BB is not selling the Priv over a period of 2 days only, this device will be available for a while and sales will pick up. no one said the goal was 5 million units on the weekend of the launch, but over a year.
    Actually, you have a small window (generally 1-2 quarters) after introduction of a new cell phone model before fairly precipitous sales decreases (often over a 50% drop) so it's important to get off to a very strong start which is why companies generally have an enormous build-up to release day. You can't have a slow roll into your introduction and hope sales pick-up from there.

It just hasn't happened historically in the cellphone marketplace because your competitor is introducing "new and better" models very early in your sales stream which makes your product look old very quickly. And I doubt a company with a damaged reputation like Blackberry would be the first to buck the sales trends here.

That said, we'll know how it's going in just 90 days or so when we should have some very good data. I'm rooting for Blackberry but really think they bungled the introduction and release of the Priv which will hurt sales dramatically. I hope I'm wrong.
    JeepBB, cgk, cbzeduser and 1 others like this.
    11-03-15 11:06 PM
    It wouldnt be half as bad if there wasnt so many Negative Nellies on these forums...
    Whoa there. Watch the language.. You might get an infraction. Or whatever they call it around here.
    11-03-15 11:14 PM
    It wouldnt be half as bad if there wasnt so many Negative Nellies on these forums...
    Interesting how they're getting harder and harder to find once you get away from this particular forum.
    Xaiux and Toodeurep like this.
    11-03-15 11:25 PM
    I think everyone is more worried about the reviews and articles for the non crackberry consumer. Most of us on here are already pretty much know if we are going to grab the priv or not by now. I know I want the priv to be a hit and the only way it will be is with some relentless advertising and good reviews
    I'd rather be more worried about reviews by crackberry users. People who come from Android will find the Priv as one of the best Android experiences they have ever had over HTC, Samsung, and on and on. People from BB10 will find the Priv very messy, as Android is a mess in itself.
    11-03-15 11:39 PM
    I'd rather be more worried about reviews by crackberry users. People who come from Android will find the Priv as one of the best Android experiences they have ever had over HTC, Samsung, and on and on. People from BB10 will find the Priv very messy, as Android is a mess in itself.
    You're prolly right but I wouldn't call android a mess. But if you are right and android users find the priv the best experience than blackberry will be very lucky and succeed in their mission to stay alive.

At this point it's best to satisfy the android users and not the crackberry addict as that has got the company no where
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    11-04-15 03:56 AM
    Friday! Going to be an unproductive day at work!

The Z30 is unbelievable!
    LOL, agree

 Passport via CB10 || previous device : Q10, Z3, Z10, Storm 9530, 8520, 8530, 9000, 8320
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    11-04-15 04:12 AM
    Actually, you have a small window (generally 1-2 quarters) after introduction of a new cell phone model before fairly precipitous sales decreases (often over a 50% drop) so it's important to get off to a very strong start which is why companies generally have an enormous build-up to release day. You can't have a slow roll into your introduction and hope sales pick-up from there.
    Yes - also if your phone starts slow, your carriers quickly back off in terms of their marketing efforts as well which compounds your problem. As mentioned many times before, Smartphones start strong or not at all.

We are less than six months (four?) before we start to see 820 devices appear on the market.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    11-04-15 04:15 AM
    This is the part where CrackBerrians let their anticipation build up to high expectations. Eventually, what we will find is a first attempt at a stock Android phone with a unique slider hardware keyboard, some relatively half-baked Blackberry customizations, unproven privacy and security features, and a premium price. There's probably too much riding on this phone given that it is a first generation handset on this platform. It doesn't really have with the Classic-using BlackBerry customer looks for in a smart phone and it doesn't really offer much for an experienced Android user among all of the other flagship devices.
    cgk, Asvertus, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    11-04-15 05:29 AM
    This is the part where CrackBerrians let their anticipation build up to high expectations. Eventually, what we will find is a first attempt at a stock Android phone with a unique slider hardware keyboard, some relatively half-baked Blackberry customizations, unproven privacy and security features, and a premium price. There's probably too much riding on this phone given that it is a first generation handset on this platform.
    The Kantar figures this morning convince me more than ever that it all comes down to a) keyboard and if that is actually a differentiator and b) marketing and carrier incentives.

Why do these figures convince me - Huawei has gone to second biggest android vendor in europe - and their android implementation is absolutely shocking. Even if you say "price" well they had competitors at each price point and still beat them. Thus the OS nor OEM tweaks provide any advantage at all, consumer just don't give a **** - everything else on the Priv is available elsewhere so it's A and B for the win.
    11-04-15 05:33 AM
    The Kantar figures this morning convince me more than ever that it all comes down to a) keyboard and if that is actually a differentiator and b) marketing and carrier incentives.
    This resembles a commodity market more than anything else. I assume you're discounting privacy and security as a differentiator.

Regarding the keyboard, this is a big handset. It is long in the same way that the Passport is wide. Most BlackBerry keyboard users by definition have not moved to the bigger phones.
    11-04-15 06:16 AM
    I assume you're discounting privacy and security as a differentiator.
    Yes - BBRY are continuing down this path because that really is their own organisational 'difference' and also being culturally they all believe it's important. However BB10 sales suggest that beyond a small enterprise niche, nobody cares. In the android marketplace, I certainly have never seen any sales evidence nor anyone even suggest any sales evidence that either provide a sales booster or are a key factor in the decision-making processes of consumers.
    JeepBB and ankitchahal like this.
    11-04-15 06:21 AM
    Security is in BlackBerry's
    DNA but their latest child is adopted
    cgk, andy957, Deanig_12 and 3 others like this.
    11-04-15 06:30 AM
    ..as Android is a mess in itself.
    Please provide one specific example of what is a mess about Android.
    MO3iusONE and Xaiux like this.
    11-04-15 07:17 AM
    https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...7359297d5f.jpg

I remember this like it was yesterday waiting for the torch release date. Still one of my all time favs
    I agree except the keyboard was a little too cramped for me. I liked my Palm Pre 2 as well but it had the same small keyboard form factor.
    miketko likes this.
    11-04-15 07:21 AM
    Simple,

The Priv is a demo device to show off "The BlackBerry Experience Suite" to which no one will buy. It's a gateway and trial for software targeted to the Android platform. They can show off the software, drop the hardware and try to target all Android phones. It will fail. No one is going to pay so much per month/year for BlackBerry software for the Android platform. Management doesn't have a clue.
    I don't want what you're saying to be true. But it is the same pattern they use on BBM. Charge a fee to not have ads. Charge a fee for stickers. Charge a fee for a personalized pin. Charge a fee to retract messages.

They could have given it away free and gotten people to think of BBM like they do WhatsApp. Coulda made BBM the standard in messaging.

Now we have the Priv. And if what you're saying is true.. that it's just to get people to buy software on other Android phones it's going to fail as miserably as BBM.

What should they be doing? Like with BBM give the experience suite away for free. Pretty soon people would start buying BlackBerry phones. If they love making their phone into a BlackBerry with the suite and with BBM why not get the real deal?

But hey. As long as someone buys some stickers and a BlackBerry App from the play store Chen will be happy.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    anon4226395 likes this.
    11-04-15 07:31 AM
    Security is in BlackBerry's
    DNA but their latest child is adopted
    Just to add to the discussion you and I were having - something I posted in another thread:

In the September quarter, Samsung and Apple models represented 66% of all smartphones sold in the US. The fact that these two brands own 9 of the top 10 most-sold smartphones makes it clear why they are able to dominate sales so convincingly.

Apple was the top brand choice for gift-giving, representing 39% of all smartphones purchased as gifts during the quarter, followed by Samsung at 29%.

Twenty-eight percent of smartphones sold went to consumers who had never before owned a smartphone, down from 36% in the same period last year. Android had 27% of these first-time buyers and Apple iOS had 23%.

Forty-nine percent of consumers are planning to upgrade their smartphone in the next 12 months. Among them, 43% prefer Apple while 34% prefer Samsung when it comes to the brand that they are considering as their next purchase. Among current iOS owners, 90% said they prefer Apple for their next smartphone while 5% said Samsung. Quite strikingly, among current Android owners, 58% prefer Samsung and 10% prefer Apple. Other brands in the Android ecosystem that are preferred by upgraders are Motorola (9%), HTC (7%) and LG (6%). Finally, among current Samsung owners, 84% prefer Samsung and 10% prefer Apple. Considering how strongly consumers who are planning to upgrade over the next year feel about Apple and Samsung, two things are clear: consumers see Apple and Samsung in a league of their own and that the current market duopoly is far from over.
    So in the US, 99% of share is between 5 OEMs and BBRY is operating at the high end within the sub-set who want a keyboard - which is still the unaccountable X-factor...
    11-04-15 07:46 AM
    So in the US, 99% of share is between 5 OEMs and BBRY is operating at the high end within the sub-set who want a keyboard - which is still the unaccountable X-factor...
    It sound like all you need to predict the success of the Priv is to do a side-by-side comparison between the Priv and the relevant Samsung handsets factoring in the current availability of the Priv on the major carriers.
    11-04-15 07:57 AM
    It sound like all you need to predict the success of the Priv is to do a side-by-side comparison between the Priv and the relevant Samsung handsets factoring in the current availability of the Priv on the major carriers.
    Its hard to do because Samsung don't break out those sorts of figures - we do know that they have suffered a decline at the high-end and have combated that with more low-end phones (Samsung Galaxy J).

The only thing along those lines we can measure from the outside is the search traffic - priv is about at the same level as Passport but many multiples lower than Samsung s6 for example.

Another view:

[Android’s new premium price point is between $300-$400 and the new mainstream Android smartphone price point is under $300. No other Android OEM, Samsung included, will sell in volume anything above those prices.
    https://techpinions.com/android-and-...-dilemma/42215
    Last edited by cgk; 11-04-15 at 08:12 AM.
    11-04-15 08:01 AM
    Simple,

The Priv is a demo device to show off "The BlackBerry Experience Suite" to which no one will buy. It's a gateway and trial for software targeted to the Android platform. They can show off the software, drop the hardware and try to target all Android phones. It will fail. No one is going to pay so much per month/year for BlackBerry software for the Android platform. Management doesn't have a clue.
    Do you think you could run the company better? Why are you a expert or do you just like to Troll on here with negative posts.? It seems that way.

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-04-15 08:02 AM
    Please provide one specific example of what is a mess about Android.
    Android is a mess of it you let it become a mess.

If you just have random widgets everywhere and random apps all over your home screen them yeah it's going to look sloppy. People need to educate themselves on how android world, the do's and don't etc.
    Xaiux likes this.
    11-04-15 08:09 AM
    It almost seems as if BlackBerry is building up the anticipation before the phone is released to the public. If I had to take a guess I would say they are going to have the reviews come out on the same as the Priv reaching the shelves. That is, to have the media frenzy coincide with early adopters.

All of the articles about the Priv emphasize that BlackBerry could get out of the hardware business if it isn't an immediate success. Talk about buzz-kill. Who wants to buy the new BlackBerry if they are going to get out of the hardware business in 2016? This is some bad PR right now.
    Not all, but a good number are still quoting Chen here. The majority of what I have read out there thusfar have been positive.

Just doesn't seem to me like Blackberry's heart is in selling the Priv (or staying in hardware for that matter). Otherwise, any manufacturer looking to get off to a strong start would have had a Launch Event and then had test units in the hands of journalists AHEAD of launch weekend so positive articles could be written about the phone ahead of its sale and it could get off to an energetic start (like the iPhone's 13 million first weekend sales).

I agree with the OP - Blackberry's nonchalant attitude about this is very concerning to a potential buyer like me and is giving me plenty of second thoughts.
    BlackBerry said they were forgoing a launch event for the Priv in favor spending that money on [Holiday] advertisements.

Do they really need a launch event, though? The Priv has to be one of the top, if not the top, anticipated Android handsets of all time. I don't even recall the first Nexus getting this much hype and that phone was supposed to revolutionize the handset business in the U.S. [here is a clue, it didn't].

Pretty much all major outlets, including in the U.S. have been carrying articles on the Priv for a solid month now.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    11-04-15 08:12 AM
    The Priv has to be one of the top, if not the top, anticipated Android handsets of all time. I don't even recall the first Nexus getting this much hype and that phone was supposed to revolutionize the handset business in the U.S. [here is a clue, it didn't].

Pretty much all major outlets, including in the U.S. have been carrying articles on the Priv for a solid month now.
    Nope:

(the two searches that trail off are Blackberry Priv and Samsung S6)

This is crazy - when will we see the real reviews?-capture.png

It isn't even currently having as much buzz as Passport at its peak:

This is crazy - when will we see the real reviews?-capture.png
    11-04-15 08:17 AM

It just hasn't happened historically in the cellphone marketplace because your competitor is introducing "new and better" models very early in your sales stream which makes your product look old very quickly. And I doubt a company with a damaged reputation like Blackberry would be the first to buck the sales trends here.

That said, we'll know how it's going in just 90 days or so when we should have some very good data. I'm rooting for Blackberry but really think they bungled the introduction and release of the Priv which will hurt sales dramatically. I hope I'm wrong.
    I agree with the small window for sales, and yes sales will slow down afterwards; however the build up hasn't been too bad for the Priv (although it could be better of course). i think the ad campaign will pick up steam next week after the release, because the phone will be available to be viewed by customers, and on top of that, the holiday shopping season is about to start. i was a bit worried when someone said the phone will be available in early 2016, but now i think it will make quite a splash over the next two months.
    BB might release a variant of the Priv, a mid cycle variant to push for more sales, in addition to price drops after a couple of months that will help with more sales.
    I doubt that BB will release the Priv and then simply sit and watch, but i could be wrong.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    11-04-15 08:27 AM
    The worth will be after this first review. Wait to touch this Priv because it is not available in your country NOW, and read all the mouthwatering review/comments...
    11-04-15 08:58 AM
    J Caloy!!!! Where's you at??? Do something... will you hate BlackBerry Priv, too?

Posted from my sexy Z10
    The guy will not be getting the Priv. He explicitly said that in his BBM channel. Pity.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:59 AM
90 1234