Ok, here's the situation ; I had a slip on some ice yesterday with my PRIV in my hand which struck the asphalt pretty hard face down. The screen cracked pretty good over the entire surface. With screen replacement appearing to be pretty hit and miss based on my research, I called the company that insures our phones.

Apparently the insurer nor VZW have any more access to PRIVs, so was offered a "comparable" phone, whatever that would be. I explained that I didn't want a comparable phone, I wanted a PRIV and also only BBs are allowed on my company's network. Since VZW isn't selling any current BlackBerry phones , I was offered the option of finding a BB phone at an authorized retailer and they would pay for it. The problem is that the only BB CDMA phone I can find is an unlocked VZW compatible K1 at BestBuy. I did find new STV100-2 unlocked PRIV at Amazon but I don't know yet if it will be considered an approved retailer as it's backed by Amazon but from a 3rd party supplier.

The real dilemma : I love my PRIV, it's survived a water dunking, hasn't had the battery drain, overheating, clicking screen or back, lag etc.. issues that others have experienced. I love the form factor, screen, pkb and it's shortcuts. My reception, sound quality, battery life and reliability have all been excellent. If I get the PRIV from Amazon, even if I pay for it myself, it not being a true VZW configured model, what are the odds I'll be so fortunate, that I'll get one of the problem plagued versions?

The other option I'm not excited about. I've never been interested in a K1 as I've been very happy with my PRIV and planned on keeping it for another year or so. But if it ends up being my only option, so be it.

Those of you that have or have used both, and I mean a PRIV without all the issues, what is your preference?

Does the K1 4:3 screen ratio interfere with your overall usability or enjoyment of the phone?

Is there any PRIV pkb features or functions that are missing with the K1?

What do the PRIV Forum's regulars think of the odds of getting a problem free unlocked STV100-2 from Amazon?

FF22, what has been your overall experience comparison with both on VZW's network?

Thanks for the input in advance.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-01-17 at 05:35 PM.
    10-28-17 10:51 PM
    Everything's perfect about PRIV including it's screen, reception and call quality. Unless you've a weak reception in your areas of usage, I would recommend KeyOne as this comes with Nougat and high probability of getting an Oreo in future. In short, KeyOne just to make your phone relevant for next 3 years.
    rotorwrench and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-28-17 11:12 PM
    what is the difference between the STV100-1 and STV100-2?

I have the 100-1 and it overheats and has all the bad stuff people complain about. But apparently the 100-2 is ok!
    10-29-17 12:19 AM
    Basically the difference is the supported frequencies/carriers. Carriers also put their own spin on their supported phones, like VZW Z30s having wireless charging whereas other carrier versions didn't. The STV100-2 PRIV supports CDMA as well as GSM, VZW being a CDMA network. BestBuy has unlocked STV100-1 PRIVs available but can't be used on the VZW network.

I can't say that STV100-2 versions don't have some of the problems but based on this and other forums, including my phone, I'd venture to say that they are less likely to have them, but it's possible that mine and others were exceptions to the rule. The lack of evidence makes me a little wary of getting one with issues.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-01-17 at 05:34 PM.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-29-17 12:55 AM
    Everything's perfect about PRIV including it's screen, reception and call quality. Unless you've a weak reception in your areas of usage, I would recommend KeyOne as this comes with Nougat and high probability of getting an Oreo in future. In short, KeyOne just to make your phone relevant for next 3 years.
    I appreciate the advice but I'm not too concerned about my phone being relevant as long as it serves my needs and I enjoy using it, which with the Priv I have. That being said, having Nougat and the availability of Oreo coming up would definitely be a plus.
    10-29-17 01:04 AM
    I have both. Priv has by far and away superior reception and crisper screen, and that is all. Keyone is vastly superior in every other way. Don't let the fact, like some people here, say that because the Priv has an 808 processor vs the KeyOne 625, that it is not as good. The KeyOne is faster under nearly all circumstances and impresses me with extraordinary battery life under the severest of usage. You may miss the screen size, but overall, it's a definite step up.
    10-29-17 03:04 AM
    Thanks. The screen I could probably adjust to ok but where I live reception is critical. I've always been impressed by the PRIV's reception compared to other phones when at our place as well as when in fringe areas.

I use the pkb and it's features predominately. how would you compare the two in that area.
    10-29-17 10:13 AM
    Thanks. The screen I could probably adjust to ok but where I live reception is critical. I've always been impressed by the PRIV's reception compared to other phones when at our place as well as when in fringe areas.

I use the pkb and it's features predominately. how would you compare the two in that area.
    The pkb experience on the K1 is definitely better...less cramped, and more comfortable on the hands (not top heavy like the PRIV). It really depends how much you use it. Personally I found popping the slider up all the time became a little tedious with a screen that large and for the frequency with which I access the pkb (+95% for typing input).

In terms of the reception issue, I had dropped calls on my first K1 (May 2017) but none so far on my black edition. Perhaps it was just a bad build the first time around, or my provider network tweaked their settings since then.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-29-17 10:22 AM
    another consideration is security updates. If I recall from reading elsewhere here the Priv is only good for security updates for about another year. Having the recent KRACK vulnerability patched is an example of why I appreciate these updates.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-29-17 11:57 AM
    The pkb experience on the K1 is definitely better...less cramped, and more comfortable on the hands (not top heavy like the PRIV). It really depends how much you use it. Personally I found popping the slider up all the time became a little tedious with a screen that large and for the frequency with which I access the pkb (+95% for typing input).

In terms of the reception issue, I had dropped calls on my first K1 (May 2017) but none so far on my black edition. Perhaps it was just a bad build the first time around, or my provider network tweaked their settings since then.
    Thanks for the input. I actually don't mind the slider , it's actually my preferred form factor. Decent pkb without losing screen real-estate. I'm surprised I haven't worn out the slider yet myself.
    10-29-17 02:48 PM
    Thanks for the input. I actually don't mind the slider , it's actually my preferred form factor. Decent pkb without losing screen real-estate. I'm surprised I haven't worn out the slider yet myself.
    The Priv is my third BlackBerry slider device. The other two were the first and second iteration of the Torch. They were built like tanks and though the Priv is much more elegant looking, the slide mechanism has been just as tough.

I doubt someone will ever produce it, but a new Priv would be a perfect device. Update camera specs, update processor and Nougat or Oreo and it would be a winner for me. I don't hold my breath for BBMO to make one since they seem to be targeting midrange specs with excellent performance. No flagship phone buster for them.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-29-17 04:23 PM
    another consideration is security updates. If I recall from reading elsewhere here the Priv is only good for security updates for about another year. Having the recent KRACK vulnerability patched is an example of why I appreciate these updates.
    Definitely a point worth considering.
    10-29-17 04:53 PM
    The Priv is my third BlackBerry slider device. The other two were the first and second iteration of the Torch. They were built like tanks and though the Priv is much more elegant looking, the slide mechanism has been just as tough.

I doubt someone will ever produce it, but a new Priv would be a perfect device. Update camera specs, update processor and Nougat or Oreo and it would be a winner for me. I don't hold my breath for BBMO to make one since they seem to be targeting midrange specs with excellent performance. No flagship phone buster for them.
    Agreed... although as you mention it's unlikely TCL/BBM would produce a 2nd generation Priv with updated specs it would be well received in my opinion. I know I would definitely purchase one.

I've been satisfied during my 2 years of use and plan on keeping my Priv as long as the Security Patches keep being pushed.

Who knows... maybe we content Priv owners will be pleasantly surprised with an announcement early next year TCL/BBM will release a 2nd generation Priv. Or at the very least, maybe BlackBerry will push out an update with enhancements.

Wishful thinking I know but I'm a glass half full individual.

Bob
    10-29-17 04:56 PM
    Wow! What a story! Sorry to hear about your Priv. Not sure how this plays into it, but it sounded to me like your company values security. If that is indeed the case, then getting a KEYone is your best bet. The reason I say that is because the Priv will stop receiving security updates in the near future.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-29-17 05:21 PM
    The reason I say that is because the Priv will stop receiving security updates in the near future.
    What are you considering as the "near future?" It's been reported from credible sources the Security Patches will be pushed into 2018.

Bob
    10-29-17 05:33 PM
    What are you considering as the "near future?" It's been reported from credible sources the Security Patches will be pushed into 2018.

Bob
    2018 isn't that far off. If the OP is going to get a brand new phone, why would they want to get one that will no longer be receiving security patches in 3 to 8 months? KEYone has been promised Oreo. It's the safer longer term bet if the company in question is security conscious.
    10-29-17 05:50 PM
    If it were me I would pick up a new unlocked Priv for $250.00 and roll the dice this 2nd generation KEYone will be released this Spring.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Spec...uments_id99326

Bob
    10-29-17 08:19 PM
    Wow! What a story! Sorry to hear about your Priv. Not sure how this plays into it, but it sounded to me like your company values security. If that is indeed the case, then getting a KEYone is your best bet. The reason I say that is because the Priv will stop receiving security updates in the near future.
    Yes, that could present a problem but I was under the impression that the Priv would be good with security updates into 2018.
    10-29-17 09:30 PM
    2018 isn't that far off. If the OP is going to get a brand new phone, why would they want to get one that will no longer be receiving security patches in 3 to 8 months? KEYone has been promised Oreo. It's the safer longer term bet if the company in question is security conscious.
    I've considered that and it's a valid argument but I'm leaning toward @Bob80220 's suggestion. Buy the PRIV myself and use my claim for a possible spring release K2. If they stop security updates before then I'll be forced to get a K1 at that point.

Thank you guys for the input.
    10-29-17 09:43 PM
    The difference of reception between CDMA Priv and GSM might due to the coverage of the carrier (signal strength). VZ got very good coverage 3G/4G. If you are going to buy a K1, VZ currently in the process to phase out CDMA and migrate to LTE, if you stay with 3G, not rely on VoLTE or VoIP, you might be OK, otherwise, consider the reception (coverage) is one of the key parameters to select a phone, In addition, Make sure you get a good insulting sleeve for the K1, regardless you get K1 black or silver (I don't know if black version 4Gb/64 of CDMA exist or not).
    If I were you, I will get K1... (based on the look of motion, it might be just dtek60 with reshaped board... with K1 like external... not even bother RGB LED.. I am not count on K2 TCL design... at least K1 is BB design, got enough detail into it - like the RGB LED). IMHO.
    10-30-17 07:56 AM
    Thanks. Yes reception is a primary concern for me because of the area I live and travel. According to our IT guy, VZW switching to GSM won't be happening anytime soon, and I hope not. GSM is terrible in my area and CDMA is a stronger signal. And no, there isn't a Black Edition K1 available on CDMA that I'm aware of.
    10-30-17 09:29 AM
    Ok, here's the situation ; I had a slip on some ice yesterday with my PRIV in my hand which struck the asphalt pretty hard face down. The screen cracked pretty good over the entire surface. With screen replacement appearing to be pretty hit and miss based on my research, I called the company that insures our phones.

Apparently the insurer nor VZW have any more access to PRIVs, so was offered a "comparable" phone, whatever that would be. I explained that I didn't want a comparable phone, I wanted a PRIV and also only BBs are allowed on my company's network. Since VZW isn't selling any current BlackBerry phones , I was offered the option of finding a BB phone at an authorized retailer and they would pay for it. The problem is that the only BB CDMA phone I can find is an unlocked VZW compatible K1 at BestBuy. I did find new STV100-2 unlocked PRIV at Amazon but I don't know yet if it will be considered an approved retailer as it's backed by Amazon but from a 3rd party supplier.

The real dilemma : I love my PRIV, it's survived a water dunking, hasn't had the battery drain, overheating, clicking screen or back, lag etc.. issues that others have experienced. I love the form factor, screen, pkb and it's shortcuts. My reception, sound quality, battery life and reliability have all been excellent. If I get the PRIV from Amazon, even if I pay for it myself, it not being a true VZW configured model, what are the odds I'll be so fortunate, that I'll get one of the problem plagued versions?

The other option I'm not excited about. I've never been interested in a K1 as I've been very happy with my PRIV and planned on keeping it for another year or so. But if it ends up being my only option, so be it.

Those of you that have or have used both, and I mean a PRIV without all the issues, what is your preference?

Does the K1 4:3 screen ratio interfere with your overall usability or enjoyment of the phone?

What do the PRIV Forum's regulars think of the odds of getting a problem free unlocked STV100-2 from Amazon?

FF22, what has been your overall experience comparison with both on VZW's network?

Quite honestly, the PRIV does not compare to the KEYone at all. The KEYone wins in every department really. Perhaps the amoled screen on the PRIV wins? That's all I can think of.
    10-30-17 11:43 AM

I had a priv and it garbage compared to my keyone. Battery life alone is the reason you should switch. The priv had a horrible battery and not the greatest keyboard. Buying a keyone was the best decision I ever made. I will have this phone for years
    10-30-17 03:14 PM
    I have no overheating or screen problems with my Priv, but if it broke tomorrow, I'd get a K1 BE to replace it. Recently, my Priv started dropping the signal much more frequently than before. It was fine for the first 8 months, but now that it's 11 months old, it's become very sensitive to fluctuations in signal strength. It's very frustrating when it happens during navigation. That's a pretty important phone function for me, and the sudden degradation is surprising. So I'd recommend getting a more recent phone.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-30-17 03:41 PM
    I have no overheating or screen problems with my Priv, but if it broke tomorrow, I'd get a K1 BE to replace it. Recently, my Priv started dropping the signal much more frequently than before. It was fine for the first 8 months, but now that it's 11 months old, it's become very sensitive to fluctuations in signal strength. It's very frustrating when it happens during navigation. That's a pretty important phone function for me, and the sudden degradation is surprising. So I'd recommend getting a more recent phone.
    Same here, great screen, great battery life and great reception make this a hard decision. This morning I was all set on buying another PRIV out of pocket but being unlocked ( hopefully more frequent security updates) as well as starting off with Nougat and knowing I'll be getting Oreo have swung me over far enough that I ordered the K1 this evening.

That being said, I'll run it through the wringer as soon as I get it and if I can't live with the screen or reception is as bad as some claim, I'll return it and get another PRIV.

Thanks for all the responses, they did factor in to my choice.
    10-30-17 10:37 PM
56 123