I just go mine last night. This Android stuff is going to take some getting used to! I have a few questions and yes, these may be absolutely stupid questions....

There's no app shop? Or is that the google play? (I don't have a google ID, I guess I will need one now)

Is Blaq available at all? I'm addicted to Blaq, I can't imagine twitter without it.

Thanks in advance
    11-12-15 09:31 AM
    I just go mine last night. This Android stuff is going to take some getting used to! I have a few questions and yes, these may be absolutely stupid questions....

There's no app shop? Or is that the google play? (I don't have a google ID, I guess I will need one now)

Is Blaq available at all? I'm addicted to Blaq, I can't imagine twitter without it.

Thanks in advance
    Yes, Google Play is where you will get your apps from (unless you install a third party app like the Amazon app store which isn't really needed), and you will need a gmail account.

If you don't want to use gmail for the email component, you can disable email syncing for the gmail account and just keep it for app purchases. I think I read somewhere that you can also create an non-email gmail account but not sure where I read it to provide a link.

When you add a gmail account to your Android phone, your settings will be tied to the account so if you activate another Android phone with that gmail account, it will pull in your settings and app history, etc which is convenient.

Blaq isn't available but there are loads of Twitter apps on Google Play. You can do a search and look for ones that have the highest reviews or an 'editors choice' rating. Try them out and choose one that you like the best. Even the paid versions will have free versions (usually with ads and limited features) you can try out to see which one you like the most. I was never a big fan of Blaq on BB10 so I don't know which Android app may be the most similar in feature set.
    DonnyVantage likes this.
    11-12-15 09:39 AM
    Can we take screen shots like we did with the BB's two volume buttons? I'm sure we can as I've seen some great ones in the other threads, but how?
    11-12-15 10:01 AM
    Yes, simply press the volume down and power buttons at the same time. Screen cap taken.
    11-12-15 10:08 AM
    I just go mine last night. This Android stuff is going to take some getting used to!
    One thing I highly recommend is getting used to your google account as you're figuring out Android. Use the Photos app to backup your pictures, use google drive for file transfers. Use Google Hangouts for messaging and texting.

One of the HUGE advantages of Android is that you get the whole range of Google Products. If you're a Chrome user, sign in with your Google account. Sign in and use google now (The swipe up from the home button to the google button). Go in to Google maps and set your home and work locations. Set up a Google+ page (even if you don't plan on using it much).

It's really a good system if you can get all the segments working for you! There's definitely a learning curve, but that's what forums are here to help with!
    11-12-15 10:11 AM
    One thing I highly recommend is getting used to your google account as you're figuring out Android. Use the Photos app to backup your pictures, use google drive for file transfers. Use Google Hangouts for messaging and texting.

One of the HUGE advantages of Android is that you get the whole range of Google Products. If you're a Chrome user, sign in with your Google account. Sign in and use google now (The swipe up from the home button to the google button). Go in to Google maps and set your home and work locations. Set up a Google+ page (even if you don't plan on using it much).

It's really a good system if you can get all the segments working for you! There's definitely a learning curve, but that's what forums are here to help with!
    Just to provide another point of view, another way is to not do all this. While I use and like aspects of Android phones, I am not a fan of Google's services that much (other than Google Maps). Since I really don't like the way Gmail works (I use outlook accounts as they meet my needs better), I disable gmail on my Android phones. I also don't use the photos app (I back up my photos to OneDrive automatically like I do on BB10), I don't use Google Drive (OneDrive meets my needs better), and while I use Hangouts for making voice calls, I prefer BBM for chats and I definitely disable Hangouts for texting (hate Hangouts for texting and use the Textra app instead). Same thing for Google+ which I'll either disable the app or turn off as many settings for the app I can. And I go even further by going in to the google settings app and I turn off location history and tracking, I disable google now, and pretty much every other setting I can that I know I don't want. Plus I'll go into the Apps section in Settings and disable the Google apps for games, newsstand, videos, music, etc..

Essentially, the only google services I use are Google Play for the apps and Google Maps as they are the only ones I need from Google. Everything else is either not needed by me or met by another app. Plus I get the benefit of extra battery life as many of those google services, especially the tracking ones, do take a hit on the battery.

So, yes, it's an Android phone with an OS made by Google, but that doesn't mean people have to use Google's services as there are many options out there that do the same thing.

It comes down to choice and one of the main advantages with Android is that it at least gives people that choice.
    DetritalGeo, D3C0D3R and will308 like this.
    11-12-15 11:02 AM
    Just to provide another point of view, another way is to not do all this. While I use and like aspects of Android phones, I am not a fan of Google's services that much (other than Google Maps). Since I really don't like the way Gmail works (I use outlook accounts as they meet my needs better), I disable gmail on my Android phones. I also don't use the photos app (I back up my photos to OneDrive automatically like I do on BB10), I don't use Google Drive (OneDrive meets my needs better), and while I use Hangouts for making voice calls, I prefer BBM for chats and I definitely disable Hangouts for texting (hate Hangouts for texting and use the Textra app instead). Same thing for Google+ which I'll either disable the app or turn off as many settings for the app I can. And I go even further by going in to the google settings app and I turn off location history and tracking, I disable google now, and pretty much every other setting I can that I know I don't want. Plus I'll go into the Apps section in Settings and disable the Google apps for games, newsstand, videos, music, etc..

Essentially, the only google services I use are Google Play for the apps and Google Maps as they are the only ones I need from Google. Everything else is either not needed by me or met by another app. Plus I get the benefit of extra battery life as many of those google services, especially the tracking ones, do take a hit on the battery.

So, yes, it's an Android phone with an OS made by Google, but that doesn't mean people have to use Google's services as there are many options out there that do the same thing.

It comes down to choice and one of the main advantages with Android is that it at least gives people that choice.
    Exactly what i've been preaching, but CB is too stuck in its anti-google mentality to realize this. A lot of "tracking" settings are disabled by default (like location history or photo auto backup in google photos) and if you use any 3rd party apps Google won't have access to that data.

Most people just use Google's apps because:
    1. they are the defaults
    2. they are actually pretty good

But, you are not forced to use any google apps and Google play is full of quality 3rd party alternatives.
    11-12-15 11:26 AM
    Exactly what i've been preaching, but CB is too stuck in its anti-google mentality to realize this. A lot of "tracking" settings are disabled by default (like location history or photo auto backup in google photos) and if you use any 3rd party apps Google won't have access to that data.
    Read it that way if you want, but it's not anti-google. I've been using Android phones for over four years (S2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Z3, OnePlus One) and I've used all their services and by using them I've found out the ones that I like and the ones I don't as they don't meet my needs. Plus, as I stated, the benefit of Android is that you don't have to use them if you don't want to. If Google services met everyone's needs then there wouldn't be so many popular and used apps in Google Play that offer the same services as Google's versions or custom ROM's like Cyanogen that offer choice that stock Android doesn't provide.

If someone wants to jump in both feet with Google and everything else, fine... more power to them. You aren't going to learn if you like or not like something until you try it. My point, which was clearly stated, is people don't need to feel that they have to even if they are using an Android phone because it gives them choice.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-12-15 11:44 AM
    Read it that way if you want, but it's not anti-google. I've been using Android phones for over four years (S2, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Z3, OnePlus One) and I've used all their services and by using them I've found out the ones that I like and the ones I don't as they don't meet my needs. Plus, as I stated, the benefit of Android is that you don't have to use them if you don't want to. If Google services met everyone's needs then there wouldn't be so many popular and used apps in Google Play that offer the same services as Google's versions or custom ROM's like Cyanogen that offer choice that stock Android doesn't provide.

If someone wants to jump in both feet with Google and everything else, fine... more power to them. You aren't going to learn if you like or not like something until you try it. My point, which was clearly stated, is people don't need to feel that they have to even if they are using an Android phone because it gives them choice.
    Sorry, I didn't mean you being anti-google. I agree with your post entirety.

What I meant is that there is a current here at CB that anything and everything Google is evil, and if you own an android phone you are forced to use Google's services. I always tried to debunk this myth and it's nice for someone else to echo that sentiment.
    Fr3lncr likes this.
    11-12-15 11:52 AM
    Sorry, I didn't mean you being anti-google. I agree with your post entirety.

What I meant is that there is a current here at CB that anything and everything Google is evil, and if you own an android phone you are forced to use Google's services. I always tried to debunk this myth and it's nice for someone else to echo that sentiment.
    Ah. Got it. Sorry... the downside with forums and the internet is that it is really, really easy to misinterpret meanings and intentions. I guess that's why I don't comment much :-)

And, yes, I would agree with your comment.
    11-12-15 12:07 PM

That is a good point. I do use Microsoft for Document suite (because it is way better than Docs) and a second backup for my photos (and really, OneDrive is my preferred because I have a TB of space with my Office 365 subscription).

I guess what I was suggesting is that there are TONS of efficiencies by sticking to one system instead of using multiple answers. Blackberry is nice because it's a slick system. Focus not only on learning Android, but making it a cohesive device much like the Blackberry is and I think you'll be happier than if you were to just google for the best email app, best document suite, best cloud solution, and best music player, and then pick those individually instead of looking at the systems as a whole!
    Fr3lncr likes this.
    11-12-15 12:14 PM
    How do I disable the tracking and all that? I like what I read above, I just want the maps and the google play for the apps. I don't need any other mumbo jumbo and my outlook account is what I use for email. I did create a new gmail address because I had to though.
    11-13-15 01:12 PM