I think background and offline is only an option for YouTube Red subscribers.
    It may be a change since the YouTube red app was released. I don't pay YouTube anything, so is likely related to the features of the app in dissent countries rather than a subscription.
    11-18-15 06:42 AM
    How does it feel in the hand?

And does it really get that hot?

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    It's a great phone to hold. The back is soft and grippy, and you wouldnt know it had a keyboard tucked away unless someone told you. Its not slippery at all. The only complaint is that because I hold the phone lower, if I dont adjust before sliding the phone open, it gets pretty top heavy.

It gets warm. I don't know that I have had an Android phone that didn't heat up under heavier use. I almost never even notice it. These are amazing processors that don't have fans to cool them. You're bound to feel heat at some point.
    11-18-15 06:47 AM
    I'm a current BB10 user but I'm considering the Priv or iPhone 6S. What does Android have to compare to Homekit - are there any easy to use apps that allow voice and geofencing control of smart lights (Hue), locks (August), thermostat (Ecobee or Nest) etc. all from one app?
    Not sure exactly what homekit does, but the google app does most of what you're talking about with voice control.

I know that, depending on which hub you are using, the makers have a dedicated android app. I can't tell you what each does, but you shouldn't feel unsupported on Android.
    11-18-15 06:50 AM
    You may want to ask that question on Android Central as it's more likely someone there will know if what you want exists.
    From the top of my head i dont think it does on Android, but cant be 100% sure
    Haha, Probably actually head over to the Connectedly forums. I can do well for Android info, but Smart home stuff is a bit new to me. I do have the Nest, but that's it.
    11-18-15 06:52 AM
    hi great thread

right my little problem................I want to use some ringtones I have saved on my sd card for emails,txt,and bbm messages but for some reason I cant seem to.i have changed my ringtone for phone calls and used one I have on my sd card but for the other things they don't show up ? very strange any ideas............thanks
    Can't think of anything right now. Could you move it using a file managing app so it's on internal storage, too?
    11-18-15 06:57 AM
    I have had several android phones previously.

I hated all the bloatware that was on them, and also hated that every two weeks a security patch had to be installed because Google can't make their operating system safe - and the other big issue I had was when they did send out the security patch it more often than not made my phone crash. Which either required me to do a reinstall of the operating system; losing all my information or it completely bricked my phone and I had to get a new one...I had 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's brick on me from Google's security patch updates in less than a year.

So; I hate android and am very upset that BB is moving in that direction.

Hopefully this phone will bring people back to BB, and revive the company in a way that people will be interested in the true BB experience.
    Was there a question here?
    11-18-15 06:58 AM
    Just FYI, the YouTube background play looks like a no go unless you pay for a YouTube Red subscription.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I definitely don't pay for YouTube. And it was an option before YouTube red.
    11-18-15 06:58 AM
    I definitely don't pay for YouTube. And it was an option before YouTube red.
    Are you subscribed to Google Play Music?
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-18-15 07:33 AM
    Was there a question here?
    The android experience I had was like this except for the bricked phones. Can it be addressed that the Priv IS, or IS NOT, any DIFFERENT from this? It might be too soon to know. The bloatware, the forced many, many apps running in the background, the 'I'm Sorry, We've Stopped Functioning' messages like the user should know what to do with that information, you wanted to know why BlackBerry users hate android, you probably will be hearing some statements you have no answer for.

If BlackBerry 10 ends and my phones no longer work someday, I'm not going back to that. Good ol' BlackBerry 7 is allright by me, but I expect that option to end someday, too.

With BlackBerry, my phone belongs to ME, and I don't have to jump through hoops every day to make it work, or ever.

IT JUST WORKS.

And if the Priv doesn't have it yet maybe it can get there from here. That's how it will sell, to be different from other android phones, come to Priv, leave your headaches behind...
    T_Studios likes this.
    11-18-15 09:22 AM
    Just FYI, the YouTube background play looks like a no go unless you pay for a YouTube Red subscription.

Yes, as other have mentioned, just use Firefox browser with the YouTube mobile site..

Posted via CB10
    Daniel Grappone likes this.
    11-18-15 10:02 AM
    I am!

But if I understand it, I'd have to pay for Red. Is that not right? Haha, I still don't know why you would want YouTube Music, Play Music, and YouTube Red. Seems like they're the same features.
    11-18-15 11:03 AM
    The android experience I had was like this except for the bricked phones. Can it be addressed that the Priv IS, or IS NOT, any DIFFERENT from this? It might be too soon to know. The bloatware, the forced many, many apps running in the background, the 'I'm Sorry, We've Stopped Functioning' messages like the user should know what to do with that information, you wanted to know why BlackBerry users hate android, you probably will be hearing some statements you have no answer for.

If BlackBerry 10 ends and my phones no longer work someday, I'm not going back to that. Good ol' BlackBerry 7 is allright by me, but I expect that option to end someday, too.

With BlackBerry, my phone belongs to ME, and I don't have to jump through hoops every day to make it work, or ever.

IT JUST WORKS.

And if the Priv doesn't have it yet maybe it can get there from here. That's how it will sell, to be different from other android phones, come to Priv, leave your headaches behind...
    Okay, I think I understand what you're asking. You must have left Android a while ago or you must have had some average carrier devices before your BB10 device.

Android is Android. Blackberry does a great job with it's minimal take on the OS. It's really smooth and everything works. I haven't had an app crash and even though I have the AT&T branded version of the phone, they don't force me to use anything, and I have yet to find an app that's on the phone that I can't disable.

Android really isn't the headache it used to be. The Priv is a very well put together and high end device. It's similar in specs to the LG G4 or Nexus 5x. It will definitely be able to run the next couple versions of Android if Blackberry decides to support it that long.

Not sure what hoops you were jumping through in Android. It's incredibly fleshed out now. It doesn't work like BB10, but that's why they released an Android phone.
    darkehawke likes this.
    11-18-15 11:13 AM
    After more digging, it does seem like it's due to my all access pass. Sorry guys.

Do the firefox thing. Haha
    11-18-15 11:15 AM
    Great thread very informative!
    darkehawke and mstrblueskys like this.
    11-18-15 11:38 AM
    I have had several android phones previously.

I hated all the bloatware that was on them, and also hated that every two weeks a security patch had to be installed because Google can't make their operating system safe - and the other big issue I had was when they did send out the security patch it more often than not made my phone crash. Which either required me to do a reinstall of the operating system; losing all my information or it completely bricked my phone and I had to get a new one...I had 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's brick on me from Google's security patch updates in less than a year.
    You, sir, pls stop lying and/or intently spreading FUD .

1. What kind of android devices you had? I seriously doubt you have any.
    2. Blame the bloatware thing on OEM (to a lesser degree) and Carriers (mostly)
    3. You want the OS safe AND doesn't have to update? Unless the OS is having only 1 user, which is you, it is impossible.
    4. How the heck you reinstall the OS? Do you even know what you are doing?
    5. Stop breaking your phones.
    11-18-15 11:46 AM
    Returned Priv

If I wanted an Android phone I could have bought one a lot cheaper than the Priv. No matter , what being said about the phone IT IS NOT A BLACKBERRY. After fighting with the Priv for a week I returned it to Telus. I guess I should go get a Passport. Looks like it will be the last surviving pure BlackBerry. I found this Z30 to work just fine. The Priv. Demands that you park your whole phone and systems to Mr. Google in all aspects. I don't want that.

Posted via CB10
    T_Studios likes this.
    11-18-15 11:50 AM
    You, sir, pls stop lying and/or intently spreading FUD .

1. What kind of android devices you had? I seriously doubt you have any.
    2. Blame the bloatware thing on OEM (to a lesser degree) and Carriers (mostly)
    3. You want the OS safe AND doesn't have to update? Unless the OS is having only 1 user, which is you, it is impossible.
    4. How the heck you reinstall the OS? Do you even know what you are doing?
    5. Stop breaking your phones.
    I see we are throwing sand in the sand box.

I have had the G1 the Mytouch G2, and the Samsung Galaxy S3.

And you can reinstall the OS when you force it to wipe your phone and rest everything to the "straight out of the box" settings.

I am not saying I don't expect updates, but to update every other week was ridiculous.

And yes- 3 phones bricked when I would get the updates pushed to my phone.

So....You Sir, are not nice. No one is calling you names or questioning your integrity.
    11-18-15 12:27 PM
    Is it possible to be on a phone call, but still go out and look at a received text message? While still on the call of course.

Also, is there a note taker to add notes in the call app while a call is on speaker as well?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 12:33 PM
    Returned Priv

If I wanted an Android phone I could have bought one a lot cheaper than the Priv. No matter , what being said about the phone IT IS NOT A BLACKBERRY. After fighting with the Priv for a week I returned it to Telus. I guess I should go get a Passport. Looks like it will be the last surviving pure BlackBerry. I found this Z30 to work just fine. The Priv. Demands that you park your whole phone and systems to Mr. Google in all aspects. I don't want that.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I couldn't help you with the transition better. Though, I do believe it says "Blackberry" across the top of the device. It's not a BB OS device, and if that's what you meant, you're right.

Android does not require you to do your systems with Google, though it makes it very easy to do so. There are plenty of other options, which is considered a positive by many who use Android.

And there are a lot of cheaper Android phones on the market. This phone is for a niche group of users who want the physical keyboard in a sleek device with high end specs. It's the only player in this category and it is the first in a long time.

Again, sorry you struggled. The intent of this post was to help you transition and it appears that I didn't do a good job on your questions (though, looking back, it seems like you didn't ask any). Did you have any questions in your last post, though? I can't seem to find where you asked a constructive question about the Priv that I could have helped with.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-18-15 12:36 PM
    Is it possible to be on a phone call, but still go out and look at a received text message? While still on the call of course.

Also, is there a note taker to add notes in the call app while a call is on speaker as well?

Posted via CB10
    Yep! So in Android, if you're in a call, you would put it on speakerphone or however you were going to continue the call, press the 'home' button, which would bring you home. At any time you can quickly get back to the call by pulling down the place where you get your notifications and pressing on the notification for the phone call. You can use any app on your phone while in a call.

That includes notes. There is a note app built in, but many Android users favor OneNote or Google Keep because they sync with their existing systems.

TLR Yes and Yes
    11-18-15 12:41 PM
    I am!

But if I understand it, I'd have to pay for Red. Is that not right? Haha, I still don't know why you would want YouTube Music, Play Music, and YouTube Red. Seems like they're the same features.
    If you have a Google Play Music Subscription then YouTube Red comes with that .
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-18-15 12:44 PM
    Thanks! Had me worried in case I switched to the Priv. I was recently on a call with an Android user and they couldn't go and read a text without hanging up first, then calling me back. I thought that was quite odd for a phone in 2015. Now I know it was the user.

Posted via CB10
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    11-18-15 12:48 PM
    Sorry about what the other guy said. He was upset and didn't know how to handle it maturely.

I can tell you that Android has come a SUPER long way since the Galaxy S3, which, I'm guessing was the best phone out of the 3 you listed.

The reason the S3 was an unpleasant experience was because it ran the TouchWiz skin over Android. It offered a ton of features, but all of them were at the cost of performance and complicated the OS in many unnecessary ways.

The Priv has a very minimal take on stock Android. It's not nearly as bogged down as TouchWiz is. And now Android phones have the specs to support the OS and then a lot more. With the huge bump in specs and the more optimized OS, I'd like to think you'd have a MUCH better experience with Android if you were to give it a go today than you had 3 years ago.

Anyway, this thread was supposed to be a question-and-answer thread, so I'm sorry someone got upset with you. I'm trying to keep things positive in here! If you have any questions about anything else, please post!
    T_Studios likes this.
    11-18-15 12:50 PM
    Now I know it was the user.
    Seems like the student has become the master! Yeah, don't sweat that. I do it all the time. Android has done a lot of work in recent updates to address productivity and multitasking, though I'm pretty sure the phone thing has been there a while...
    11-18-15 12:53 PM
    I see we are throwing sand in the sand box.

And you can reinstall the OS when you force it to wipe your phone and rest everything to the "straight out of the box" settings.

I am not saying I don't expect updates, but to update every other week was ridiculous.

And yes- 3 phones bricked when I would get the updates pushed to my phone.

So....You Sir, are not nice. No one is calling you names or questioning your integrity.
    I've had many android phones as well including your G1 and S3. I've never had those problems or weekly updates let alone ones that bricked my phones. As a matter of fact I've never bricked when rooting.

Also, you did not reinstall the OS. You did a factory reset.

I'm not sure what you're doing to your phones but it's not normal. Perhaps you are really really unlucky

11-18-15 12:55 PM
87 1234