I am so excited for this phone to be honest. So far what I've learned is that it will sport a 16MP camera with OIS and have a Quad HD Screen that's all I know for specs so far however.......read this.

What About That Slider?

Louks said BlackBerry would release three more phones this year, other than the Leap: "another keyboard-based product" which may be a successor to the existing Classic, another Porsche Design high-end model, and a "dual curved display, all touch, with a keyboard," which could take the high-end position currently held by the BlackBerry Passport.
    The dual curved display is curved on both sides, and Louks hinted that there would be new UI features which would involve either looking at or swiping on the curved edges.

"You'll have to see when we do the announcement," Louks said.
    That phone will come out sometime later this year, BlackBerry CEO John Chen said.

Now that will be amazing...what do you guys think ?
    03-03-15 12:49 PM
    its the same concept as sammy edge. various uses like notifications, alarm, etc
    03-03-15 12:52 PM
    Features for the Edge screens have started to appear in the Galaxy line. And given that the displays are probably provided by Samsung, I don't doubt that BBRY can leverage it. Some people call it a gimmick, but there's some nifty things that can be done with it. A few examples can be found here... A look at the new ?Edge Screen? features on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge [VIDEO]. I'm sure the Hub can make use of it.
    03-03-15 12:53 PM
    Wonder if the Slider will get rid of the LED and use Edge notification like the S6 instead.
    03-03-15 01:07 PM
    BlackBerry has some awesome innovation happening and is really giving everyone a choice to what kind of phone they are into which is awesome
    03-03-15 01:47 PM
    Wonder if the Slider will get rid of the LED and use Edge notification like the S6 instead.
    People love the LEDs and you would hope that there would be no chance of them not continuing to include them.
    03-03-15 01:53 PM
    It has to close out by Q2 of Q3 Please!

Z10
    03-03-15 01:53 PM
    My only problem with edged and rounded screens are that it limits case options. I like to have a case that is a little higher then the phone so when I place the phone on a flat surface the glass doesn't touch it. If we need to access the edges of the phone it doesn't seem like that is possible

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 02:39 PM
    People love the LEDs and you would hope that there would be no chance of them not continuing to include them.
    But with the flip to sleep and such is the front facing LED as useful? Going to assume the Edge notification will be just as if not more configurable than LED.
    03-03-15 02:48 PM
    My only problem with edged and rounded screens are that it limits case options. I like to have a case that is a little higher then the phone so when I place the phone on a flat surface the glass doesn't touch it. If we need to access the edges of the phone it doesn't seem like that is possible

Posted via CB10
    If you have a case/skin on the device, the glass wouldn't touch on a flat surface regardless whether the sides were covered or not by the case. And too, the curved edges don't extend all the way to the back of the device. Only half way. So a case/skin would still protect from side impacts. And too... The curved nature is conducive to added structural integrity from kinetic impacts.

Penned via Tapatalk
    03-03-15 02:49 PM
    What are the case options with a slider? It's going to have to be adhered to the back so that the front can slide up.
    Theodoros Georgiou likes this.
    03-03-15 02:50 PM
    I like this!, "and a "dual curved display, all touch, with a keyboard," which could take the high-end position currently held by the BlackBerry Passport." Just in time for my birthday in October??
    03-03-15 02:54 PM
    But with the flip to sleep and such is the front facing LED as useful? Going to assume the Edge notification will be just as if not more configurable than LED.
    I would be very surprised if the majority of people used flip to sleep since they can set sensible times on their device for it to goto sleep without the need to put the display face down and risk scratches.

Edge notifications might turn out to be great, but there is no way that they would force people to use just them for the sake of losing the more battery efficient option of LEDs.
    03-03-15 03:11 PM
    What are the case options with a slider? It's going to have to be adhered to the back so that the front can slide up.
    Indeed, with this device the case options will be limited far more by virtue of it being a slider rather than due to the curve on the display.
    03-03-15 03:12 PM
    I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Most other slider devices have had cases/skins made for them no problem.

Penned via Tapatalk
    03-03-15 03:37 PM
    I love the notification LED, don't ever take it away.
    D3C0D3R, hbelkin and lylesilverman like this.
    03-03-15 03:44 PM
    I would be very surprised if the majority of people used flip to sleep since they can set sensible times on their device for it to goto sleep without the need to put the display face down and risk scratches.

Edge notifications might turn out to be great, but there is no way that they would force people to use just them for the sake of losing the more battery efficient option of LEDs.
    Even if you didn't need/want the Edge notification BB could just use the upper corner to simulate an LED in an AMOLED display since you can light up individual/group of pixels. I just don't see the need for an actual LED to be built into the device anymore.
    03-03-15 04:00 PM
    Even if you didn't need/want the Edge notification BB could just use the upper corner to simulate an LED in an AMOLED display since you can light up individual/group of pixels. I just don't see the need for an actual LED to be built into the device anymore.
    Perhaps LED consumes much less power/battery.
    03-03-15 04:06 PM
    If you have a case/skin on the device, the glass wouldn't touch on a flat surface regardless whether the sides were covered or not by the case. And too, the curved edges don't extend all the way to the back of the device. Only half way. So a case/skin would still protect from side impacts. And too... The curved nature is conducive to added structural integrity from kinetic impacts.

Penned via Tapatalk
    what i mean is that you wont be able to fully use the edges because they will be blocked by the case. i even have problems swiping, or moving apps from page to page, on my passport with the Amzer TPU sometimes. It isnt a deal breaker by any means... but it is something i look for
    03-03-15 04:37 PM
    Can't even get a decent case for Z30, for this slider, simple leather cases, maybe water proof and/or anti total destruct dropped it riding a motorcycle at 70 MPH type case.
    03-03-15 04:39 PM
    Playbook upper left corner red flash.
    03-03-15 04:42 PM
    I love the notification LED, don't ever take it away.
    Seriously. I imagine most BBRY loyalists feel the same.
    D3C0D3R likes this.
    03-03-15 04:48 PM

Penned via Tapatalk
    Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. The rounded edge is a weak point.

It may help with long-ways bending, but one single point whack right in that curved edge will crack that puppy like an egg on the edge of a skillet.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 06:35 PM
    Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. The rounded edge is a weak point.

It may help with long-ways bending, but one single point whack right in that curved edge will crack that puppy like an egg on the edge of a skillet.
    Quite the opposite actually. Arcs provide more structural integrity. It disperses kinetic energy instead of allowing it to channel to a more concentrated focal point. The same reason a hollow pipe is sturdier than a solid bar, why bridge supports are built upon arches instead of flat planes, and battlements are typically rounded when possible in favor of flat surfaces.
    03-03-15 06:54 PM
    Quite the opposite actually. Arcs provide more structural integrity. It disperses kinetic energy instead of allowing it to channel to a more concentrated focal point. The same reason a hollow pipe is sturdier than a solid bar, why bridge supports are built upon arches instead of flat planes, and battlements are typically rounded when possible in favor of flat surfaces.
    As an architect, I'm quite aware of the things you describe. It also depends on where the forces occur. Every structural element has a weak spot.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:16 PM
58 123