Had my pre order cancelled yesterday by BB, for what reason, I don't know so I called in CPW to see if they had one in stock. The kid in the store didn't even know about it but went to the store room to look for one, she came out with the demo, of which was still sealed.
    After opening the box and booting up the device I was looking at the samsung edge 6 on sale, sim free for 10 pounds less.
    After waiting, i put the phones side by side, and the difference was shocking, ok BB needs updates, but the samsung was so much smoother and far better performance wise , the build quality of the priv was not what i expected, the keyboard was clicking on the sides and the sound quality was no better than my pp se.
    All in all, spending 30 minutes having a look at the phone, I could not believe how they have priced it at �559. I will buy it, as I do all BB devices, but I can't see this doing well amongst the Android crowd, especially the under 30's who have over 20 other equally competent android phones to be had for far less cash, couple that with no sales personnel having a thread of knowledge about the product, I think this will be sub �400 after the Xmas holidays... Blackberry are finished sadly.
    11-18-15 07:40 AM
    It is disheartening reading various stories like this. Question is, some folks say theirs is built to their liking. Others not so.....
    FF22 likes this.
    11-18-15 07:48 AM
    I don't think I'd be as dramatic as to say "BB are finished" that is simply not fact. Sure, it's your opinion after playing with the device for, what, 10 minutes in carphonewarehouse? But I think a new device like this takes time. Let's not forget, this is the first BB device 'powered by Android' and you only have to look at this forum to see that there's a lot of things that need work and improvement before Priv becomes as smooth as it should / can be.

I thi it's unfair to compare it Samsung's device anyway, especially considering Samsung has used Android for years and has spent time tweaking their hardware to work with Android. On the flip side, Priv is very much in its infancy with no real update as of yet, though we know it should be coming soon and with it, hopefully, a more ironed out experience for the user.

On the flip side, although Samsung's devices offer a smooth, bright and colourful experience, a lot of Android die hands would rather use something else entirely than have to deal with their TouchWiz skin. Sure, it's not as in your face as it once was, but it is there and you either like it or you hate it.

What I will give to Samsung is the build quality though. But with an all metal design it's always going to feel more robust especially when there are no moving parts to the device. I'm on my second Priv, and the current one has hardly any build issues, save for the odd creak at the back but it's nothing compared to the first one I purchased. As much as it's becoming a cliche on here, Priv really does need time. No other hardware gives you a physical keypad with full Android support and those great BB features we've come to love (even if they too, need some updates!)

Hopefully in time the device can sell enough for BB to keep going and get the second Priv absolutely spot on. For what it's worth though, this one isn't half bad at all.
    lang007 likes this.
    11-18-15 08:05 AM
    Well the Priv has a very plastic light feel to it...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:11 AM
    I will buy it, as I do all BB devices
    You won't be disappointed...and I am coming from a samsung. After using the PRIV for less than a week, one thing has become abundantly clear, and that is I will never buy another phone without a pkb...both for the typing and the track pad.
    Last edited by Mark Sb; 11-18-15 at 08:25 AM.
    lang007 and RigoMonster like this.
    11-18-15 08:14 AM
    after a couple of weeks you'll soon find the sammy becomes laggy. Too much bloat.
    cdavisunlimited likes this.
    11-18-15 08:20 AM
    Also don't forget out of the box the Priv needs updates for all apps which greatly affects the performance. It's real laggy with out any of the updates

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 08:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    I totally disagree...comparing the priv to an iphone 6s or my samsung s5 the priv has a much more "substantial" feel to it.
    11-18-15 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wonder how BlackBerry pulled that off seeing as the PRIV is actually heavier than the S6.

Posted via CB10
    cios and John Doe99 like this.
    11-18-15 09:05 AM
    It is disheartening reading various stories like this. Question is, some folks say theirs is built to their liking. Others not so.....
    I guess it really is a matter of personal preference and opinion...do I wish more people would give it a chance? Yes, but it just isn't...marketed(?) well towards consumers.

*IMO* the Samsung (s6edge etc) phones are ugly x_X hardware and software wise - but obviously I'd be in the minority.

But eh...yeah

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android - Priv Until Death do Us Part
    11-18-15 09:13 AM
    ''BlackBerry are finished''.

Man the stations, this dude has spoken with authority!

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 09:25 AM
    Had my pre order cancelled yesterday by BB, for what reason, I don't know so I called in CPW to see if they had one in stock. The kid in the store didn't even know about it but went to the store room to look for one, she came out with the demo, of which was still sealed.
    After opening the box and booting up the device I was looking at the samsung edge 6 on sale, sim free for 10 pounds less.
    After waiting, i put the phones side by side, and the difference was shocking, ok BB needs updates, but the samsung was so much smoother and far better performance wise , the build quality of the priv was not what i expected, the keyboard was clicking on the sides and the sound quality was no better than my pp se.
    All in all, spending 30 minutes having a look at the phone, I could not believe how they have priced it at �559. I will buy it, as I do all BB devices, but I can't see this doing well amongst the Android crowd, especially the under 30's who have over 20 other equally competent android phones to be had for far less cash, couple that with no sales personnel having a thread of knowledge about the product, I think this will be sub �400 after the Xmas holidays... Blackberry are finished sadly.
    I think:

1) You should post this in the Samsung forum.

2) You should buy a Samsung Edge.

Obviously the Edge is your type of phone and the Priv is not...and that's perfectly fine. This world would suck if we all liked the same things.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 09:27 AM
    I think:

1) You should post this in the Samsung forum.

2) You should buy a Samsung Edge.

Obviously the Edge is your type of phone and the Priv is not...and that's perfectly fine. This world would suck if we all liked the same things.

You missed the bit where he said he would still buy the priv?
    11-18-15 09:30 AM
    Whole heartily agreed!! It's criminal what BlackBerry have done with pricing of this device. I also have taken a look at demo version at the CPW I was surprisingly very shocked at the built quality.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    11-18-15 09:43 AM
    I don't think I could disagree with you more. I'm coming over from a Samsung Note Edge, and inevitably, TouchWiz gets laggy no matter how many iterations of it they go through. Samsung also has a tendency to push out updates for the sake of updates, updates which are often *worse* than the original software. But setting those issues aside...

Priv has a gorgeously vibrant screen
    Priv feels well-built
    Priv has a PKB
    Priv has less bloatware
    Priv has snappy performance
    Priv has a beautiful aesthetic

That's not to imply that the S6E is worse in any of those respects, but it's definitely not as lopsided as your post suggests. The S6E definitely lacks, however, in the bloatware department and privacy (Sammy apps are even worse than Google's in this respect). I also feel like it looks more childish than the Priv, which looks very professional.

11-18-15 09:48 AM
    I'm on my second Priv
    Does this one have the key registering problem you encountered onyour first one?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-18-15 09:49 AM
    You missed the bit where he said he would still buy the priv?
    Sure... I just hope he'll be happy with the Priv. It just seemed like he was much more excited about the Edge... which is certainly a cool phone. Sometimes you just have to go with what you're feeling... and based on his initial comment... he wasn't feeling the Priv.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-18-15 10:25 AM
    Also don't forget out of the box the Priv needs updates for all apps which greatly affects the performance. It's real laggy with out any of the updates

Posted via CB10
    That is interesting because I doubt very much that the in store demo models get any updates. The one I used had a definite lag when scrolling. The text would stay blurred for a moment and then snap into focus.

I would not be buying a phone that is a beta state. Good on all those that do, BlackBerry needs the sales.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 10:51 AM
    Not at all, I was just thinking what the usual android sheep or folks buying for xmas would think. Im Blackberry through and through and like I said, Il buy it, but I bet you it will be 400 quid in Jan. I just think they have pitched it too high, 450 would have been spot on. However, if it was running bb10 I would gladly pay 550 albeit for loyalty reasons. I would never buy a Samsung or any other android save for the Priv. If BB went tits up and I wore out my pp's and classic, I think my option would have to be Windows
    so crow likes this.
    11-18-15 11:26 AM
    Thanks, Thought this was a place for discussion of everything Blackberry, not just *** licking
    11-18-15 11:29 AM
    I had the same opinion as you when I saw the demo unit at att... It changed the moment I got the Priv in hand. As others reported, there are some issues with the battery and stuff like that which can be improved by following the suggestions given by the users. I did do the same and the battery life improved.

11-18-15 11:30 AM
    Fair play and I agree re BB,s first android, the fact is that they are up against not only Samsung but Sony, LG among other well known brands and Mr and mrs Paying customer don't want to go with a for �550 phone thats still work in progress when there are safe bets sitting right beside it in the store in abundant supply and flogged with plenty of enthusiasm by the teenage staff.
    I hope this device brings on a renaissance for BB, but the PKB will be the only thing that will make it stand out from the others. commentators on here should realise, it is only us BB diehards who are the ones that rate the hub etc with such passion.
    11-18-15 11:46 AM
    It's built to my liking. The Samsung has a more polished appearance, but this isn't jewelry; it's a phone. The Samsung isn't using stock Android either; they are using TouchWiz. I've used TouchWiz phones for 4 years... Stock Android is better and the Priv's build quality is world class.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on the Priv
    11-18-15 12:24 PM
    To be honest Samsung phones used to feel exactly like the Priv for the most part, but they got hammered by the tech press so they had to up their game and make them more like an iPhone. Its a matter of opinion, but to me the Priv feels great. It may or may not have that extreme premium feel, which is a matter of opinion, but it feels like a Blackberry, and I like that. Yes the Samsung destroys the Priv in benchmark testing, but once the Priv is totally updated and settled in for a few days, nothing about it feels slow. And the only place I see lag, in the hub, will continue to get updated and improve as its as simple as an app update.
    11-18-15 01:08 PM
    I agree that it is a bit overpriced, althought you have to take some considerations in your cricticism...

"The sound quality was no better than the PP SE" - No better, but comparable, wich means it's above average in the smartphone industry. It's actually better than the bottom firing speaker in the Samsung S6 edge that you were looking at.

"samsung was so much smoother" - Since the Priv was a dummy device, it didn't have the updates that everybody reported that make a massive difference in the smoothness of the OS. Also worth mentioning that the S6 edge uses Samsung's proprietary Exynos 7420 processor that it's much more powerfull than the Snapdragon processors. Also, for how long is Samsung doing Android phones? did you expect Blackberry to surpass samsung in the first month with it's first atempt at android?

"Blackberry are finished sadly." - Please, not another "the end of blackberry" propaganda, we have been hearing those for at least 5 years... From what we have heard, Priv has been exceeding the demand expectations... Blackberry is also so "sadly finished" that there is another Android Blackberry to be launched soon codenamed Vienna.

But yes, you're right, it's a bit overpriced compared to the competition, but seems that people are buying it.
    ae997 likes this.
    11-18-15 01:09 PM
30 12