I had an issue at a motel recently where I was in non-communicative limbo. I don't know if: 'Cellular Network State Disconnected' is what causes this issue. I was told that it:

"means exactly that - that your cellular network for data services is currently disconnected. It means either you're out of service entirely, or you're using wifi for your data services."

Two weeks ago I was on vacation and in a motel. The place had wifi and you had to initially log in with id and password. I gather the way it worked was you periodically had to just view an Info Screen (no more log-in, just view the screen in the browser). That's where the problem was - if I did not do that, the Priv would not use my cell data. So if I forgot this "check" nothing would happen including no notice.

The Priv would do nothing if I was browsing or trying to send email/bbm (it also would not retrieve email or bbm) or using the CB app on the phone. It did not automatically fall back to data when the wifi in this situation was sort-of closed. Again, the wifi was "connected" but until you merely viewed the resort's screen it was inactive. But I expected that my cell data, Verizon, would be available to carry out any network/online interaction. The fact that my phone was in limbo seems absurd.

Is there something that can be changed? (besides enhancing my memory to remember the wifi needed verification). And, and on Verizon, I have UNlimited data so that was not an issue in this instance.

Thanks in advance.
    06-08-16 12:55 PM
    I think this is the same on all phones, I see it on my iPhone and Priv all the time when I step into a place like Starbucks that has a captive WiFi Portal that the phone autoconnects to. The phone thinks it has a valid WiFi connection but is redirected to the captive portal. I'm not sure there is a really good way to fix this other than what you said, remember or set that particular network not to auto-connect. At least the Priv, at Starbucks, will pop up a notification to complete the connection to the network.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-08-16 01:18 PM
    I'm back. Same thing just happened on my trip to Europe. I wanted a SECURE data connection and not the hotel's open wifi. I had paid Verizon for data. It was a paltry amount of data but, again, I wanted SECURE DATA since I wanted to book a shuttle ride home and would have to provide credit card info, etc. I turned on DATA and turned off wifi. I even told the Priv to forget that wifi. I could not get the Priv to use my data. I forget the message but it was something like "No connection" and I was stuck. I finally abandoned the effort.

There must be something that I'm missing so that I can use cell data and not use wifi.
    07-11-16 09:49 AM
    This is an Android stupidity. It will leave your phone data connection up if the WiFi link demands a password or other authentication and it recognizes it, but if it just goes *dead* it won't, so you wind up with nothing since the WiFi link is black-holing packets.

BB10 periodically "tested" the link (which is where people went crazy over it "calling back") and would bring the phone data back up if the WiFi was not passing data. Android has never done this; it "trusts" the WiFi status but does not test that data actually flows to the Internet at-large (it could, by asking for a DNS resolve against 8.8.8.8, which is a public DNS resolver owned by Google.)
    FF22 and Nappinnai like this.
    07-11-16 08:43 PM
    I work on wifi a lot. In fact I just did an upgrade for a hotel recently. With my Passport, I don't have this issue as it won't conennct to the wifi without a true internet connection

Posted via CB10
    07-11-16 09:36 PM
    This is an Android stupidity. It will leave your phone data connection up if the WiFi link demands a password or other authentication and it recognizes it, but if it just goes *dead* it won't, so you wind up with nothing since the WiFi link is black-holing packets.

BB10 periodically "tested" the link (which is where people went crazy over it "calling back") and would bring the phone data back up if the WiFi was not passing data. Android has never done this; it "trusts" the WiFi status but does not test that data actually flows to the Internet at-large (it could, by asking for a DNS resolve against 8.8.8.8, which is a public DNS resolver owned by Google.)
    And folks find this acceptable? Sheer nonsense.

Is there a way to break the deadlock? Reboot? Even forgetting the wifi did not clear the block!
    07-11-16 09:46 PM
    I work on wifi a lot. In fact I just did an upgrade for a hotel recently. With my Passport, I don't have this issue as it won't conennct to the wifi without a true internet connection

Posted via CB10
    So what? I have to take my Z30 on trips just so I can have a secure connection? Or I have to walk out into the street and away from wifi, rain, shine, snow, sleet or criminal elements so that I can have a secure data connection rather than an open wifi connection!

Harrumph!
    07-11-16 09:48 PM
    Do you get cellular data connection outside hotel in other countries then?

So could it be that your PRIV has not the correct frequencies to get cellular data in that country? Have you tried forcing the PRIV to cellular 2G or 3G data only?

Cause my home experience is exactly the opposite: I have cable modem and an router as WiFi accesspoint after that and if the cable modem looses connection (= no more Internet) even if WiFi for is still ready set and connected, my PRIV automatically falls back to cellular connection.
    07-12-16 12:45 AM
    We always stay in a Hilton brand, (points and mostly free) whose wifi is notoriously bad. Stateside I've been able to turn off wifi and get cellular, whether I've signed in to hotel or not.

Only had the Priv out of the country once , New Zealand, I was able to turn off wifi there and get cellular. But, on all occasions I was signed in to hotel at the time.
    Factory unlocked, running Lollipop at the time.
    07-12-16 06:49 AM
    I'm back. Same thing just happened on my trip to Europe. I wanted a SECURE data connection and not the hotel's open wifi. I had paid Verizon for data. It was a paltry amount of data but, again, I wanted SECURE DATA since I wanted to book a shuttle ride home and would have to provide credit card info, etc. I turned on DATA and turned off wifi. I even told the Priv to forget that wifi. I could not get the Priv to use my data. I forget the message but it was something like "No connection" and I was stuck. I finally abandoned the effort.

There must be something that I'm missing so that I can use cell data and not use wifi.
    To me, it sounds as though the data access points were not set up correctly on your device? Did you use a different sim than what you would normally use at home? If you're WiFi is off, and cellular data on and there is no connection, the first thing I would be checking is the access point (Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names). Here you can also add extra access point names for different services whilst travelling - so you don't have to keep changing back and forth between your home and destinations.

Hope I haven't misread what you've said, and that this makes some sort of sense.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    07-12-16 08:01 AM
    I tried a few times. I even "forgot" the wifi and it was gone when I tried using the Priv - no connection until I re-initiated the wifi from scratch. I changed the Data type to each type shown as an option - no results.

This is the second time. As I mentioned, I had the same problem in early May in Sedona, Arizona. But, yes, this time it was in Europe, Lisbon.

Crazy.
    07-12-16 08:28 AM
    To me, it sounds as though the data access points were not set up correctly on your device? Did you use a different sim than what you would normally use at home? If you're WiFi is off, and cellular data on and there is no connection, the first thing I would be checking is the access point (Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names). Here you can also add extra access point names for different services whilst travelling - so you don't have to keep changing back and forth between your home and destinations.

Hope I haven't misread what you've said, and that this makes some sort of sense.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    I appreciate your thoughts.

I used the 'regular' Verizon sim that came in the Priv. So I did not change anything nor did I look at "access points" or such options. I don't think the Verizon instructions made any suggestions in that regard for the international use. Now in Sedona, AZ, good ol' USofA, I certainly did not look to change anything. And while there are definitely data dead zones in that area, this resort was not in one since as soon as we were in the car, out of the wifi influence, DATA worked fine.

But I will admit, I know very little about Access Points. I don't think we Verizon users usually deal with that.

And, of course, now home, I don't have to deal with it until the next vacation. Although, I guess I could play around with home wifi and visit a Starbucks or two (there are thousands here in Seattle!!!!)
    07-12-16 09:23 AM
    And folks find this acceptable? Sheer nonsense.

Is there a way to break the deadlock? Reboot? Even forgetting the wifi did not clear the block!
    All I've ever had to do is shut WiFi off and the data connection comes back up.

If it doesn't then in my experience it's the *carrier* that's the problem, and sometimes it is. They've been known to refuse data renegotiation requests when roaming.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-12-16 10:06 AM
    The normally WiFi is enabled when at my office. when I leave the office and am out of WiFi range the cellular data connection takes over automatically. when I get back to the office the WiFi data connection becomes active without intervention.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    07-13-16 09:03 PM
    The normally WiFi is enabled when at my office. when I leave the office and am out of WiFi range the cellular data connection takes over automatically. when I get back to the office the WiFi data connection becomes active without intervention.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    That is the way it works with my home wifi regularly. That is also how it has worked domestically, in the US when visiting hotels/motels/etc. But while I was in Europe I was careful to make sure I kept my roaming controlled and mostly kept data OFF.

The situation I encounter in Sedona, as I recall, was that you had to re-read their wifi-web page and you were back on their wifi. But if I forgot to do that when I returned to the resort and was trying to send an email or use BBM, I had NO CONNECTION. I never turned data off in that situation since I was within the US and within Verizon's service area. So, for a few minutes, until I realized I had no data, I could not send email (and did not get any). As soon as I remembered with wifi needs, I would open a webpage, get their home page (not have to do anything just kind of read it), then I could send and receive email use the CB app, etc. But that's what is irritating. The Priv did not keep the data connection I had just minutes before, out on the road or in the supermarket. As I say, I was in Limbo since I was in the "orbit" of wifi but was not really on it. But also no cell data.

And that is what I gather was what happened in Lisbon. There was wifi but I wanted to use secure data. I could not get it running. Even when I turned off the wifi, also, when I forced the Priv to "forget" that system. I could not engage my data.
    07-13-16 09:23 PM
    As soon as I remembered with wifi needs, I would open a webpage, get their home page (not have to do anything just kind of read it), then I could send and receive email use the CB app, etc. But that's what is irritating. The Priv did not keep the data connection I had just minutes before, out on the road or in the supermarket. As I say, I was in Limbo since I was in the "orbit" of wifi but was not really on it. But also no cell data.
    Bet that was hard to put into words! I've run into that, where you had to revisit the magic page, seems like there was also a time out involved. A quick trip down the road for 'supplies' did not kick one off wifi, several hours away would require looking at the magic page again.
    Last time it happened I had the Priv with me, but hadn't activated it yet, using the Z10 and trying to get a handle on Android before making the switch. Zero help there.

I'll be in Cincinnati in 3 weeks, and expect to have some 'down time', if the hotel wifi does that, and if I remember in 3 weeks, I'll try and play with it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that your Verizon / Lollipop with wifi calling might have something to do with it?
    07-14-16 06:02 AM
    Bet that was hard to put into words! I've run into that, where you had to revisit the magic page, seems like there was also a time out involved. A quick trip down the road for 'supplies' did not kick one off wifi, several hours away would require looking at the magic page again.
    Last time it happened I had the Priv with me, but hadn't activated it yet, using the Z10 and trying to get a handle on Android before making the switch. Zero help there.

I'll be in Cincinnati in 3 weeks, and expect to have some 'down time', if the hotel wifi does that, and if I remember in 3 weeks, I'll try and play with it.

I'm going to hazard a guess that your Verizon / Lollipop with wifi calling might have something to do with it?
    I don't believe I have wifi calling??? If I do, where do I find it? I've got this rather old Verizon calling plan that includes very little except UNlimited data and 300 minutes which more than suffices. I have no text allowance (I pay per message but use it very little (the Europe Plan actually included 100 outgoing texts for the month))

I would really like to figure this out since, as noted, I did want to "engage" a secure connection which hotel wifi's do not provide.
    07-14-16 07:49 AM
    I don't believe I have wifi calling???
    That was 100% guess. And you have wifi calling built into the phone, even if it's not on your plan.
    07-14-16 07:54 AM
    Do you get cellular data connection outside hotel in other countries then?

So could it be that your PRIV has not the correct frequencies to get cellular data in that country? Have you tried forcing the PRIV to cellular 2G or 3G data only?

Cause my home experience is exactly the opposite: I have cable modem and an router as WiFi accesspoint after that and if the cable modem looses connection (= no more Internet) even if WiFi for is still ready set and connected, my PRIV automatically falls back to cellular connection.
    I revisited this thread and realize I did not reply to you. (someone posted a question about losing data after having wifi which reminded me of this. I don't know yet if his was the same issue but asked for more info: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-data-1082794/

I had cell data connection outside of the hotel. In the first instance, I was in Sedona, Arizona and had fine Verizon service. As we drove away from the resort, I'd have emails arrive and could check out info in the browser. But when we returned to the resort, my cell data was dead. No emails arrived and I could not use the CB app on the phone. Then I would realize I had not accessed the resort's homescreen (no log in or password required, just view it and move on) and once I did that, the chiming of backed up emails would begin and the CB app worked.

I was irritated at this behavior in Sedona but really irritated when in Portugal (Madeira), when I wanted a secure data connection to book a shuttle ride home and knew I'd need to enter credit card info. I could not kill the wifi and regain cell data connection.
    08-13-16 10:02 AM
    I revisited this thread and realize I did not reply to you. (someone posted a question about losing data after having wifi which reminded me of this. I don't know yet if his was the same issue but asked for more info: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-data-1082794/

I had cell data connection outside of the hotel. In the first instance, I was in Sedona, Arizona and had fine Verizon service. As we drove away from the resort, I'd have emails arrive and could check out info in the browser. But when we returned to the resort, my cell data was dead. No emails arrived and I could not use the CB app on the phone. Then I would realize I had not accessed the resort's homescreen (no log in or password required, just view it and move on) and once I did that, the chiming of backed up emails would begin and the CB app worked.

I was irritated at this behavior in Sedona but really irritated when in Portugal (Madeira), when I wanted a secure data connection to book a shuttle ride home and knew I'd need to enter credit card info. I could not kill the wifi and regain cell data connection.
    Can you use a VPN and then use the Wi-fi for the connection so that the VPN will keep the connection secure?
    08-13-16 10:56 AM
    If you activate Developer Mode (instructions in forums) either turn on Aggressive hand over Wi-Fi to Cellular or Cellular always active. I would not use Cellular always active unless you have a great data package. Just a thought

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 likes this.
    08-13-16 11:28 AM
    If you activate Developer Mode (instructions in forums) either turn on Aggressive hand over Wi-Fi to Cellular or Cellular always active. I would not use Cellular always active unless you have a great data package. Just a thought

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    While I have a great data package (unlimited Verizon), it is only UNlimited in the US. So that would have possibly worked in the Sedona resort, it would not have been a good idea when I was in Europe. And, of course, until I return to one of those type resorts/wifi setups, I really can't test it.

As I said, at home and other wifi places, I've not run into that issue. But on the few occasions when it cropped up - very irritating and more so when I wanted a secure data connection that hotel wifi can't provide.
    08-13-16 12:23 PM
    Can you use a VPN and then use the Wi-fi for the connection so that the VPN will keep the connection secure?
    I have to admit that I know next to nothing about vpn and would not know if it were secure or not.
    08-13-16 12:24 PM
    I remembered to pay attention while in Cincinnati, Oddly enough, the hotel, (Hampton) had great wifi, even though it was in a 1928 bldg.
    Anyway, no issues with falling back to cellular data automatically. I had to be away from hotel wifi for several hours before it would want me to revisit their screen to get reconnected.
    In fact, I had to look while in room to know if I was on wifi or cellular.
    08-14-16 11:41 AM
    I remembered to pay attention while in Cincinnati, Oddly enough, the hotel, (Hampton) had great wifi, even though it was in a 1928 bldg.
    Anyway, no issues with falling back to cellular data automatically. I had to be away from hotel wifi for several hours before it would want me to revisit their screen to get reconnected.
    In fact, I had to look while in room to know if I was on wifi or cellular.
    This issue does not happen with all hotel/resort wifi systems. It certainly does not happen here at home but there's no further log-in's necessary. On the "Portugal" trip, we stayed at a variety of places and most just connected if I left and returned. So, I really don't know if the cellular kicked in or not.

But we were at the resort in Sedona for a week and it was a constant. On wifi in the morning, go out and hike and return and while away I would receive email or could browse for some info. On return - there would be no email arriving. Since I would use the CB app to post pictures from the Priv, I would open it - NO CONNECTION. I would also open firefox - NO connection. I could not send email. But I never changed my cell/data setup - it was always ON. Then I would remember to check the wifi. While it showed "connected" it was also "stalled." I would have to visit their webpage site and only view it (no additional id or password, only a visit). Wifi worked and I could browse, use CB app and email would flow. Next day, same issues until I re-read their webpage. My cellular data would not kick back in automatically. Actually, from what I saw in Portugal, it would just NOT kick in at all.

Then this happened again on my Portugal trip at two hotels (not all of them). Same issues, I guess (I generally kept data OFF since verizon's roaming rates were high). Wifi in the morning. Return, no connections until I re-visited their Info-pages. Again, no id or password, just visit. But the thing was that at one hotel I wanted to use a secure connection and not their wifi. Well, that's when I ran into the same experience as Sedona. I turned on cell data. It would not kick in and allow any internet connections. I even turned wifi OFF. I even removed the wifi pairing from the phone. The Priv showed connected to whatever the local roaming provider was. But I could not browse to the site to book a shuttle ride. Experimenting, I could not use CB app and I could not send email or browse. Again, checked, cell data was ON.

The real problem is that it is hard to test. I guess I could hit a few public wifi spots or Starbucks or other coffee shops and see if I can get it to happen again.
    08-14-16 01:06 PM
29 12