New to Blackberry and considering Priv but being pressured against Blackberry. Any thoughts on the Priv's EOL with Verizon? I liked the Classic as well, but its support was pulled so quickly I hardly got the chance to test drive it.
    08-24-16 11:46 AM
    New to Blackberry and considering Priv but being pressured against Blackberry. Any thoughts on the Priv's EOL with Verizon? I liked the Classic as well, but its support was pulled so quickly I hardly got the chance to test drive it.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...assic-1070955/

THINK TWICE
    08-24-16 12:04 PM
    08-24-16 12:37 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I need to clarify my question. I am now only considering Priv against non-BB phones because it's the only BB Verizon now sells. So part of my decision criteria is: what's the skinny on the Priv's likely EOL with Verizon?
    I had a long conversation with a seasoned Verizon support tech. He said the only Priv calls he's had to take are set-up assistance calls, no problem or troubleshooting calls. That still doesn't guarantee the Priv will be around for a while.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-24-16 12:57 PM
    well looks like it will get ANDRO7 and i can make a bet that's it. in real terms by the end of next year its gonna become pretty much obsolete.
    but when it comes to it it would be no different from any other supplier. look at htc, model turnover makes them obsolete in half a year almost.
    this is how i ended up with all bb previous devices perfectly working but useless. sad really
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-24-16 01:51 PM
    I ordered my Verizon branded PRIV the second I was able to do so and was one of the lucky few who got the $200 "loyalty" discount, so I was charged $520.

Our Verizon PRIVs don't seem to have the same issues as commonly was reported by others and even though we are still on Lollipop and have not received the last two security updates, my PRIV is still a solid device.

Knowing what I now know with the Verizon PRIVs, with who knows when we will see the updates, would I still get one? At $520, maybe not. At $400? Possibly.

The GS7 is still over $700, the GS6 $576 and both the v10 and G5 over $600 with the v10 coming in at $672. Considering those prices, even with a lack of MM, it might be worth it.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    08-24-16 03:34 PM
    I just got the Verizon PRIV for $408. Have it 24 hrs ,d so far so good. It won't replace my Passport as a daily workhorse put great second phone with apps that will bridge the growing deficiencies with BB10 apps.

I am not worried about obsolescence used the 9900 and then Q10 for appox two years after launch. Family still have 2 Z30's in use on Verizon.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 and pdstevens8 like this.
    08-24-16 03:50 PM
    Not sure what there is to debate about. Priv vs Android = android with physical kb and BB suite. so if those are valuable to you then get a priv. If not then get a cheaper android and update in 6 months. All phones are eol at some point. The priv and it's hw will last a good 2 yrs from now probably. Would probably run N fine, not sure about O. at least with BB you know you will most likely get N on your Priv. I am still waiting for M on my Samsung S5 with ATT but not Samsung's fault it is ATT.
    FF22 and pdstevens8 like this.
    08-24-16 03:56 PM
    I ordered my Verizon branded PRIV the second I was able to do so and was one of the lucky few who got the $200 "loyalty" discount, so I was charged $520.

Our Verizon PRIVs don't seem to have the same issues as commonly was reported by others and even though we are still on Lollipop and have not received the last two security updates, my PRIV is still a solid device.

Knowing what I now know with the Verizon PRIVs, with who knows when we will see the updates, would I still get one? At $520, maybe not. At $400? Possibly.

The GS7 is still over $700, the GS6 $576 and both the v10 and G5 over $600 with the v10 coming in at $672. Considering those prices, even with a lack of MM, it might be worth it.

Posted via CB PRIV.
    And reading around some Samsung forums on Android Central, Samsung is apparently not that great at supporting "older" devices with newer OS versions. Everything has its issues, I guess.

And the post above mine does seem to mention Samsung issues (whether them or carrier).
    08-24-16 04:23 PM
    From reading these forums and threads, I think Verizon EOL'd in June of this year.
    At least as far as updates and security patches.
    08-24-16 05:23 PM
    From reading these forums and threads, I think Verizon EOL'd in June of this year.
    At least as far as updates and security patches.
    So you think there's no more updates from Vzn on any Blackberry devices? Please clarify why you think so, thanks.
    08-24-16 07:27 PM
    And reading around some Samsung forums on Android Central, Samsung is apparently not that great at supporting "older" devices with newer OS versions. Everything has its issues, I guess.

And the post above mine does seem to mention Samsung issues (whether them or carrier).
    I've been reading the same... I'm really on the fence on if I should pick up the Priv since it's on sale or if I should wait a little bit longer and get the Note7. It really is disappointing... it makes me wish Samsung and BB would put a device out already, or see if there is anyone that has been able to or can get BB Android OS running on another device other than the DTEK and Priv.
    08-24-16 07:54 PM
    So you think there's no more updates from Vzn on any Blackberry devices? Please clarify why you think so, thanks.
    We've gotten no real info from Verizon. One person was told after filing a complaint that as long as it can make calls, get texts and access the web, that's all they have to provide.

I'm just going to stay with my phone until Blackberry releases Nougat and look at device options then,
    heepman likes this.
    08-24-16 07:56 PM
    I've been reading the same... I'm really on the fence on if I should pick up the Priv since it's on sale or if I should wait a little bit longer and get the Note7. It really is disappointing... it makes me wish Samsung and BB would put a device out already, or see if there is anyone that has been able to or can get BB Android OS running on another device other than the DTEK and Priv.
    seriously???? that's the whole point its no exclusive to bb, bb just seling android device soft is avaiable for every one Run all Blackberry Priv apps on any Android … | Android Development and Hacking
    08-24-16 08:32 PM
    seriously???? that's the whole point its no exclusive to bb, bb just seling android device soft is avaiable for every one Run all Blackberry Priv apps on any Android �€� | Android Development and Hacking
    You can put all the Priv apps on another phone, but it still wouldn't be the same as a Priv. The OS is hardened and customized.
    08-24-16 09:31 PM
    You can put all the Priv apps on another phone, but it still wouldn't be the same as a Priv. The OS is hardened and customized.
    comeON. bb runs VERY stock google android. as stock as it gets, they even left google stock wallpaper.
    08-24-16 10:17 PM
    I'm somewhat familiar with the OP's issue after being part of a recent thread of his. I think the threshold question is actually what will Verizon's primarily voice network in 2017. Will it still be CDMA? How about voLTE? If it is the latter, then it stands to reason a BlackBerry-designed (not reference) Rome/Mercury could be the way for the OP to go, if PKB is absolutely necessary. For me and my active Classic and Q10 devices (the latter being on Big Red), I might be able to hold out until 1st quarter 2017 for the Mercury debut. But the OP's needs are more immediate.

If the OP's top priorities are PKB and Verizon, then the Priv is a must. From what I can tell from the Verizon Priv owners here, the OP could likely get by without MM until 2017, when one would hope Big Red finally releases MM for the Priv.

Posted via CB10 on my VZW Z30
    08-24-16 10:31 PM
    Nobody knows anything, (except Verizon, and we're not even sure they know).
    However, they are terrible with updates for any device, particularly BB, and you end up with a non standard device.
    Unless there is a compelling reason to stay - ditch Verizon and go with a GSM carrier.
    And a Factory unlocked device, (be it BB, or some other brand).
    Sigewif likes this.
    08-25-16 07:44 AM
    Please note the devil at the end of his comment. We Verizon Priv owners are just frustrated about the lack of information from Verizon regarding Marshmallow software. The first two security updates came through fine but nothing since June. However, everyone's Priv running Lollipop seems to be running just fine and I anticipate that they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Of course there's features that everyone wants in Marshmallow, but the phone works in the meantime. You may hear some complaints about heat issues in these forums, but I believe that the vast majority of Verizon Privs don't have any major issues. Mine certainly does not.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    08-25-16 08:09 AM
    Nobody knows anything, (except Verizon, and we're not even sure they know).
    However, they are terrible with updates for any device, particularly BB, and you end up with a non standard device.
    Unless there is a compelling reason to stay - ditch Verizon and go with a GSM carrier.
    And a Factory unlocked device, (be it BB, or some other brand).
    Been with Verizon since 98. They have always updated devices (for my husband, he has Sammy) and for my BB, i always had to update it myself. Now that I have an Android, I got MM about 4 months ago. Feel sorry for those VZW owners of Privs who won't see it till next year....much less N.

And as for a compelling reason, if you live in the Northeast like I do, there IS NO OTHER CARRIER with signal quality like VZW and coverage. That is the reason i9 have stayed with them all these years. Choices can't be made willy-nilly. People have to decide what's the most important. SO I agree with you, decide whether the MM is more important than your coverage and service.
    pdstevens8, FF22, Wezard and 1 others like this.
    08-25-16 08:21 AM
    Personally having had a few devices including the PRIV I would really recommend a Nexus. Even the 5x performs better then the PRIV and it's already on N. You can get all the BlackBerry apps on it.

I know the PRIV has a keyboard but I ended up using it maybe 5% of the time.

Everyone is different, but my opinion. If I was getting a priv again it would be factory unlocked. Carriers suck with updates, especially Verizon.
    Last edited by milfou; 08-25-16 at 08:34 AM.
    08-25-16 08:23 AM
    I like my Priv but I think if I was to buy today I would get a Galaxy 7 Edge unless you really want the qwerty keyboard.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    08-25-16 08:38 AM
    I like my Priv but I think if I was to buy today I would get a Galaxy 7 Edge unless you really want the qwerty keyboard.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    You are right... And with the BlackBerry Suite just around the corner, you get almost the full BlackBerry Priv software experience.
    08-25-16 09:11 AM
    Everyone is different, but my opinion. If I was getting a priv again it would be factory unlocked. Carriers suck with updates, especially Verizon.
    I second this suggestion. Going the factory unlocked route is the way to go. Carriers are offering less and less in terms of support and often you are stuck in an argument between them and the manufacturers of who is responsible for support, even when you buy it from the carrier. With a factory direct device, you will have better hardware support and be getting your updates directly from BlackBerry which is always the fastest route. And, when the carrier tries to screw you around (as they all inevitably do), you have much more leverage when you aren't tied to them on a contract.
    I'm not sure how all of the prices are in the US but, in Canada, you usually will recoup the cost of the device over term of the contract that you would have been locked in to. (ie plans are $30+ per month more on subsidized plans over BYOD plans. $30 x 24 = $720 you would save, and you still have to usually pay anywhere from $200 or more upfront for the phone. You actually save quite a bit of money by paying for the phone upfront and then you still keep your same old plan when you move to your next upgrade rather than being stuck on a more expensive plan even after your phone is payed off.)
    Serkle K likes this.
    08-25-16 09:38 AM
    ^^This
    comeON. bb runs VERY stock google android. as stock as it gets, they even left google stock wallpaper.
    While that may be true, that's only on the surface. As already stated, BB has hardened the OS from the ground up. As "stock" as it may look, BB Android devices are still the first to date (as far as I can recall) to have already patched the QuadRoot vulnerability. The only way the Nexus devices have seemed to be able to do that was with a major OS update in Nougat. That's something I would hope to be paying for beyond just the physical device one I purchase it. That's one of the many reasons I really want BB to have a huge turn around soon, but that's getting off topic.
    russnash and FF22 like this.
    08-25-16 09:58 AM
79 123 ...