well... i did it.
    my priv fell on its face and the screen now shows a crack line.
    a new screen with its frame is $299.

locally the people that sell the priv are outrageously jacking up the priv price... why? because the production has stopped.

ironically though i dont feel the crack on the screen when using the phone. is it inner? (below the outer glass?)
    Attached Thumbnails cracked priv screen.-photo_2016-10-12_16-53-59.jpg  
    10-12-16 08:55 AM
    Most modern screen have some sort of film on them, so no you shouldn't feel the crack.

The PRIV just was never a big seller and thus parts have not been readily available, even on line. And the screen is usually the most common hardware part needing replacement... At one time it was cheaper to buy a AT&T surplus phone and swap the screen... but those seem to have finally been sold off.

$300 is not a jacked up price... that's pretty much the going rate.
    10-12-16 09:24 AM
    Most modern screen have some sort of film on them, so no you shouldn't feel the crack.
    so what is it that broke that was so weak? i mean it was literally 1 feet off the ground. i had it sitting on a small table and it just slipped and slam into the ground face first.
    10-12-16 09:27 AM
    so what is it that broke that was so weak? i mean it was literally 1 feet off the ground. i had it sitting on a small table and it just slipped and slam into the ground face first.
    It just depends on how it lands. It could have fallen from the same height (or higher) 10 other times without breaking. Just bad luck.
    10-12-16 09:31 AM
    I expect with the rounded edges, that it does increases the potential for the phone falling and hitting one of those edges... and cracking. But it is GG4, so it's not a weak type of glass....
    10-12-16 09:51 AM
    A crack line? The phone should still work, so just live with it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-12-16 03:04 PM
    A crack line? The phone should still work, so just live with it.

call it whatever you want. a crackline, a crack .. its there. LOL! and its annoying the hell out of me.
    andy957 and jimmy zamalot like this.
    10-12-16 03:07 PM
    call it whatever you want. a crackline, a crack .. its there. LOL! and its annoying the hell out of me.
    Seriously, a fix isn't worth the cash for something that minor. If the phone still works, just deal with the crack.

10-12-16 03:30 PM
    You can get a new priv for less... I've seen it on ebay unlocked frequently & you might get lucky ...

bluesqueen23 likes this.
    10-12-16 03:42 PM
    I cracked mine to man. Dropped it less than 6inches on its back and voila cracked the glass.
    Bugs the hell out of me as well so I just bought a case and tempered glass. Looks good as new. Feels a lot more durable now lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-16 03:43 PM
    Dropped my original Priv hence cracking the screen as well... Was a perfect crack if ever there were such a thing... Straight across the middle of the screen... Barely noticeable, except I KNOW it's there so the cover is blown... Originally was going to go with the insurance plan and replace it, but I ultimately decided to keep the cracked Priv as well as purchase one via shopBlackBerry new... Purchasing and installing a screen is NOT a fiscally responsible choice IMHO... A thriftier option would probably be to seek out another broken Priv with a salvageable screen and perform a screen swap if you're feeling like having a go at a little DIY project, but ultimately I'd purchase a Priv anew or if you don't mind 'gently used', ebay or other similar venues as mentioned in a comment somewhere above mine...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by CivilDissident; 10-17-16 at 11:54 PM.
    10-13-16 12:09 AM
    Going price for screen replacement is around $300?! You can purchase a used replacement phone for that. I had mine for less than 3 days and dropped it. Screen is shattered/cracked. Kinda sad. I'm back on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-16 11:04 PM
    Cracked the top of mine too. Ridiculous

10-17-16 03:27 AM
    I have my Priv in the OEM leather flip case. When I was walking down the street recently I tripped on a piece of concrete and took a nasty fall. The phone flew out of my hand down on the cement and I was sure it was toast. Even the slider opened. Well the phone survived without a scratch. I recommend having a case on it when and if you replace the screen or get a new one or both.

FF22 likes this.
    10-17-16 08:20 AM
    What kind of manufacturer makes a top-of-the-range 700 Euro phone and then doesn't make enough replacement screens????
    Seriously I've replaced countless screens myself on phones and tablets, it's an easy job if you know what you're doing. The most I've ever spent on a new digitiser was 15Euros and shipping. I've also been unfortunate enough to lose my digitiser from desktop-height. It is outright ridiculous that the cheapest one costs almost as much as a good second hand model. I swear if there's another manufacturer who made the same form-factor, I'd hop on their bus yesterday.

Blackberry used to build excellent phones and I've had many. I still refuse to let go of my Passport even though I cannot really justify keeping it. If someone ever came out with a way to get rid of OS10 and put android on the Passport, I'll pay myself the favour and do it.

Things have come to the point where I'm about ready to just buy random digitisers of similar dimensions and just see if the connectors fit.
    10-22-16 09:10 AM