Apologies if the answer is obvious, but I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of buying an unlocked Shop BlackBerry Priv and a Priv from ATT. NOT counting price. Obviously I am talking about an ATT customer. I'm talking about different performance or bloat ware or other stuff. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:09 AM
    The AT&T version will come preloaded with the AT&T apps and will be locked to AT&T.
    11-04-15 09:19 AM
    I'm buying it unlocked because I won't have at&ts bloat ware and for whatever reason I could use it on any GSM carrier.
    11-04-15 09:21 AM
    The AT&T version will come preloaded with the AT&T apps and will be locked to AT&T.
    Not locked if he buys outright
    11-04-15 09:24 AM
    Not locked if he buys outright
    Yes it will. All AT&T phones are locked out of the gate, even if you pay full price. You still have to go through an unlocking process.
    11-04-15 09:25 AM
    Big difference I see would be updates, the unlocked from BB will get the updates right away whenever BB releases them. The at&t version will be whenever at&t releases them, so history shows 3-6 months after BB. That is the downside of at&t model even if bought full price and unlocked, still tied to at&t for software updates.
    11-04-15 09:26 AM
    Yes it will. All AT&T phones are locked out of the gate, even if you pay full price. You still have to go through an unlocking process.
    But unlocking process is free if outright purchased. Unlike the crappy CRTC wireless code here which allows providers to charge $50 for it.
    11-04-15 09:32 AM
    Big difference I see would be updates, the unlocked from BB will get the updates right away whenever BB releases them. The at&t version will be whenever at&t releases them, so history shows 3-6 months after BB. That is the downside of at&t model even if bought full price and unlocked, still tied to at&t for software updates.
    Thank you. This makes sense. And I hate being dependent on ATT.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:35 AM
    With BB10 devices you could still manually install the latest OS manually. You just would not get OTA updates, which are more convenient.

However it remains to be seen if this will be possible with the Priv. I suspect it will be possible, and the security on the phone would just check to see that the OS had been signed by BB, and if it is an official OS from BB, then it would be signed.

I can't see a reliable way a security chip would be able to do carrier-to-OS-version whitelisting.

But this is all just my theory.
    11-04-15 09:40 AM
    Actually, AT&T puts very little in the way of bloatware apps on BlackBerry phones. Usually less than half of the crap they put on other phones (other than the iPhone).

Also, we really don't know what the update process will be with BlackBerry now that they are using android.

Previously, you did not have to rely on the carrier for OS updates if you didn't want to. I never waited on AT&T for OS updates even back in the BBOS days. And I never had problems doing that on my Z10, Torch 9800, or my Pearl 8100.

But, this is a new era.

We don't know how BlackBerry intends to deliver a whole android OS update outside of going through the carriers. Will they continue to offer an autoloader method? They'll have to provide some kind of offline method.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 10:03 AM
    Actually, AT&T puts very little in the way of bloatware apps on BlackBerry phones. Usually less than half of the crap they put on other phones (other than the iPhone).
    Now that it is running Android I think its safe to say we will see all of the normal Android bloat on the Priv.
    11-04-15 10:08 AM
    Now that it is running Android I think its safe to say we will see all of the normal Android bloat on the Priv.
    I could be wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time), but I'm not so sure about that.

AT&T deals with the manufacturer on what goes on the phone. They were a bit overbearing on BlackBerry in the past when they forced BlackBerry Maps off the phones and pushed their own TeleNav maps - which you had to purchase to use. A lot of people, including me, just loaded up Google Maps or loaded the BBMaps "ribbon" file to unhide the BBMaps icon. But AT&T eventually stopped that about a year before BB10 came out.

No doubt we'll still see the AT&T Family Map, AT&T Address Book, Hotspots, and possibly AT&T Navigator (I think that replaced TeleNav - they are persistent). Oh, and myAT&T will be there.

Actually, looking at the "Preloaded apps from AT&T" list of the various phones, they are kind of all over the place. The Samsung S6 Edge+ has 22 apps (they include Visual Voicemail as an app). But the S5 only has 10. Yet, the brand new HTC One A9 only has 8.

By comparison, the Passport has only 6 preloaded AT&T apps, and the Classic has 5. Although some of those "apps" are not actual icons on the screen. The Address Book integrates itself into the main Contacts app, and the Smart Wi-Fi integrates into the network settings to find AT&T Wi-Fi networks when in range. And those things get pushed when you log onto the mobile network as they are certainly not in the OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 11:10 AM
    No doubt we'll still see the AT&T Family Map, AT&T Address Book, Hotspots, and possibly AT&T Navigator (I think that replaced TeleNav - they are persistent). Oh, and myAT&T will be there.
    AT&T Navigator is just rebranded TeleNav. I used to use that to connect to Bell's TeleNav.
    11-04-15 11:28 AM