"Get an android site to do it" comments are odd to me.

Crackberry is now an android site, BBRY is now an android OEM that bends its knee to King Google and does what it is told - it is now no different to any other OEM that also produces its own OS (like Samsung).

This discussion seems to me to mirror the multiple questions where the response is always "of course it's an android phone".
    11-02-15 03:12 PM
    And what if Bla1ze can't really show you how it's better than BB10.... other than it has official access to Google Play. What if the HUB is a mess, what if you miss having BBM Videos, what if the file manager is missing, what if there is no BLEND, no remote file access, peak, flow, swipe? These would be negatives for all BB10 BlackBerry users.... but for the average Android user it would mean nothing as they didn't have those anyway.
    That gets to the heart of the question: in the opinion of CrackBerry.com / AndroidCentral.com / Mobile Nations members, what are your expectations with how close should the CrackBerry review be to a general Android review, or should it be closer to speaking directly (ONLY?!?) to BlackBerry users, with the AndroidCentral.com review being the one that measures BlackBerry's achievements with Android against, say, TouchWiz or Sense or Blackphone or whatever, and compares the build quality of other Android device vendors' handsets to the Priv? Or something in between where the "AndroidCentral" review and the "CrackBerry" review will cover a lot of the same ground, and may be contradictory? Or should Phil Nickinson be a guest reviewer and publish the "Android" review ON CrackBerry.com? There's another thought...

Maybe Bla1ze will do a general review... and then just do a Comparison Guide for those making the transition?
    That's a good idea, too.

"Get an android site to do it" comments are odd to me.

Crackberry is now an android site, BBRY is now an android OEM that bends its knee to King Google and does what it is told - it is now no different to any other OEM that also produces its own OS (like Samsung).

This discussion seems to me to mirror the multiple questions where the response is always "of course it's an android phone".
    "Not sure if sarcastic" or playing devil's advocate here, too... but that is also germane to the topic.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Toodeurep like this.
    11-02-15 03:15 PM
    The priv should definitely be reviewed as though coming from a BlackBerry 10 device.

No point comparing it too much to other androids, everyone else will be doing that.

Bla1ze would do well to represent us BlackBerry fans into this new world of BlackBerry androids.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 03:18 PM
    The priv should definitely be reviewed as though coming from a BlackBerry 10 device.

No point comparing it too much to other androids, everyone else will be doing that.

Bla1ze would do well to represent us BlackBerry fans into this new world of BlackBerry androids.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that the review becomes a review of Android, and not the Priv device itself. It's an interesting predicament though.

It's like comparing a beach vacation to a ski vacation.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    11-02-15 03:21 PM

"Not sure if sarcastic" or playing devil's advocate here, too... but that is also germane to the topic.
    Neither - I am deadly serious - you only have to read the articles from today where you see head of devices was instructed from his first day to turn them into an android OEM - this isnt a late change on the part of Chen - its the actual plan.

People have guessed this but it's now straight from the horses mouth
    11-02-15 03:30 PM
    And what if Bla1ze can't really show you how it's better than BB10.... other than it has official access to Google Play. What if the HUB is a mess, what if you miss having BBM Videos, what if the file manager is missing, what if there is no BLEND, no remote file access, peak, flow, swipe? These would be negatives for all BB10 BlackBerry users.... but for the average Android user it would mean nothing as they didn't have those anyway.

Maybe Bla1ze will do a general review... and then just do a Comparison Guide for those making the transition?
    Whatever loss or gain in functionality results from the transition to Android, I want to know it. I want an unbiased, no holding back review that focuses on actual differences, points out the shortcomings, and the benefits. In some sense conite has it right, it is a review not just of the PRIV but of Android as an OS to power a BlackBerry. I would go further than this and argue that I already know that BlackBerry 10 and Android are not the same, but they are supposed to share one common element, the BlackBerry experience. That should be one of the pivotal focus elements of the PRIV review. If the said experience is not there and this feels just like another Android, then in my eyes BlackBerry failed to bring those elements to Android that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, and by default have failed in bringing a true BlackBerry powered by Android.

As for my ultimate decision on whether to get the device or not, it is simple. I will take the facts from CrackBerry and other reviews, go try the device out myself, and if it falls short of my expectations, then I will not buy it. The more facts they give me, the better. If it falls as short in every respect as you state above, then I won't even bother with trying. I will just skip it all together, or perhaps buy it some months down the line at a discount, just for the curiosity factor.
    11-02-15 04:01 PM
    Neither - I am deadly serious - you only have to read the articles from today where you see head of devices was instructed from his first day to turn them into an android OEM - this isnt a late change on the part of Chen - its the actual plan.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link? I'm not sure if you meant "CrackBerry News articles from today" or from Reuters or whatnot... I absolutely don't dispute your claim, I'd just like to read that quote in context.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-02-15 at 04:14 PM.
    11-02-15 04:01 PM
    I would go further than this and argue that I already know that BlackBerry 10 and Android are not the same, but they are supposed to share one common element, the BlackBerry experience. That should be one of the pivotal focus elements of the PRIV review. If the said experience is not there and this feels just like another Android, then in my eyes BlackBerry failed to bring those elements to Android that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, and by default have failed in bringing a true BlackBerry powered by Android.
    To me, failure is if BlackBerry does not bring value to Android.

BlackBerry does not need to compete against BB10 (or BBOS, or WebOS for that matter). Harsh, but true.

RyanGermann and bungaboy like this.
    11-02-15 04:08 PM
    Would you be so kind as to provide a link? I'm not sure if you meant "CrackBerry News articles from today" or from Reuters or whatnot... I absolutely don't dispute your claim, I'd just like to read that quote in context.
    Here you go...

Inside BlackBerry's last-ditch plan to win you back with Android - CNET

To me, failure is if BlackBerry does not bring value to Android.

We're actually kind of arguing the same point. If we end up with "just another Android", then where is the impetus to buy this device? The keyboard alone is not enough for me.
    11-02-15 04:08 PM
    Logically, it may be best for bbry if Android Central review it only.

Think about it. BB10 market share is nothing, which means barely anyone knows or cares about the OS. To sell the Prov, BlackBerry must distance themselves from BB10 when marketing or talking about the it. You'll notice that they've already have. Even while bringing over the Hub, virtual kb, and other similar BB10 features to the Priv, they haven't mentioned anything about how easy it is for BB10 users to migrate to Android. In reality, it's not about them. Consumers need to understand that this is an Android device, providing the same offerings of the Galaxy S6, LG G4, and others, not a new BBRY system. So a review with a lot of references back to BB10 may cause confusion for the new users they are trying to acquire.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-02-15 04:49 PM

A quote from the article...

"While Chen wanted a stronger relationship with Google -- one of the services BlackBerry offers is managing email on mobile devices, including those powered by Android -- Louks pushed things forward by asking to build an Android smartphone in early 2014.

Chen wasn't sold on the idea. And he wasn't alone. BlackBerry veterans are accustomed to using the company's own software to ensure the most secure devices, and Android lacked a reputation for security."

Where does your statement that "instructed from his first day to turn them into an android OEM" come in? It continues to reiterate that he had to convince Chen...
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-02-15 04:53 PM
    More...

"There's normal tension when you change a strategic decision," Louks said. "People are going to question it."

It wasn't until Louks convinced Chen he could build an Android smartphone with security embedded in the hardware that he got the green light.

That story doesn't show instruction from the first day. SMH
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-02-15 04:56 PM
    Chen wasn't sold on the idea. And he wasn't alone. BlackBerry veterans are accustomed to using the company's own software to ensure the most secure devices, and Android lacked a reputation for security."

Where does your statement that "instructed from his first day to turn them into an android OEM"? I continues to reiterate that he had to convince Chen...
    Louks, the head of the devices division may be the one who should be the target for animosity, not Chen, if you want to split hairs, but in the end, all of BlackBerry management is culpable. Louks is the one that flashed the Slider mockup with a BB10 OS skin on it, not an Android skin: that wasn't an accident, that was misdirection, plain and simple. He never had any intention of releasing the Slider with BB10 on it, but intentionally led people to speculate about that i.e. BB10's future.

All the talk about how much it would cost to port BB10 to the Slider is just totally bunk at this point: if their plan was all along to mislead and try to keep BB10 alive so they could clear out device inventory, then anything they say about difficulties of porting BB10 are subject to skepticism i.e. they're lies or misleading at best.
    11-02-15 04:59 PM
    I assure you that his review will be very good for all users. He isnt going to sugarcoat it and never has. He is plenty familiar with android and bb10 both so you should get plenty of insight from both sides. I dont think anyone needs to worry and will certainly love reading it.
    11-02-15 05:00 PM
    I'd expect there's a good chance many people will move from BB's to android phones with BB10 appearing to be nearer the end of it's supported life so comparing it against other alternatives from both the Android and BB world makes more sense to me. The more information and comparisons in a review the better, wanting less information seems a bit narrow minded when the phone could well be competing against other android devices to people here.
    11-02-15 05:05 PM
    This is exactly the same attitude that fueled the resistance to the idea of Android device in the first place, and then the name of it, and now the perspective of the review. People (CB regulars)...everything is not about you! Just like Priv is not specifically made for you either. Goodness, understand that the Priv, and it's CB review, is something catering to a much larger audience.

How narrow minded would it be to write a review for the CrackBerrian just so that a new-to-blackberry Priv owner can find the review and be like 'wtf'. The whole context would be lost on them. I think a balanced approach is a stretch. Let's get this to kill the android market and NOT get it to convert the 1% BB10 user into a Priv user.

A Priv review should NOT be something that underhandedly touts the merits of BB10. We all understand them, but a BlackBerry 10 vs Priv should definitely not be the focus of a high traffic review from CrackBery.

My opinion.