Would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan?

Now, after only 3 days, I've decided I'm definitely keeping the Priv and since I bought from Amazon, I have been thinking about insurance since the device was $750.

Finally just signed up for BlackBerry's care plan. Wondering if anyone else has done the same for their Priv? Basically covers everything that my mom's insurance from AT&T covers except for lost or stolen from what I understand.

Feel like it's a bit of peace of mind considering the initial cost. Just figured I'd throw this out there to see if those buying unlocked are going with BlackBerry's insurance or another.

Never had insurance on my other devices (Z10, Z30, Passport) so really was unsure if this was the best option or if there's anything better out there? Definitely easy to sign up for!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-20-15 11:50 AM
    I just got the insurance as well. Got a two years old at home and you never know what happens next.
    11-20-15 12:04 PM
    I just got the insurance as well. Got a two years old at home and you never know what happens next.
    Yup. That's what I'm thinking. For $5/month seems worth it. Cost $750 with tax so pretty significant for a phone! Wasn't sure if others used BlackBerry or another, possibly better, option.

11-20-15 12:28 PM
    I've never bought insurance for a phone until I ordered the Priv. After reading people have small issues or problems with the device it's better to be safe than sorry. I got my insurance for 2yrs through Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 12:33 PM
    I'm trying to decide between BlackBerry's insurance and AT&T's insurance. AT&T's cost a bit more and the deductible is a bit higher I believe but it does cover your device if it's lost or stolen...I don't believe BlackBerry's does that.

From what I've read other than lost or stolen coverage they are very similar.

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    11-20-15 01:06 PM
    I've never bought insurance for a phone until I ordered the Priv. After reading people have small issues or problems with the device it's better to be safe than sorry. I got my insurance for 2yrs through Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    Amazon offers insurance for the Priv? I bought from Amazon so not sure if that might be a better option. Will have to look into it.

11-20-15 01:32 PM
    I'm trying to decide between BlackBerry's insurance and AT&T's insurance. AT&T's cost a bit more and the deductible is a bit higher I believe but it does cover your device if it's lost or stolen...I don't believe BlackBerry's does that.

From what I've read other than lost or stolen coverage they are very similar.

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    My mom has insurance from AT&T on her Priv. You are correct that it covers lost/stolen whereas BlackBerry doesn't.

Didn't think I could even add on insurance from AT&T since I purchased from Amazon and not an AT&T branded version. If it's only a few bucks more, I'd take the AT&T just for the lost/stolen.

Has happened to me more than once, but lately I've been better with that since buying unlocked (expensive!).

qwerty4ever likes this.
    11-20-15 01:37 PM
    Two years through Bell 👍

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Priv
    11-20-15 01:53 PM
    So funny to see this thread. I never by insurance for my electronic devices. But, I too bought insurance for my PRIV. (I went with AT&T) My reasoning has more to do with the size and nature of the slider form factor making it more desirable to go 'naked' w/o a case. I figure a good Otterbox style case can be pricy so I am just buying the 'ultimate' case by buying insurance. Even though I sure as he'll hope I never have need to use it.

Proudly PRIVateering since 2015.
    11-20-15 01:55 PM
    Just remember that insurance is.... Insurance.

By definition therefore most people lose. If you win fine, but realize you're betting against the house and it know more than you do.

11-20-15 08:50 PM
    Was debating between BlackBerry protection plan and ATT . Although ATT covered against lost/stolen device the monthly payments were over $2 more per/month plus Asurcion which takes care and processes of all the claims has horrible reviews. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/asurion.html

Posted w/ Priv
    11-20-15 09:06 PM
    Just remember that insurance is.... Insurance.

By definition therefore most people lose. If you win fine, but realize you're betting against the house and it know more than you do.

This is very true. I used to have insurance when I was younger on my bill as "they" said I should have it. Be it Verizon or AT&T at the time. Ever since my back to BlackBerry Z10, I have removed insurance then switched to AT&T to use the Passport.

For some reason, I'm just feeling that $750 pain and the BlackBerry Care peace of mind for $5 is good enough for right now.

Not sure if I can get insurance from AT&T, but I'd assume they'd replace with an AT&T device if I could. I'm pretty much stuck with them anyway though and would really like the additional lost/stolen protection.

I know I'd get a fix or refurb depending on the insurer, but thought I'd see what others are doing. Will have to see if AT&T will even offer the insurance to me. Device is only a few days old + still have to look into insurance from Amazon as someone mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

11-20-15 11:04 PM
    Rogers Wireless told me that if the BlackBerry Priv is lost or stolen or damaged beyond repair I will get a new smartphone not a refurbished smartphone.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-20-15 11:14 PM
    So I finally looked up "Amazon" insurance and I found Square Trade which is $99.99 for 2 years, but...

Protection from Drops, Spills & You*
    Drop it? Spill on it? Run over it? No worries. We cover accidents caused by you and people you know. (Plan does not cover intentional damage, loss, or theft.)

...Their deductible is only $99 compared to BlackBerry which is $129 and their 2 year price is a little less expensive if I were to keep BlackBerry Care for the full 2 years, but not expecting to so I do prefer BlackBerry's $5/month over Square Trade so ultimately comes down to if insuring through AT&T is even possible. If not then no need to keep looking around.

I'd still be missing the lost or stolen though. Does anyone know if AT&T would insure the phone (unlocked model) or how long I have to even get it if I decided to?

Guess I could look into that as well and see what I can find. Not sure about the Rogers comment above, but a while ago when the Droid Bionic came out, I had to file for lost/stolen and received a refurb (worked perfectly) from Verizon. I believe both Verizon and AT&T use the same company. I'd be doubtful that Rogers would be any different, but I'm not from Canada and know nothing of the company they use.

11-20-15 11:38 PM
    I'm curious, after reading the Terms/Conditions it says you need to pay the deductible before making a claim.

Does that only apply to accidental damage claims? Or if something goes wrong in general. If its the latter then its not worth it in the least.
    11-21-15 12:17 AM
    I'm curious, after reading the Terms/Conditions it says you need to pay the deductible before making a claim.

Does that only apply to accidental damage claims? Or if something goes wrong in general. If its the latter then its not worth it in the least.
    Don't forget you still get a warranty with the phone. General problems that aren't your fault would fall under warranty but once that expires you'd be on the hook for repairs anyway.
    11-21-15 12:33 AM