Here's a crazy baseless thought: what if BlackBerry and Google entered some sort of partnership and the Venice will be launched at Google's Nexus event instead?

One thing that's missing is that there was no indication ever that BlackBerry joined OHA, which is the requirement to distribute Play Store. The leaked devices clearly show it running it, and this seems like to be the place to announce the partnership. Not to mention there has to be some sort of partnership with Google going on, considering BlackBerry has the Android player on BB10 and that would have blocked them joining OHA. And considering how close to a stock Android the Venice looks like in the leaks, it might be a marketed as a "secured" Nexus device, hence the whole "Android Secured" thing?
    09-18-15 09:30 PM
    Hope so! BlackBerry needs something.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 09:32 PM
    I would love for that to happen! Im so excited about the Venice.

You bring up a good point, but the Venice looks to be a Blackberry device, not a nexus. Although I do believe the next nexus device should be made by BB. This will strengthen and improve the Nexus devices credibility.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ayngling likes this.
    09-18-15 09:40 PM
    I'm led to believe it'll be an announcement this month but by BlackBerry not Google.
    09-18-15 09:48 PM
    You're a man of mystery...Why must you keep your information so secretive!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-18-15 09:52 PM
    Chen walks on stage along with head of Google Sundar Pichai and announces Venice and joining OHA. Android fans say 'who is Chen' and Crackberrians absolutely lose their marbles. That would be fun times.
    hawklet00, tryfe, Jake2826 and 3 others like this.
    09-18-15 09:59 PM
    Nexus does not mean, "close to stock OS", it means "Stock OS".

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 10:04 PM
    The new Nexus phone has already leaked. It isn't a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-15 11:21 PM
    I can see this happening. Google could show off the newest version of Android, announce their nexus phones and then also have blackberry announce their slider phone.

I'm only saying this since when Google announced android wear and showed it off, Motorola, along with LG showed off their smart watches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    RigoMonster and ayngling like this.
    09-19-15 12:58 AM
    That's not crazy. It was my first thought when I saw that the previously rumored announcement date (the 29th) happened to be the same day as google's event. Combined with the rumors about Google putting significant marketing might behind the BlackBerry android effort and it looks pretty likely that we will see the device announced at this event.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    09-19-15 01:03 AM
    I can see this happening. Google could show off the newest version of Android, announce their nexus phones and then also have blackberry announce their slider phone.

I'm only saying this since when Google announced android wear and showed it off, Motorola, along with LG showed off their smart watches.

I'm glad you pointed that out about the moto 360 and G watch.

I believe if the BlackBerry Venice is announced during this event the situation will be analogous to that.

The BlackBerry Venice is to Android@Work what the moto 360 was to Android wear

09-19-15 01:07 AM
    Here's a crazy baseless thought: what if BlackBerry and Google entered some sort of partnership and the Venice will be launched at Google's Nexus event instead?

One thing that's missing is that there was no indication ever that BlackBerry joined OHA, which is the requirement to distribute Play Store. The leaked devices clearly show it running it, and this seems like to be the place to announce the partnership. Not to mention there has to be some sort of partnership with Google going on, considering BlackBerry has the Android player on BB10 and that would have blocked them joining OHA. And considering how close to a stock Android the Venice looks like in the leaks, it might be a marketed as a "secured" Nexus device, hence the whole "Android Secured" thing?
    In theory, the runtime on current devices wouldn't preclude OHA membership.

IOWs, it doesn't really point to a high powered relationship.
    09-19-15 01:07 AM
    That's not crazy. It was my first thought when I saw that the previously rumored announcement date (the 29th) happened to be the same day as google's event. Combined with the rumors about Google putting significant marketing might behind the BlackBerry android effort and it looks pretty likely that we will see the device announced at this event.

The only question is what is in it for Google?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    To increase their market share and show off a phone that might appeal to a different audience?

09-19-15 01:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    The enterprise. The only area android struggles for adoption

ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 03:45 AM
    That's not a crazy thought at all. Ok, maybe not as secured nexus but the thought of BlackBerry announcing it in Google's event is very much possible. Firstly, that is the best media coverage they could get for a BlackBerry launch plus they wouldn't have to waste resources for their own separate event. Plus, Microsoft recently took the stage at the Apple event. So anything is possible.

Edit : For someone who asked what's in it for Google, enterprise ofcourse. A secured android device would mean Google gets one over Apple and we know that Apple has been pushing for the enterprise very hard lately.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-19-15 03:49 AM

No nexus phones always have just Nexus on them and no carrier bloatware (we've seen bloat on the Venice) - anyway you have missed the obvious answer - you need membership of OHA to sell not develop a handset so they don't have to announce it or comply with the OHA regulation until they launch. I'm sure the deal is done and dusted and membership will appear on the website when they launch.

Membership right now would like not give BBRY time to deal with the runtime problem.
    09-19-15 04:06 AM
    I've heard rumours about this somewhere, I think. In an effort for Google to promote a secure variety of its operating system. That would be awesome.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    09-19-15 04:08 AM
    No nexus phones always have just Nexus on them and no carrier bloatware (we've seen bloat on the Venice) - anyway you have missed the obvious answer - you need membership of OHA to sell not develop a handset so they don't have to announce it or comply with the OHA regulation until they launch. I'm sure the deal is done and dusted and membership will appear on the website when they launch.

Membership right now would like not give BBRY time to deal with the runtime problem.
    OK maybe I should be a little more clear. I didn't quite mean "Nexus" in the Nexus sense, but more like a special Google co-brand, like Android One, but a new enterprise and security specific branding.

And if they do join OHA to sell Venice, I can't see BlackBerry just pulling the plug on the Leap, Passport and Classic. Unless OHA has specific terms on how long they have to comply, or Venice won't ship with Play at all. But that would make Android on the Venice kind of pointless. So some kind of deal would make more sense.
    09-19-15 07:21 AM
    OK maybe I should be a little more clear. I didn't quite mean "Nexus" in the Nexus sense, but more like a special Google co-brand, like Android One, but a new enterprise and security specific branding.

And if they do join OHA to sell Venice, I can't see BlackBerry just pulling the plug on the Leap, Passport and Classic. Unless OHA has specific terms on how long they have to comply, or Venice won't ship with Play at all. But that would make Android on the Venice kind of pointless. So some kind of deal would make more sense.
    They don't have to pull the plug on them - they just cannot sell them *with* the runtime or support it after release - OHA membership does not reach into past.

The most simple solution is either they cease selling bb10 devices (unlikely right at the moment) or past the point of launch any sold bb10 device has it stripped out.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-19-15 07:38 AM

It certainly would be great news for BB if this does happen. Blackberry has already collaborated with Samsung to integrate Nox with BES, it makes sense that Google would want in on the action too.
    09-19-15 08:57 AM