Hello, total newbie to both blackberry and this forum. I apologize if this is a ridiculously naive question.

GOAL: I would like to use my blackberry (factory) calendar locally, unsynced to any other calendar account.

PROBLEM: I cannot get the darn thing to unsync from google calendar.

I do not use google calendar and I do not want anything that I plug into my blackberry calendar getting entered into my google calendar.

What I understand:

--I can't delete my primary google calendar without deleting my entire google account, including gmail
    --I can *theoretically* unsync my google calendar through my blackberry by going into "Accounts," selecting "gmail," and then seeing all of the various things I can unsync. I have turned the sync off on my calendar. The toggle switch reflects this change when I revisit the page. But when I add something to my blackberry calendar, it is still appearing on my google calendar.
    --When I go to my blackberry calendar settings and try to turn off the my google calendar account associated there, I cannot remove that account. All I can do is press the account to make an icon of an eye with a slash over it--I'm assuming that just means I can't see the events on my google calendar, but they are still getting inputted into the google calendar nonetheless.

Again, sorry if the answer to this is "no solution for this, dummy--you shouldn't have bought a droid." I purchased this phone as a trial with plans of turning it over to my husband if I don't like it. I'd like to make it work but do not want my calendar activities recorded on google's cloud. I tried purchasing a private app called "private calendar and journal" but it's pretty awful.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!
    03-28-16 08:26 AM
    When your BB calendar events are showing up on your Google Calendar, is it only on the Google Calendar located on your device? Or does it also appear on your Google Calendar when viewing it from another source (like via web browser on your PC)?

When you turn of Google Calendar sync from your Accounts settings, your device shouldn't be syncing that information either way in-or-out. My guess is that it's not syncing via Android, but that BB Calendar is injecting it into your Google Calendar.
    03-28-16 09:04 AM
    Thanks so much for your quick reply--I very much appreciate it.

Calendar items that I add into my blackberry calendar via my Priv show up in my google calendar across devices. For example, I did a test just now--made sure that the google calendar was toggled off to un-sync, added an event into blackberry calendar on my priv, and within moments it was vieweable in my google calendar through my laptop.

I've read in other strings that sometimes you have to unsync both on the side of the mobile device and through your gmail account--that it takes turning off both sides to disrupt the sync. But I can't find anyplace through my gmail account (or google calendars, for that matter) to unsync the calendar function).

And that would seem moot if your suspicion is correct. It seems odd that I can unsync my google calendar on my priv, and yet on the priv's factory calendar I cannot remove google calendar from accounts.

Perhaps it's that the Priv calendar *has* to be synced to another cloud-based calendar in order to function? I thought about adding another account to see if I could then make that my default and disable the google calendar. I guess that would be useful as a test. If that were true, it would defeat the purpose, as what I am trying to accomplish is to keep my calendar info within the confines of the blackberry cloud/device.

Thanks again, Melissa
    03-28-16 10:14 AM
    The BlackBerry calendar is a mess. I am having same problems. No local calendar ability and no way to accept decline calendar invites through a personal or business non exchange email address.

Big fail on BlackBerry part.

They have also offered zero resolution to my escalated inquiry nor was there and future update mentioned.

Pretty much SOL

my first foray into droidlandia
    03-28-16 10:36 AM
    Wow. Thank you so much--I guess I can at least stop driving myself crazy trying to find a solution.

How can you possibly bill yourself as the most secure phone on the market, and not have a local calendar option.

Ah well. We all knew this device was a gamble, right? I guess it's back to my crappy private calendar app.
    03-28-16 10:58 AM
    PS this probably goes without saying, but I have a hard time believing that this is a programming oversight rather than blackberry buckling to google's increasingly invasive and inexorable calendar "service."
    03-28-16 11:00 AM
    If you use the content transfer app from bb10 to priv and you transfered your local calendar, it will show up as an optional calender, set that as your default and I think it should just save locally.

Posted from my Priv
    03-28-16 11:03 AM
    Thank you--hopefully this suggestion will prove helpful to others. I'm not coming from a bb, though. My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy. Also droid--I'm not new to droid, just blackberry. The reasons I switched over to blackberry were pretty simple; I wanted the keyboard and I wanted the increased security. I was becoming increasingly unhappy with google's power over my privacy on my previous droids...I figured that blackberry would be able to manage them in a way that allowed for increased local options. Don't know why I would have thought this company could handle taming google.
    03-28-16 11:07 AM
    FYI I am desperate enough to fix this problem that I would have allowed blackberry to charge me $35 for its "incident-based" customer service, if they had actually brought anybody on the line for me. Waited 10 minutes on hold and hung up. There's only so much you can stomach.
    03-28-16 11:20 AM
    FYI I am desperate enough to fix this problem that I would have allowed blackberry to charge me $35 for its "incident-based" customer service, if they had actually brought anybody on the line for me. Waited 10 minutes on hold and hung up. There's only so much you can stomach.
    Are you entitled to the free one year help?

Blackberry Support 1-866-533-8067

help@blackberry.com They will give you feedback.

Welcome - United States

Of course, someone still has to be there to answer!
    03-28-16 12:00 PM
    PS this probably goes without saying, but I have a hard time believing that this is a programming oversight rather than blackberry buckling to google's increasingly invasive and inexorable calendar "service."
    Doubtful. There are plenty of calendar solutions that are entirely independent of Google Calendar.
    03-28-16 01:22 PM
    Thank you--I had tried this number back in the day when I first got the phone, but had forgotten about. Very much appreciate you posting it.
    03-28-16 01:54 PM
    I asked a similar question in another thread, I believe a BlackBerry rep responded that they are looking to improve this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1066969

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 02:23 PM
    I asked a similar question in another thread, I believe a BlackBerry rep responded that they are looking to improve this.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1066969

Posted via CB10
    In the meantime I was told no solution by support

my first foray into droidlandia
    03-28-16 03:19 PM
    DetritalGeo, thanks for including that string--I had seen it but wondered if there was a way just to get the darn thing unsync'd--I wasn't sure in your scenario whether you had been able to unsync it, apart from getting it off your device completely.

One thing I'm not clear on--is this inability to un-sync google caledndar the set-up on all Privs, or simply a glitch on some of them? I'm guessing the former, and that it's a matter of those of us who don't want our google calendar sync'd realizing it's an issue. (?)

The other thing I'm not clear on--when you deselect the google calendar default in the priv calendar, it doesn't not remove it from the list but instead puts up an icon of an eye with a slash across it. I'm assuming this simply means that these items remain hidden on your google calendar, even though the information is still being sent to the cloud. That is, if you had it deselected for a few days, then went in and selected it again, all of the items you had added to your blackberry calendar in the meantime would pop up visible in the google calendar.
    03-28-16 03:30 PM
    Yeah I know what you mean.

I literally un-sync'd absolutely anything I could find to do with google in terms of email, calendar, contacts etc... I want it off and disabled or gone. I only have a google ID for the app access.

So,... I think it's off, it shouldn't be there if it is a 3rd party (BlackBerry) developed app. Yet, it remains in the list.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-16 04:36 PM
    I've got a solution for you guys who want to have Local Calendar in BlackBerry Calendar app.

There are a few steps to it:
    1. Download Business Calendar https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tgenius.bizcal

2. Finish setup. Choose the option menu on right and press on Calendar. Click on the + to Create Local Calendar with whatever name you want. Make more if you want to.

3. Delete the Business Calendar app if you don't want to keep it. Note that it's handy if you want to add or remove Local Calendars

4. Open BlackBerry Calendar and hide all Calendars from Google. You should be able to see the Local Calendar too

How's that!!! 😉

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-29-16 05:18 AM
    I can't thank you enough for this!--I have wanted to use Business Calendar, but was under the impression it had to sync to google calendar in order to function properly. One review even said something such as "Business Calendar needs Google Calendar to operate, so it's less of a replacement than an augmentation of Google Calendar." (Natch, I can't find it now.)

I will definitely give this a try and report back--thanks again
    03-29-16 07:35 AM
    I can't thank you enough for this!--I have wanted to use Business Calendar, but was under the impression it had to sync to google calendar in order to function properly. One review even said something such as "Business Calendar needs Google Calendar to operate, so it's less of a replacement than an augmentation of Google Calendar." (Natch, I can't find it now.)

I will definitely give this a try and report back--thanks again
    No worries mate. I was actually surprised BlackBerry didn't offer it out of the box. Took me 5 minutes to discover the workaround.

I hope works out for you and others. I don't use Local Calendars.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv
    03-29-16 08:23 AM
    Just set it up and it *looks* like it solved the problem--yeah!! Thank you again TheBond

--I completely disabled the factory blackberry calendar just to make sure it wasn't pulling google calendar into anywhere
    --I made sure my google calendar was still un-sync'd
    --There was some trickiness in making sure the (undeletable) Business Calendar birthdays calendar wasn't syncing with the (undeletable) birthdays function in my (undeletable) google calendar
    --I did not initiate the pay-per "Pro" option on the app, which promises further syncing capabilities and therefore seemed to invite problems

Wow, the things a person has to do to maintain a small bit of semi-privacy these days. But very happy to have learned this app has a local function
    03-29-16 09:54 AM
    BTW: this app...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....localcalendar

...lets you disable syncing in the Google calendar app. I believe it works by taking the data from the calendar and pretending to sync it but not actually sending the data anywhere.
    03-30-16 06:12 AM