You don't have to change numbers, right? You guys have free nationwide mobile calling?
    Most plans include nationwide calling - if it is part of your plan they cannot take it off
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 01:48 PM
    I do, but they recently started taking that away and adding $20 to get it back.
    That is ridiculous, and clearly a sign of greed.
    11-11-15 01:49 PM
    I do, but they recently started taking that away and adding $20 to get it back.
    Which provider is that? I have had both Rogers & Telus Mobility lines with unlimited nationwide calling included in the plans for years and none of them have had the nationwide calling part taken away...yet
    11-11-15 01:50 PM
    Which provider is that? I have had both Rogers & Telus Mobility lines with unlimited nationwide calling included in the plans for years and none of them have had the nationwide calling part taken away...yet
    I was referring to the recent changes in their top tier share plans, in which you need to get the Priv or any new phone. Generally if you have a grandfathered plan you are not allowed to take a new phone unless you change to the "in-market" plans.
    11-11-15 01:56 PM
    Do you have any proof of this. On your bill or anything. I was on the phone with Telus for about an hour. They all told me the price is the same if I brought my own phone or bought one under contract. There are no discounts if you own your phone and are not under contract. The plan price is the price.

Posted via CB10
    I am with Telus and have been for about 45 years, my Z30 was under contract paying $80 for my plan, decided to keep same plan with same phone after contract was up. BYD, plan dropped to $ 60 a month
    Z30 will be last phone bought on contract, when it dies will buy another phone outright and keep same plan

 Pr1ngle
    11-11-15 01:56 PM
    It's pretty simple actually - I currently pay $70 a month for my plan and tomorrow I will get the Priv for whatever the contract price is at Telus and my monthly payment will STILL be $70 per month so I am NOT paying anymore for the phone other than whatever the up front cost will be. Even if I don't get a phone I still pay $70 per month. The only difference my 2 year commitment will start tomorrow again which is perfectly fine with me since for that price I'm getting unlimited nationwide calling, 6GB data, 100 minutes North America long distance, unlimited texts & mms, voicemail and caller ID. I wouldn't mind even a 10 year contract at this price.
    What that shows is that you've ALWAYS been paying for a phone in your monthly fee--but you simply haven't been taking advantage of it.

That's the game the Big Three in the US used to play, and even T-Mobile--until T-Mobile lifted the veil and revealed that kind of lunacy to the world and unbundled the phone cost from the service cost.

Trust us when we tell you, there's no way that $70 isn't going up other than it doesn't have to go up to pay for the phone--because it shouldn't have been that high to begin with. They're not GIVING you a phone. They're just playing numbers games as bad as the worst used car salesman.
    11-11-15 02:00 PM
    BYOD with Telus... You can get 12GB with Unlimited nation wide calling and unlimited text, Voicemail and Call Display for $80 / month!

Priv purchased outright no contract = $ 890.

2 year plan is $100 / month + $410 for the Priv. ($20 extra / month x 24= $480 extra) Total cost of device: $890.

$480 + $410 = $890 ( same price as buying outright from Telus).

Bell: $799 outright no contract , $85 / month for 14 GB (instead of 12). Same features as Telus.
    Disadvantages of buying unlocked?-i-told-there-would-no-math.jpg
    11-11-15 02:03 PM
    What that shows is that you've ALWAYS been paying for a phone in your monthly fee--but you simply haven't been taking advantage of it.

That's the game the Big Three in the US used to play, and even T-Mobile--until T-Mobile lifted the veil and revealed that kind of lunacy to the world and unbundled the phone cost from the service cost.

Trust us when we tell you, there's no way that $70 isn't going up other than it doesn't have to go up to pay for the phone--because it shouldn't have been that high to begin with. They're not GIVING you a phone. They're just playing numbers games as bad as the worst used car salesman.
    Yes, that's precisely it. They priced the plans such that the "subsidy" is already factored in. Assuming you would keep signing contracts with them for that shiny new phone.

The CRTC Wireless Code came along, and the whole idea was you split out the "subsidy" part which really is financing, and supposedly there's lowering room for the plan since the phones are no longer "subsidized". But no, the opposite happened, they kept or raised the plan prices, and adding a finance fee to the phone. They conveniently blame the 2-year contract cap, for "loss revenue" to increase the monthly prices.

This oligopoly is just a big crook.
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 02:13 PM
    You don't have to change numbers, right? You guys have free nationwide mobile calling?
    While you can probably keep the same telephone number when moving to a different area code, and you have national calling, anyone calling you would be dialing long-distance if their land-line or cellular area code is not the same as you. Though I think most carriers expect you to change telephone number if moving to a new area code.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 02:31 PM
    While you can probably keep the same telephone number when moving to a different area code, and you have national calling, anyone calling you would be dialing long-distance if their land-line or cellular area code is not the same as you.
    So nationwide calling is not built in to cellular plans? Or worse, available to all as a paid add-on?
    11-11-15 02:36 PM
    @buwee is there any way you can tell me where this plan is? I am renewing with TELUS and you have a sweet deal. I'd love to get that one.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 02:44 PM
    It's pretty simple actually - I currently pay $70 a month for my plan and tomorrow I will get the Priv for whatever the contract price is at Telus and my monthly payment will STILL be $70 per month so I am NOT paying anymore for the phone other than whatever the up front cost will be. Even if I don't get a phone I still pay $70 per month. The only difference my 2 year commitment will start tomorrow again which is perfectly fine with me since for that price I'm getting unlimited nationwide calling, 6GB data, 100 minutes North America long distance, unlimited texts & mms, voicemail and caller ID. I wouldn't mind even a 10 year contract at this price.

@buwee is there any way you can tell me where this plan is? I am renewing with TELUS and you have a sweet deal. I'd love to get that one

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 02:45 PM
    Trust us when we tell you, there's no way that $70
    No thanks, I have been a cell phone user since 1987 and I know exactly what I'm doing. Yes, of course I'm paying for the phone as no company is stupid enough to give things away but because my plan is worth it to me and with the bonus of getting a subsidized (financed) phone I'm good with that. I don't know why it is so difficult for some of you to understand that if I switch my plan to a new in market plan my rate would double but fortunately I keep my grandfathered plan and get the phone. $70 per month is basically loose change to me. What advantage would I have of buying the phone outright aside from getting the wireless charging which I absolutely don't care about or even want.

Based on your suggestions, I would get an unlocked phone from Shop Blackberry for $899, continue to pay $70 a month for my plan so 24 x $70 =$1680.00 PLUS $899 for the phone which equals $$2579.00 as compared to 24 x $70=$1680.00 PLUS $410.00 From Telus = $2090.00. Geez...I wonder which way I go? I pay $489.00 less for the phone overall, I also get more LTE bands and I don't have to have wireless charging PLUS I have carrier protection and support and do NOT have to deal with Digital River.

Oh, and before you suggest that I have to commit to another 2 year term - Guess what? - I WANT to commit to as long as term as I can get at my current rate. I am VERY happy with my plan and service provider and have absolutely no desire to cancel my term plan or move to another provider. Even if I did, my only penalty would be to pay off the device balance of the phone. I would have used the service for the previous monthly fees that I paid.
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 02:48 PM
    So nationwide calling is not built in to cellular plans? Or worse, available to all as a paid add-on?
    It was shortly incorporated into all plans, then recently they all re-introduced local plans.

Rogers adds local calling option to share plans with $5 monthly savings | MobileSyrup.com
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/11/25/be...-new-70-tiers/
    11-11-15 02:51 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-was-told-there-would-be-no-math.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	380117
    Unless you're talking about an old Grandfathered loyalty plan...you're dreaming buddy

Your Choice: Build your own phone plan | Mobility | TELUS.com
    11-11-15 02:52 PM
    @buwee is there any way you can tell me where this plan is? I am renewing with TELUS and you have a sweet deal. I'd love to get that one

Posted via CB10
    I have had these plans for quite a while and I got them through the loyalty department at Telus. I've also had these Telus lines for more than 9 years and they have upgraded the plans for me a few times along the way.
    11-11-15 02:55 PM
    I was referring to the recent changes in their top tier share plans, in which you need to get the Priv or any new phone. Generally if you have a grandfathered plan you are not allowed to take a new phone unless you change to the "in-market" plans.
    Nope, that is not true - as long as your plan is a minimum of $70 per month and it is a plan that is recent they will give you the upgrade. I just did it on Friday and did not have to change my plan to a current in market plan. I would not have done it if I had to change my plan because then it would have been definitely cheaper to buy it outright. They pulled up my account on the screen, scanned the barcode on the box of the phone and the upgrade price appeared without the need to do a plan change. When the paperwork was printed I examined it closely and everything was the same as what I had before.
    Last edited by buwee; 11-11-15 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Typo's
    11-11-15 03:02 PM
    Nope, that is not true - as long as your plan is a minimum of $70 per month and it is a plan that is recent they will give you the upgrade. I just did it on Friday and did not have to change my plan to a current in market plan. I would not have done it if I had to change my plan because then it would have been definitely be cheaper to buy it outright. They pulled up my account on the screen, scanned the barcode on the box of the phone and the upgrade price appeared without the need to do a plan change. When the paperwork was printed and examined it closely and everything was same as what I had before.
    For Telus yes. Not Bell and Rogers.
    11-11-15 03:04 PM
    For Telus yes. Not Bell and Rogers.
    Sorry, wrong again because I just upgraded a Rogers phone last month (Note Edge) and also did not have to change the plan. Maybe I've just been lucky or maybe it's because I have had an account with them since 1987 (when they were known as Cantel - LOL) I also have about 12 lines with them so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    11-11-15 03:09 PM
    I like my 48$ 5gb plan from Koodo.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 03:23 PM
    Oh, and before you suggest that I have to commit to another 2 year term - Guess what? - I WANT to commit to as long as term as I can get at my current rate. I am VERY happy with my plan and service provider and have absolutely no desire to cancel my term plan or move to another provider. Even if I did, my only penalty would be to pay off the device balance of the phone. I would have used the service for the previous monthly fees that I paid.
    This is what Verizon UDP customers are going through here in the US. But unlike you, Verizon hasn't signed them to contracts for a while, and hasn't allowed subsidized (non-loophole) upgrades for just as long.

I'm in a super sweet grandfathered plan at my carrier (TMO US,) and not only will they not subsidize my upgrade (they've stopped for everyone,) I can't even buy my phone through them without my data plan rate jumping by $15 a month. So I have to buy my phones elsewhere. And since I'm out of contract, they can pull a Verizon on me any time.
    11-11-15 03:36 PM
    I don't, but the amount of time I actually use long distance the cost still is less than what current plans are offering, even with nationwide calling.
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 03:39 PM
    This is what Verizon UDP customers are going through here in the US. But unlike you, Verizon hasn't signed them to contracts for a while, and hasn't allowed subsidized (non-loophole) upgrades for just as long.

I'm in a super sweet grandfathered plan at my carrier (TMO US,) and not only will they not subsidize my upgrade (they've stopped for everyone,) I can't even buy my phone through them without my data plan rate jumping by $15 a month. So I have to buy my phones elsewhere. And since I'm out of contract, they can pull a Verizon on me any time.
    Yeah, that sounds pretty crappy for you - you should consider buying one in Canada because at current exchange rates it would only cost you $592 US dollars if you were somehow able to get someone to buy one outright from Rogers Wireless in Canada. It would cost you about $20 US to have it unlocked to use on TMO or any other carrier.
    11-11-15 03:43 PM
    Yeah, that sounds pretty crappy for you - you should consider buying one in Canada because at current exchange rates it would only cost you $592 US dollars if you were somehow able to get someone to buy one outright from Rogers Wireless in Canada. It would cost you about $20 US to have it unlocked to use on TMO or any other carrier.
    Oh, the cost of these phones is not an issue. The problem is that if my carrier doesn't 'support' the phone (i.e. never sold it,) chances are all the features 'supported' phones have won't be there. So I have had to be extra diligent when buying.

Take the Priv, for example. My carrier has indicated that the ShopBB Priv will have LTE band 12+volte and WiFi calling enabled from day 1. Great. But if I were to buy this phone, I would want to buy the STV100-3 (Canadian carrier) model. So will b12 work on the STV100-3? WiFi calling? It's things like this I've had to look out for.
    11-11-15 05:42 PM
    I really have no reason for an unlocked phone. I have traveller extensively with my Rogers phone and billed roaming fees, monthky service plan etc us all a work write off anyways.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 05:58 PM
87 1234