Nope. $800 is the most I'm willing to pay. And even at that point it's more than what I'd ideally pay. at $950 they're probably taking home $650 which is insane... I'd like to support BlackBerry but dang... I'm not a multimillionaire..
    Yep. It's similar to a Moto X Pure, which is a $399 phone, but with curved edges on the screen and a physical keyboard. I don't really think of it as a BlackBerry, so...
    10-19-15 03:00 PM
    The reason the industry went to glass slabs is that they cheap to make, and cheap to fix.

A PKB, larger batter, and curved screen, big front facing stereo speakers, led indicator, etc all would add significant cost to what it costs to make a G4. Plus LG owns it's own fabrication facilities.

BB likely can't demand a great deal from FoxxConn like Apple or Samsung can. So if I had to guess, I would say that the Priv would cost at least 50% more to manufacture than a G4.

Heres a clue: The reason a device costs more than it's physical parts? Advertising (a joke with BB I know), labour to build, cost of shipping from China, R&D (drivers, software, security chip, maintaining code base, etc), QA (likely second biggest). None of these costs show up when iFixit does a tear down.

It makes sense to do the estimate in USD, as that is what all their manufacturing costs will be incurred in. Plus the US MSRP is easy to relate to the canadian MSRP. I thing it will be $600-700 USD. If they are selling the passport SE at $550 USD, then they PRIV will be more, because it costs more to make, because it is a slider, and learning curve with Android. I would guess $625 USD, which puts it cheaper than the s6 edge (year old flagship).

$625 USD in CAD is $814 which they will likely round to $800. Which i think is reasonable. Yes you could argue that they should sell it for $500 in hopes of moving a ton of devices, but they won't. If they wanted to move a ton of devices they would be selling the Passport SE at $300, by that logic.

People who can afford buy phones outright won't notice the difference between $800 and $900. Those that can't afford an outright purchase, will get the phone subsidized anyway.

I'll be buying it subsidized, because Telus only offers $5 discount/month with BYOD in SK, so if you do the math, it make much more financial sense to get the subsidized phone. I suspect the Priv will be $200 subsidized for the first few months anyway.
    10-19-15 03:01 PM
    I consider the Priv to be closer to the Edge than the Edge Plus.
    Well then I guess you'd save $125 dollars if you don't want a keyboard......

To be honest I don't know where the BlackBerry BRAND ranks in the market, among users. I "think" most see Apple at the top with Samsung somewhere below. Is BlackBerry somewhere with HTC, Motorola, LG..... or are they down below those.

Being a "premium" brand... requires you to offer premium products and services. And Chen hasn't exactly outlined how the company know for building their business on the cheap little BlackBerry Curve of yesteryear, is really a premium product today.
    10-19-15 03:14 PM
    Think twice about doing that. You can get MUCH better monthly plans without. At least for me, assuming Telus is selling for $950 which is around the same as the S6 Edge 64GB (yes, BlackBerry priced it against that with a 32GB unit):

$470 upfront + 2 years of $20 premium phone fee + 2 years of 4GB/unlim at $85 = $2990 total cost excl taxes

My current plan is $49.50+tax for 5GB/Unlim , on Koodo, same service, $950 + 2 years of 5GB/unlim at $49.5 = $2138 total cost excl taxes

There's no "subsidy" here, just financing.
    Sadly that's the only option for me. no way i can put $900 on a phone in one shot. i just have to sign up for a plan and subsidize/finance the phone. My only hope is that i can get a good deal through my employer.
    10-19-15 03:28 PM
    Well then I guess you'd save $125 dollars if you don't want a keyboard......

To be honest I don't know where the BlackBerry BRAND ranks in the market, among users. I "think" most see Apple at the top with Samsung somewhere below. Is BlackBerry somewhere with HTC, Motorola, LG..... or are they down below those.

Being a "premium" brand... requires you to offer premium products and services. And Chen hasn't exactly outlined how the company know for building their business on the cheap little BlackBerry Curve of yesteryear, is really a premium product today.
    If I didn't want a keyboard I wouldn't even get BB10 in the first place. I was actually that close to go Android if not for the microSD corrupting Galaxy Relay.
    10-19-15 03:29 PM
    I consider the Priv to be closer to the Edge than the Edge Plus.
    The maximum I'm whiling to pay for the priv is at Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, so far rumours seem to be that it will be over that wich is seriously disapointing.
    10-19-15 03:47 PM
    The edge + is $960 on Telus's website. I would bet money that the Priv will not be more money than that.
    10-19-15 03:54 PM
    Not believing this one bit until I see the price on shop bb
    10-19-15 03:58 PM
    Comparing the note 5 / edge + / Priv... Priv wins every sector except the cpu.

Priv has the hub, pkb , bb10 virtual keyboard, bigger battery , sdcard , pure android , secruity/privacy.

If its 950 CAD , the logical thing would be to pay for the Priv.
    10-19-15 04:00 PM
    Not believing this one bit until I see the price on shop bb
    Ingram Micro is BlackBerry's distributor.
    10-19-15 04:09 PM
    Comparing the note 5 / edge + / Priv... Priv wins every sector except the cpu.

Priv has the hub, pkb , bb10 virtual keyboard, bigger battery , sdcard , pure android , secruity/privacy.

If its 950 CAD , the logical thing would be to pay for the Priv.
    Yeah, but no way I'm paying full retail. Black Friday it is...
    10-19-15 04:17 PM
    The passport on shopblackberry has only dropped 100 since its been released. Wouldn't expect too much!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-19-15 04:22 PM
    Dang if it's that much I will have no choice but to wait

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 04:23 PM
    The passport on shopblackberry has only dropped 100 since its been released. Wouldn't expect too much!
    And this is reason #3142 why I hate North American telco. Competition is pathetic.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    10-19-15 04:27 PM
    And just like that, Samsung is dropping the S6 Edge Plus by $100.

Promotions from Samsung!
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    10-19-15 04:53 PM
    Cause its not selling :P
    Mikey88Chaos likes this.
    10-19-15 04:55 PM
    Think twice about doing that. You can get MUCH better monthly plans without. At least for me, assuming Telus is selling for $950 which is around the same as the S6 Edge 64GB (yes, BlackBerry priced it against that with a 32GB unit):

$470 upfront + 2 years of $20 premium phone fee + 2 years of 4GB/unlim at $85 = $2990 total cost excl taxes

My current plan is $49.50+tax for 5GB/Unlim , on Koodo, same service, $950 + 2 years of 5GB/unlim at $49.5 = $2138 total cost excl taxes

There's no "subsidy" here, just financing.
    Depends where you live. In SK Telus only gives 10% for BYOD which is pathetic. So my with $55 unlimited plan that would only save me $5.50 x 24 = 132 in savings.

Even at your $20 premium, that is $240 over two years. Usually they are going to discount the device by more than that.

Now if you have a grandfathered contract, that you will lose if you renew to upgrade, that is a different story. My $55 unlimited is no longer available, but I phoned Telus and the guy told me it showed up as renewable, which I hope is still the case in a month when Priv is out.
    10-19-15 05:47 PM
    Depends where you live. In SK Telus only gives 10% for BYOD which is pathetic. So my with $55 unlimited plan that would only save me $5.50 x 24 = 132 in savings.

Even at your $20 premium, that is $240 over two years. Usually they are going to discount the device by more than that.

Now if you have a grandfathered contract, that you will lose if you renew to upgrade, that is a different story. My $55 unlimited is no longer available, but I phoned Telus and the guy told me it showed up as renewable, which I hope is still the case in a month when Priv is out.
    Well my case is a bit "special"... it's actually the Koodo MB/SK plan in ON in the old $55 - 10% BYOD. Officially in ON the phone/plan combo will cost WAY more.

I don't want to go through all the trouble to get the plan again. :P
    10-19-15 06:27 PM
    And just like that, Samsung is dropping the S6 Edge Plus by $100.

Promotions from Samsung!
    Cause it's old already. And what is the amount of storage for the cheap price?
    10-19-15 06:42 PM
    I'm getting Google alerts with articles saying $900 USD. The longer BlackBerry waits to announce it, the more people hear these rumors and decide against it.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-19-15 06:47 PM
    I'm getting Google alerts with articles saying $900 USD. The longer BlackBerry waits to announce it, the more people hear these rumors and decide against it.
    This one is definitely impossible considering the distributor MSRP in Canada is selling it for $949.
    10-19-15 06:50 PM
    This one is definitely impossible considering the distributor MSRP in Canada is selling it for $949.
    agreed but his comment re. delay is pertinent
    10-19-15 06:54 PM
    The reason the industry went to glass slabs is that they cheap to make, and cheap to fix.
    They're not cheap to fix. They're disposable and easy to assemble as they just glue everything together.
    10-19-15 06:56 PM
    Would it really be 300+ over where passport was introduced? That sounds silly and frankly dead on arrival from the stand point of inability to compete with the other flagships... probably launches in the 6-700 range. it does have to make sense from a business and pricepoint for the consumer that they allegedly don't care about.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 07:00 PM
    Friend from telus says the world wide release date is nov6th
    10-19-15 07:01 PM
146 1234 ...