I received my ShopBlackBerry Priv order.

The box date for the Priv is 041115 at the infamous Mexico 6.

This means that the unit was boxed last Wednesday, Nov 4. Then, shipped to ShopBlackBerry in Indiana. Then, shipped again on Friday from Indiana to me.

Privs are coming basically straight from the factory to consumers.

I don't know what conclusions can be drawn from this other than that demand is exceeding supply.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    11-10-15 09:29 AM
    So the PRIV isn't being made by one of their manufacturing and inventory "partners"???
    11-10-15 09:34 AM
    You are one of the lucky few that got their PRIV. For sure that they were not prepared to say the least.
    11-10-15 09:35 AM
    This is actually very good news in some respects. If there are manufacturing issues, there isn't a whole lot of bad stock out there that needs to be returned. BlackBerry can make fixes right on the line and get them JIT into the pipeline.
    11-10-15 09:37 AM
    I received my ShopBlackBerry Priv order.

The box date for the Priv is 041115 at the infamous Mexico 6.

This means that the unit was boxed last Wednesday, Nov 4. Then, shipped to ShopBlackBerry in Indiana. Then, shipped again on Friday from Indiana to me.

Privs are coming basically straight from the factory to consumers.

I don't know what conclusions can be drawn from this other than that demand is exceeding supply.

Posted via CB10
    That's how a good supply chain works.

When I worked for fashion companies in inventory control, trucks would unload on one side of the warehouse and the product would never hit the shelves in the warehouse, just get routed through to trucks waiting on the other side to go to specific zones.

Posted via CB10
    You think so? Or is it Chen is being cautious that he makes the Priv to order?
    saxxman likes this.
    You think so? Or is it Chen is being cautious that he makes the Priv to order?
    Good manufacturing is agile and always makes things JIT (i.e. made to order).
    Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-10-15 09:38 AM
    Anyway the less time the device stays in a inventory channel, the less money that BlackBerry is having to "put out".

And the closer production matches sales, the better it will be for BlackBerry.

Only problem is it is more expensive to buy components and to manufacture that way.
    11-10-15 09:39 AM
    I defer to Matt J and people like him who have experience in manufacturing.

Personally, I have never gotten a BlackBerry with a boxed date so close to the date I received it.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 09:41 AM
    So you're saying that my shop bb order isn't waiting for the fedex truck to be shipped like I was told?
    11-10-15 09:43 AM
    I defer to Matt J and people like him who have experience in manufacturing.

Personally, I have never gotten a BlackBerry with a boxed date so close to the date I received it.

Posted via CB10
    This just means that someone that buys a Priv 3 months from now will have the latest manufacturing specs. Any hardware issues will have worked themselves out.

In fact, it seems that BlackBerry is doing the same with its app updates. There seems to be a new app release daily for a component of the OS. This means that BlackBerry software engineers are working non-stop of improving the experience. I assume the hardware engineers are doing the same on the assembly line.

Good news overall.
    11-10-15 09:44 AM
    Yep. Ordered Oct 29. Will wait patiently for efficiently manufactured and shipped Priv. Besides, still love the SE Passport

SQW 100-4 / 10.3.2.2789
    11-10-15 09:58 AM
    So you're saying that my shop bb order isn't waiting for the fedex truck to be shipped like I was told?
    If you were told it shipped, it probably did. They might have low supply but it's not like they had zero.
    11-10-15 10:07 AM
    This just means that someone that buys a Priv 3 months from now will have the latest manufacturing specs. Any hardware issues will have worked themselves out.

In fact, it seems that BlackBerry is doing the same with its app updates. There seems to be a new app release daily for a component of the OS. This means that BlackBerry software engineers are working non-stop of improving the experience. I assume the hardware engineers are doing the same on the assembly line.

Good news overall.
    So my plan of saving up now and buying it in February should pay off nicely.
    11-10-15 10:07 AM
    Based on the information by the OP, it seems that BlackBerry is running Just-in-Time with the Priv. As with any JIT manufacturing process there is less likelihood that manufacturing defects make their way into the broader pipeline.

For example, if BlackBerry make 250,000 Privs and put them into inventory, and it was later found that there was a camera defect, then that is bad news overall for BlackBerry and the consumer.

However, if the camera defect was caught early, and corrected early, a smaller number of devices will make their way into consumer hands.

I would say that waiting 3 to 6 months will result in a higher quality unit. There have been some reports of camera issues, spongy keyboards and poor backlighting. These issues are probably being corrected right now on the production line, resulting is better devices for those that wait a bit.

This is true for all manufactured goods.

Posted via CB10
    cgk, LazyEvul and webber27 like this.
    11-10-15 10:13 AM
    Based on the information by the OP, it seems that BlackBerry is running Just-in-Time with the Priv. As with any JIT manufacturing process there is less likelihood that manufacturing defects make their way into the broader pipeline.

For example, if BlackBerry make 250,000 Privs and put them into inventory, and it was later found that there was a camera defect, then that is bad news overall for BlackBerry and the consumer.

However, if the camera defect was caught early, and corrected early, a smaller number of devices will make their way into consumer hands.

I would say that waiting 3 to 6 months will result in a higher quality unit. There have been some reports of camera issues, spongy keyboards and poor backlighting. These issues are probably being corrected right now on the production line, resulting is better devices for those that wait a bit.

This is true for all manufactured goods.

Posted via CB10
    Perfect, since I'm waiting for a Christmas sale anyway!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 10:33 AM
    Maybe those who are so impatient to get one could go to Mexico and pick up .(kidding)
    Theicecreamman likes this.
    11-10-15 10:37 AM
    Good manufacturing is agile and always makes things JIT (i.e. made to order).
    Except JIT cost more if you aren't sure about volume....
    If you don't place an order for a specific number of components.. you pay more.
    If you don't reserve a manufacturing line for a specific number of days or for a specific production run... you pay more.

It's really all about managing risk at this point... and I still wonder who is taking that risk. Has BlackBerry bypassed their partnerships and built the PRIV themselves (or with their more traditional manufacturing partner) in Mexico?
    11-10-15 11:52 AM
    Except JIT cost more if you aren't sure about volume....
    If you don't place an order for a specific number of components.. you pay more.
    If you don't reserve a manufacturing line for a specific number of days or for a specific production run... you pay more.

It's really all about managing risk at this point... and I still wonder who is taking that risk. Has BlackBerry bypassed their partnerships and built the PRIV themselves (or with their more traditional manufacturing partner) in Mexico?
    Made to order doesn't necessarily mean the individual parts weren't already sourced though.

It very well could be that all the individual parts were already ordered and/or produced, but they await final assembly until the next order comes in.
    11-10-15 01:47 PM
    I'm okay waiting for another month if I know that BlackBerry going to solve any outstanding issues with the phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 01:50 PM
    Made to order doesn't necessarily mean the individual parts weren't already sourced though.

It very well could be that all the individual parts were already ordered and/or produced, but they await final assembly until the next order comes in.
    Could be... but really manufacturing cost are pretty minimum. While the PRIV scale is much different than the iPhone, there are plenty of iPhone cost breakdowns out there. Manufacturing is about $8 a phone, the boxing and accessories another $7. So unless there is a system in place to return any unused components... not sure what the benefit is to not just putting them all together.

I really think that right now they are testing the waters...
    MobileTrekker likes this.
    11-10-15 02:04 PM
    Well BlackBerry learned from the Z10 fiasco

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 02:08 PM
    Could be... but really manufacturing cost are pretty minimum. While the PRIV scale is much different than the iPhone, there are plenty of iPhone cost breakdowns out there. Manufacturing is about $8 a phone, the boxing and accessories another $7. So unless there is a system in place to return any unused components... not sure what the benefit is to not just putting them all together.

I really think that right now they are testing the waters...
    ahh, makes sense. I just wasn't sure how common components are, in terms of if they were to be left unused for the Priv, would they be able to be sold to others phone manufactures etc. i'm a bit out of my depth here haha
    11-10-15 02:26 PM
    ahh, makes sense. I just wasn't sure how common components are, in terms of if they were to be left unused for the Priv, would they be able to be sold to others phone manufactures etc. i'm a bit out of my depth here haha
    We all are... we are just trying to figure out what BlackBerry is doing and why they are doing it.... and sometimes even when we finds out, it's hard to understand.
    FCSC likes this.
    11-10-15 02:38 PM
    They are probably using the build to order method instead of build to stock. Safer for BlackBerry, but lousy for customers. Mexico 6 perfectly explains the QC issues that people are reporting. I'm having recollections of my Passport fiasco with more than 10 defective devices. I was really hoping these were build with Samsung parts in Samsung partner manufacturing facilities.
    11-10-15 02:46 PM
30 12