Also, you did not reinstall the OS. You did a factory reset.
    Technically, yes, it's only the Data and Cache that are formatted since system is read-only. You're really splitting hairs, though. It's for sure not worth getting upset or distracting a thread about.

I'll assume that's the question you were asking in order to keep this a productive thread. So yes, a factory reset doesn't rewrite the system files, but in Android, no user information is stored there.
    Trisk333 likes this.
    11-18-15 01:09 PM
    I see we are throwing sand in the sand box.

I have had the G1 the Mytouch G2, and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

And you can reinstall the OS when you force it to wipe your phone and rest everything to the "straight out of the box" settings.

I am not saying I don't expect updates, but to update every other week was ridiculous.

And yes- 3 phones bricked when I would get the updates pushed to my phone.

So....You Sir, are not nice. No one is calling you names or questioning your integrity.
    1. Ok. Even though outdated, they are still Android devices. mstrblueskys's post should tell you enough about why the Android devices in recently years are different.
    2. That is NOT re-installing OS. That's why I asked if you even know what you are doing. What you do is basically clear cache and data partition. You do not touch the System partition(s).
    If you flash a ROM, then that can be consider re-installing OS. And in that case, you shouldn't complain for an unstable system.
    3. Not to mention that the monthly (NOT 2 weeks) security patches only started this year's Aug, I think you should be happy with them to combat serious vulnerabilities.
    4. It is not easier to get a device bricked. If the update package is bad - which is the only reason for bricking - then there should be a wide-spread news, which there isn't. Chance are you did something wrong.
    5. Because what you mentioned is so unlikely and sounds so much like those FUD-spreading guys that I have to assume so.
    11-18-15 01:31 PM
    Technically, yes, it's only the Data and Cache that are formatted since system is read-only. You're really splitting hairs, though. It's for sure not worth getting upset or distracting a thread about.

I'll assume that's the question you were asking in order to keep this a productive thread. So yes, a factory reset doesn't rewrite the system files, but in Android, no user information is stored there.
    You're right and my apologies. I am here to help new users to android :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-18-15 01:59 PM
    1. Ok. Even though outdated, they are still Android devices. mstrblueskys's post should tell you enough about why the Android devices in recently years are different.
    Du-hu-oode! If you're going to get on his case for not reading mstrblueskys's (my) post (yet - T_studios hasn't been active in this thread after his post, so a) cut him some slack), the very least you're doing is acknowledging that we've gone over things already and that posts calling T_studios out for him judging new android phones on the assumptions and experiences of old Android phones is not really what this thread is intended for!

So... did you have a question?
    11-18-15 02:13 PM
    So... did you have a question?
    To answer your question: no, I come to this thread to answer.
    Hate to see those wrong info about Android being spreading
    Last edited by Dang Nguyen1; 11-18-15 at 09:27 PM.
    11-18-15 02:17 PM
    hi great thread

right my little problem................I want to use some ringtones I have saved on my sd card for emails,txt,and bbm messages but for some reason I cant seem to.i have changed my ringtone for phone calls and used one I have on my sd card but for the other things they don't show up ? very strange any ideas............thanks
    Two things you need to do for this.

1 make sure your files are in mp3 format for better compatibility

2 copy your ring tones from your sdcard and put them in the "Notifications" folder inside your device storage.

DenverRalphy likes this.
    11-18-15 05:06 PM
    hi great thread

right my little problem................I want to use some ringtones I have saved on my sd card for emails,txt,and bbm messages but for some reason I cant seem to.i have changed my ringtone for phone calls and used one I have on my sd card but for the other things they don't show up ? very strange any ideas............thanks
    It depends on how the app was developed. Some apps don't utilize the ability to choose from all mp3/media files located on an Android device (which may seem ideal, but for those device owners who have thousands of music files, you've got a ton of scrolling ahead of you) and rely solely upon the Notifications folder. In which case you'll have to copy/move the desired ringtone to the Notifications folder. Some apps with notifications (typically 3rd party apps) will give you an option to add folders to choose from. But that's developer dependant.
    11-18-15 05:30 PM
    Two things you need to do for this.

1 make sure your files are in mp3 format for better compatibility

2 copy your ring tones from your sdcard and put them in the "Notifications" folder inside your device storage.

I think there's some isolated issues with memory cards that have come out of BB10 needing to be reformatted to FAT32 to work properly in the Priv.
    Not sure if that is something that applies here. Probably way off the mark
    11-18-15 06:34 PM
    I think there's some isolated issues with memory cards that have come out of BB10 needing to be reformatted to FAT32 to work properly in the Priv.
    Not sure if that is something that applies here. Probably way off the mark
    It usually is how it works on Android, plus is better to have those in the device memory.

11-19-15 12:15 AM
    It depends on how the app was developed. Some apps don't utilize the ability to choose from all mp3/media files located on an Android device (which may seem ideal, but for those device owners who have thousands of music files, you've got a ton of scrolling ahead of you) and rely solely upon the Notifications folder. In which case you'll have to copy/move the desired ringtone to the Notifications folder. Some apps with notifications (typically 3rd party apps) will give you an option to add folders to choose from. But that's developer dependant.
    ok right all done and seems to work ....thanks
    11-19-15 12:36 AM
    I am!

But if I understand it, I'd have to pay for Red. Is that not right? Haha, I still don't know why you would want YouTube Music, Play Music, and YouTube Red. Seems like they're the same features.
    Red is included as part of the Google Play Music subscription.

For me, I dig Red because it means ad-free YouTube videos. For others, its because they listen to music through YouTube and can now do so offline.
    11-19-15 12:39 AM
    Just FYI, the YouTube background play looks like a no go unless you pay for a YouTube Red subscription.

Or use Firefox.

11-19-15 12:51 AM
87 ... 234