I know this is crazy, but would you be interested in a Priv running BBOS? I won't pretend for a second that it would be any sort of solution for Blackberry in general, but seeing as how we are clearly trying to serve a very small niche, could this be an interesting and easy niche to address? Basically, give us the much loved and cherished (by a hardcore group of maybe 10 million or so global users) BBOS on some high spec hardware. Almost no need for any development costs, and maybe a nice bump to sales. I think I would buy one. At least until someone smacked me upside the head and woke me up...any interest?
    VeryBumpy and Yukonlass like this.
    01-08-16 11:59 AM
    Let me answer that question with a question... how many of these d*** threads do we need?

I want a Priv running OS/2.

Next Question.
    01-08-16 12:04 PM
    Honestly, I've tried the keyboard on the Priv and it is utter crap. Of course the blackberry physical faithful have been spoiled by the likes of great keyboards. So no I would not be interested unless they are able to significantly improve the physical keyboard. Otherwise BB10 on a slider would be AWESOME! Because the virtual keyboard is fantastic!

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport!
    01-08-16 12:04 PM
    Let me answer that question with a question... how many of these d*** threads do we need?

I want a Priv running OS/2.

Next Question.
    Interesting. I didn't see the thread you're referring to. But OS/2 is not a very handheld friendly OS. And it doesn't belong to Blackberry. And it would require a lot of development costs to implement. BBOS and BB10 could be implemented at almost no cost at all. I've seen the question of BB10 on the Priv debated widely. I have also seen BB10 vs. BBOS debated widely. I do have a slight interest in seeing how BBOS would perform on real advanced hardware.
    Last edited by kirson; 01-08-16 at 04:46 PM.
    01-08-16 12:13 PM
    Interesting. I didn't see the thread you're referring to. But OS/2 is not a very handheld friendly OS. Ad it doesn't belong to Blackberry. And it would require a lot of development costs to implement. BBOS and BB10 could be implemented at almost no cost at all. I've seen the question of BB10 on the Priv debated widely. I have also seen BB10 vs. BBOS debated widely. I do have a slight interest in seeing how BBOS would perform on real advanced hardware.
    I'm pretty sure re-hiring all of the fired BBOS devs required to update a codebase that hasn't been touched in years would cost a pretty penny.

Plus, the Priv's 2560x1440 screen is far, far ahead of the 480x360 screens that BBOS is familiar with. So the five or six apps in BlackBerry World wouldn't work anyway, unless BlackBerry uses more manpower to catapult the current app library onto more cores and pixels than they would ever have been expected to use.
    kirson and Jonneh like this.
    01-08-16 01:52 PM
    I know this is crazy, but would you be interested in a Priv running BBOS? I won't pretend for a second that it would be any sort of solution for Blackberry in general, but seeing as how we are clearly trying to serve a very small niche, could this be an interesting and easy niche to address? Basically, give us the much loved and cherished (by a hardcore group of maybe 10 million or so global users) BBOS on some high spec hardware. Almost no need for any development costs, and maybe a nice bump to sales. I think I would buy one. At least until someone smacked me upside the head and woke me up...any interest?
    Priv will be release with 10.3.4!!!

Posted via Priv...
    01-08-16 02:18 PM
    BBOS was great because it was so freaking quick and efficient to get things done. Literally instant on nearly every command you gave it. None of this loading or animation BS like we have now.

They just need to make the Priv insanely quicker, then I'd be happy.

Any add a trackpad.
    brianmartinuk and mithrazor like this.
    01-08-16 02:35 PM
    BBOS was great because it was so freaking quick and efficient to get things done. Literally instant on nearly every command you gave it. None of this loading or animation BS like we have now.

Any add a trackpad.
    Attached Thumbnails Crazy idea - BBOS on Priv-1452285555157.jpg  
    01-08-16 02:39 PM

Any add a trackpad.
    BBOS quick???

That's just crazy talk.

I'll go with conite's post. That hourglass is what I remember the most with my time on BBOS 4 and 6.

It didn't help that the BBOS had a limit on how big each block of memory could be loaded at a time. Apps were installed as a bunch of fixed size files. The bigger the app, the more files it needed. That's where the constant memory swapping (and the hourglassing) came from.

Posted via CB10
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-08-16 02:53 PM
    I'm pretty sure re-hiring all of the fired BBOS devs required to update a codebase that hasn't been touched in years would cost a pretty penny.

Plus, the Priv's 2560x1440 screen is far, far ahead of the 480x360 screens that BBOS is familiar with. So the five or six apps in BlackBerry World wouldn't work anyway, unless BlackBerry uses more manpower to catapult the current app library onto more cores and pixels than they would ever have been expected to use.
    Damn. There you go being all logical and reasonable. Dream crusher!
    01-08-16 04:15 PM
    BBOS quick???

That's just crazy talk.

I'll go with conite's post. That hourglass is what I remember the most with my time on BBOS 4 and 6.

It didn't help that the BBOS had a limit on how big each block of memory could be loaded at a time. Apps were installed as a bunch of fixed size files. The bigger the app, the more files it needed. That's where the constant memory swapping (and the hourglassing) came from.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. It was slow. Molasses on a cold day at the North Pole type of slow. But that's why I thought it could be cool to see it run on super-spec hardware...
    01-08-16 04:19 PM
    I want Windows Vista with Toolbars, Addons, IE 6, and Flash on my phone. Let me relive the good ol' days.

As fun as it would be to test each OS on the Priv. It's just never going to happen.

I would run the OS's in this order if I could.

BB10
    BBOS 7.1
    Windows 10 Desktop
    Ubuntu
    Steam OS
    Jonneh and kirson like this.
    01-08-16 04:24 PM
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. It was slow. Molasses on a cold day at the North Pole type of slow. But that's why I thought it could be cool to see it run on super-spec hardware...
    It wasn't all hardware, though.
    kirson likes this.
    01-08-16 04:33 PM
    I want Windows Vista with Toolbars, Addons, IE 6, and Flash on my phone. Let me relive the good ol' days.
    Funny! But Vista? Windows XP, now that I get...
    01-08-16 04:41 PM
    It wasn't all hardware, though.
    Again, true. But it was such a terrific system, and so completely and perfectly suited for its core functionality (email), that it was amazing despite those limitations. I've moved on. I don't live in the past. My 9900 is now my alarm clock. But I do sometimes miss the old girl!
    01-08-16 04:43 PM
    Again, true. But it was such a terrific system, and so completely and perfectly suited for its core functionality (email), that it was amazing despite those limitations. I've moved on. I don't live in the past. My 9900 is now my alarm clock. But I do sometimes miss the old girl!
    I guess, but even if one ports BBOS to Priv hardware, you'd still chuck it out a window the moment you try to use the browser.
    kirson likes this.
    01-08-16 04:45 PM
    Honestly, I've tried the keyboard on the Priv and it is utter crap. Of course the blackberry physical faithful have been spoiled by the likes of great keyboards. So no I would not be interested unless they are able to significantly improve the physical keyboard. Otherwise BB10 on a slider would be AWESOME! Because the virtual keyboard is fantastic!

Posted via my awesome BlackBerry Passport!
    You've one of the only people I've seen mention that the physical keyboard sucks (regardless of OS on the Priv). I mean once I figured out I wouldn't be blind typing like I used to with 9900 type/shape/sized keyboard Priv was done for me. If I'm going to spend that much on Android I'll do it with a company who has better specs and better quality control for the money.

I've accepted I'm going to have an android phone in the near future. In order for me to come back to BlackBerry they need to make a real keyboard. Hire back whoever designed the 9900.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    kirson likes this.
    01-08-16 04:47 PM
    Hire back whoever designed the 9900.
    The 9900 had the PERFECT keyboard!
    01-08-16 04:54 PM
    Funny! But Vista? Windows XP, now that I get...
    T'was a joke.

Both BBOS and Windows Vista were slow memory hogs.
    01-08-16 04:56 PM
    I guess, but even if one ports BBOS to Priv hardware, you'd still chuck it out a window the moment you try to use the browser.
    So true! I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes remembering that god-awful browser...
    01-08-16 04:56 PM
    T'was a joke.

Both BBOS and Windows Vista were slow memory hogs.
    Yes, but with BBOS you could do a quick battery pull and a mere 9 minutes later you could be back in business!
    01-08-16 04:58 PM
    Puff Puff pass... did you forget to pass?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and kirson like this.
    01-08-16 05:04 PM
    PRIV physical keyboard is actually really good. I enjoy it a lot. Works perfectly fine and it is not too small or anything, it's perfect in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-08-16 06:47 PM
    not to mention that BlackBerry would need 808 drivers for BBOS

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 07:10 PM
    You've one of the only people I've seen mention that the physical keyboard sucks (regardless of OS on the Priv). I mean once I figured out I wouldn't be blind typing like I used to with 9900 type/shape/sized keyboard Priv was done for me. If I'm going to spend that much on Android I'll do it with a company who has better specs and better quality control for the money.

I've accepted I'm going to have an android phone in the near future. In order for me to come back to BlackBerry they need to make a real keyboard. Hire back whoever designed the 9900.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2876 / T-Mobile USA
    the Priv has a bad pkb. it's discussed often here, and it's a common opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 07:11 PM
53 123