Hi everybody there. I have a Priv and a Gear S3. I'd like to activate Gear's ability to pay through NFC and I understand I need Samsung Pay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.android.spay

Google Play tells me Samsung Pay is not compatible with my devices, yet as long as I know:

a) It has been installed in devices different that Samsung (I think Samsung opened it some monthes ago).
    b) It only asks for Android 5.0 or latter.

So, the question is...

... did any of you manage to make Samsung Pay run in Blackberry Priv? How do you sideload in Priv?

Thanks!
    04-21-17 01:46 AM
    "To get Samsung Pay up and running you'll have to go through a bit of extra configuration, though, as this is all handled through the Gear app and not through the standalone Samsung Pay app (which is still exclusive to Samsung phones)."

How to use Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 without a Samsung phone | Android Central
    FF22 likes this.
    04-21-17 02:02 AM
    What makes Samsung Pay unique is the magnetic capabilities (which is in addition to NFC). It uses software and a tiny piece of hardware to act like a physical card at traditional terminals.

Without that hardware, it won't work.

And to clarify, Samsung doesn't even make it available on all of its devices (I assume because of the hardware required). It hasn't been opened up to non-Samsung devices to my knowledge.
    04-21-17 06:12 AM
    Does anybody got it working on Priv? I do have Samsung Gear app, but it says nothing about samsung pay setup. In fact, I remember the app installing gear plugin and some other stuff but nothing related to samsung pay. I don't know if this is a restriction because of being in barcelona, because of having a Priv or because of having installed Gear App before they opened Samsung Pay to most cellphones.
    04-21-17 07:19 AM
    Does anybody got it working on Priv? I do have Samsung Gear app, but it says nothing about samsung pay setup. In fact, I remember the app installing gear plugin and some other stuff but nothing related to samsung pay. I don't know if this is a restriction because of being in barcelona, because of having a Priv or because of having installed Gear App before they opened Samsung Pay to most cellphones.
    Did you read the above replies from Mirko935 and Tre Lawrence??

Posted via CB10
    04-21-17 07:22 AM
    Sure I did. The first one is a link to a page that tells you you don't need Samsung Pay App but an extension in Samsung Gear App. I do not have that extension in mine. That is what I thought I stated in my reply. I read through all the comments and I only find one telling that international S3 is not supported yet/never. It could be my case, but the post is 4 monthes old. Second post talks about the difference between contactless and magnetic strip emulator. It is interesting yet S3 is an standalone product so I think it does not apply.

I would like to change the thread subject, but I don't know how.
    04-21-17 07:33 AM
    Reading further, I think the problem is not with Priv but with the fact that I have an International version of the Gear S3 and for some stupid reason this version does not have Samsung Pay yet if it will.
    04-21-17 08:03 AM
    Reading further, I think the problem is not with Priv but with the fact that I have an International version of the Gear S3 and for some stupid reason this version does not have Samsung Pay yet if it will.
    Where do you live? If you don't live in a country where Samsung Pay is supoorted, you simply can't use it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Pay#Availability
    04-21-17 09:14 AM
    As Mirko and I discussed in Private Message, I the old fashioned kind and am reluctant to set it up. I guess I could try it.
    04-21-17 07:55 PM
    As Mirko and I discussed in Private Message, I the old fashioned kind and am reluctant to set it up. I guess I could try it.
    It's pretty nifty. Much better right now than Apple Pay and Android Pay.
    04-21-17 08:34 PM
    It's pretty nifty. Much better right now than Apple Pay and Android Pay.
    Again, old school - not sure that I trust any of these schemes. And not sure which shops I frequent use it in any case?
    04-21-17 09:46 PM
    Yep, that makes sense. If there isn't a place to use it, there isn't a point.

I got into it because I had to (lost my wallet before a business trip) and it came in useful till my replacement cards came round.
    04-21-17 10:34 PM
    Again, old school - not sure that I trust any of these schemes. And not sure which shops I frequent use it in any case?
    One room schoolhouse on the prairie. Circle the wagons, I see smoke signals.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-21-17 10:39 PM
    One room schoolhouse on the prairie. Circle the wagons, I see smoke signals.
    No, no. I've progressed to heliograph.
    04-22-17 12:00 AM
    "To get Samsung Pay up and running you'll have to go through a bit of extra configuration, though, as this is all handled through the Gear app and not through the standalone Samsung Pay app (which is still exclusive to Samsung phones)."

How to use Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 without a Samsung phone | Android Central
    Well, I finally succumbed to the dark side or the 21st Century or are they one and the same.

I just opted into Samsung Pay. Of course, my cell phone called the bank (or the Russian Mafia - I have no way to tell) and some guy asked me a series of questions and that verified I wanted to spend money using a watch!!!

Now I have to hit the drug store which supposedly uses Samsung Pay and buy some nerve tonic and sedative! (g)

Question for US users I guess - anyone have a credit, debit or gift card tied to this system which can a finite amount of funds and is not one of your primary credit/debit cards?

And before anyone accuses me of being tin-foiled or anti-tech... Well, yes, and that's probably because I was a computer programmer in a former life and don't fully trust the damn things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mirko935 likes this.
    04-22-17 12:42 PM
    Well, I finally succumbed to the dark side or the 21st Century or are they one and the same.

I just opted into Samsung Pay. Of course, my cell phone called the bank (or the Russian Mafia - I have no way to tell) and some guy asked me a series of questions and that verified I wanted to spend money using a watch!!!

Now I have to hit the drug store which supposedly uses Samsung Pay and buy some nerve tonic and sedative! (g)

Question for US users I guess - anyone have a credit, debit or gift card tied to this system which can a finite amount of funds and is not one of your primary credit/debit cards?

And before anyone accuses me of being tin-foiled or anti-tech... Well, yes, and that's probably because I was a computer programmer in a former life and don't fully trust the damn things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations! Who knows, maybe you'll start liking it so much that you'll stop using any other form of payment.
    04-22-17 01:56 PM
    Congratulations! Who knows, maybe you'll start liking it so much that you'll stop using any other form of payment.
    My friend does not leave me alone - she thinks I should dump the checks I write.

You think I can pay my real estate taxes with the watch?
    04-22-17 02:31 PM

I use only the one card with mine.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-22-17 02:39 PM

Is Samsung Pay available for the Priv? Or do you have a Samsung device that you have been hiding? I have been using my Wells Fargo debit and credit cards on Android Pay and just activated the Wells Fargo wallet, which, as I understand it, works wherever there's a contactless payment terminal. However, the biggest issue I have is not many places do tap and pay where I live.
    Oh, also, there's 0 liability when using your banks debit and credit card online, which is technically what tap and pay is, I guess.
    04-22-17 03:27 PM
    Is Samsung Pay available for the Priv? Or do you have a Samsung device that you have been hiding? I have been using my Wells Fargo debit and credit cards on Android Pay and just activated the Wells Fargo wallet, which, as I understand it, works wherever there's a contactless payment terminal. However, the biggest issue I have is not many places do tap and pay where I live.
    Oh, also, there's 0 liability when using your banks debit and credit card online, which is technically what tap and pay is, I guess.
    I avoided Android Pay, but Samsung Pay works in places where most "regular" cards can be used, which is pretty convenient.
    04-22-17 03:47 PM
    Well, I do have a Samsung Tab S but it has faded from use other than as an Accuweather Rain forecaster.

I have the new Samsung Gear S3 watch. It has Samsung Pay on it. It did need to install some modules to the Priv but I don't see Samsung Pay showing as a separate app - it is incorporated into the Gear S app, I guess.

I have not tried it. I gather is emulates the Magnetic Stripe on regular credit/debit cards in some fashion so you put the watch near the stripe reader, besides also having NFC for touch.
    04-22-17 04:27 PM

Quoting myself which may be better than talking to myself. Hard to say....

Well, I'm batting 50%!

Used Samsung Pay and my watch at the drug store this morning and not the cannabis drug store!!! It worked.

I then tried using it at the Grocery Store and I tried using it at the grocery store and once again.... (as the line built up behind me) I whipped out my credit card and paid.

So one for two!

I noticed the card reader at Best Buy takes Samsung Pay but I had prepaid for an in-store pickup so could not try it (and resisted buying anything else!
    04-24-17 03:10 PM
    Quoting myself which may be better than talking to myself. Hard to say....

Well, I'm batting 50%!

Used Samsung Pay and my watch at the drug store this morning and not the cannabis drug store!!! It worked.

I then tried using it at the Grocery Store and I tried using it at the grocery store and once again.... (as the line built up behind me) I whipped out my credit card and paid.

So one for two!

I noticed the card reader at Best Buy takes Samsung Pay but I had prepaid for an in-store pickup so could not try it (and resisted buying anything else!
    So you place the watch along/beside the card reader?
    04-24-17 04:25 PM
    So you place the watch along/beside the card reader?
    I placed it where the slit accepts and reads the MAGNETIC strip on a credit card. The watch obviously contains some apparatus to generate a response from that portion of the card reader.

I'm not sure about the nfc component. At the grocery store which would not take the watch's input at the SLIT, I tried tapping on the rest of the pad but that did nothing. This was a device that top the magnetic strip and also had a CHIP reader. The cashier wasn't sure.

I should add, for those who haven't done set it up yet, when doing it, you need to the Samsung Pay in the Gear App on the phone (not a separate Samsung Pay app (only for their phones). But it actually took a picture of my credit card and automatically entered the info. I did have to provide the security code. Then as I mentioned, my cell phone dialed my card company where some verification interchange took place between me and an operator).
    Last edited by FF22; 04-24-17 at 07:00 PM.
    04-24-17 06:33 PM
    I placed it where the slit accepts and reads the MAGNETIC strip on a credit card. The watch obviously contains some apparatus to generate a response from that portion of the card reader.

I'm not sure about the nfc component. At the grocery store which would not take the watch's input at the SLIT, I tried tapping on the rest of the pad but that did nothing. This was a device that top the magnetic strip and also had a CHIP reader. The cashier wasn't sure.

I should add, for those who haven't done set it up yet, when doing it, you need to the Samsung Pay in the Gear App on the phone (not a separate Samsung Pay app (only for their phones). But it actually took a picture of my credit card and automatically entered the info. I did have to provide the security code. Then as I mentioned, my cell phone dialed my card company where some verification interchange took place between me and an operator).
    I remember you saying that before about your phone calling the bank. That never happened with Android Pay or Wells Fargo wallet. Also have cards set up in the Sams Club scan and go app. Just take a picture of the card and it's in there. If there's verification between them and the bank it's electronic. I seem to remember getting either an email or text verification when I set up my bank cards in Android Pay.
    04-24-17 07:33 PM
29 12