I talked with with my Buddy Thorsten as he sent me some CRUSH link from FORTUNE Magazine:

The BlackBerry Priv's price tag is absurd, here's why - Fortune

Why Blackberry? Why?
    jope28 likes this.
    10-23-15 12:46 PM
    Absurd..? I would say tragically misguided.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 12:49 PM
    Absurd..? I would say tragically misguided.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean? Please elaborate.
    10-23-15 12:53 PM
    What do you mean? Please elaborate.
    He's agreeing with you :|
    10-23-15 01:00 PM
    He's agreeing with you :|
    Thank you my friend.
    10-23-15 01:03 PM
    Such wit..do you do stand up?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-23-15 01:05 PM
    Such wit..do you do stand up?

Sorry, 1 post? Please come back when you hit 100 posts. I am a respected veteran. See title: CrackBerry Master. I can't respect undercarder and starters. Sorry.

On topic: I have read the artice, and I am slightly embarrased. Written by a nitwit or iFreak clearly. He misses that this is a premium Android phone with high security, 2 keyboards, etc.

Fortune Magazin has just lost its touch.
    10-23-15 01:09 PM
    The writer of the article (and others of the same ilk) write with a point of view of not using BB on an everyday basis. So they have no appreciation for the simplicity and security of the current BB10. Notice the article does not even mention the privacy selling points i.e., the differentiating factor of the phone with other Android devices.

As for the price, the big reason that phone prices are crashing is because they are all starting to come out of mainland China where as we know labor costs are way cheaper. The South Korean and Taiwanese manufacturers have higher costs but they have the expertise and maturity to build the phones at better quality. The chinese made phones are new. We have not yet heard about the long-term quality control problems that cost cutting measures in production will reveal. They'll start revealing themselves 6 months from now. They always do if history is a guide.

If you think flagship phones should be $500 or less, there's the Moto-X, 1 plus 2, etc. We'll see 6 - 12 months from now how those units perform. You get what you pay for.

And this is coming from somebody who chose to order the Nexus 6P.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-23-15 01:11 PM
    The writer of the article (and others of the same ilk) write with a point of view of not using BB on an everyday basis. So they have no appreciation for the simplicity and security of the current BB10. Notice the article does not even mention the privacy selling points i.e., the differentiating factor of the phone with other Android devices.

As for the price, the big reason that phone prices are crashing is because they are all starting to come out of mainland China where as we know labor costs are way cheaper. The South Korean and Taiwanese manufacturers have higher costs but they have the expertise and maturity to build the phones at better quality. The chinese made phones are new. We have not yet heard about the long-term quality control problems that cost cutting measures in production will reveal. They'll start revealing themselves 6 months from now. They always do if history is a guide.

If you think flagship phones should be $500 or less, there's the Moto-X, 1 plus 2, etc. We'll see 6 - 12 months from now how those units perform. You get what you pay for.

And this is coming from somebody who chose to order the Nexus 6P.
    Thanks for this good and critical answer. now things makes sense.

Let's hope, things work out right.
    andy957 likes this.
    10-23-15 01:27 PM
    Absurd, tragically misguided, wrong, stupid, arrogant, clueless... take your pick or take them all and then some. I have been very loyal to BlackBerry for years, owning several PlayBooks and just got my Passport SE a couple of months ago. I like their products but I am very disappointed at the pricing for the Priv. Very disappointed that John Chen allowed such pricing. The article provided by the original poster is correct and it appears that BlackBerry is not interested in saving its hardware phone business.

If it was, it would not come up with such a ludicrous price for the Priv, considering that BlackBerry is no longer a leader in this industry and is practically on its deathbed. BlackBerry needs to learn humility. It needs to learn that even if it still considers its phone business to be an upscale business, it is okay to eat some humble pie and engage in a strategy that may help it revive its phone business. Releasing an Android OS phone is in my opinion feasible but they immediately turn around and scuttle it by pricing it too high. BlackBerry needs to give folks a reason or reasons to come to or come back to BlackBerry. Nothing speaks louder than money... and in this case, less of it. If folks see a new BlackBerry phone running Android and priced at a level where they can save some money compared to the major and insanely popular phones out there, there is a better chance that they will get excited and give BlackBerry a chance. Get them in the door first and build on it. Increase the price if you have to when and if you release an improved new model. As it stands, there is hardly any incentive for anyone to jump ship and climb aboard BlackBerry's vessel.

Even though I just got my Passport, I considered also getting a Priv. No longer. Well, maybe if BlackBerry offers a special promotional price for current BlackBerry customers. I would not pay more than $549.00 for it.

Despite what I consider to be a humongous mistake on the Priv's price, I still wish BlackBerry well and I hope it succeeds with its hardware phone business. I would be delighted to be wrong.
    10-23-15 01:44 PM
    I find it very arrogant for them to charge for a "premium" device when the brand does not deserve premium pricing at this point in time. Should be a really couple of interesting months for this phone.

Posted via CB10
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    10-23-15 01:50 PM
    Absurd, tragically misguided, wrong, stupid, arrogant, clueless... take your pick or take them all and then some. I have been very loyal to BlackBerry for years, owning several PlayBooks and just got my Passport SE a couple of months ago. I like their products but I am very disappointed at the pricing for the Priv. Very disappointed that John Chen allowed such pricing. The article provided by the original poster is correct and it appears that BlackBerry is not interested in saving its hardware phone business.

If it was, it would not come up with such a ludicrous price for the Priv, considering that BlackBerry is no longer a leader in this industry and is practically on its deathbed. BlackBerry needs to learn humility. It needs to learn that even if it still considers its phone business to be an upscale business, it is okay to eat some humble pie and engage in a strategy that may help it revive its phone business. Releasing an Android OS phone is in my opinion feasible but they immediately turn around and scuttle it by pricing it too high. BlackBerry needs to give folks a reason or reasons to come to or come back to BlackBerry. Nothing speaks louder than money... and in this case, less of it. If folks see a new BlackBerry phone running Android and priced at a level where they can save some money compared to the major and insanely popular phones out there, there is a better chance that they will get excited and give BlackBerry a chance. Get them in the door first and build on it. Increase the price if you have to when and if you release an improved new model. As it stands, there is hardly any incentive for anyone to jump ship and climb aboard BlackBerry's vessel.

Even though I just got my Passport, I considered also getting a Priv. No longer. Well, maybe if BlackBerry offers a special promotional price for current BlackBerry customers. I would not pay more than $549.00 for it.

Despite what I consider to be a humongous mistake on the Priv's price, I still wish BlackBerry well and I hope it succeeds with its hardware phone business. I would be delighted to be wrong.
    You realize it's $100 more than the passport at launch right? And that it has phenomenally more advanced specs, and absolutely unique factors that, believe it or not, aren't gimmicks and are actually not available on any other device in the market?

The only absurd one here is the one who thinks a $100 launch price over a passport is asking for too much. You people haven't even touched the device yet!
    twbtr, HabsSuck, MO3iusONE and 1 others like this.
    10-23-15 01:50 PM
    Before the excuse was BlackBerry didn't have the app catalog to charge a premium...now it's because it's a BlackBerry. Seems to me people will find a reason to whine no matter what they do.
    On a side note can anyone show me a comparable device from any major OEM with these specs, touch keyboard and expandable storage??? Because last time I checked everyone else has done away with them.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 01:52 PM
    Before the excuse was BlackBerry didn't have the app catalog to charge a premium...now it's because it's a BlackBerry. Seems to me people will find a reason to whine no matter what they do.
    On a side note can anyone show me a comparable device from any major OEM with these specs, touch keyboard and expandable storage??? Because last time I checked everyone else has done away with them.

Posted via CB10
    I think the issue that some have with the pricing is that it's basically a "first-gen" BlackBerry-Android and the fear that BlackBerry is doing this for the first time.
    And, newcomers into a new user base (Android users for BlackBerry) don't usually come in on the high end.

I agree with you that the hardware seems awesome if enough customers do indeed value the physical keyboard.

Attachment 377180

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-23-15 02:10 PM
    I talked with with my Buddy Thorsten as he sent me some CRUSH link from FORTUNE Magazine:

The BlackBerry Priv's price tag is absurd, here's why - Fortune

Why Blackberry? Why?
    Excuse me, stupid article, it's a still a cheap phone

10-23-15 02:12 PM
    Well I hope their readers didn't buy the BBRY "puts" based on that investigative reporting lol
    10-23-15 02:22 PM
    $700 is too much. Don't think I can justify it until it's $600 at most. And if it takes a while to get there I'll just go with another company because the specs won't be worth $600 anymore. I'm disappointed. It's too much. Gladly would have taken a 340ppi or so display for a $50 discount. Uselessly high pixel counts are useless. Takes the gpu and guzzles power. Just what we need.

Specs have to be finely balanced, and it seems with BlackBerry it's just an on off switch. That's when they can be quick enough to actually get the latest specs in their phone in a reasonable time frame.

I could understand the price if they had nothing to lose. I hope I'm wrong but I can't imagine people will buy many of these, BlackBerry isn't Samsung or Apple. No one else has done super well there.

HTC sells enough phones to make BlackBerry profitable in hardware (read 5mil units) but they sell $400 and now $700 phones and they have way better recognition in Android. I can't see this ending well unless there is pent up demand or curiosity from old BlackBerry lovers.

EDIT: Nonetheless that article is garbage.
    Tl;dr: (of my post) seems like BlackBerry missed the market on the priv pricing wise considering their position.
    Posted via CB10
    10-23-15 02:24 PM
    You realize it's $100 more than the passport at launch right? And that it has phenomenally more advanced specs, and absolutely unique factors that, believe it or not, aren't gimmicks and are actually not available on any other device in the market?

The only absurd one here is the one who thinks a $100 launch price over a passport is asking for too much. You people haven't even touched the device yet!
    You are absolutely right! The phone has stupendous specs and it is a great phone. I am sure many BlackBerry fans (and I count myself as one, but I still try to be objective) would pay the $699.00 and some would pay more too if the launch price was such.You apparently missed my point. I am not saying the Priv is not worth the asking price. Just saying that in light of the challenging circumstances BlackBerry is in, it would have been more prudent for it to price the Priv lower to achieve some market penetration in this highly competitive market dominated by the fruity phone, Samsung and more recently, some decent phones from Chinese companies, even if those Chinese ones are targeted at the lower end market.

Don't forget that John Chen may have hurt the Priv's image by saying that its security was essentially equivalent or comparable to Samsung's Knox security platform. His amateurish demonstration of the product did not help either. While I said I would like to be offered a current customer promotional price of $549.00, I would be happy to pay $599.00 for a promotional launch price for all buyers.

No one needs to sell me on how great BlackBerry phones are. I already know. The problem is, almost the entire smartphone market does not. Therefore, I stand by my post above. It is just my opinion. Let's not get our panties in a bunch.
    10-23-15 02:36 PM
    I do not think the article is garbage the spirit of the article is that this is an Android phone no matter the Label in the back.
    The OS is free

It is not BB10 device so we are not getting what we have on our BlackBerry Passports. The HUB and other BlackBerry elements are like a Virtual Machine app

You will be pay +$750 after taxes to get a non BB 10 unit with no real difference in camera for example

If my BB SE would drop and break today I would not buy a Priv as the cost is too high.

I do like the look of the Priv,etc but not enough to change or even to go deal with Android
    10-23-15 02:57 PM
    If you think flagship phones should be $500 or less, there's the Moto-X, 1 plus 2, etc. We'll see 6 - 12 months from now how those units perform. You get what you pay for..
    My friend bought a OnePlus One. Within 5 months he got rid of it because he was sick of the RMAs and got a Sony Xperia Z3 instead. He said it was the second worst phone he had ever behind and old Siemens.
    10-23-15 02:59 PM
    https://medium.com/@Chaitanya_90/dea...614#.mmpypm7sr

I am a writer and a marketer and this is my analysis so as to why it would fail. Based on sound logical analogy and comparisons with Apple, Samsung & One Plus.
    jope28 likes this.
    10-23-15 03:44 PM
    https://medium.com/@Chaitanya_90/dea...614#.mmpypm7sr

I am a writer and a marketer and this is my analysis so as to why it would fail. Based on sound logical analogy and comparisons with Apple, Samsung & One Plus.
    I see your point about pricing (except you used the leaked price) against top tier, but have you actually used a OnePlus, or just pulling spec to spec?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10-23-15 at 10:12 PM.
    10-23-15 10:01 PM
    its not about usage in price game. its about perception. Apple iPhones are not necessarily better than Samsung S6's but its the perception. And in marketing thats the only thing that matters. One Plus would have closed shop by now otherwise.
    10-23-15 11:08 PM

Don't forget that John Chen may have hurt the Priv's image by saying that its security was essentially equivalent or comparable to Samsung's Knox security platform. His amateurish demonstration of the product did not help either. While I said I would like to be offered a current customer promotional price of $549.00, I would be happy to pay $599.00 for a promotional launch price for all buyers.

No one needs to sell me on how great BlackBerry phones are. I already know. The problem is, almost the entire smartphone market does not. Therefore, I stand by my post above. It is just my opinion. Let's not get our panties in a bunch.
    Agreed, 100%.
    10-23-15 11:15 PM
    Have been watching this cycle over and over with everything BB,,, users clamour for that elusive flagship phone.. they bemoan that none is on the horizon... at that time price was not an issue. they just wanted BB to invest time money to produce the "company saving" device... so guess what??? BB grants you wish... produces a flagship phone... ( facing camera withstanding )... and guess what??? more complaining... as usual with the price.... seen this with almost every BB launch... the difference being this is actually worth the money.... you get something in the area of a flagship Sammy with baked in security along with the BB10 goodies... and full google access... expandable memory... physical keyboard.... but guess what... "It's too epensive" ... remember the old adage... "be careful what you wish for' ... high end device equals high end price... guess all to "thrifty" types would rather BB just take a loss for you can have a deal.... REALLY???..

sad part of all of this.. I believe this is BB death knell.. usual BB MO.... make a decent to excellent device... annoy your use base with no launch... high price and no advertising... generate bad PR to overcome the actual goodwill you have generated before..... yup business as usual... if I wanted to kill the device business... this is exactly how I would do it... so yes... complain all you want... diminish the products value... and you will soon only have Apple or Google vendors to deal with.... good luck with that....
    10-23-15 11:22 PM
41 12