The fanboys don't want to hear any other viewpoint... they would want to block me... pitiful
    10-18-15 05:26 PM
    It's not about growing up. Many people want to take selfies, nothing wrong or 'immature' about that. What's wrong with taking selfies? Plus, 2MP + BB's camera development department = disaster.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:15 PM
    The M$ 950XL appears to many to be an earnest attempt to make what people want... to many the priv doesn't attempt that at all except for JC & a small group of fanboys... M$ c afford a few stumbles... BlackBerry cannot...
    No octacore. No big internal storage. No CDMA in GSM model (and vice versa). Does it have fingerprint scanner? Does it have dual sim? And a smaller battery than the Priv...
    Out-dated specs by your own standards.

patapoof Re: Priv -
    Crummy front cam, no octacore, no big internal storage, no fingerprint scanner, no dual SIM, no CDMA in GSM model & vice versa, & more others have noted on CB... read on
    Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:51 PM
    What sells Apple and Samsung devices aren't numbers; it's tried and tested experience. Those companies have built a reputation on selling quality hardware and software that is regularly of higher quality than their competitors. This is especially true of Apple devices.

Do most people know how many megapixels their iPhone's front or rear cameras have?
    Probably not. Why?
    Because the iPhone takes quality photos and Apple goes to great lengths to make sure they have cutting edge cameras. Why?
    Because Apple recognizes that it's important for its users to have access to good cameras because it knows what its users want and do with their phones.

BlackBerry had this aura too. You used to be able to pick up a BlackBerry and know it would last an entire day or two, have excellent build quality, and would really never let you down when you needed it. Mishaps here and there have slightly tarnished that name. Despite my Z10 and Z30 having more megapixels than my iPhone's camera, they take considerably worse photos. I used to overlook it as I'm sure the camera wasn't high on BlackBerry's priority list. But this isn't any normal BlackBerry. This BlackBerry has to play Android's spec game. Aside from a few BlackBerry-exclusive additions, the Priv seems to be running vanilla Android. Its specs aren't exactly cutting-edge either. I agree with the general premise that the number of megapixels shouldn't matter when it comes to quality, but saying that it has 5 (or whatever) megapixels is something that appears more appealing when trying to sell a device.
    DJM626 and JGoodard like this.
    10-18-15 06:57 PM
    so, is a 2 mp camera good enough for Skype?
    10-18-15 07:14 PM
    The fanboys don't want to hear any other viewpoint... they would want to block me... pitiful
    you're just bashing... For you, any device that doesn't have every single feature existing in every smartphone combined is already outdated. There's no "up to date" phone for you because every phone lacks at least a couple of features from other phones.
    10-18-15 07:15 PM
    so, is a 2 mp camera good enough for Skype?
    More than good enought. It's good for everything other than selfies
    10-18-15 07:15 PM
    you're just bashing... For you, any device that doesn't have every single feature existing in every smartphone combined is already outdated. There's no "up to date" phone for you because every phone lacks at least a couple of features from other phones.
    I disagree. The slide-out keyboard on the Priv is a "feature." Having a strong front-facing camera isn't; it's the baseline standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-18-15 07:18 PM
    The M$ 950XL appears to many to be an earnest attempt to make what people want... to many the priv doesn't attempt that at all except for JC & a small group of fanboys... M$ c afford a few stumbles... BlackBerry cannot...
    You know what people want? the bloody BRAND! they buy your phones if you have Samsung or Iphone written on it.

People say that the consumer wants the best cameras... The Nokia 1020 had a camera that DESTROYED the competition... didn't sell much
    People say that consumer wants selfie cameras... The HTC Desire EYE has the best selfie camera on the market (same camera as the back)... doesn't sell
    People say consumer just wants battery life... Iphones with crap battery have sold like crazy, and the new Galaxy S6 has poor battery and outsells every android. other androids with much better battery don't sell.

The general consumer want the brands of Samsung or Apple because is whay they believe it's the best, because most of them don't have a clue what the phone has. The people on the forum that talk and know smartphones, and buy looking for specific features, is a big minoroty.
    kbz1960 and anon(9353145) like this.
    10-18-15 07:20 PM
    I disagree. The slide-out keyboard on the Priv is a "feature." Having a strong front-facing camera isn't; it's the baseline standard.

what does that have to do with what I've just said? Having a battery that last the full day shouldn't be a feature... but seems like it is.
    10-18-15 07:21 PM
    Maybe the PRIV II will be 8MP front camera!!

It might not have a camera at all? Who needs a camera anyway? If we are busy being productive on our phones, there is no time for pic taking and social media and the like! LOL
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    10-18-15 07:25 PM
    It's confirmed by the size of the pictures wich is 1600x1200
    Sorry to break it to you but that's hardly a confirmation. We have no idea the iteration of the Priv this photo is coming from. BlackBerry always makes multiple DEV units, all with different hardware combinations to see what works and what doesn't.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    10-18-15 07:35 PM
    what does that have to do with what I've just said? Having a battery that last the full day shouldn't be a feature... but seems like it is.
    Oh gosh.

Battery life varies from user to user and device to device. I don't really see any company flaunting an alleged "all-day battery" as a feature anyway.

Features can be seen as "nice to haves." These days, a quality front facing camera has become the standard. Devices are expected to be able to perform well in this category. And like I said earlier, being able to say "5MP camera" versus something lower won't at least turn a potential buyer away, especially if it's important to them.

Your OP made it sound like people are supposed to compromise, but why should they really? Besides the keyboard and few BlackBerry apps, what else is on the Priv that should make people want to choose it when BlackBerry itself has gone and lowered the specs of one of the things people look for in a phone? The BlackBerry name doesn't have the pull it had years ago. If this is really BlackBerry's last shot at hardware, it shouldn't have overlooked things like this; things that matter to normal people.

JGoodard likes this.
    10-18-15 07:37 PM
    More than good enought. It's good for everything other than selfies
    right now i am using an outdated/not flagship Samsung Ace 2X and the seflies on it are actually fine...so the selfies on the Priv should be acceptable then
    10-18-15 07:40 PM
    The simpler question is why would BB drop the ball on such a simple thing? Why not just put a simple 5mp camera on the front so it lines up with every other flagship? I don't think everyone is expecting a great front facing camera, but at the same time, no one wants a sh*tty one either. As been pointed out, it's not just for selfies but also video conferencing.

There is use in defending the decision. It's a bad decision business wise. When your goal is to sell more phones and expand your market, you don't tell that market "just turn your phone around and use the front camera". That's like giving those customers the finger.

Say what you want, this along with other small things will be a big deal in many of the reviews of this phone. When people read those reviews and realize they can get a better bang for their buck elsewhere, Blackberry will be in trouble.
    It's not so much the mega pixels that matter as much as the software that processes the image. And considering that front facing cameras are not used for "photographers grade" images, so what. First it was the name, now it's it's this. Boy, some of you are digging deep for the most trivial reasons to not buy this phone.

And once again everyone is forgetting the target audience here: the Priv is BlackBerry's answer to the two phone problem. There are still a decent amount of professionals out there who carry a BlackBerry for the keyboard and an Android or iOS device for the apps.

Also, the OP has given some good examples of where the Priv shines in comparison to the competition, which is also indication that other flagship lack in at least one feature, too.

BlackBerry's handset division, what ever is left of it, is on serious shaky ground. Chen claims to want handsets but also has stated he could just as easily offer "solutions" to other device makers and OEMS. They also stand to lose some of the BlackBerry faithful and the Android market is completely new and untested--both for BlackBerry and for Android. Cut them some slack.

Then again if you don't want the Private for what ever reason then don't get one. Surely there's a phone out there that would suit your needs. And let's face it, if this eerie a BB10 with the same specs few would care.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:58 PM
    Oh gosh.

Battery life varies from user to user and device to device. I don't really see any company flaunting an alleged "all-day battery" as a feature anyway.

Features can be seen as "nice to haves." These days, a quality front facing camera has become the standard. Devices are expected to be able to perform well in this category. And like I said earlier, being able to say "5MP camera" versus something lower won't at least turn a potential buyer away, especially if it's important to them.

Your OP made it sound like people are supposed to compromise, but why should they really? Besides the keyboard and few BlackBerry apps, what else is on the Priv that should make people want to choose it when BlackBerry itself has gone and lowered the specs of one of the things people look for in a phone? The BlackBerry name doesn't have the pull it had years ago. If this is really BlackBerry's last shot at hardware, it shouldn't have overlooked things like this; things that matter to normal people.

Everything varies. Some people use more battery than others. Do you want me to google for you complaints about battery life in high end phones? Some people value certain features. If you value selfies, then you need another phone. If you value Battery and expandable storage, The priv is only of the few phones on the market that delivers that. Being able that you can have a QuadHD screen that your Iphone doesn't have is pretty nice too... being able to tell that you have an AMOLED screen that your iphone doesn't have is nice too, being able to have expandable storage that your iphone doesn't have is nice too, do you want me to continue?

Every phone has it's strong and weak points. The Priv has a mediocre selfie camera compared to the competition, but also has some nice features that other phones don't have. In the end people just buy Samsung or Apple... there are phones with the best selfie cameras (like the HTC Desire EYE) and nobody buys them

Blackberry didn't lower anything, the phone never had a 5mp camera, that was just a rumour. The phone came out as it ever was
    10-18-15 08:06 PM
    right now i am using an outdated/not flagship Samsung Ace 2X and the seflies on it are actually fine...so the selfies on the Priv should be acceptable then
    I guess that's good. I think i've never used the front camera on the passport, but then, I don't use the cameras on my phone that much. For people that need a good selfie camera, then there are other stronger options on the market. The priv has other kind of strong points that some of the competition doesn't have
    10-18-15 08:08 PM
    Sorry to break it to you but that's hardly a confirmation. We have no idea the iteration of the Priv this photo is coming from. BlackBerry always makes multiple DEV units, all with different hardware combinations to see what works and what doesn't.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    You sure? I'm remembering that hapening in the near future, other than a couple of Q10's having only 1GB of ram. I wish you're right and I'm wrong.
    10-18-15 08:11 PM
    Everything varies. Some people use more battery than others. Do you want me to google for you complaints about battery life in high end phones? Some people value certain features. If you value selfies, then you need another phone. If you value Battery and expandable storage, The priv is only of the few phones on the market that delivers that. Being able that you can have a QuadHD screen that your Iphone doesn't have is pretty nice too... being able to tell that you have an AMOLED screen that your iphone doesn't have is nice too, being able to have expandable storage that your iphone doesn't have is nice too, do you want me to continue?

Every phone has it's strong and weak points. The Priv has a mediocre selfie camera compared to the competition, but also has some nice features that other phones don't have. In the end people just buy Samsung or Apple... there are phones with the best selfie cameras (like the HTC Desire EYE) and nobody buys them

Blackberry didn't lower anything, the phone never had a 5mp camera, that was just a rumour. The phone came out as it ever was
    I didn't want to turn this into a "my phone is better than yours" thread and I won't do it here. I could go on and on about what my iPhone has or will do better than the Priv but I'll pass.

All those things you mentioned, just about every Android manufacturer has those things too in their flagships. Plus now the Priv is competing with Samsung's entire suite of apps that cater to consumers. How much sense does it make to undermine your own device on paper before any other metric has been compared?

Also, I didn't know that the Priv was rumored to have a 5MP sensor. Whether BlackBerry lowered it to 2MP or never had a Priv with a 5MP camera makes no difference; if that camera sucks, that's enough of a reason for someone to pass on it. Why would you want to knowingly give people a reason to pass on it?
    10-18-15 08:16 PM
    I didn't want to turn this into a "my phone is better than yours" thread and I won't do it here. I could go on and on about what my iPhone has or will do better than the Priv but I'll pass.

All those things you mentioned, just about every Android manufacturer has those things too in their flagships. Plus now the Priv is competing with Samsung's entire suite of apps that cater to consumers. How much sense does it make to undermine your own device on paper before any other metric has been compared?

Also, I didn't know that the Priv was rumored to have a 5MP sensor. Whether BlackBerry lowered it to 2MP or never had a Priv with a 5MP camera makes no difference; if that camera sucks, that's enough of a reason for someone to pass on it. Why would you want to knowingly give people a reason to pass on it?
    Not true... Very few top end android phones have SD-Card slot (big players like S6, Iphone6, note5, Nexus 6p, Oneplus2 don't have it ), and battery size of most isn't as big either.

Have a look:
    Blackberry PRIV - 3410 mAh
    Iphone 6 Plus - 2915 mAh
    LG V10 - 3000 mAh
    LG G4 - 3000 mAh
    Note 5 - 3000 mAh
    S6 Edge - 2700 mAh
    S6 "normal" - 2650 mAh
    S6 Active - 3500 mAh
    HTC One M9 - 2840 mAh
    Nexus 6P - 3450 mah
    OnePlus - 3300 mAh
    Sony Xperia Z5 - 2900 mAh
    Moto X Style - 3000mAh
    Only the 6p, S6 active and OnePlus are playing in the same ballpark as the Priv when it comes to battery life. For the called "power users" that might be more important than a selfie camera... for those that arent, there's other options on the market? isn't it a great time to be alive when you have choices?
    Samsung suit of apps... let me laught... we use to call it "Bloatware"...

People pass on the Priv for having a bad selfie camera, the same way people pass on other high end phones for having a Small battery and no expandable storage... In your opinion the Selfie camera is the "holy grail" of features, and you don't accept that many people don't care about the bloody camera... the same way there's people that don't care about expandable storage...

You're not the role model of the human being, not everybody wants the same things as you do on a freaking phone for god sake...
    10-18-15 08:42 PM
    Not true... Very few top end android phones have SD-Card slot (big players like S6, Iphone6, note5, Nexus 6p, Oneplus2 don't have it ), and battery size of most isn't as big either.

Have a look:

Only the 6p, S6 active and OnePlus are playing in the same ballpark as the Priv when it comes to battery life. For the called "power users" that might be more important than a selfie camera... for those that arent, there's other options on the market? isn't it a great time to be alive when you have choices?
    Samsung suit of apps... let me laught... we use to call it "Bloatware"...

People pass on the Priv for having a bad selfie camera, the same way people pass on other high end phones for having a Small battery and no expandable storage... In your opinion the Selfie camera is the "holy grail" of features, and you don't accept that many people don't care about the bloody camera... the same way there's people that don't care about expandable storage...

You're not the role model of the human being, not everybody wants the same things as you do on a freaking phone for god sake...
    Wow you're dense.

Battery size is not the same thing as battery life. The Z30 has a 2800mAh battery versus the iPhone 6 Plus' 2915mAh, but I get around double the battery life on my iPhone than on my Z30. But, like you said, it varies.

By the way, I've not named one thing I value in a smartphone in this thread. I'm only relaying what I see on a daily basis. It seems I have higher hopes for the Priv than you do. Considering how many people use iPhones and Samsung phones that lack expandable storage and have slightly smaller batteries, perhaps it's not as much of a priority to most as you think. Then again, according to you, the Priv isn't meant for the normal consumer. It seems the Priv is going to be specifically targeted and BlackBerry doesn't want to go after regular consumers; it wants to pander to a small, declining subset of users. Forgive me for wanting it to do as well as it could by offering a "no compromises" experience, to the best BlackBerry could. Very well, point taken.
    10-18-15 08:50 PM
    Wow you're dense.

Battery size is not the same thing as battery life. The Z30 has a 2800mAh battery versus the iPhone 6 Plus' 2915mAh, but I get around double the battery life on my iPhone than on my Z30. But, like you said, it varies.

By the way, I've not named one thing I value in a smartphone in this thread. I'm only relaying what I see on a daily basis. It seems I have higher hopes for the Priv than you do. Considering how many people use iPhones and Samsung phones that lack expandable storage and have slightly smaller batteries, perhaps it's not as much of a priority to most as you think. Then again, according to you, the Priv isn't meant for the normal consumer. It seems the Priv is going to be specifically targeted and BlackBerry doesn't want to go after regular consumers; it wants to pander to a small, declining subset of users. Forgive me for wanting it to do as well as it could by offering a "no compromises" experience, to the best BlackBerry could. Very well, point taken.
    You really like to distort the story to your own advantage... Comparing 2 phones running completely different hardware, from different years, on different OS's... Slow Clap* for you sir... A nokia 3310 had a smaller battery than any smartphone, and lasted a full week... how relevant...

We know that iphone is very efficient with it's battery, but hello hello! Android isn't, Android is a power hog and it likes to drink it's juice. In Android phones running similar hardware specs battery life should be similar given a specific usage. In that sense, the phone with bigger battery is suposed to have an advantage. if my word is crap for you, go read the the gsm'arena Endurance tests.

As for you second paragraph, I'm going to assume you're drunk AF, because of course you didn't bother to read the OP (wich is me), and I've opened this thread exactly to defend and justify this device. I'm defending the 2mp camera, you're bashing it... and you are the one that want's to suceed?

There are COUNTLESS phones with similar atributes to the Iphone and Samsung that don't sell, so that's not a secret formula either. Phone geeks look at every detail, but probably 90% just buy a phone that is perceived as a good one, and Samsung and Apple are the brands with the best quality recognition, so people buy because is a brand that they like or that they can trust. The billions that they invest in marketing help.

Before the "facelifted" S6 line, the S3, S4 and S5 were no better than a LG, they just built plastic samartphones with more or less same specs, but samsung sold A LOT more... They did a lot more marketing than what LG did.

you could launch a iBlackberry with the exact same specs and hardware as a iphone or a Samsung, it would never sell a tenth of what the giants sell
    10-18-15 09:02 PM
    You really like to distort the story to your own advantage... Comparing 2 phones running completely different hardware, from different years, on different OS's... Slow Clap* for you sir... A nokia 3310 had a smaller battery than any smartphone, and lasted a full week... how relevant...

We know that iphone is very efficient with it's battery, but hello hello! Android isn't, Android is a power hog and it likes to drink it's juice. In Android phones running similar hardware specs battery life should be similar given a specific usage. In that sense, the phone with bigger battery is suposed to have an advantage. if my word is crap for you, go read the the gsm'arena Endurance tests.

As for you second paragraph, I'm going to assume you're drunk AF, because of course you didn't bother to read the OP (wich is me), and I've opened this thread exactly to defend and justify this device. There are COUNTLESS phones with similar atributes to the Iphone and Samsung that don't sell, so that's not a secret formula either. Phone geeks look at every detail, but probably 90% just buy a phone that is perceived as a good one, and Samsung and Apple are the brands with the best quality recognition, so people buy because is a brand that they like or that they can trust. The billions that they invest in marketing help.

Before the "facelifted" S6 line, the S3, S4 and S5 were no better than a LG, they just built plastic samartphones with more or less same specs, but samsung sold A LOT more... They did a lot more marketing than what LG did.

you could launch a iBlackberry with the exact same specs and hardware as a iphone or a Samsung, it would never sell a tenth of what the giants sell
    In regards to your first paragraph, then why did you include the iPhone in your list in your previous response to me?

In fact, I can extrapolate the explanation of different software other aspects of why the iPhone sells. But the iPhone isn't relevant at all here. I could list 50+ reasons for you why people buy iPhones and not one of them would include Apple as a brand so let's leave it.

In your OP you made a ton of statements that appeal to BlackBerry users on why they should switch to the Priv over another Android device. You're making that appeal to people who already value SD cards and larger batteries. So how do you explain that to people who have now acclimated themselves to non-expandable storage devices? How do you make people see the value in those things? They didn't when Samsung took it away. People still bought S6s in droves.The market is shifting away from things like expandable storage, evidenced by how many devices are sold that exclude it. However the market has shown a value in good-quality cameras. Will the former have more appeal to some people than the latter? Sure, but I'd argue that number is shrinking.

This isn't about what I value. This is, instead of saying "The Priv has expandable storage, a QuadHD display, a 34xxmAh battery, an 18MP rear camera, AND a 5MP front-facing camera," you now have to omit the last part. This is just a classic case of BlackBerry cutting a corner because it didn't thinks its users don't value. Was it the right choice? Guess we'll find out.

RE your OP (one more time): You managed to sell a BlackBerry to...wait for it...people who already use a BlackBerry (returns the slow clap).
    10-18-15 09:21 PM
    In regards to your first paragraph, then why did you include the iPhone in your list in your previous response to me?

In fact, I can extrapolate the explanation of different software other aspects of why the iPhone sells. But the iPhone isn't relevant at all here. I could list 50+ reasons for you why people buy iPhones and not one of them would include Apple as a brand so let's leave it.

In your OP you made a ton of statements that appeal to BlackBerry users on why they should switch to the Priv over another Android device. You're making that appeal to people who already value SD cards and larger batteries. So how do you explain that to people who have now acclimated themselves to non-expandable storage devices? How do you make people see the value in those things? They didn't when Samsung took it away. People still bought S6s in droves.The market is shifting away from things like expandable storage, evidenced by how many devices are sold that exclude it. However the market has shown a value in good-quality cameras. Will the former have more appeal to some people than the latter? Sure, but I'd argue that number is shrinking.

This isn't about what I value. This is, instead of saying "The Priv has expandable storage, a QuadHD display, a 34xxmAh battery, an 18MP rear camera, AND a 5MP front-facing camera," you now have to omit the last part. This is just a classic case of BlackBerry cutting a corner because it didn't thinks its users don't value. Was it the right choice? Guess we'll find out.

RE your OP (one more time): You managed to sell a BlackBerry to...wait for it...people who already use a BlackBerry (returns the slow clap).
    The battery list I copied and pasted from other thread

funny that you say iphone isn't relevant, while you spent earlier posts remembering how amazing your iphone was.

Ironic that you you mention that people keep buyng a lot of Samsungs and Iphones, but you're missing the fact that Samsung droped 10% of sales with the S6, and both Apple and Samsung wich had 45% of the marketshare droped recently to 41%, and guess wich companies are growing? LG and huawei.

You don't know why they don't have a better front facing. probabily it was just choice. But who knows if they were forced to have a worse camera, since the sliding screen could be too thin to acomodate a camera with a bigger sensor.

I sold to who is here to listen to the forum i'm registered, and lately there is plenty of new users, a few from Android central (plenty of "global posts" but the firs"crackberry posts"). I'm not going to go screaming down the street screaming the name of blackberry. I don't own a stake in BBRY stock market, so I'm not here to win much. But you might be a "short" in BBRY as you use a iphone but still bother to come here and bash a selfie camera from a phone that you don't want.

Just wanted to point out that the phone doesn't become inferior just because it is missing a good front facing camera, because it has it's own advantages in other areas.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:36 PM
    The battery list I copied and pasted from other thread

funny that you say iphone isn't relevant, while you spent earlier posts remembering how amazing your iphone was.

Ironic that you you mention that people keep buyng a lot of Samsungs and Iphones, but you're missing the fact that Samsung droped 10% of sales with the S6, and both Apple and Samsung wich had 45% of the marketshare droped recently to 41%, and guess wich companies are growing? LG and huawei.

You don't know why they don't have a better front facing. probabily it was just choice. But who knows if they were forced to have a worse camera, since the sliding screen could be too thin to acomodate a camera with a bigger sensor.

I sold to who is here to listen to the forum i'm registered, and lately there is plenty of new users, a few from Android central (plenty of "global posts" but the firs"crackberry posts"). I'm not going to go screaming down the street screaming the name of blackberry. I don't own a stake in BBRY stock market, so I'm not here to win much. But you might be a "short" in BBRY as you use a iphone but still bother to come here and bash a selfie camera from a phone that you don't want.

Just wanted to point out that the phone doesn't become inferior just because it is missing a good front facing camera, because it has it's own advantages in other areas.
    I removed iPhone because you were talking about things relevant to Android and differences between them. Obviously iPhone doesn't account in that.

No way to know why exactly LG and Huawei saw more sales. Is it right to automatically tie that to Samsung not offering an SD card reader in their devices? Probably not.

Anyway, I have no stake in BlackBerry other than pure emotion. I've used BlackBerry devices long before BB10 existed and have used BB10 phones for over a year. I have a Z30. Just because I use an iPhone doesn't mean I don't want to see BlackBerry do well. You're right in that I don't want a Priv, but I also think BlackBerry should be giving it's all if this is truly its last effort in putting out hardware. Maybe one day you won't have to spend so much time defending a BlackBerry because it'll have the stuff the competition has, plus the things BlackBerry devices are traditionally known to have. That's my hope, anyway.
    10-18-15 10:52 PM
228 ... 34567 ...