Hi everyone, sorry to start another creak thread. iPhone user switched to android around christmas. Initially targeted the 6p as the phone for me but the priv lured me in. While the 6p is probably a better device objectively, I prefer the priv. I love the keyboard option and hub is awesome. I actually prefer the software experience to the pure Android on the 6p.

In any event, my priv is a week old from ATT. Never noticed any creak until I hopped on these forums. Last night, I noticed a soft spot on the left edge of the device. There is a "click" if I press there. It's about halfway down the edge. I have not noticed any creaking from the screen which seems to be solid. My question is whether I should expect this to get worse over time. I don't think I could live with a 740 device making creaking and clicking sounds. My return policy expires in a week. If the slight left side click is all I'm going to get, I can probably live with it because I typically don't handle the phone there. But much more and I think I would be disappointed. I did purchase ATT insurance although I'm not sure whether ATT would accept an exchange for something like a creek/click outside of return.

Thoughts are appreciated.
    01-22-16 07:41 AM
    In most all experiences, the clicking is an inevitable consequence with this phone. Some users report it comes and goes, others report not having it for months, and then it suddenly starts happening, others had it right out of the box. Personally, my first Priv didn't have it at first at all, but it eventually started to happen. I got a replacement that seemed okay at first, but once I got home with it, it also started to click, and I couldn't get another replacement cuz the in store agents for my carrier are a bunch of pricks, and they wouldn't make the exchange again.

My game plan is to wait things out for BB to actually fix the problems, and then see about doing a direct warranty replacement, because I absolutely want this phone, but cannot stand it being a plastic toy.
    eallan and Esi_T like this.
    01-22-16 08:01 AM
    I think if that is the only issue with your device and you can live with it, and you didn't even notice until you started browsing on here, then just suck it up.

Sure, we shouldn't have to do that with a device of this value (mine has a dodgy space bar and the slide isn't as smooth as it should be), but it could definitely be worse going by some things I've read and even going on the previous 2 Priv's I had before I returned them.

I don't imagine that it will get worse, (I don't see how) but you're insured for that so I wouldn't be worried personally.

Just enjoy the device and be comforted in the knowledge you have that insurance if problems do arise further down the line!
    01-22-16 08:20 AM
    I personally think you shouldn't be concerned about it, especially with your line about not even noticing until you hopped on these forums (dam.n these forums!), but I'm not going to lie to you; the Priv is a creaky phone, generally. Even if you had no creaking right now, there is a very high chance of it getting antsy and starting to sing to you eventually. Privs love to talk to us as much as we talk into them.
    It's not as big of a deal to some, and of course the creakiness is less on some devices, but if you are already stating how upset you'll be...then I'd say go get that Nexus 6P, friend. Besides, with Android you can make it look and feel however you like.
    01-22-16 08:30 AM
    Creaks are in its DNA, just depends on the severity. This (my second) is OK creak-wise but has other issues.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-22-16 08:35 AM
    Nothing out of the ordinary here, I would say your phone is pretty typical. Also this goes to show that threads like these are like a contagious disease.
    "Never noticed any creak until I hopped on these forums."
    You went looking for the problem because of something you read. Please don't go and return your phone 10 times with hopes of getting one that doesn't creak.
    01-22-16 08:37 AM
    Just curious why so many avoid getting the hard case for this phone? The hard case protects the phone and at the same time eliminates the creaks.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    01-22-16 08:46 AM
    Just curious why so many avoid getting the hard case for this phone? The hard case protects the phone and at the same time eliminates the creaks.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    The slider hard shell? Does this not damage the sides of the phone?

01-22-16 08:51 AM
    Thanks for the thoughts. I do plan on getting the incipio case which will probably eliminate the left side issue. Just waiting for it to get back in stock. Something about this phone draws me to it so I think I will try to stick it out through the creaks. Probably the uniqueness of it all. The 6p is a beast. Smooth, better screen, big battery but boring.
    01-22-16 10:15 AM
    My Priv had a minor creak but once I started using a case it quit. I have both the Incipio case and the one from Tetded which is the Caen model. They don't add too much bulk or weight to the phone. I would imagine that the new cases from Seidio would work as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-16 12:05 PM
    The slider hard shell by BlackBerry is a good case. I've been using it since launch.

I did remove the circular 'rivets' that were causing minor cosmetic damage to the coating above and below the buttons on both sides of some peoples devices.

I wouldn't even call it 'damage' because it's so minor, but it is best to cut those little circles off anyway, just to prevent it for the sake of it.

01-23-16 03:34 AM
    Pretty sure BlackBerry could fix that case in a future version. Sure it is an easy fix for users, but even easier for BlackBerry to do it.

01-23-16 03:36 AM
    Hi everyone, sorry to start another creak thread. iPhone user switched to android around christmas. Initially targeted the 6p as the phone for me but the priv lured me in. While the 6p is probably a better device objectively, I prefer the priv. I love the keyboard option and hub is awesome. I actually prefer the software experience to the pure Android on the 6p.

In any event, my priv is a week old from ATT. Never noticed any creak until I hopped on these forums. Last night, I noticed a soft spot on the left edge of the device. There is a "click" if I press there. It's about halfway down the edge. I have not noticed any creaking from the screen which seems to be solid. My question is whether I should expect this to get worse over time. I don't think I could live with a 740 device making creaking and clicking sounds. My return policy expires in a week. If the slight left side click is all I'm going to get, I can probably live with it because I typically don't handle the phone there. But much more and I think I would be disappointed. I did purchase ATT insurance although I'm not sure whether ATT would accept an exchange for something like a creek/click outside of return.

Thoughts are appreciated.
    I'd return it if it bothers you and you're able.

It's the best way for BlackBerry to get the message.
    I've been through a few privs all have had issues.
    01-23-16 12:53 PM
    I have some creak in the side as well. Only notice it when I pick up or put down the phone (not while im holding). For me its not a problem at all. The screen click is another story. My screen clicks everytime i touch the screen (lower left corner). Since, i usually use the physical keyboard to type it didn't bother me much. One day i decided to give the virtual keyboard a try to see if I'm faster on it and was shocked how bad the screen feels when I type on it. The same is true when playing games that require fast presses.

My suggestion is, if your screen is solid keep your priv. There is a good chance that you get a clicky screen if you replace your phone and in my opinion the creaky side is NOTHING compared to a loose screen.
    01-23-16 04:35 PM