Hey as you all noticed At&t branded phones are and have been up to date for the past couple of months or so. As i am writing this my Att priv is installing the September update. I am not even using an att sim card but h2o sim which is an att mvno carrier. Do you guys think blackberry just found a way to bypass att for updates like they announced months ago?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-07-16 09:37 PM
    Hope this is indeed the case. I have an inbound AT&T unlocked Priv. I'm overseas based and will be using a different carrier sim.
    For those who recently purchased the same unit from AT&T, did yours come with Lollipop or Marshmallow already?

09-07-16 09:43 PM
    Hope this is indeed the case. I have an inbound AT&T unlocked Priv. I'm overseas based and will be using a different carrier sim.
    For those who recently purchased the same unit from AT&T, did yours come with Lollipop or Marshmallow already?

I got mine last week but I had to use the autoloader to install marshmallow

09-07-16 09:44 PM
    Can't confirm on my AT&T unlocked Priv with T-Mobile sim - still need to insert AT&T sim to get the updates...

P.S. I didn't notive your we mentioning H2O - this is AT&T MVNO and was working before as well.

False alarm...
    09-07-16 10:43 PM
    Can't confirm on my AT&T unlocked Priv with T-Mobile sim - still need to insert AT&T sim to get the updates...
    Let us know when you get it. Btw updates usually take time for different people. Some get it quickly some get it later

09-07-16 10:45 PM
    Let us know when you get it
    I installed AT&T sim and downloading it right now. I don't think anything will happen until this page is updated.
    09-07-16 10:53 PM
    I installed AT&T sim and downloading it right now. I don't think anything will happen until this page is updated.
    Lets just hope. Anyway after buying the att unlocked priv for just 350 I have really nothing to complain about. I am running latest os and security update. Lets just hope that this last for long months coming ahead.

09-08-16 01:18 AM
    BlackBerry can easily whitelist all AT&T devices to receive updates immediately but the thing is that is quite bad on their part and will really put a dent in their partnership. There's a process a carrier needs BlackBerry to go through and they've just got to stick with it even though they may not like it. Without any carriers selling their devices they are as good as finished.
    09-08-16 02:25 AM
    BlackBerry can easily whitelist all AT&T devices to receive updates immediately but the thing is that is quite bad on their part and will really put a dent in their partnership. There's a process a carrier needs BlackBerry to go through and they've just got to stick with it even though they may not like it. Without any carriers selling their devices they are as good as finished.
    It was available to att units on Tuesday. At least I got the ota update on t-mobile sim.
    09-08-16 06:28 AM

If your Priv doesn't come preloaded with Marshmallow, it should update when you activate. I agree with another post that AT&T has been pretty good about getting updates and security patches to us in a timely Manor.
    09-08-16 06:35 AM
    If your Priv doesn't come preloaded with Marshmallow, it should update when you activate. I agree with another post that AT&T has been pretty good about getting updates and security patches to us in a timely Manor.
    I think the thread here is about getting updates while on other carriers with unlocked AT&T Priv.
    Surprisingly, AT&T has been doing a fairly decent job with updates, behind TMo, but not by much, and leaps and bounds better than VZW.
    But - except in very rare instances, if you are using an AT&T Priv, on another carrier, you will get Zero updates.If you activate an unlocked AT&T Priv with a TMo SIM, you will not get Marshmallow, you will get squat.
    09-08-16 06:54 AM
    AT&T has been moderately ok in this regard, other than the (blatantly illegal under 15 USC) act of only "allowing" updates if you have an AT&T SIM in the phone. It's Verizon that has been the real problem.

There are so many anti-competitive acts the carriers engage in that it's hard to list them all, and all of them are against the law under more than hundred-year old anti-trust laws. But our government refuses to enforce any of that anywhere -- not just in the communications arena, but across the economy -- if they DID enforce said law you wouldn't have $600 Epipens; they'd be $20 like they are in France.
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-08-16 06:54 AM
    I think the thread here is about getting updates while on other carriers with unlocked AT&T Priv.
    Surprisingly, AT&T has been doing a fairly decent job with updates, behind TMo, but not by much, and leaps and bounds better than VZW.
    But - except in very rare instances, if you are using an AT&T Priv, on another carrier, you will get Zero updates.If you activate an unlocked AT&T Priv with a TMo SIM, you will not get Marshmallow, you will get squat.
    My experience last week with an ATT unlocked unit with a tmo sim is different. Mine updated, ota too. I was even prompted to update without forcing a check. I'm not alone reading the forums. I do know I paid $299 for the device and it's on marshmallow and Sept Security update (as of this Tuesday).
    09-08-16 07:30 AM
    other than the (blatantly illegal under 15 USC) act of only "allowing" updates if you have an AT&T SIM
    Which part of USC 15 are you referring to?
    There are 103 chapters, many with extensive sub-chapters.

A good point could be made that any update belongs to AT&T, is their software, and they can provide it, sell it or license it to whomever they chose, -or not.
    Another point for many of the devices is that AT&T did not sell it, and therefor are not responsible for it in any way at all.

I'm not trying to argue with you, if it's not illegal, then it should be. I'm just not convinced that it is illegal. Referring to a many thousands of pages long title act that covers switchblades, the Chrysler bailout and many myriads of other non-related stuff, isn't helping me understand.
    09-08-16 07:49 AM
    My experience last week with an ATT unlocked unit with a tmo sim is different. Mine updated, ota too. I was even prompted to update without forcing a check. I'm not alone reading the forums. I do know I paid $299 for the device and it's on marshmallow and Sept Security update (as of this Tuesday).
    So far, not my experience. My unlocked ATT phone on tmo is not getting the updates, even when I try forcing the date forward. Wonder what the difference is. I've only had the tmo sim activated since over the weekend.
    09-08-16 09:52 AM
    Which part of USC 15 are you referring to?
    There are 103 chapters, many with extensive sub-chapters.

A good point could be made that any update belongs to AT&T, is their software, and they can provide it, sell it or license it to whomever they chose, -or not.
    Another point for many of the devices is that AT&T did not sell it, and therefor are not responsible for it in any way at all.

I'm not trying to argue with you, if it's not illegal, then it should be. I'm just not convinced that it is illegal. Referring to a many thousands of pages long title act that covers switchblades, the Chrysler bailout and many myriads of other non-related stuff, isn't helping me understand.
    15 USC Chapter 1.

It is explicitly illegal to conspire between two or more individuals or firms to restrain trade and it is a felony criminal offense, not just a "civil" matter. Between these three individual laws (now all under 15 USC Chap 1) originally known as Sherman (the first), Clayton (which closed loopholes that were in the Sherman Act) and Robinson-Patman (mostly about discriminatory pricing of goods) these are the primary body of anti-trust law in the United States.

Any act that restrains trade or acts to fix prices by a firm with market power (and quite-clearly all the cell companies are implicated on that count as there are really only four in the United States) is a crime. If you own a thing that is technically capable of a thing (you paid for it in full) and said organizations take actions to intentionally damage said device (e.g. prevent it from obtaining security and/or functionality updates due to their willful and intentional acts) it's very easy to make that argument stick -- if anyone in the government cared to do so.

In addition these actions also serve to attempt to force a tied sale, which is also explicitly addressed in that body of law; attempting to force tied sales by firms with market power, where the tied product (in this case cell service) which is not desired by the customer is also generally illegal.

(There are a handful of exemptions from anti-trust laws, such as government agencies and marine insurance firms. Cellular service firms -- and the entire medical industry -- are NOT immune.)
    Wezard likes this.
    09-08-16 10:02 AM
    Hmmm. Luck of the draw, then? Since I purchased online my unlocked AT&T unit just a few days ago, I'm hoping it already is on marshmallow. But now, it seems with recent units, some are and some aren't. Que sera sera...

jfalkingham likes this.
    09-08-16 10:05 AM
    You can update through autoloader without wiping your device if you edit the flashall.bat
    09-08-16 10:24 AM
    You can update through autoloader without wiping your device if you edit the flashall.bat
    Thanks for the tip. I hope to be able to do this without too much drama...

09-08-16 10:29 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I hope to be able to do this without too much drama...

Autoloader are soooooo underrated. I dont know why they are not buzzing around on the forums about the them. You can basically update your pc right now if you wanted and get the latest update. It is really Super easy that anyone can do it you know how to follow three simple steps.

09-08-16 10:41 AM
    Hmmm. Luck of the draw, then? Since I purchased online my unlocked AT&T unit just a few days ago, I'm hoping it already is on marshmallow. But now, it seems with recent units, some are and some aren't. Que sera sera...

It seems so! I was actually on WiFi when using tmo sim if that made any difference. Not sure where the gatekeeper is, I assume BlackBerry.
    09-08-16 10:45 AM
    It seems so! I was actually on WiFi when using tmo sim if that made any difference. Not sure where the gatekeeper is, I assume BlackBerry.
    No. What is actually going on here is that AT&T has *replaced* the stock Android firmware update checker with one that points at *their* server in their OEM firmware loads. This allows them to refuse to process an update that comes in with the "wrong" SIM in the device.
    09-08-16 12:17 PM