a consumer, I would have liked to see a 400-600 Priv, but I am confident they wouldn't sell any more units at that price. You either want the phone or you don't want the phone. I am pretty confident BlackBerry isn't interested in selling phones to people who have to scrimp and save. Companies don't sell Cadillacs at Chevy pricing. The Priv is a premium phone that is selling at a premium price. For BlackBerry to be successful, they need to make a connection with the consumers that see value in the premium features. If you don't see value in the PKB, then the Priv isn't the device for you. Similarly, if you don't see value in security updates being provided on a regular basis, then the Priv isn't the device for you.

Bell in Canada is offering the Priv with a two year contract for $299. Considering in 2010 I paid $149 for a Samsung Galaxy Son a three year contract, I think that's a fair a deal as anyone will get. Again, you either want the phone or you don't want the phone. BlackBerry is in a position where they must maximize ASP of the phones they are selling even if means Privs don't make it into the hands of the unwashed masses.

Posted via CB10
    i agree with you, however if BB wants to stay in the business it has to sell the maximum of devices and tap into other markets. relying on a niche market is very risky and any bit of competition could have a devastating impact.
    tx ram likes this.
    02-21-16 11:59 AM
    i agree with you, however if BB wants to stay in the business it has to sell the maximum of devices and tap into other markets. relying on a niche market is very risky and any bit of competition could have a devastating impact.
    I think with a further price cut, the device will be a very good choice for new customers. People look for a device that it's affordable and can differentiate from the rest, the priv is a different enough device to appeal to these kind of people. Let's hope blackberry give a good price cut to the priv 6 months from now.
    02-21-16 12:26 PM
    I think with a further price cut, the device will be a very good choice for new customers. People look for a device that it's affordable and can differentiate from the rest, the priv is a different enough device to appeal to these kind of people. Let's hope blackberry give a good price cut to the priv 6 months from now.
    6 months is a long time, they need a price cut now after the mobile world congress thing
    02-21-16 01:08 PM
    Yes you are probably right, still people with lower budgets would buy it, since they don't buy the top of the line phones anyway.
    02-21-16 01:22 PM
    I doubt the sales have been anything explosive, but I do hope it catches on with some people (and it sounds like it has).

Most people who aren't too concerned about these things just go for an iphone or galaxy because it's the common thing to do. Not saying that's good or bad, but just reality. You hear about and see iphones and galaxy phones every day, so naturally, you think "they must be a good option" (and I'm not saying they aren't good options).

I don't think the Priv is positioned to overtake Apple or Samsung etc, but hopefully it will fill a niche. I think Apple and Samsung are seeing a decline because people are reluctant to spend $600+ on a new phone every year with only minimal improvements in features in many cases.
    Priv is expensive I can see blackberry meeting it's sales targets with priv (I am sure they are not big)
    02-21-16 01:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's quite the explanation for the premium in India. BlackBerry actually knows very well they won't sell many there, considering the mass market goes for cheapo Chinese Androids, they rather sell it at a higher price and get more per unit for those who would pay.
    02-21-16 02:07 PM
    I hope it sells like ****, because I really don't want bb os to die. I want them to find a solution, not run away scared from grim profits. They are not Htc. That company failed so many times I am still wondering how it's still alive. And before the Passport I bought only HTCs. I really don't want blackberry to turn into another HTC.

I just, ugh, hope they find a solution that isn't Android. Or Chen can kiss my *** and I'll handle personally his busyness.

Sorry for the rant, guys... I am really pissed off.
    04-16-16 11:10 PM
    I hope it sells like ****, because I really don't want bb os to die. I want them to find a solution, not run away scared from grim profits.
    It's too late. BB10 is done either way.
    04-17-16 09:25 AM
    Honesty I don't think price cuts will do it. People don't even look at this phone in the store because no one knows what it is. A guy from another office said to me when he saw my phone "I was going to get a Priv as I liked BlackBerry's but I needed an Android phone for my home apps so I got an S7". No clue Priv ran Android.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    04-17-16 09:31 AM
    I hope it sells like ****, because I really don't want bb os to die. I want them to find a solution, not run away scared from grim profits. They are not Htc. That company failed so many times I am still wondering how it's still alive. And before the Passport I bought only HTCs. I really don't want blackberry to turn into another HTC.

I just, ugh, hope they find a solution that isn't Android. Or Chen can kiss my *** and I'll handle personally his busyness.

Sorry for the rant, guys... I am really pissed off.
    04-17-16 09:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good news, there are about 17 people wants the phone regardless of the price, all the rest of the population compares price, specs, reviews, and everything they can find about a phone before making a decision.

Good luck on sustaining a world class R&D team with the whopping 17 people's purchases.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-17-16 09:44 AM
    Good news, there are about 17 people wants the phone regardless of the price, all the rest of the population compares price, specs, reviews, and everything they can find about a phone before making a decision.

Good luck on sustaining a world class R&D team with the whopping 17 people's purchases.

Don't be like that. 600k sold last Quarter without Verizon. If you are a hater then get off CrackBerry Priv threads.
    You sound jealous or a resentful ex- employee.

Priv owner since Nov 6th 2015
    04-17-16 07:36 PM
    Don't be like that. 600k sold last Quarter without Verizon. If you are a hater then get off CrackBerry Priv threads.
    You sound jealous or a resentful ex- employee.

Wow, really no need to pin labels on my forehead. Labels are sure convenient but soon you will lose your ability to have a healthy and intelligent debate.

Of course there are more than 17 guys who will buy whatever bricks BlackBerry put on the market. But whatever that number is, it's not enough to sustain BlackBerry 's hardware business. You can't run a successful business simply only sell to friends, relatives and hardcore fan base, not in smartphone industry.

If you want to charge premium price, you have to offer a value proposition matches the price for the mainstream population, not just for the core fan base.

And your argument of only positive views are allowed in CrackBerry is ridiculous too. This is a fan site, not a cult site.

04-17-16 08:13 PM
    They need some better ads. The priv ads are creepy weird

Posted via CB10 with the Passport SE
    04-17-16 08:58 PM
    Wow, really no need to pin labels on my forehead. Labels are sure convenient but soon you will lose your ability to have a healthy and intelligent debate.

Of course there are more than 17 guys who will buy whatever bricks BlackBerry put on the market. But whatever that number is, it's not enough to sustain BlackBerry 's hardware business. You can't run a successful business simply only sell to friends, relatives and hardcore fan base, not in smartphone industry.

If you want to charge premium price, you have to offer a value proposition matches the price for the mainstream population, not just for the core fan base.

And your argument of only positive views are allowed in CrackBerry is ridiculous too. This is a fan site, not a cult site.

You make blanket statements without facts, reason or solution. If such an expert, maybe state why you are ? It does seem you have a sense of entitlement because you are a Passport BB10 user. Passport is a great piece of hardware but you must face reality of the future of BB10. You have one more upgrade (10.3.3) then it's just ongoing support at best. Maybe they will put a Passport type of device out with Android as its OS..
    As you should already know BlackBerry is not targeting the consumer market and you should already know that if you actually follow what Chen has stated in the past. Whether you agree with their strategic direction or not it is about making the company successful and not Joe Consumer.
    BlackBerry will be completely fine without hardware if they decide to go in that direction. Remember Chen reports to the institutional Investment Community and not to people like you. What will make investors the most money is what matters long term. That may be commercial software only............

Last edited by Pinot2015; 04-17-16 at 10:19 PM.
    04-17-16 09:52 PM
    Anyone know why the priv didn't make it to sprint? This seems like a big miss.
    04-17-16 10:14 PM
    You make blanket statements without facts, reason or solution. If such an expert, maybe state why you are ? It does seem you have a sense of entitlement because you are a Passport BB10 user. Passport is a great piece of hardware but you must face reality of the future of BB10. You have one more upgrade (10.3.3) then it's just ongoing support at best. Maybe they will put a Passport type of device out with Android as its OS..
    As you should already know BlackBerry is not targeting the consumer market and you should already know that if you actually follow what Chen has stated in the past. Whether you agree with their strategic direction or not it is about making the company successful and not Joe Consumer.
    BlackBerry will be completely fine without hardware if they decide to go in that direction. Remember Chen reports to the institutional Investment Community and not to people like you. What will make investors the most money is what matters long term. That may be commercial software only............

Our argument is going nowhere... I agree with you on many things you said... but not all. And I am okay with it.

04-18-16 12:57 AM
    Don't be like that. 600k sold last Quarter without Verizon.
    Nope.

Accuracy please.

They sold 600k *devices* last quarter.

If they were all Privs, Chen neglected to mention that. And if they had sold that many Privs, Chen would have surely done so.

Chen also refused to say how many Privs were sold in his recent 'National' interview.
    04-18-16 01:40 AM
    ok even if some of then were pp so what they will eventually be privs why cause thats it its going there .....I mean bb 10 no updates no anything why should i buy a pp? its wird! priv is much better.
    No marketing only needed but also service points in every country at least in europe in every european country one service point and one sale point . thats it even in the same place its one shop in every country half service half bb shop thats it through interenet I dont feel safe to buy a Priv if something happens then what???? whose gonna fix it ?????
    Marketing its even the seing of the device out there between our friends or unkhown people thats also marketing but before it reaches this point one can find it and see it touch it etc before he buy it !!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Paraliotis3; 06-02-16 at 03:20 PM.
    06-01-16 02:17 AM
    It is selling like hot cakes! I saw lots of my friends are in.. they have brought the Priv. And you know what? It is awesome. Better than Apple, unique design. When you hold it, people will look at you, when you carry an Apple, it is so common, lame, boring, same old form factor, nothing innovative.

Take the Priv and you will know what i'm talking about !

Posted via CB10
    I used to think that, that's why I bought BB10.

Now literally NOTHING on my phone works.
    andy957 likes this.
    06-01-16 06:04 AM
    Most people who earn their money the right way and the hard way would Research, compare take feedback and only then buy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-26-16 12:31 PM
    Well, looking at the BB app dowloads (eg Hub, Calendar) in Google Play, they're all only at 50k. Since every Priv owner pretty much has to download these, I'm guessing not that great?
    Actually no, they don't. The Priv comes preloaded with those apps.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    08-26-16 01:20 PM
129 ... 3456