Again, you're not taking into account how much of your monthly fees go to the cost of the phone. You could think you're paying $799 but end up paying $999. How would you know when the actually costs are hidden in your monthly fees?
    It's pretty simple actually - I currently pay $70 a month for my plan and tomorrow I will get the Priv for whatever the contract price is at Telus and my monthly payment will STILL be $70 per month so I am NOT paying anymore for the phone other than whatever the up front cost will be. Even if I don't get a phone I still pay $70 per month. The only difference my 2 year commitment will start tomorrow again which is perfectly fine with me since for that price I'm getting unlimited nationwide calling, 6GB data, 100 minutes North America long distance, unlimited texts & mms, voicemail and caller ID. I wouldn't mind even a 10 year contract at this price.
    raino and BB-JAM215 like this.
    11-05-15 09:54 PM
    It's pretty simple actually - I currently pay $70 a month for my plan and tomorrow I will get the Priv for whatever the contract price is at Telus and my monthly payment will STILL be $70 per month so I am NOT paying anymore for the phone other than whatever the up front cost will be. Even if I don't get a phone I still pay $70 per month. The only difference my 2 year commitment will start tomorrow again which is perfectly fine with me since for that price I'm getting unlimited nationwide calling, 6GB data, 100 minutes North America long distance, unlimited texts & mms, voicemail and caller ID. I wouldn't mind even a 10 year contract at this price.
    See, that is my feeling too. My monthly price will be the same no matter what, so besides the updates, I see no reason to wait. I was not sure if AT&T had features you could only use with their locked devices though and was wondering about that.
    11-05-15 10:20 PM
    My situation here:

Looks like I got the worst from both worlds...
    Passport bought outright and unlocked at Optus. Optus referred me to BlackBerry for support or warranties, and BlackBerry always wants me to check with Optus.

Warranty only one year instead of two years on a contract.
    So I basically have a carrier phone without the carrier benefits, but no direct support and warranty from BlackBerry either, "because I bought it at Optus/the carrier". Back'n forth game.

I wish I had bought unlocked off grey market, or if Shop BB or Amazon sold and shipped to Australia.... :-D

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    11-05-15 10:20 PM
    If AT&T carries the -1, brings voLTE to it (and WiFi calling, maybe,) there's a possibility that these two features may not work on the -3. VVM you may be able to install an apk for.

But based on precedent--set albeit with BB10 and BBOS--you should be OK if you buy an unlocked -1.
    11-05-15 10:29 PM
    Yes, all Telus contracts add $20.00/month(all Canadian carriers are doing that). Ask them what your monthly bill be if you bought the phone outright. I just went through it. I have more flexibility without a contract. I am still a loyal customer. If you buy it from Telus, all warranties go through Telus.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    11-05-15 10:34 PM
    Do you have any proof of this. On your bill or anything. I was on the phone with Telus for about an hour. They all told me the price is the same if I brought my own phone or bought one under contract. There are no discounts if you own your phone and are not under contract. The plan price is the price.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-15 11:30 PM
    Yes, all Telus contracts add $20.00/month(all Canadian carriers are doing that). Ask them what your monthly bill be if you bought the phone outright. I just went through it. I have more flexibility without a contract. I am still a loyal customer. If you buy it from Telus, all warranties go through Telus.
    If I bought the phone outright, my monthly plan price would remain the same except my contract wouldn't start over again.
    If I decided to change to one of their bring your own phone plans my price which actually go up substantially as the new plan prices are a lot higher than my grandfathered plan.
    unluky likes this.
    11-06-15 03:03 AM
    The only difference my 2 year commitment will start tomorrow again [...]
    So you will end up paying much more than just the C$999 BB-HAM215 mentioned - it's actually going to be C$1,680 *plus* the upfront price of the phone.
    11-06-15 07:35 AM
    Its called BYOD. Or bring your own device. Want a new iPhone? For 299 and 85$ a month per plan till you pay off the debt you owe. Then it drops back to 55$
    Because my z30 was paid for and unlocked, a sale came up and I could take advantage of the same plan for 45$. If you are still paying for the phone, you are hand cuffed.

Freedom is the reason you buy unlocked

Posted via CB10
    11-06-15 08:04 AM
    If I bought the phone outright, my monthly plan price would remain the same except my contract wouldn't start over again.
    If I decided to change to one of their bring your own phone plans my price which actually go up substantially as the new plan prices are a lot higher than my grandfathered plan.
    As long as your monthly bill is $70.00 or higher, they won't change anything. But be aware if they gave you some loyalty deals, they may expire when you start the new contract. I had a bunch of extras, $30.00 worth, and once I signed a new contract, my monthly would of gone from $70.00 to $100.00. So I bought my Priv from ShopBB and now for the same price I actually get more because of BYOD. It's the data that they want to get you. For me I use the phone, like a phone, so voice is important. Just look into everything and ask questions. Tell them to compare what you have to what they offer. Usually they will tell you the truth and give you reasons why. Good Luck!!

On a side note I picked my wife's Priv up today and all I can say is wow! Congratulations to Blackberry!! For the first time, workers at the carrier store were saying good things about Blackberry!!!
    buwee likes this.
    11-06-15 03:30 PM
    As long as your monthly bill is $70.00 or higher, they won't change anything. But be aware if they gave you some loyalty deals, they may expire when you start the new contract. I had a bunch of extras, $30.00 worth, and once I signed a new contract, my monthly would of gone from $70.00 to $100.00. So I bought my Priv from ShopBB and now for the same price I actually get more because of BYOD. It's the data that they want to get you. For me I use the phone, like a phone, so voice is important. Just look into everything and ask questions. Tell them to compare what you have to what they offer. Usually they will tell you the truth and give you reasons why. Good Luck!!

On a side note I picked my wife's Priv up today and all I can say is wow! Congratulations to Blackberry!! For the first time, workers at the carrier store were saying good things about Blackberry!!!
    I went in today and they at least knew what it was. They got them in the last few days, but never even bothered to open the demo unit. The spot was there and the 2x3 sign was there, but no phone or poster or anything. This was at like 10am mind you - I doubt it would still be out if I had not asked. Rep was super cool and had owned bb in the past, but kept tossing in the "i" word as they always seem to do. They must get a free BJ or something every time they sell one. Like always I made it very clear I was NOT interested in a iphone at ALL and that kills the talk. I hate being rude, but they will just keep trying to direct you to the iphone unless you stop them.

Anyway - he told me straight up he knew nothing about it. When it was taking forever to boot up he was saying "the worst things about bb is thier app store....." and I said this one runs android and uses the play store. He thought that was pretty cool. Then he played with the keyboard. Then when it came up he watched me walking through the hub and all that and was geeking out on it. He said "I think I found my next store phone!" lol. I did not buy it, but he was playing with it when I left. I think I sold the salesman one.
    buwee and Theicecreamman like this.
    11-06-15 04:04 PM
    So you will end up paying much more than just the C$999 BB-HAM215 mentioned - it's actually going to be C$1,680 *plus* the upfront price of the phone.
    Even If I didn't get the phone I would pay the same amount anyway because I still want to keep my grandfathered plan. Pay $1680 if I get the phone or pay the same $1680 and get a subsidized phone - either way, I do not want to give up my plan and as I said I would even sign a 10 year contract to keep this plan if I could. This isn't exactly rocket science.
    11-07-15 07:57 PM
    But still you don't seem to get it. If you don't get the phone you can cancel your contract at any given time. Yes, it's not rocket science - it's economics.
    11-07-15 08:00 PM
    But still you don't seem to get it. If you don't get the phone you can cancel your contract at any given time. Yes, it's not rocket science - it's economics.
    No, you don't seem to get it - I DON'T want to cancel my contract - I want to extend to 10 years if I can - I am happy with my plan and with Telus - Geez
    11-07-15 08:06 PM
    Wonderful. I bet you'll get the Priv for free then.
    11-07-15 08:08 PM
    Don't Canadians pay the same monthly rate for service regardless of where their phone came from? I remember on AT&T it used to be that way, so customers would reason "might as well get it for $200."
    Yes, in Canada the monthly fee is the same whether on contract with a smartphone subsidy or you bring your own smartphone. The new CRTC ruling limits the device payout if you want to break the contract. Besides if you are a long-time customer what are the odds you will break the contract.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-07-15 08:18 PM
    Not sure if they still do it, but Koodo give 10% off your monthly bill if you use your own phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 10:21 PM
    BYOD with Telus... You can get 12GB with Unlimited nation wide calling and unlimited text, Voicemail and Call Display for $80 / month!

Priv purchased outright no contract = $ 890.

2 year plan is $100 / month + $410 for the Priv. ($20 extra / month x 24= $480 extra) Total cost of device: $890.

$480 + $410 = $890 ( same price as buying outright from Telus).

Bell: $799 outright no contract , $85 / month for 14 GB (instead of 12). Same features as Telus.
    11-07-15 10:59 PM
    BYOD with Telus... You can get 12GB with Unlimited nation wide calling and unlimited text, Voicemail and Call Display for $80 / month!

Priv purchased outright no contract = $ 890.

2 year plan is $100 / month + $410 for the Priv. ($20 extra / month x 24= $480 extra) Total cost of device: $890.

$480 + $410 = $890 ( same price as buying outright from Telus).

Bell: $799 outright no contract , $85 / month for 14 GB (instead of 12). Same features as Telus.
    You're lucky you guys have Videotron, not so much for us in Ontario. a 4GB plan with 300 local mins is $95 here. So they can pry my $49.5/5GB unlimited nationwide from my hands.
    11-11-15 12:28 PM
    You're lucky you guys have Videotron, not so much for us in Ontario. a 4GB plan with 300 local mins is $95 here. So they can pry my $49.5/5GB unlimited nationwide from my hands.
    Would they honor someone's rate plan were he or she to permanently move from Quebec to Ontario? If so, for how long--just until the next upgrade or grandfathered in long term?
    11-11-15 12:54 PM
    Would they honor someone's rate plan were he or she to permanently move from Quebec to Ontario? If so, for how long--just until the next upgrade or grandfathered in long term?
    Depends on carrier. Officially you are supposed to change your plan the moment you change your number, i.e. your area code. There have been loopholes.

Only in Canada we still have local calling zones.
    11-11-15 12:57 PM
    My contract with Rogers expires in a year. I want to check other options,they wouldn't let me buy a Priv outright. I just checked. I don't want to lock in for another year.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 12:59 PM
    Upfront cost. You pay it all at once right up front.

Service. With a carrier phone you have the carrier to go get service or repairs done at. Unlocked phones not so much.

That's pretty much it though.

Unlocked you get cheaper overall, especially for BlackBerry phones, can be ported to any carrier with the right frequency, not limited to carrier for warranty repair(this is a perspective thing), no carrier adds like bloatware or labels.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 01:14 PM
    Depends on carrier. Officially you are supposed to change your plan the moment you change your number, i.e. your area code. There have been loopholes.

Only in Canada we still have local calling zones.
    You don't have to change numbers, right? You guys have free nationwide mobile calling?
    11-11-15 01:21 PM
    You don't have to change numbers, right? You guys have free nationwide mobile calling?
    I do, but they recently started taking that away and adding $20 to get it back.
    raino likes this.
    11-11-15 01:36 PM
87 1234