Hey Guys,

I just saw the DTEK50 announcement and it immediately came into my mind:

Do you think there will be a possibility to use the (almost) useless mute-key on the Blackberry Priv as a convenience-key? That would be a huge addtition in terms of productivity! The mute-key used to be useful under BB10 but under Android that is not quite the case, at least for me.

So, what do you guys think?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-26-16 11:50 AM
    I doubt it, but who knows?
    07-26-16 12:10 PM
    I would hope so. I miss being able to pause my music quickly without having to unlock the screen. FYI, the button on the headphones works to pause playback in the Podbean app, so I assume this is also possible with the mute button on the phone itself?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-26-16 03:43 PM
    I use this app. My convenience key is now my pause / play button .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uttonsremapper

07-26-16 06:27 PM
    Oh that's a NICE find. Thanks.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-26-16 07:22 PM
    So what is the name of that key, for purposes of settings?

07-26-16 07:25 PM

Much appreciated!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android from my Verizon BlackBerry Priv
    07-26-16 08:55 PM
    So what is the name of that key, for purposes of settings?

It's listed as "VOLUME_MUTE" close to the bottom of the "Other" list.

Event4izon and bozzg86 like this.
    07-26-16 09:01 PM
    I use the app and have mapped the button as a real mute button that changes the sound profile.
    07-26-16 10:18 PM
    Hey Guys,

I just saw the DTEK50 announcement and it immediately came into my mind:

Do you think there will be a possibility to use the (almost) useless mute-key on the Blackberry Priv as a convenience-key? That would be a huge addtition in terms of productivity! The mute-key used to be useful under BB10 but under Android that is not quite the case, at least for me.

So, what do you guys think?
    I think BB is content with us Priv owners using the Productivity tag on right or left side of screen to access hub, calendar, etc...
    07-26-16 10:30 PM
    It's listed as "VOLUME_MUTE" close to the bottom of the "Other" list.

Thanks. One of the more useful posts I have seen on CrackBerry in some time.

00stryder likes this.
    07-26-16 11:16 PM
    Okay that works awesome. Long press to open dialer. Nice.

Thanks again. Great tip!!

07-26-16 11:20 PM
    I use the app and have mapped the button as a real mute button that changes the sound profile.
    Where can I find the sound profile? I've searched but can't find itn want the phone to go directly to the do not disturb profile.

Great thread btw

07-27-16 06:02 AM
    Watching through the DTEK 50 videos, I think the same will be added to PRIV, on how to customise the button on top of using it to mute etc in a call.

Posted via handy dandy PRIV
    07-27-16 06:12 AM
    Yep. I saw that in the video. Surely Priv will have th same.

07-27-16 07:43 AM
    Sweet tip. Trying to get it to launch NOAA radar app. Anybody getting it to launch apps like this ?
    07-27-16 03:56 PM
    Where can I find the sound profile? I've searched but can't find itn want the phone to go directly to the do not disturb profile.

Great thread btw

In the Action, select Other -> Shortcut -> Setting shortcut -> Do not disturb.
    07-28-16 09:46 AM
    In the Action, select Other -> Shortcut -> Setting shortcut -> Do not disturb.
    This takes me to the dnd settings page. How do I get it to map directly to put the phone in to dnd?

07-28-16 10:41 AM
    This takes me to the dnd settings page. How do I get it to map directly to put the phone in to dnd?

Same question here

07-28-16 10:45 AM
    I set it to open Tasker and made it do a DND setting. There may be an easier way but I couldnt figure it out.
    07-28-16 01:31 PM

This a truly useful app!

In addition to remapping the convenience key, it also lets you remap any key on the keyboard!

For instance you could remap a long-press of the letter 'N' to take you to the hub, and it works no matter what app you are in.

My only concern is that it effectively has the capabilities of a keylogger. What guarantees do we have that it is not sending keystroke information (passwords, etc.) to the cloud?

Michael

gizmo21 likes this.
    07-28-16 05:49 PM
    This a truly useful app!

In addition to remapping the convenience key, it also lets you remap any key on the keyboard!

For instance you could remap a long-press of the letter 'N' to take you to the hub, and it works no matter what app you are in.

My only concern is that it effectively has the capabilities of a keylogger. What guarantees do we have that it is not sending keystroke information (passwords, etc.) to the cloud?

Michael

Would Dtek catch this and send a notification that the app is doing something in the background?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 05:57 PM
    Would Dtek catch this and send a notification that the app is doing something in the background?

Posted via CB10
    You have to grant the app permission to read every keystroke. Otherwise how is it going to know when you're holding down the convenience key?

As for preventing an app from transmitting stuff to the Internet, as far as I know that is one of the permissions you cannot revoke in Android.

IMO that's really because the Google doesn't want people blocking ads or interfering with its own data collection activities.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this - the ability to deny network access would make a lot of apps much more secure.

Michael

FF22 and gizmo21 like this.
    07-28-16 09:20 PM
    @rjk123 @PriSki it does open up the dnd setup page. I thought it would set the phone to dnd mode directly. Sorry bruh.
    07-29-16 04:16 AM
    This a truly useful app!

Michael

I agree. It is more poweful than the stock shortcut in the point that it can launch any app no matter where you are BUT doing so somehow mess up the touch sensitivity of the keyboard. I tried and I cant do the scrolling on the keyboard any more. Turned off the app' service, things go back to normal. So, it should really be used as an extention for the middle key.
    Plus, it requires a permission to "observe your input including your credit card information and password". I deleted the app the moment I found out this.
    Last edited by 3yE; 07-29-16 at 04:50 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-29-16 04:23 AM
66 123