Oh, the cost of these phones is not an issue. The problem is that if my carrier doesn't 'support' the phone (i.e. never sold it,) chances are all the features 'supported' phones have won't be there. So I have had to be extra diligent when buying.

Take the Priv, for example. My carrier has indicated that the ShopBB Priv will have LTE band 12+volte and WiFi calling enabled from day 1. Great. But if I were to buy this phone, I would want to buy the STV100-3 (Canadian carrier) model. So will b12 work on the STV100-3? WiFi calling? It's things like this I've had to look out for.
    Yes, I see what you mean - I guess you're going to have find all these things out first. I think all the carriers here carry the STV100-3 and it seems Rogers would be best one to get because it is less than the others and I believe it is cheaper to unlock.
    11-11-15 05:59 PM
    So nationwide calling is not built in to cellular plans? Or worse, available to all as a paid add-on?
    Nation-wide calling is available but it is only beneficial to the smartphone owner not the person calling them. Let's say you move from Ottawa, Ontario (area code 613) to Montreal, Quebec (area code 450). A friend in Ottawa could call you as a local call if you keep your current telephone number but a friend in Toronto, Ontario would be calling long distance. If both friends have nationwide calling as well then the issue is moot because most localities require ten-digit-dialing anyway.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 06:08 PM
    What that shows is that you've ALWAYS been paying for a phone in your monthly fee--but you simply haven't been taking advantage of it.

That's the game the Big Three in the US used to play, and even T-Mobile--until T-Mobile lifted the veil and revealed that kind of lunacy to the world and unbundled the phone cost from the service cost.

Trust us when we tell you, there's no way that $70 isn't going up other than it doesn't have to go up to pay for the phone--because it shouldn't have been that high to begin with. They're not GIVING you a phone. They're just playing numbers games as bad as the worst used car salesman.
    Yes well right now given the landscape in Canada that's the game they're allowed to play and why I'm buying my phones outright. $45 a month works for me.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BoldPreza; 11-11-15 at 06:22 PM.
    11-11-15 06:12 PM
    So I see the advantages of buying away from the carrier. I have never done that and always bought from AT&T directly due to price. I am on a corporate plan and just pay the upgrade price and go on.

What are the disadvantages, if any, of NOT buying direct from carrier?

Besides price and availability anyway.

Any?

Posted via CB10
    All advantages, no disadvantages. All my phones have been unlocked and the 3rd one I bought that way from Staples. I'm in Canada and had no problems using Roam Mobility SIM and switch back to Bell in all 3 BB 10 phones. My guess is that the PRIV will be just as good.
    11-11-15 06:24 PM
    If I buy away from a carrier and have a hardware problem I deal with Digital River but if I buy from my carrier and have the same problem I drive 2 minutes to the nearest Telus Mobility store, pick up a loaner phone and they will take care of the repair/replacement. To me, that is a HUGE plus and once unlocked for $20 I can use it on any carrier as well. Also, I have device care protection from Telus $129 for 2 years of protection (Max 2 claims for accidental damage)
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 06:35 PM
    There shouldn't be any disadvantages. Just ensure you purchase from a reputable dealer. For e.g., if purchasing from Amazon, make sure Blackberry is the seller. It will be more expensive initially when bought unlocked directly from Amazon, as opposed to the carrier.
    11-11-15 08:05 PM
    There shouldn't be any disadvantages. Just ensure you purchase from a reputable dealer. For e.g., if purchasing from Amazon, make sure Blackberry is the seller. It will be more expensive initially when bought unlocked directly from Amazon, as opposed to the carrier.
    Well now I am hearing mumblings from AT&T people that I might not be able to get LTE service on my ShopBB phone I have on order. That IS a big deal and one of the reasons I was worried about buying unlocked. I don't want the AT&T wait for updates like I had on the Z10, but I want LTE service I am paying for too!
    11-15-15 11:34 AM
    I buy unlocked for the freedom.

I like knowing my plan won't change, I like getting a discount for bringing my own device, and I like knowing I can easily sell my phone without worrying about unlocking anything.

Another advantage is updates directly from the manufacturer (versus waiting on a carrier approved OS) and support outside of the carrier.

Lastly, if you buy your phone month-to-month with a carrier and then accidentally ruin your phone you're still on the hook for the full purchase price. From a psychological perspective that is a huge drain.

I really can't think of any disadvantages to buying unlocked.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 11:52 AM
    Well now I am hearing mumblings from AT&T people that I might not be able to get LTE service on my ShopBB phone I have on order.
    They are BSing you. At best, completely ignorant, at worst just trying to make a sale.
    11-15-15 01:09 PM
    They are BSing you. At best, completely ignorant, at worst just trying to make a sale.
    This is not from AT&T to me, but a forum members experience. There is a thread about it.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 01:11 PM
    This is not from AT&T to me, but a forum members experience. There is a thread about it.
    Link me please?
    11-15-15 01:13 PM
    Link me please?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1048672

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    11-15-15 01:15 PM
87 ... 234