I spent some time with the Priv today at AT&T side-by-side with the Blackberry Classic and the Galaxys. I will not be switching back to Blackberry after all. Everything, the camera, screen, software, was fine. Everything except the one feature it had to get right. The keys are about 25% shorter than on the Classic and it made a huge difference. And I don't have fat fingers at all. The speaker also got in the way of the bottom row sometimes. And because the phone is so long with the keyboard out, it bounced like a diving board when I typed. Had the keyboard been like the Classic, I would've been sold.

I realized something else as an ex-Blackberry user. Most of us sorely missed the physical keyboard not realizing that we were getting better and better at typing on a virtual keyboard. To be sure, I typed faster on the Classic than my Galaxy but it wasn't the huge difference it was when I first switched.
    dusanvn likes this.
    11-06-15 06:40 PM
    Really man?
    11-06-15 06:47 PM
    Really man?
    yeahman..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    11-06-15 06:49 PM
    +1 Blaze

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-06-15 06:49 PM
    The physical keyboard is no smaller than the BlackBerry Bold 97XX family had for keyboards. As for balancing the smartphone with the keyboard extended it takes some practise where to place your hands and fingers.

11-06-15 06:51 PM
    I feel like the keys are too cramped on the Priv

11-06-15 07:03 PM
    It took me a while to get use to the small keys but now it's fine just need to give it a chance.
    trevorbiggs likes this.
    11-06-15 07:28 PM
    I really like my classic keyboard... privs does look tight
    11-06-15 07:34 PM
    OP should try the Pearl's keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    nickdollimount and unluky like this.
    11-06-15 07:37 PM
    So is it slimmer than the classic?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 07:38 PM
    I just went to my local AT&T to check out the Priv (which was sold out by the way) but I noticed the Classic next to it which more my type of device. I'm currently a Q10 user with a Z10 for youtube etc.

I just wish BlackBerry would make one last Classic phone with Passport specs and removable battery or even a Q20 with a trackpad keyboard like the Passport/Priv have. Surely government agencies could use such a device.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 07:44 PM
    OP man you guys have to give the phone a chance. It is like people are going in looking for something to say yes this is why I can't buy the phone. I have had every experience on a blackberry phone and this phone is just as great os and physical keyboard. I didn't like the physical keyboard so much as first but my speeds has improved significantly in the 8 hours I have had it. With that said best of luck to you.

Brad Morse and DolemiteDONS like this.
    11-06-15 07:59 PM
    From my experience, which I understand may mean little, the Priv is more cramped than the Q10, but not to the extent of the 9700. It will all be about adjustment.

On the flip side, the virtual keyboard is the most adaptable of any I have experienced. Granted, I have never dealt with a BlackBerry one, only Android, iPhone or Windows (for a short period of time).

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:16 PM
    So if the Keyboard was the size of a classic , you're gonna say that the overall phone is too big for your liking ? =)
    Brad Morse likes this.
    11-06-15 08:31 PM
    So I have my faithful 9780 lieng with me for 5 years now and all androids during last 5 years are gone be it s3 note2 s4 or anyother.. currently I have a passport.. so if I am to compare keys of priv to 9780 keys.. are they same in size or cramped or better than bold..

Idk whether priv will see the light here but still when it does I want one right away...

Posted via my awesome Passport
    11-06-15 08:32 PM
    I loved the keyboard on my 9700. Looking forward to testing a priv out at a death star this weekend.

Mike Owsley likes this.
    11-06-15 08:34 PM
    OP man you guys have to give the phone a chance. It is like people are going in looking for something to say yes this is why I can't buy the phone. I have had every experience on a blackberry phone and this phone is just as great os and physical keyboard. I didn't like the physical keyboard so much as first but my speeds has improved significantly in the 8 hours I have had it. With that said best of luck to you.

He doesn't have to give the phone anything. For a fair few members of the community, this phone needed to be something stellar to offset moving from BB10 to Android, with all of the baggage that entails and it shouldn't be surprising that for some the reality did not meet the requirement, simple as that. I'm not saying that people shouldn't buy the Priv, but they shouldn't do so out of a sense of being beholden to a company that they have supported in the past only to be jerked around. Obligation is a two-way street, and if the move to Android is nothing personal, then a person should be free on this forum to say 'Not for me, nothing personal'. The keyboard may be fine for you, it's not for OP, and they wanted to share their opinion.
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-06-15 08:40 PM
    Couple of thoughts:

When the device is at the store, it's got all kinds of cables and tethers and the power cord is in at the center and you cannot possibly hold that thing properly to judge.
    I came from a Classic, and I find myself adjusted to it quite well already.
    antony99 and DolemiteDONS like this.
    11-06-15 08:48 PM
    I dunno.. if I get something that is new, I usually spend time on it first to get used to it. There's this thing called learning curve you know.
    I'm pretty sure you experienced that too in your first week with your Classic and Samsung.
    11-06-15 08:55 PM
    I am playing around with the Priv now. The keys on the keyboard is definitely smaller than than what I am used to.

I have to train my brains to think differently now. Hopefully I can learn the new keyboard soon.

11-06-15 09:01 PM
    I have found that all model keyboards need an adjustment period. I went from a curve8530, to a 9700, to a 9810 torch, to a passport. All needed some tome, but if I can be functional ona curve, a priv should be no problem!

11-06-15 09:01 PM
    when type writes and computers were invented some people said that humans are going to have long square fingers...i guess they were wrong.

it's just a matter of getting used to it that's all, but at the same time it depends on the person, maybe you have certain standards and that's totally fine.
    good luck to you
    11-06-15 09:02 PM
    Strange complaint. The Passport took me the longest time to get used to and it turned into my favorite to type on.

There is no fair way that you can use the phone in store for a few minutes and then say that you don't like it. I actually had the opposite experience to you. I played around with one in store and the typing felt very natural. Although, in the "notes" app, I couldn't seem to get it to highlight text with the "shift + capacitive keyboard" but I'm sure these little things will get ironed out with updates.
    11-06-15 09:09 PM
    Op you must not have used a Torch back in the day lol that keyboard was cramped. But it still was my favorite BBOS device I adjusted to the small keyboard and I could type blindfolded with it. Lol
    11-06-15 09:27 PM
    More cramped than the bold

11-06-15 09:29 PM
44 12