Hoping global roll out quickly!
    techvisor likes this.
    10-12-15 10:20 PM
    They need to start advertising already. I hope they do a lot of advertising. It's Android, so it will catch people's attention.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry, you said this word that started with adver-something. Whatever that is, it sure doesn't go with BlackBerry.

KAM
    10-12-15 11:07 PM
    The wait is killing me, my patients and loyalty.

-- CA Governor on Passport SE
    You're a doctor?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-12-15 11:19 PM
    You're a doctor?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Lol!!!

Nah, Governor.

 CA Governor on Passport SE 
    guygardner73 likes this.
    10-12-15 11:21 PM
    It's rumoured the BB10 version will be out next week.

Shortly followed by the Android version in November.

Then the iOS version in December.

But wait there's more! Windows version in 2016 Q1...and you won't believe this but...WebOS version in 2021 Q2.
    I am waiting for the DOS version. I really miss Batch file processes - and actually, I do!
    Toodeurep and techvisor like this.
    10-12-15 11:34 PM
    I am waiting for the DOS version. I really miss Batch file processes - and actually, I do!
    Wow that's messed up!
    FF22 and techvisor like this.
    10-13-15 12:04 AM
    Did anyone really expect BlackBerry to do anything other than make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again?

Soon Chairman Chen will "clarify" that he meant the end of the fiscal year.

Meaning that about the second calendar quarter of 2016 folks will finally be able to buy the Priv (which will then be outdated and irrelevant).

Note there are only 9 Friday's left before Christmas... it's really already too late for the coming holiday season.

Posted via CB10
    KAM1138 and DJM626 like this.
    10-13-15 01:32 AM
    Showing your age now F2!!!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-15 02:28 AM
    It's rumoured the BB10 version will be out next week.

Shortly followed by the Android version in November.

Then the iOS version in December.

But wait there's more! Windows version in 2016 Q1...and you won't believe this but...WebOS version in 2021 Q2.

Sounds good to me hoping and waiting for better days.
    As the days go by...-e37.png
    techvisor likes this.
    10-13-15 05:40 AM
    The same thing happened last year with the Classic but there was that one lady forget her name had one and answered peoples questions .Not this time that leads me to think it is not complete and no Final specs yet .
    10-13-15 07:06 AM
    I did catch where Chen said in the botched demo he did that they had been testing the device for a year, so they should be ready and get the thing to market ASAP. But, it's looking more and more like the botched OS10 launch that was a year late and virtually killed what chances they had to make it a successful product.

Oh well, I am being patient and will wait until the beginning of November and if they are still dragging their feet, I will spend my money elsewhere, I am just wondering when those folks up there in Waterloo will just once launch a product with a concrete release date like everyone else does instead of the "coming soon" mentality they still hang on to?
    10-13-15 07:59 AM
    As excited as I am for this phone I'm not tense and I'm not anxious. It's a phone. I have a phone. The Priv will not change my life or make it better.

Ya sure it will be great to get one and get official details but I'm ok to wait. Leaks are leaks, they happen all the time. BlackBerry will release when they said they will. Chill it boys.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-15 08:10 AM
    Hello,

I don't follow Android News that closely, but not so long ago, hardware was coming quickly, and "top specs" one day weren't the next. Is that still the case?

If so, and BlackBerry is going slowly (for whatever reason) with "top specs" but it takes months to get to customers, will they end up trying to sell hardware that is already dated?

KAM
    Not so much anymore, I think. I am using a 3 year old Note2 and it still is fast enough for daily use (internet, news apps, email, IM, various tools...oh, and calling too ). Of course if you would be playing graphic intensive games it would probably lag, but other than that its still quite good. Other parts of the phone, however, do tend to get old, techwise. Current day camera's, for instance, have become much better, the Note2, like the PRIV, does not have a fingerprint scanner.
    I don't think evolution of current day phones is going that quick anymore. Maybe in benchmarks there is still a big difference from one SOC to the next, but I doubt you will notice the difference in daily use. I guess it's kind of the same as with current day PC's.
    10-13-15 08:14 AM
    All I've ever heard is November for the PRIV..... so far it's right on time.

I have to wonder how much of this is in expatiation of the PRIV, and how much of it is in the expatiation of BlackBerry having another shot at relevance in the mobile market? Sadly I think too many are getting their hopes beyond what BlackBerry can deliver.....
    10-13-15 08:27 AM
    BlackBerry is the only company that announces a device and doesn't announce a release or availability date, you would think that if things need to change, this would be a priority of being more reliable and speed to market.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:30 AM
    As excited as I am for this phone I'm not tense and I'm not anxious. It's a phone. I have a phone. The Priv will not change my life or make it better.

Ya sure it will be great to get one and get official details but I'm ok to wait. Leaks are leaks, they happen all the time. BlackBerry will release when they said they will. Chill it boys.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    This. As much as I do like this phone, my sensible side always remind me I only got this Classic for 8 months. It's just irrational to get another phone right now.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 08:32 AM
    The tension in this PRIV section gets more and more. Because we as fans of BB know that as each day passes, with still no information whatsoever about this slider device, the likelihood of this phone coming out in our desired horizons becomes less and less.

The next two weeks will be a crucial factor in releasing this phone by the end of Oct. I was shooting for a mid-November release (November 14th) but as far as right now this device sadly might not come out in 2015.

I'm just venting here.
    The lack of info on the Priv is intentional from BlackBerry to help build mystery and curiosity. It's a good move if you ask me considering not only the fact that the average consumer either believes BlackBerry to be dead or to be the cell phone their parents used (translation: uncool until it becomes retro), and, that they are entering a market where one wrong spec could spell disaster and where Samsung is king and LG the prince. If they hit the sweet spot-end of November-they will get decent sales numbers.

The good news is that the OS is complete and with Foxconn doing the manufacturing there should be no delay if the work order was put in early enough.

Soon isn't a promising word for an upcoming product. Chen did say it would be coming in 2015 and so does the BBRY website. If this is true I'm assuming it would be released mid-November/early-December.
    The official line is "Fall 2015". Keep in mind the first day of winter is December 21.

They need to start advertising already. I hope they do a lot of advertising. It's Android, so it will catch people's attention.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    I dunno. This Priv circus is garnering a lot of media attention, if even some of it is negative (you know, all of the Chen speaks stuff). I do not recall one Android handset ever that has received so much attention as the Priv and the ultimate irony is that we (and they) continuously talk about a phone that little is known about.

Advertising would surely help but c'mon, just look at the sheer number of new CrackBerry users who recently appeared out of nowhere--all because of the Priv.
    10-13-15 08:49 AM
    All I've ever heard is November for the PRIV..... so far it's right on time.

I have to wonder how much of this is in expatiation of the PRIV, and how much of it is in the expatiation of BlackBerry having another shot at relevance in the mobile market? Sadly I think too many are getting their hopes beyond what BlackBerry can deliver.....

Interesting use of the word "expatiation" here. Do you mean "expectation" instead?

Yes, I am that guy
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-13-15 08:54 AM
    Showing your age now F2!!!

 Posted by Passport, BlackBerry's Beast 
    The GRAY RECEDING hairline does it for me!!! Too bad you're in OZ or you, too, could be contributing to my Social Security checks!

And to round out the picture, I was a Cobol programmer back in the day.
    anon(4067838) likes this.
    10-13-15 09:55 AM
    I am just wondering when those folks up there in Waterloo will just once launch a product with a concrete release date like everyone else does instead of the "coming soon" mentality they still hang on to?
    If I were making these decisions, I wouldn't announce a date unless I had a high degree of confidence that the product would be ready on that date. And given the uncertainties of software development, the only way I could have that kind of confidence would be if the product were more or less ready, though not perfect, right now. If I know I can release it now without it being a complete fiasco, then I can be pretty sure it'll be better at a later date.

The fact that we don't have a release date now suggests to me that there are some things that just aren't working yet. My guess would be the BBXP stuff, especially since that's the stuff that we haven't seen meaningfully previewed in leaks so far. In this situation it's simply impossible to say when it'll be ready. You can guess, but that's all you're doing, because no one knows. That's what happened with the BB10/Z10 launch, and Chen isn't eager to repeat it.

I don't think it's the security aspect that's holding things up, because Chen seems willing to make fairly clear, if not inspiring, statements about the Priv's security.

Those of us who don't actually do this kind of work tend to think that if there are software problems you can still just pick a date, have everyone pull a lot of overtime, and just get it done. But it doesn't work that way. If BBXP on the Priv is seriously buggy, that's going to be a big problem. They have to get it right the first time. I don't think Chen wants to risk painting himself into a corner the way Heins did.
    10-13-15 10:02 AM
    If I were making these decisions, I wouldn't announce a date unless I had a high degree of confidence that the product would be ready on that date. And given the uncertainties of software development, the only way I could have that kind of confidence would be if the product were more or less ready, though not perfect, right now. If I know I can release it now without it being a complete fiasco, then I can be pretty sure it'll be better at a later date.

The fact that we don't have a release date now suggests to me that there are some things that just aren't working yet. My guess would be the BBXP stuff, especially since that's the stuff that we haven't seen meaningfully previewed in leaks so far. In this situation it's simply impossible to say when it'll be ready. You can guess, but that's all you're doing, because no one knows. That's what happened with the BB10/Z10 launch, and Chen isn't eager to repeat it.

I don't think it's the security aspect that's holding things up, because Chen seems willing to make fairly clear, if not inspiring, statements about the Priv's security.

Those of us who don't actually do this kind of work tend to think that if there are software problems you can still just pick a date, have everyone pull a lot of overtime, and just get it done. But it doesn't work that way. If BBXP on the Priv is seriously buggy, that's going to be a big problem. They have to get it right the first time. I don't think Chen wants to risk painting himself into a corner the way Heins did.
    Funny you mention the SDLC, because I personally see the opposite. These days it's all about delivery, in the name of "agile" processes. Deliver first as long as there are no showstoppers, fix next release. Seems like the mentality has shifted to "I don't care, I just want it now" rather than "I want it when it's perfect."

Heck even Microsoft is doing that with Windows 10 now. Push out the RTM, then incremental feature roll-ups.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-13-15 10:19 AM
    I think the hardware is ready, but the software isn't. I don't think the leaks have been, in any way, orchestrated by BlackBerry. And no leak so far shows any of the BlackBerry Experience functionality - just icons and app stubs as placeholders. Whatever the delays are, they also have to be thinking about releasing with Android 6.0. The main new feature is app permissions which should be part of the Priv's core set of security/privacy functionality.

And Chen has recently made a subtle change in his statements about release. Most recently, he's said it will be out before the end of the year - not the end of fall or November.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on the mighty Qued! - Channel C003DAB77
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-13-15 10:40 AM
    As long as it has BlackBerry stamped across the top of it, it still has that BlackBerry mentality.

Oh well! This is proof that some things never change

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:40 AM
    Funny you mention the SDLC, because I personally see the opposite. These days it's all about delivery, in the name of "agile" processes. Deliver first as long as there are no showstoppers, fix next release. Seems like the mentality has shifted to "I don't care, I just want it now" rather than "I want it when it's perfect."

Heck even Microsoft is doing that with Windows 10 now. Push out the RTM, then incremental feature roll-ups.

Posted via CB10
    It's called managing technology debt. It's often not managed well.
    10-13-15 10:46 AM
    The more things change the more they stay the same

Posted via CB10
    10-13-15 10:49 AM
56 123