i was a long time blackberry owner beginning with the pearl then curve then bold. i tried the Q10 which was when i finally decided to jump ship to android. i chose the HTC ONE and after some tweaks i ended up quite happy with it. after 2 years it was time to replace it. i had worked on some iphone commercials and was super impressed with the quality of their camera. but i didn't want to leave android and when i read about the priv i thought my dreams had come true. so i waited and finally bought the priv the day tmo began selling it. it arrived yesterday and i would say i am definitely in the adjusting to this phone phase. that said i have some silly obvious questions/complaints and can hopefully end on some kudos...

question: where the heck are my photos? on my HTC there was a "gallery" which had albums in it that the phone created and that i could also add to. i see google photos on my PRIV but when i open it, i have to then hit the menu bars in the top left and select "device folders" to see all of the photos i transferred over. kind of a pain and i don't see any options to hide/show albums etc....do i need a new app to manage my albums and photos? or am i missing something here?

question 2: on the HTC i could easily add a song to my ringtone with a big plus symbol in the menu. i don't see that option on the PRIV. do i need an app for that? which one? thanks!!

question 2A: is there a way to get my old tones on my new phone? i can't exactly recall but i think i had a folder on the HTC of old blackberry tones like magenta. i know change can be good but i am super accustomed to that tone for email like pavlovs dog

what else? oh why on earth is the headphone jack on the bottom? seriously this makes no design sense to me. i will use that daily and not need to open the SIM or SD card holders ever.

all that being said, i haven't really had heat issues or creaky squeaky probs. i installed nova launcher cause i was using on the other android. but i may go back to the blackberry launcher. it felt good...intuitive.

and most importantly i am loving blackberry's physical and virtual keyboards. swype typing was never very good on my previous phone. and the LED light of course is key. but you guys already know that.

i will likely add to this as i continue to explore this phone. forgive me for not thoroughly searching the forums before posting. and thank you in advance for any help you can provide. i have twenty days to decide whether or not to keep it...
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 02-08-16 at 09:40 AM. Reason: improve
    Jonneh likes this.
    02-03-16 08:02 PM
    1) Google Photos is great for cloud syncing but garbage for actual use. I use Piktures instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pictures&hl=en

2) Ringtones should be saved in the Ringtones folder of the device memory. You can copy the .mp3 ringtone file there with either a PC or a file manager app.

2A) As above, but in the Notifications folder.
    Jonneh and walterkurtz like this.
    02-03-16 08:51 PM
    Congrats on your new Priv! This thread could be great, if you'll keep it running with your experiences getting comfy with the new device.
    02-03-16 09:41 PM
    1) Google Photos is great for cloud syncing but garbage for actual use. I use Piktures instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pictures&hl=en

2) Ringtones should be saved in the Ringtones folder of the device memory. You can copy the .mp3 ringtone file there with either a PC or a file manager app.

2A) As above, but in the Notifications folder.
    Thanks for the recommendation for the photo App!

I was using f-stop, but Piktures seems better!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-03-16 10:33 PM
    HTC one also has the headphone jack on the bottom. I think it's great down there
    02-04-16 03:14 AM
    HTC one also has the headphone jack on the bottom. I think it's great down there
    i have the HTC ONE M7 and it's on top. when it's next to me in the car or in my pocket it doesn't really matter of course. but i suspect it's more prone to damage on the bottom, and still wonder why they would choose to put it there in the first place...seems counterintuitive.
    02-04-16 09:53 AM
    i have the HTC ONE M7 and it's on top. when it's next to me in the car or in my pocket it doesn't really matter of course. but i suspect it's more prone to damage on the bottom, and still wonder why they would choose to put it there in the first place...seems counterintuitive.
    Ah. I had the M9. It was on the bottom. Sorry.
    02-04-16 10:16 AM
    ....on the bottom, and still wonder why they would choose to put it there in the first place...seems counterintuitive.
    I don't own the Priv, but my take on this is that the bottom section is the largest single piece. It's probably the only place the plug could fit. If you put the plug at the top instead, for example, would you put it in the main body or in the screen portion? I think that the screen is too thin for that, and if you put the plug in the body, what would happen to the cord when you decided to slide the keyboard up? If the cord happens to be in the way of the screen, you'd mostly likely rip it out of the socket, or damage it.

I think that the fact that it's a slider has dictated where he headphone jack can fit and ensure that the cable not be in the way of the sliding motion
    02-04-16 10:24 AM
    The ringtones to the ringtones folder thing is an android 5.1 change, I suspect your older phone had an earlier android where this wasn't required.
    02-04-16 10:37 AM
    thanks for all the help guys. a couple of newer issues/questions if anyone is still reading...

1. on my HTC one in my call log i could long press a name and get an option to text someone. is there any way to do that with the PRIV? get an app??

2. when typing with the virtual keyboard often a predicted word appears on the space bar...so when i hit space on the word i want to type i get the incorrect prediction instead of a space. i hope this makes sense.. it's just a minor annoyance at this point. however the whole point of my return to blackberry was better typing!!

3. i get reminder notifications asking if i want to connect to wifi to make calls like every hour. where can i disable?? i looked in a few places but just getting to know her...
    EDIT:
    think i figured this one out. i disabled wifi calling under settings>more>wifi calling menu

thank you!!
    Last edited by walterkurtz; 02-04-16 at 04:21 PM.
    02-04-16 02:33 PM
    you're right. now that i look at it that way. the screen is thin enough that you would have to put the jack in the screen portion of the phone if it were on top. it's weird. but this is a good explanation...thank you.
    02-04-16 02:35 PM
    1. on my HTC one in my call log i could long press a name and get an option to text someone. is there any way to do that with the PRIV? get an app??
    Not exactly the call log, but you can press the three dots on an entry in the dialer's Speed Dial/tap on an entry in Contacts and hit the little text icon to start texting.
    02-04-16 07:33 PM
    Yes the jack on the bottom is weird but I overcame this issue with pair of Bluetooth headphones lol

02-04-16 08:54 PM
    Yes the jack on the bottom is weird but I overcame this issue with pair of Bluetooth headphones lol

champions adapt!
    02-04-16 10:09 PM
    Not exactly the call log, but you can press the three dots on an entry in the dialer's Speed Dial/tap on an entry in Contacts and hit the little text icon to start texting.
    ah i see that now thank you!
    02-04-16 10:09 PM
    only day two but battery life is legit! 12h since i left the umbilical cord and still at 62 per cent.
    CherokeeMarty likes this.
    02-04-16 10:10 PM

2. when typing with the virtual keyboard often a predicted word appears on the space bar...so when i hit space on the word i want to type i get the incorrect prediction instead of a space. i hope this makes sense.. it's just a minor annoyance at this point. however the whole point of my return to blackberry was better typing!!
    When there is a suggested/corrected word for what you typed, it appears in green on the spacebar so hitting space will change to the green word. However, directly above the green word will be what you typed in white. Rather than hitting space to insert the green word, swipe up on spacebar to leave what you originally typed.

Also, you can go into settings to adjust this feature if you want. Go to Settings > Language & input > BlackBerry keyboard settings > Prediction and correction, then select 'Auto correction' and adjust the slider for 'On-screen keyboard'.
    lesarmitage likes this.
    02-04-16 10:58 PM
    Not enough space with half of the top side sliding out.
    Lalabum likes this.
    02-04-16 11:22 PM
    When there is a suggested/corrected word for what you typed, it appears in green on the spacebar so hitting space will change to the green word. However, directly above the green word will be what you typed in white. Rather than hitting space to insert the green word, swipe up on spacebar to leave what you originally typed.

Also, you can go into settings to adjust this feature if you want. Go to Settings > Language & input > BlackBerry keyboard settings > Prediction and correction, then select 'Auto correction' and adjust the slider for 'On-screen keyboard'.
    oh awesome! thank you!!
    02-05-16 12:14 AM
    The headphone jack on the bottom IMO is correct. When you put the phone on your pocket, the top goes in first. So headphones would stick out the top of your pocket. When you remove the phone, its a natural draw with the top of the screen being at the top of your hand - however the earphone cable is not running over the top but naturally out of the way on the bottom.
    02-05-16 06:07 PM
    thanks for all of the help guys! of course i have more questions every day.

1. when i type the keyboard seems to change with each app...for example, in some apps i get the floating word prediction and others i don't. also it seems in some instances i have the row of numbers at the top. lastly in some apps i get a plus for emoji and in others not. i realize it maybe just one app and i will try to play closer attention today. but this is happening between textra typeapp gmail and google on a tmobile priv using nova launcher.

2. slight GMAIL annoyance...on my HTC ONE to delete several emails i could long press one, then single tap others and hit the rubbish bin on top. with this phone i am only able to long press the one email. as soon as i tap another email it opens it.
    SILLY ME just figured this out. have to long press each email instead of single tapping after the first.

otherwise i am still digging the phone. battery seems fine, but i am not on it all day. part of the reason i am a blackberry (and then HTC) fan is the blinking light that allows me to live life without constantly checking my phone.
    lesarmitage likes this.
    02-06-16 10:48 AM
    hi. if anyone is still here i have more questions six days in now....

1. can i disable the shutter sound on the camera? this is a must.

2. can i disable the screenshot sound? more of an annoyance than a must.

3. can i move the green phone call indicator (see below)? as you can see it is almost perfectly in the wrong place when i am driving, talking and navigating (a frequent occurence)...
    DAY 1 with PRIV: questions, concerns, kudos?-screenshot_2016-02-08-07-03-05.jpg

4. i get email from the blackberry hub asking for permissions. why? do i need this? i am using nova because i needed it on my previous android, but i am not completely attached to it.
    DAY 1 with PRIV: questions, concerns, kudos?-screenshot_2016-02-08-06-25-29.jpg

4A/5. why do i get duplicate notifications in the top (see clock in attached photo)? are the blackberry and nova launcher working in tandem? against each other? do i need to delete or disable something built in to the priv to use nova? sorry this is where my limited knowledge of android things is most obvious...
    DAY 1 with PRIV: questions, concerns, kudos?-screenshot_2016-02-08-05-33-56.jpg

6?!?. bonus question: i use typeapp for my personal .me account. does anyone know why when i read an incoming message on my computer first the phone doesn't know?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    02-08-16 09:35 AM
    thanks for all of the help guys! of course i have more questions every day.

1. when i type the keyboard seems to change with each app...for example, in some apps i get the floating word prediction and others i don't. also it seems in some instances i have the row of numbers at the top. lastly in some apps i get a plus for emoji and in others not. i realize it maybe just one app and i will try to play closer attention today. but this is happening between textra typeapp gmail and google on a tmobile priv using nova launcher.

2. slight GMAIL annoyance...on my HTC ONE to delete several emails i could long press one, then single tap others and hit the rubbish bin on top. with this phone i am only able to long press the one email. as soon as i tap another email it opens it.
    SILLY ME just figured this out. have to long press each email instead of single tapping after the first.

otherwise i am still digging the phone. battery seems fine, but i am not on it all day. part of the reason i am a blackberry (and then HTC) fan is the blinking light that allows me to live life without constantly checking my phone.
    2. You can do this on the hub.

02-08-16 09:39 AM
    2. You can do this on the hub.

thank you! i think i disabled the hub because it was conflicting with something in nova. i can't recall now. maybe i can reinstate it, but not sure if i want or need the hub.
    02-08-16 09:42 AM
    hi. if anyone is still here i have more questions six days in now....

1. can i disable the shutter sound on the camera? this is a must.

2. can i disable the screenshot sound? more of an annoyance than a must.

3. can i move the green phone call indicator (see below)? as you can see it is almost perfectly in the wrong place when i am driving, talking and navigating (a frequent occurence)...

4. i get email from the blackberry hub asking for permissions. why? do i need this? i am using nova because i needed it on my previous android, but i am not completely attached to it.

4A/5. why do i get duplicate notifications in the top (see clock in attached photo)? are the blackberry and nova launcher working in tandem? against each other? do i need to delete or disable something built in to the priv to use nova? sorry this is where my limited knowledge of android things is most obvious..

6?!?. bonus question: i use typeapp for my personal .me account. does anyone know why when i read an incoming message on my computer first the phone doesn't know?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    2. Like I said in the other thread, use the volume rockers beforehand. No option in the camera App itself. Not optimal I know, but it is what it is. This was the same in BB10.

02-08-16 07:20 PM
35 12