Hopefully the price of priv will be a bit above the passport but that's just wishful thinking.
    We will see the price in a week or two
    If I were to guess it would be $949, with an intro offer or Black Friday sale down to $849 on ShopBB. And the usual Black Friday sales the carriers do.
    10-20-15 07:20 AM
    The Priv or 500 packs of Timbits?

For the uninitiated it may be a dilemma, but most Canadians will know which one is more apt to satisfy their hunger for something sweet and which one is more likely to leave a bad taste (Android, cough!) in their mouth.
    10-20-15 08:05 AM
    US$599.00 is the limit I can see for the Priv to have any hope of selling well enough to make a positive change to Blackberry's future wrt device sales.

US$549.00 is what the device should enter the market at but I don't believe that BlackBerry has the balls to do it right, they have zero interest in recovering device market share by their own effort. Don't bring the story that the device manufacturing costs are high because of its design and components so thats why the price is high, if the price is high then the majority of the market will not buy, if the majority of people are not willing to buy then why even bother bring the device to market?

Rather than broad siding the market with an attractive and innovative device at a good and reasonable price it would seem that the BlackBerry crew have turned the canons around and aimed them at the keel, they want to break the back of the remaining BlackBerry device supporters and end Blackberry's run in the device market once and for all.
    549.00 would be a price that would make BlackBerry succeed and make a return to the hardware business. This is why Chen will never do it. Chen wants to kill off the phone business the sooner the better and pricing this thing wrong is the fastest way to achieve his goal.

549.00 is the perfect price point. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. America loves a comeback story and this would do it.

BlackBerry had the chance to correct the mistake they made naming the slider. There is nothing to make me think they'll correct the pricing either.

I'd go on and tell my Thanksgiving dinner story but I don't want to be banned again.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-20-15 09:01 AM
    Maybe there's hope... some of the dropshippers dropped the price under $900 now.

Joao Oliveira and anon4226395 like this.
    10-20-15 10:23 AM
    10-20-15 10:24 AM
    who?
    Was actually getting a screencap...

So I guess all we need to do now is yell louder.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-20-15 10:27 AM
    The Priv or 500 packs of Timbits?

For the uninitiated it may be a dilemma, but most Canadians will know which one is more apt to satisfy their hunger for something sweet and which one is more likely to leave a bad taste (Android, cough!) in their mouth.
    I think I'll take the Priv. I don't want diabeetus.
    10-20-15 10:44 AM
    calm guys, price will tumble down.
    10-20-15 10:50 AM
    "Tumble" might be a stretch but I'm now convinced that launch price will be CAN$ 799-849 with perhaps a 64GB SD card thrown in for the first few thousand sales (an idea mooted on another site this am)
    10-20-15 10:54 AM
    This is the truth, the problem is that BlackBerry needs the Priv to sell while it and it's spec's are still fresh, not when they are trying to clear stock and recoup the cost to build the devices.

In the land of Android the freshness of a product doesn't last long, only as long as it takes for another manufacturer to build a similar, better or newer device for half the price or less. Sure BlackBerry has its fancy qwerty keyboard but how long will that novelty last with the general buyer, joe average.
    10-20-15 10:56 AM
    549.00 would be a price that would make BlackBerry succeed and make a return to the hardware business. This is why Chen will never do it. Chen wants to kill off the phone business the sooner the better and pricing this thing wrong is the fastest way to achieve his goal.

549.00 is the perfect price point. They wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. America loves a comeback story and this would do it.

BlackBerry had the chance to correct the mistake they made naming the slider. There is nothing to make me think they'll correct the pricing either.

I'd go on and tell my Thanksgiving dinner story but I don't want to be banned again.

If Chen really wants to kill the handset business why doesn't he just do it? Why would he play all these games?
    10-20-15 10:57 AM
    "Tumble" might be a stretch but I'm now convinced that launch price will be CAN$ 799-849 with perhaps a 64GB SD card thrown in for the first few thousand sales (an idea mooted on another site this am)
    I was actually thinking, as much as I hate mail in rebates, it might not be a bad idea for BlackBerry to do one for loyalty, e.g. if you send in your box IMEI barcode for your old BB device, you get a discount on top of any ShopBB discounts. This might entice some BB10 people on the fence to at least give it a try.
    10-20-15 10:58 AM
    I was actually thinking, as much as I hate mail in rebates, it might not be a bad idea for BlackBerry to do one for loyalty, e.g. if you send in your box IMEI barcode for your old BB device, you get a discount on top of any ShopBB discounts. This might entice some BB10 people on the fence to at least give it a try.
    Off to the land fill site....
    10-20-15 11:06 AM
    $1000?!?!? Expect poor sales. BlackBerry can't expect Apple prices. BlackBerry needs to break even or take a loss on phones if they want to gain customers. Once they build a base again, THEN they can up the price. People have no reason to buy a BlackBerry other than security and it's been proven time and time again, people don't care about security.

Posted via CB10
    ryanza likes this.
    10-20-15 11:08 AM
    $1000?!?!? Expect poor sales. BlackBerry can't expect Apple prices. BlackBerry needs to break even or take a loss on phones if they want to gain customers. Once they build a base again, THEN they can up the price. People have no reason to buy a BlackBerry other than security and it's been proven time and time again, people don't care about security.

Posted via CB10
    There is a lot of truth to what you say. There is definitely no way they can touch Apple territory. Nobody can. Let's see what they come up with.
    10-20-15 11:16 AM
    At the theoretical price of $1,000... i'm out. Sorry, but my 6 years hiatus from blackberry shall continue.

The price I would be willing to pay would be between $700 - $800 (with $800 including taxes).

The extra novelty of a keyboard along with otherwise not so premium specs does not impress me that much.
    10-20-15 11:26 AM
    If Chen really wants to kill the handset business why doesn't he just do it? Why would he play all these games?
    Well. Everyone said he was this genius CEO. So I thought that what seems like a train wreck for the hardware side of BlackBerry must be his master plan to make BlackBerry a software only company. Maybe he has to put on this show for certain members of the board to go along with what Chen ultimately wants.

Maybe I give him too much credit and over estimate his intelligence. Maybe this is just one huge out of control fiasco.

kbz1960 likes this.
    10-20-15 11:42 AM
    C$949, no fckin way! JC says they have to make money to continue producing BB device but I guess they intend to price themselves out of the market. For their 1st gen Android powered phone no way.. just like the Z10 ., gained no traction and thats the end of BB devices. I had thought if they can do it for C$699 even C$799 there might be some hope for BB
    10-20-15 11:45 AM
    People have no reason to buy a BlackBerry other than security and it's been proven time and time again, people don't care about security.

Posted via CB10
    If I want security, I can get the Blackphone for $799 which is more secure than the Priv (Chen admitted that)
    10-20-15 11:55 AM
    Has anyone seen this image? Is it for the UK or for Na
    Could this be Canadian MSRP for Priv?-img_20151020_130153.png

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 12:02 PM
    This is the truth, the problem is that BlackBerry needs the Priv to sell while it and it's spec's are still fresh, not when they are trying to clear stock and recoup the cost to build the devices.

In the land of Android the freshness of a product doesn't last long, only as long as it takes for another manufacturer to build a similar, better or newer device for half the price or less. Sure BlackBerry has its fancy qwerty keyboard but how long will that novelty last with the general buyer, joe average.
    Exactly my thoughts. The specs are already on par with other flagship devices, nothing really stands out. they need to capture market shares while there is enthusiasm for this device otherwise it will be outdated in just a few weeks.
    ryanza likes this.
    10-20-15 12:31 PM
    I'm guessing $650 as a ballpark, but with AT&T unlocked price would be $699
    IMO, There is NO WAY, they will price this above $700 US
    10-20-15 04:14 PM
    Ill pay 700. Not more than that tho cause it IS still an android phone....premium phone with a value brand o.s.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    10-20-15 04:21 PM
    If you spend $900 on an iPhone, you know you're going to get a few major OS upgrades over the years.

If the Slider running Android isn't a big enough success (which is a distinct possibility at this time) there wouldn't be much in the way of OS upgrades, open source or not. So, if you are buying this device, don't count on an Android N upgrade. It may never come (and with a totally secure locked bootloader, don't expect you can chuck Cyanogen onto it, either.)

If too many people take a "wait and see" approach to the Slider running Android, because they don't trust BlackBerry to support the device for a sufficient amount of time (for whatever reason) then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy: too few initial sales lead to market souring on the device which further diminishes sales.

Now, if BlackBerry said right now that "built into the price is confirmed upgrades to at least Android N" then they might not have so many people fearful of taking a chance on a higher-priced device.

If it is introduced at a price of $900 CDN, $650 USD, and some people buy it at those prices... then 60 days later they drop the price to $850 CDN and $600 USD, and then 30 days later they drop the price again to $800 CDN or $550 USD, etc. do you think that people who wouldn't pay the original price will finally buy it? Or must they introduce it at a low price for it to succeed at all?
    10-20-15 04:28 PM
    Why is everyone freaking out already? Unless it's the price on shop bb or the price that is sold outright by carriers everything should still be taken with a grain of salt.
    10-20-15 04:53 PM
146 ... 3456