This was almost a perfect phone. Knew BlackBerry would eff it up somehow. Shame.
    10-18-15 10:47 AM
    Megapixels is only one spec that defines how good a camera can be.

Smartphone cameras aren't that great to begin with because good photography requires good glass. That means big lenses with multipe elements and optical coatings. Small lenses are at a big disadvantage especially when they are mass produced. I don't care how big your sensor is, when the lens isn't great, you are not capturing detail anyway. Smartphone do a lot in software to try to compensate for bad hardware but there is only so much that can be done.

The sad part is that 99.9% of people will look at the megapixel spec and get all excited about it. And we see threads like this pouring fuel on the fire.

The Passport's 13 Megapixel camera should be great, right?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:50 AM
    Yeah I understand the reason BUT average customer won't, they will compare it to Samsung S6 camera and iPhone camera hence the pricing on par with Samsung flagships
    The average customer will also want an SD card and slide out keyboard. OP is right. The average customer will realize those features don't exist on S6 and if they're desperate for a better quality pic they can turn their phone around and snap a photo.

It's kind of a no brainer.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:53 AM
    Most people don't actually care how 'high tech' their selfies are.
    By the time they realize it's an average camera it would be too late to return
    10-18-15 10:58 AM
    This was almost a perfect phone. Knew BlackBerry would eff it up somehow. Shame.
    It's not a deal breaker for me, but it will be a deal breaker for a significant amount of people especially now because the iphone has 5mp front, which has always lagged in the megapixel race.

Front cameras are a huge sell for many companies including oppo, Sony, LG, hua Wei and the like.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:00 AM
    The sliding part of the phone is too thin... 2MP front camera is OK for me
    10-18-15 11:01 AM
    It's not a deal breaker for me, but it will be a deal breaker for a significant amount of people especially now because the iphone has 5mp front, which has always lagged in the megapixel race.

Front cameras are a huge sell for many companies including oppo, Sony, LG, hua Wei and the like.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I mean, I'll still be getting the phone. But a vast amount of people that are tuned in megapixel race won't be.
    10-18-15 11:01 AM
    That's what I mean, I'll still be getting the phone. But a vast amount of people that are tuned in megapixel race won't be.
    Very rare to see your posting without sarcasm
    10-18-15 11:06 AM
    That may be the case. Nevertheless, I will be purchasing the phone at first chance. It really is down on my list of things I care about. I am just making the point that in today's market, many care about both cameras and in some cases, put more emphasis on the front camera.
    I understand, and I wished the Priv could fullfill everybody's demands. Not smartphone is good at everything, I'll rather have a good battery than a good front facing camera (looking at you Galaxy S6

I normaly don't take selfies (I rather ask someone to take a pic of me and other person), but even if I did, I would rather take with the rear camera that's much better than any front facing camera on the market. If someone's IQ isn't good enought to frame a selfie without looking at the screen, just put a mirror on the back
    10-18-15 11:07 AM
    And that's what bothers me... Nobody complained about the picture quality when the front facing camera photo leaked because they thought it was a Glorious 5mp... But as soon as they realised it was shamefull 2mp they started to rage like a pocket dog... So the problem isn't the quality, the problem is the bragging rights in the bar with friends...
    Brandon Tobias and Adam Frix like this.
    10-18-15 11:09 AM
    Yeah I understand the reason BUT average customer won't, they will compare it to Samsung S6 camera and iPhone camera hence the pricing on par with Samsung flagships
    That's ONE feature. How does the S6 or iPhone compare to the Priv on removable/upgradeable storage, for example? Will people ONLY compare based on front facing camera?
    The S6 rear facing camera is only 16MP instead of 18 on the Priv - and the 6S is only 12. Isn't that something to complain about? Which camera do you use more? I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:09 AM
    That's ONE feature. How does the S6 or iPhone compare to the Priv on removable/upgradeable storage, for example? Will people ONLY compare based on front facing camera?
    The S6 rear facing camera is only 16MP instead of 18 on the Priv - and the 6S is only 12. Isn't that something to complain about? Which camera do you use more? I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough
    10-18-15 11:10 AM
    Ugh.. How will I be able to take decent ***** pics and send them to women if the Priv will only have a 2 mp front facing camera?! Ugh, what a failure of a phone, will not buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    ubizmo and sully_p like this.
    10-18-15 11:14 AM
    Unless they are comparing megapixels on the rear facing element as well. The Priv does pretty well in the spec race, when looking across the board at everything it offers. Pick a phone - any phone by any manufacturer, and I will show you something on it that is a compromise. I would be much more unhappy about a inadequate battery or lack of SD slot than I would about MP of the front facing camera.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:14 AM
    I could care less, but here's my rant that I just went on in the thread on specs that is showing a 2MP front facing camera...

I'm really shocked at the 2MP front camera. Sadly, that's a deal breaker for many. I just went on a cruise and found out what a "selfie stick" is. Couldn't believe how many people were using them. I was literally cracking up.

Anyway, my mom has a Passport and my sister just got an iPhone6S (from her Z30 because she hated the name priv SMH @ BlackBerry still). My mom goes on about the "specs" of the Passport and heard her telling my sister that her Passport has a better camera because of the MP than the iPhone and my sister agreed that the Passport camera is of course better since it has higher MP.

My best friend has a S6 Active and didn't really use the front camera much until this phone and it takes amazing shots and I had him interested in the Slider. He saw the info on the rear camera and his dad is huge on pics so he said they both might get it. If the front facing camera is 2MP, neither will get the phone.

I'm really kinda shocked that it's not a 5 considering all other specs are high end and the rear camera seemed to get good attention from BlackBerry. I guess I shouldn't be shocked at anything... still can't believe they're calling this a priv (yes I'm still pissed since my mom and sister bailed solely because of the name).

...Now my best friend and his dad will be out because it's 2 instead of 5. I'm trying to sell this thing, but BlackBerry is making it difficult for me to sell to the general consumer. First the name (superficial, but companies spend millions to get this correct), now my best friend and his dad who are big picture fans and loved the rear camera will be out.

Embarrassed to even tell him the front is only a 2MP after talking it up so much. He didn't mind the name, said it was weird, had no clue it had anything to do with privacy, but moved on and said the specs look awesome (he's an Android fanboy) and him and his dad would likely get one. Really hope I'm wrong AGAIN and it is a 5MP just for paper, doesn't matter if it shoots like a 2MP. Ugh...

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    I highly doubt anyone that much into selfies knows anything about the specs of their phone. More about is the screen pretty and does the phone look nice.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:39 AM
    Would you rather have 18M/2M cameras and have the phone priced reasonably, or put 21M/13M camera and price the whole thing too high and watch the entire hardware division go poof? Design tradeoffs.

How did the HTC Desire Eye (HTC Desire Eye review | TechRadar) with the front 13M sell?
    10-18-15 11:45 AM
    Would you rather have 18M/2M cameras and have the phone priced reasonably, or put 21M/13M camera and price the whole thing too high and watch the entire hardware division go poof? Design tradeoffs.

How did the HTC Desire Eye (HTC Desire Eye review | TechRadar) with the front 13M sell?
    How about 18M/5M and price it reasonably.
    kbz1960, Doggerz, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    10-18-15 11:57 AM
    More critical than the resolution of a front sensor is the speed of focus, and the low-light sensitivity.

Unlike the back sensor, the front camera does not have the luxury of a flash. Additionally, 'selfies' are generally pretty spontaneous and people want to take them quickly (because--you don't want to be 'that' loser for too long).

Finally, most selfies are taken to be shared in social media context, where image sizes are pretty limited (even on a desktop, images on Facebook are only a small area of the overall layout--- and on mobile devices, layouts are even smaller).

So... I would argue that the sensor resolution is less of a factor than its performance under those specific conditions, fast focus, blur/movement resilience, low light sensitivity.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo, southlander and Steelsheen like this.
    10-18-15 12:06 PM
    More critical than the resolution of a front sensor is the speed of focus, and the low-light sensitivity.

Unlike the back sensor, the front camera does not have the luxury of a flash. Additionally, 'selfies' are generally pretty spontaneous and people want to take them quickly (because--you don't want to be 'that' loser for too long).

Finally, most selfies are taken to be shared in social media context, where image sizes are pretty limited (even on a desktop, images on Facebook are only a small area of the overall layout--- and on mobile devices, layouts are even smaller).

So... I would argue that the sensor resolution is less of a factor than its performance under those specific conditions, fast focus, blur/movement resilience, low light sensitivity.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, Apple and the Nexus phones now have front flash. Those phones are also equal or lower in price than the Priv is anticipated to be.
    10-18-15 12:08 PM
    Given that this is a "premium" device, a 2MP front facing camera is unacceptable.
    DroidBerryGuy and RLTurn77 like this.
    10-18-15 12:08 PM
    Given that this is a "premium" device, a 2MP front facing camera is unacceptable.
    IPhone had 1.2 front cams for the longest time and we're considered premium... there's other factors that concern me more than the MP count...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-18-15 12:33 PM
    IPhone had 1.2 front cams for the longest time and we're considered premium... there's other factors that concern me more than the MP count...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    That's because Apple had great camera specs other than the MP and people could see it in the picture quality. That's not the case with BB.
    10-18-15 12:38 PM
    How about 18M/5M and price it reasonably.
    The touch sensitive keyboard, slider mechanism and security software isn't off the shelf and sure as hell won't develop itself for free.
    10-18-15 12:50 PM
    The touch sensitive keyboard, slider mechanism and security software isn't off the shelf and sure as hell won't develop itself for free.
    That may be true. But I would venture to say the better cameras and aluminum bodies for those phones are cheap either.
    10-18-15 12:52 PM
228 1234 ...