While I appreciate it is not what is being marketed:-should a more accurate price comparison between the current HTC, Samsung, Apple devices consider the cost of the Priv without the PKB?

Then:- is BlackBerry able to quickly launch an Android Device minus the PKB?
    Should the PKB be considered an innovative addition and those who want it pay for it?

In other words, can there be a market for TWO BlackBerry Android Devices?

Comments?????
    10-25-15 12:12 AM
    Should the PKB be considered an innovative addition and those who want it pay for it?
    Those who want it may want to pay for it. Problem, I'm afraid, that there's not so many people who want it. It would be wrong thinking that everyone who wants a PKB wants BlackBerry PKB and that's at least because there's no innovation in the BlackBerry PKB for one, if not two, decades. The PKB in the Priv looks indifferently to every BlackBerry of the year 2005 or 1995. And we're not living in 1995 anymore.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    10-25-15 12:28 AM
    Those who want it may want to pay for it. Problem, I'm afraid, that there's not so many people who want it. It would be wrong thinking that everyone who wants a PKB wants BlackBerry PKB and that's at least because there's no innovation in the BlackBerry PKB for one, if not two, decades. The PKB in the Priv looks indifferently to every BlackBerry of the year 2005 or 1995. And we're not living in 1995 anymore.

Starting with the Passport, the PKB is touch enabled and can be used to swipe, pinch to zoom, etc. That's a significant innovation that you clearly missed. It's also included in the Priv.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport on CB10
    Joao Oliveira and hawklet00 like this.
    10-25-15 01:21 AM
    I agree with OP. They should have an all touch model. It would lighter, thinner and probably more popular too.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 01:25 AM
    I don't know what you guys are talking about...there is an all touch model. Just don't slide down the keyboard.

Canadian  вιaсĸвεггч ᕵαssρσяτ SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 01:27 AM
    I agree with OP. They should have an all touch model. It would lighter, thinner and probably more popular too.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think I would have pre ordered the priv if it was touch only.

That pkb is one of the things making it stand out. That's just me though
    larry5 and kthhrrsn like this.
    10-25-15 01:38 AM
    I'd be more interested in one without the PKU. To get a phone with a PKU and just never slide it out is a waste of money, extra weight and just plain ludicrous. Was interested in the Priv until I really thought about that PKU I'd probably get real tired of real quick. Love the concept of an android BB combo on one device tho. VKB's are much better than they used to be and it took me long enough to get good and used to them, not looking back now.
    10-25-15 01:38 AM
    No way I would have bought the Priv without the PKB. 99.9% of the phones on the market don't have a keyboard. What would be useful about having another one?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-25-15 02:24 AM

All the Back To The Future movies have now occurred in the past, so there is hope!

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 02:57 AM
    So if the cost of a Priv without a PKB comes in at the same price as the original are you buying? Because even though I already have my Priv on order...if one come out in the spring VKB only for the same price I would have bought that too.

Canadian  вιaсĸвεггч ᕵαssρσяτ SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 08:51 AM
    No change in BlackBerry keyboard... yeah, still no front facing period key- back in the day this was excused as in structured typing you can use space-space etc... however now in our Web based world the period key is used a TON in situations where double space is no good and pressing shift then M just adds an annoying step...

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:09 AM
    No way I would have bought the Priv without the PKB. 99.9% of the phones on the market don't have a keyboard. What would be useful about having another one?

BlackBerry should have both. Why ignore the biggest part of the market. If the software is worthy, it will be just as worthy on a all touch.

To me, the absence of an all touch demonstrates a lack of confidence that BlackBerry can compete with other phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:41 AM
    BlackBerry should have both. Why ignore the biggest part of the market. If the software is worthy, it will be just as worthy on a all touch.

To me, the absence of an all touch demonstrates a lack of confidence that BlackBerry can compete with other phones.

Posted via CB10
    If bb announced a touchscreen priv only, then you could really say "why get a priv when there's a bunch of other android handsets to choose from"

I'm only getting this phone because of the physical keyboard. I'll probably use the touchscreen to reply to quick messages but in a situation like this where I'm writing something out, a physical keyboard would be ideal.
    jas1978 likes this.
    10-25-15 10:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    100% that's the only reason I'm getting the Priv. Had BlackBerry released a full touch BB10 with updated specs I would've jumped all over it.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 12:56 PM
    If bb announced a touchscreen priv only, then you could really say "why get a priv when there's a bunch of other android handsets to choose from"

I'm only getting this phone because of the physical keyboard. I'll probably use the touchscreen to reply to quick messages but in a situation like this where I'm writing something out, a physical keyboard would be ideal.
    Not saying that they should not make a slider. They should make one. They should make an Android Classic and Passport too .

I fail to see why BlackBerry should ignore the larger market. I might want an all touch PRIV or I might not but the odds are that many potential buyers will reject the PRIV because they do not want to pay extra for or do not need a PKB.
    10-25-15 05:04 PM
    Seriously?

Priv minus PKB = just another Android slab that won't be competitive in price or specs with Samsung, LG, or even HTC. BB10 at least fills a need for the folks who'd likt to upgrade from their Z's, but Android? No chance. Zero buys.

Posted via CB10
    kbrant64, kthhrrsn and MO3iusONE like this.
    10-25-15 05:11 PM
    If you want a Priv without PKB, buy a Samsung. The combination makes it stick out.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 05:17 PM
    The cost of manufacturing the physical keyboard and slider mechanism is not at fault for the Privs premium price, and removing it also removes what is unique for devices in the Android market. Securing Android is where the high costs come into play and why most Android device makers don't bother to do so. This unique process has been used for BB10 devices and now Blackberry has adapted it for Android use.
    Quote: "BlackBerry's Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform."

BlackBerry highlights how security is embedded in their hardware | CrackBerry.com
    Here's how BlackBerry secured Android on the Priv | CrackBerry.com
    10-25-15 05:24 PM
    Blaze hinted at another BlackBerry Android. Said it was next on the list. He also made it seem like he's either seen it, or has used it.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 06:15 PM
    They should of made a passport with no keyboard. I love the passport, but y stop there

10-25-15 06:31 PM
    Not saying that they should not make a slider. They should make one. They should make an Android Classic and Passport too .

I fail to see why BlackBerry should ignore the larger market. I might want an all touch PRIV or I might not but the odds are that many potential buyers will reject the PRIV because they do not want to pay extra for or do not need a PKB.
    Yeah but I don't think people will say "oh.. It has a keyboard? Well why? How much would it have been without the keyboard?"

"oh, it has a big front speaker? And a front facing camera?? Well I don't need any of those things, this phone shouldn't have any of these things and it should be priced less"

This isn't a car where you can add or take away features.

I mean what you see is what you get.

Blackberry is on thin ice, if this phone sells well then maybe blackberry can focus on releasing a passport version of Android or something
    10-25-15 06:51 PM
    Yeah but I don't think people will say "oh.. It has a keyboard? Well why? How much would it have been without the keyboard?"

"oh, it has a big front speaker? And a front facing camera?? Well I don't need any of those things, this phone shouldn't have any of these things and it should be priced less"

This isn't a car where you can add or take away features.

I mean what you see is what you get.

Blackberry is on thin ice, if this phone sells well then maybe blackberry can focus on releasing a passport version of Android or something
    If BlackBerry is on thin ice, it is because they think there is a reasonably sized market for PKB phones. Most companies would not put all of their eggs in one basket.

There is a reason why Samsung etc. are not making this phone or the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 08:27 PM
    If BlackBerry is on thin ice, it is because they think there is a reasonably sized market for PKB phones. Most companies would not put all of their eggs in one basket.

There is a reason why Samsung etc. are not making this phone or the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    The majority of my friends and coworkers who are long time Android users are enthusiastic about the Priv, many of them left Blackberry because of the app gap and dearly miss using a physical keyboard. As well one coworker who never used a Blackberry device ever said she would jump at the chance to own a Priv because it reminded her of the her old Sidekick and Palm Pre devices which she loved using. The market is there for Android physical keyboards the Priv just happens to tic both the all touch and pkb boxes at the same time and gives the user a choice of how they want to use it.This saves Blackberry from spending double the cost of manufacturing two separate devices.
    10-25-15 08:58 PM
    I don't think I would have pre ordered the priv if it was touch only.

That pkb is one of the things making it stand out. That's just me though
    I agree
    10-25-15 09:41 PM
    The majority of my friends and coworkers who are long time Android users are enthusiastic about the Priv, many of them left Blackberry because of the app gap and dearly miss using a physical keyboard. As well one coworker who never used a Blackberry device ever said she would jump at the chance to own a Priv because it reminded her of the her old Sidekick and Palm Pre devices which she loved using. The market is there for Android physical keyboards the Priv just happens to tic both the all touch and pkb boxes at the same time and gives the user a choice of how they want to use it.This saves Blackberry from spending double the cost of manufacturing two separate devices.
    I hope you are right ... we shall see. The die is cast. No more coulda shoulda. I wish we could bet on this.
    10-25-15 09:56 PM