On touch screen phones, yes. When trying to take a pic with the rear camera it's difficult to hold the phone out and try to get your finger on the virtual shutter button when you can't see it.

The market has gotten to a point where they realize the value of the FFC so manufacturers pack in more megapixels and better sensors, simulate a flash (iPhone flashes a brightened screen, LG has a lit frame around the viewer, etc), and Samsung has a wide selfie mode that can fit a group of people in the shot. That came in handy when I had my Note at a Royals game last year.

http://i.imgur.com/Ojp8Kib.jpg

Everyone got to be in the shot and not be the one stuck behind the camera taking the pic .

Front facing cameras have been mainstream in Android phones since around 2010. I just took a look back at specs of my old Android devices. My first Android with a 2mp FFC was the HTC Amaze, released in 2011. No matter how you slice it, a 2mp FFC on a flagship device in 2015 (closer to 2016!) just doesn't cut it.
    Nailed it!
    10-19-15 11:32 AM
    That came in handy when I had my Note at a Royals game last year.
    Great photo but boo on Royals! Go JAYS Go!!

p.s. Sorry about the Hijack-I just could not help myself
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-19-15 11:35 AM
    Great photo but boo on Royals! Go JAYS Go!!
    We'll see what happens tonight!
    brookie229 likes this.
    10-19-15 11:35 AM
    Nailed it!
    I used an Android the other day that allowed the use of the RFC. It had...drum roll...an application that allowed the user to use the best sensor on the device. This is a better implementation.
    10-19-15 11:38 AM
    Yeah I understand the reason BUT average customer won't, they will compare it to Samsung S6 camera and iPhone camera hence the pricing on par with Samsung flagships
    Unfortunately, these and iPhone users are the ppl Chen is trying to connect with to sell 5 million(his magic number).......not just members on here. LOL. Even if all of us bought one, we're not buying 5Mill.
    Uzi, Dunt Dunt Dunt, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-19-15 11:40 AM
    you have a "either or" with EVERY phone on the market... you talk like it's just this phone. People that want a Iris scanner will have to look elsewere. People that want a smaller phone will also have to look elsewere, people that want a fingerprint scanner will also have to look elswere... Every single smartphone on this planet, has features missing that can be dealbreakers for a specific consumer, it's not Blackberry fault on their own like you make it sound.
    Sorry but there are some things that become the bare minimum of what a phone should have to even justify its price. People have the right to nitpick on something like this if they're about to put down $600-$700 for this (or any) phone. People who care about removable and expandable storage will likely give this phone a look as their options are increasingly shrinking. And people who want a physical keyboard will probably buy this phone on that merit alone. But it'll alienate people who do care about having a quality front facing camera even before they have a chance to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-19-15 11:40 AM
    On touch screen phones, yes. When trying to take a pic with the rear camera it's difficult to hold the phone out and try to get your finger on the virtual shutter button when you can't see it.

The market has gotten to a point where they realize the value of the FFC so manufacturers pack in more megapixels and better sensors, simulate a flash (iPhone flashes a brightened screen, LG has a lit frame around the viewer, etc), and Samsung has a wide selfie mode that can fit a group of people in the shot. That came in handy when I had my Note at a Royals game last year.

Everyone got to be in the shot and not be the one stuck behind the camera taking the pic .

Front facing cameras have been mainstream in Android phones since around 2010. I just took a look back at specs of my old Android devices. My first Android with a 2mp FFC was the HTC Amaze, released in 2011. No matter how you slice it, a 2mp FFC on a flagship device in 2015 (closer to 2016!) just doesn't cut it.
    Almost every phone has a key to take the picture. Some have dedicated button some you use the volume button to snap the picture.

In 2011 the "selfie" still wasn't a thing, phones had front facing cameras for video calls, that's why they were bad, because videocalls would always have bad video.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the apeal of a good front facing camera (if anything, to use the annoying slefie stick that it's starting to get prohibited in many places and events), and I agree that a phone in 2015-2016 should have a much better Front facing camera, never said the oposite. I just don't think that it shuold be a big deal. until recently, most people took selfies with the rear camera, and they still do.

All phones have a wide angle, YES, it's easier to take pictures with FFC, but don't overcook it, you don't need a IT qualification to take a selfies with the rear camera. Go to a Pub or a Club, or a dark street, and take a selfie with FFC... Unless your phone has front flash you'll have to do with the rear one.
    10-19-15 11:42 AM
    Sorry but there are some things that become the bare minimum of what a phone should have to even justify its price. People have the right to nitpick on something like this if they're about to put down $600-$700 for this (or any) phone. People who care about removable and expandable storage will likely give this phone a look as their options are increasingly shrinking. And people who want a physical keyboard will probably buy this phone on that merit alone. But it'll alienate people who do care about having a quality front facing camera even before they have a chance to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's called priorities... each person has it's own.
    10-19-15 11:48 AM

Since this is an Android phone and will be new.....it should have the same camera as the other newly released Android phones. Hopefully that wasn't a slight because the BlackBerry name is attached to it. I can see some of the Carriers reps using it as another reason to hype up the other phones. Again, whether we have a problem with it or not, will it deter non-CrackBerry members from buying it? Hopefully, no.
    10-19-15 11:52 AM
    Unfortunately, these and iPhone users are the ppl Chen is trying to connect with to sell 5 million(his magic number).......not just members on here. LOL. Even if all of us bought one, we're not buying 5Mill.
    One?

I taught it was required that we all show a proof of purchase for a minimum of five devices in order not to get kicked off CrackBerry....
    10-19-15 11:53 AM
    I think people are mostly just pissed at the rumored price of the Priv CONSIDERING it only has a 2 MP front camera. If the Priv is priced reasonably, competitively, sacrificing the front facing camera would be more forgiven. We're all bracing ourselves for a very expensive device, in league with the latest Samsung and iPhone, and we expect it to kill the competition as a result. We're disappointed that it probably won't even crack the top 5 devices released this year and yet will probably be one of the most expensive. It's only true differentiator is the physical keyboard and extra security options, and yet we were told there were better options available if you were really concerned about security by the effing CEO lol.

We just want to be proud of the device we drop hundreds of dollars on, and an informed customer is likely aware by now that the Priv has a very solid chance of not being the best value offering IF the rumored prices are right unless you are dead set on a physical keyboard. All comes down to price...
    10-19-15 11:54 AM
    In 2011 the "selfie" still wasn't a thing
    Wow, selfies were absolutely a thing in 2011 and WAY before. I remember trying to get selfies with friends with rear cameras and we had to keep retaking the shot because one of us had our eyes closed, one of us was smiling weird, etc. Or even before that, taking selfies with disposable cameras and taking a few shots to increase the chances that at least one would come out well.
    10-19-15 12:00 PM
    Wow, selfies were absolutely a thing in 2011 and WAY before. I remember trying to get selfies with friends with rear cameras and we had to keep retaking the shot because one of us had our eyes closed, one of us was smiling weird, etc. Or even before that, taking selfies with disposable cameras and taking a few shots to increase the chances that at least one would come out well.
    I agree with you on the second part. But in 2011 I don't see the selfie to be nowere near what it is today... To me, the selfie got it's globalization between 2012-2013. Until then, yeah, there were selfies, but probabily if I asked my mom to talke a selfie, she might probably wouldn't know what it was. Of course people have been taking pictures of themselves over the years, but nowere near the dimention you have today. Today you even have specialized selfie cameras (not smartphones)
    10-19-15 12:06 PM
    I agree with you on the second part. But in 2011 I don't see the selfie to be nowere near what it is today... To me, the selfie got it's globalization between 2012-2013. Until then, yeah, there were selfies, but probabily if I asked my mom to talke a selfie, she might probably wouldn't know wha it is.
    I think you're thinking of just the term "selfie" instead of the act of taking a pic of yourself using your camera or phone.
    kbz1960 and Blacklatino like this.
    10-19-15 12:08 PM
    I think people are mostly just pissed at the rumored price of the Priv CONSIDERING it only has a 2 MP front camera. If the Priv is priced reasonably, competitively, sacrificing the front facing camera would be more forgiven. We're all bracing ourselves for a very expensive device, in league with the latest Samsung and iPhone, and we expect it to kill the competition as a result. We're disappointed that it probably won't even crack the top 5 devices released this year and yet will probably be one of the most expensive. It's only true differentiator is the physical keyboard and extra security options, and yet we were told there were better options available if you were really concerned about security by the effing CEO lol.

We just want to be proud of the device we drop hundreds of dollars on, and an informed customer is likely aware by now that the Priv has a very solid chance of not being the best value offering IF the rumored prices are right unless you are dead set on a physical keyboard. All comes down to price...
    Now that's a different matter that's also bothering me. I 'm not that kind of users that says "if it isn't 499$ or less, is a rip off and im not buying!!!!". I was prepared for it to be a little more expensive than the passport. But i'm seeing 950$CAD, 800€ and 580�... Hope it's just some pre-order BS, because that's very very expensive even if it has a lot of great features.
    10-19-15 12:10 PM
    Does 2MP camera bother you? That's cute...-546735_20140822102949.jpg
    Does 2MP camera bother you? That's cute...-1442475174726.jpg

Joao Oliveira and david7saad like this.
    10-19-15 12:12 PM
    I think you're thinking of just the term "selfie" instead of the act of taking a pic of yourself using your camera or phone.
    In a way yes... Because I believe that since the term "selfie" got in everybody's mouth, the act itself also became more popular... There's even "selfie sticks". If the price roumours at 950$CAD, 800€ and 580� are to be taken seriously, then even I'm going to want a 5mp camera at the front
    10-19-15 12:12 PM
    Contrast of 18/2 mp cameras is glaring... price will make or break it... sell more at lesser margin would put BlackBerry in enough hands to get some recognition... I have Passport for a year & have NEVER seen another in the wild or in a store or in a TV spot except in JC comedies...
    10-19-15 12:15 PM
    In a way yes... Because I believe that since the term "selfie" got in everybody's mouth, the act itself also became more popular... There's even "selfie sticks". If the price roumours at 950$CAD, 800€ and 580� are to be taken seriously, then even I'm going to want a 5mp camera at the front
    Oh I know all about the selfie sticks. I saw at least a dozen people using them a few months ago when I was at the Grand Canyon lol.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-19-15 12:16 PM
    Almost every phone has a key to take the picture. Some have dedicated button some you use the volume button to snap the picture.

In 2011 the "selfie" still wasn't a thing, phones had front facing cameras for video calls, that's why they were bad, because videocalls would always have bad video.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the apeal of a good front facing camera (if anything, to use the annoying slefie stick that it's starting to get prohibited in many places and events), and I agree that a phone in 2015-2016 should have a much better Front facing camera, never said the oposite. I just don't think that it shuold be a big deal. until recently, most people took selfies with the rear camera, and they still do.

All phones have a wide angle, YES, it's easier to take pictures with FFC, but don't overcook it, you don't need a IT qualification to take a selfies with the rear camera. Go to a Pub or a Club, or a dark street, and take a selfie with FFC... Unless your phone has front flash you'll have to do with the rear one.

If I remember correctly, one of the hands on said there was a dedicated camera button. I have a Galaxy s5 Active and it has one as well. That does help the situation when wanting to take selfies. That said, it should have still been better than 2 mp.

Can anyone confirm the button on the phone.
    10-19-15 12:36 PM
    If the Priv targets enterprise, then a robust teleconference feature is a must... this FrankenPriv has cobbled together some hig end components with some l e parts & some glaring omissions... for wide appeal to enterprise, it's a dud...
    10-19-15 12:36 PM
    If I remember correctly, one of the hands on said there was a dedicated camera button. I have a Galaxy s5 Active and it has one as well. That does help the situation when wanting to take selfies. That said, it should have still been better than 2 mp.

Can anyone confirm the button on the phone.
    At the rumoured prices yes, it should have a 20mp front camera... So expensive
    10-19-15 12:40 PM
    My HP Pre3... you could grab it & press the multifunction button & take a still instantly... the passport must be awakened, unlocked, the tiny camera target pressed, the thing has to focus, finally a pic...
    10-19-15 12:40 PM
    Oh I know all about the selfie sticks. I saw at least a dozen people using them a few months ago when I was at the Grand Canyon lol.
    Lot's of places are making those "against the rules" these days. I know you can't use them at Disney's parks anymore.

That said on our last trip there were everywhere.... lot's of people wanted to document their trip, with them in it. Especially younger visitor that might have been in some kinda group (sports competition, travel....) They were with friends, but not with their family. Many were also video taping using the front facing camera.... I imagine that having a good quality camera was an important factor for these ones.

It's just one category, and for many it won't make much of a difference. But it's one category where the PRIV will lose out to the competition, if it is important to that user.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-19-15 02:59 PM
    "Does 2MP camera bother you? That's cute..."

If I take a picture with the front facing camera and the photo turns out too grainy, weird or unclear I just flip the Q10 over to the rear camera and it fixes my problem.
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-19-15 03:38 PM
228 ... 56789 ...