I've followed all the recent BB launches closely and have never seen a situation like this where there are no real, detailed reviews by journos and tech bloggers before launch.

I've seen lots of people post that the reviewers have their units but have signed NDAs, which makes sense.

Does anyone know when this will be over? Will we see a flood of reviews by all the big guys (CB very much included) on Nov 6? And if so, then I guess this is a new strategy of muzzling people until launch, which I have mixed feelings about. Maybe because the software is undergoing a flurry of last-minute revisions?

Or maybe my memory is flawed and this is normal. But this time around there just seems to be way less info out there than normal at this stage.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-03-15 06:07 PM
    Friday! Going to be an unproductive day at work!

The Z30 is unbelievable!
    11-03-15 06:10 PM
    This is normal for every phone, question is when the embargo lifts, who knows but we will all know quickly with the flood of articles posting.
    11-03-15 06:12 PM
    All of the articles about the Priv emphasize that BlackBerry could get out of the hardware business if it isn't an immediate success. Talk about buzz-kill. Who wants to buy the new BlackBerry if they are going to get out of the hardware business in 2016? This is some bad PR right now.
    11-03-15 06:33 PM
    All of the articles about the Priv emphasize that BlackBerry could get out of the hardware business if it isn't an immediate success. Talk about buzz-kill. Who wants to buy the new BlackBerry if they are going to get out of the hardware business in 2016? This is some bad PR right now.
    They will support the device and BlackBerry Experience . And Android will continue on its path of upgrades I'm not worried at all.
    What's the issue then?

BlackBerry Priv!!
    bigjman likes this.
    11-03-15 06:41 PM
    I'm not holding my breathe for good reviews. I'll be getting the device regardless. I'm pretty sure most reviews will be flooded with hate
    11-03-15 06:42 PM
    Just doesn't seem to me like Blackberry's heart is in selling the Priv (or staying in hardware for that matter). Otherwise, any manufacturer looking to get off to a strong start would have had a Launch Event and then had test units in the hands of journalists AHEAD of launch weekend so positive articles could be written about the phone ahead of its sale and it could get off to an energetic start (like the iPhone's 13 million first weekend sales).

I agree with the OP - Blackberry's nonchalant attitude about this is very concerning to a potential buyer like me and is giving me plenty of second thoughts.
    andy957, Omar Alsahli and Doggerz like this.
    11-03-15 08:40 PM
    Just doesn't seem to me like Blackberry's heart is in selling the Priv (or staying in hardware for that matter). Otherwise, any manufacturer looking to get off to a strong start would have had a Launch Event and then had test units in the hands of journalists AHEAD of launch weekend so positive articles could be written about the phone ahead of its sale and it could get off to an energetic start (like the iPhone's 13 million first weekend sales).

I agree with the OP - Blackberry's nonchalant attitude about this is very concerning to a potential buyer like me and is giving me plenty of second thoughts.
    What makes you think there aren't review units in the hands of 'journalists' right now? BlackBerry said the 'embargo ' will be lifted Nov 6. Relax

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    11-03-15 08:48 PM
    100% right.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and Seff5677 like this.
    11-03-15 08:56 PM

If you actually have not made a decision yet that's fine but at least wait till all the reviews come out next week before complaining. The launch marketing campaign has not even started yet.
    So many impatient people on this forum. If you can't wait till November 6th then go buy the phone that you want. And stop whining about pre launch marketing and price.
    I'm all in. No risk. No reward. Actually there is no risk. Incredible Priv Device !

BlackBerry Priv!!
    11-03-15 09:10 PM
    They will support the device and BlackBerry Experience . And Android will continue on its path of upgrades I'm not worried at all.
    What's the issue then?

BlackBerry Priv!!
    This!!^^^

Canadian  вιaсĸвεггч� ᕵαssρσяτ SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-03-15 09:21 PM
    Pre-release reviews haven't been kind, fair, or remotely balanced in favor of BlackBerry since 2008. Each release is the same. Engadget, et. al. provide prospective buyers with a hatchet job of a review before the device is even available to the masses.

Keeping the device closely guarded until release changes the dynamic. Good on ya, BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    puttermann likes this.
    11-03-15 09:28 PM
    I think everyone is more worried about the reviews and articles for the non crackberry consumer. Most of us on here are already pretty much know if we are going to grab the priv or not by now. I know I want the priv to be a hit and the only way it will be is with some relentless advertising and good reviews
    SoCalRedbird likes this.
    11-03-15 09:29 PM
    J Caloy!!!! Where's you at??? Do something... will you hate BlackBerry Priv, too?

Posted from my sexy Z10
    11-03-15 09:32 PM
    Who wants to buy the new BlackBerry if they are going to get out of the hardware business in 2016?
    Because the *software* on your phone would still work and be supported?

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 09:46 PM
    2 more sleeps people...
    what i can say is that the reviews will come out after Friday the 6th, bloggers and tech peeps will have the time to play with the device and post their thoughts over the weekend and the week after.
    BB is not selling the Priv over a period of 2 days only, this device will be available for a while and sales will pick up. no one said the goal was 5 million units on the weekend of the launch, but over a year.

add to that, the advertising campaign has just started and it will not be over soon, that is why it is called a "campaign". and what's the point of advertising something heavily while it's not even out yet?
    11-03-15 10:00 PM
    Yes. BlackBerry has failed terribly when it comes to bad PR and they did it themselves. Chen should be saying that they will continue to make hardware. Telling people that you may kill off hardware if you can't make money is a self fulfilling prophecy. You won't sell phones in any quantity if you tell media and customers that you might get out of the business. Chen should never have said that ever. This is what makes me believe that he is trying to "help" BlackBerry get out of the hardware business. PR and marketing (bad/lack of) has crippled hardware sales during the Heins/Chen era.
    BerryRipe, JeepBB, ljfong and 1 others like this.
    11-03-15 10:12 PM
    Yes. BlackBerry has failed terribly when it comes to bad PR and they did it themselves. Chen should be saying that they will continue to make hardware. Telling people that you may kill off hardware if you can't make money is a self fulfilling prophecy. You won't sell phones in any quantity if you tell media and customers that you might get out of the business. Chen should never have said that ever. This is what makes me believe that he is trying to "help" BlackBerry get out of the hardware business. PR and marketing (bad/lack of) has crippled hardware sales during the Heins/Chen era.
    I agree with the PR fail, and yes Chen should not have said anything like that, good thing he has done nothing dumb since. however if he wanted to get out of the handset business, why would he tap into the Android market then?
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-03-15 10:19 PM
    It wouldnt be half as bad if there wasnt so many Negative Nellies on these forums...
    BerryRipe and MO3iusONE like this.
    11-03-15 10:29 PM
    I just hope that there won't be any double-typing issues or backlight bleed on the PKB. My Classic has uneven backlighting. The 9900s and Q10s I've owned have been bright and even, while the Torch 9800 and 9810 both had issues in this regard. Since the Priv is Torch-like, I hope this won't rear its ugly head.
    11-03-15 10:36 PM
    I just hope that there won't be any double-typing issues or backlight bleed on the PKB. My Classic has uneven backlighting. The 9900s and Q10s I've owned have been bright and even, while the Torch 9800 and 9810 both had issues in this regard. Since the Priv is Torch-like, I hope this won't rear its ugly head.

I remember this like it was yesterday waiting for the torch release date. Still one of my all time favs
    11-03-15 10:40 PM
    https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...7359297d5f.jpg

I remember this like it was yesterday waiting for the torch release date. Still one of my all time favs
    BB7 with modern social media/cameras and I'd be pretty happy

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and experiment 626 like this.
    11-03-15 10:47 PM
    All of the articles about the Priv emphasize that BlackBerry could get out of the hardware bunsiness if it isn't an immediate success. Talk about buzz-kill. Who wants to buy the new BlackBerry if they are going to get out of the hardware business in 2016? This is some bad PR right now.
    Those articles from back in September have long since been replaced by positive articles and anticipation for the release of the Priv.
    11-03-15 10:56 PM
    I agree with the PR fail, and yes Chen should not have said anything like that, good thing he has done nothing dumb since. however if he wanted to get out of the handset business, why would he tap into the Android market then?
    Simple,

The Priv is a demo device to show off "The BlackBerry Experience Suite" to which no one will buy. It's a gateway and trial for software targeted to the Android platform. They can show off the software, drop the hardware and try to target all Android phones. It will fail. No one is going to pay so much per month/year for BlackBerry software for the Android platform. Management doesn't have a clue.
    andy957 and syplex like this.
    11-03-15 11:05 PM
    It wouldnt be half as bad if there wasnt so many Negative Nellies on these forums...
    Lipstick on a pig. You gotta call it for what it is.
    11-03-15 11:06 PM
90 123 ...