11-01-16 04:31 PM
40 12
tools
    Hey guys i'm new to the forum and stumbled across the Priv sale on the blackberry site ($559 cad) but upon some research i've heard that there has been some build quality issues. I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on whether or not the creaky back and the clicky screens or what not have been fixed in the newer builds.. I've read in some threads that the build quality has improved but no one is really sure. Really like this device as it fits all my needs but the build quality issues has thrown me off a bit. Model they are selling is the STV100-1 so its the wireless charging supported model. Also, has anyone dealt with the blackberry/shop blackberry replacement/return service? is it hassle-free or is it quite troublesome. I am really only considering this device or waiting for the DTEK60, leaning towards the priv due to its physical keyboard tho. Any and all comments are appreciated thanks in advance!
    10-22-16 01:52 PM
    Hey guys i'm new to the forum and stumbled across the Priv sale on the blackberry site ($559 cad) but upon some research i've heard that there has been some build quality issues. I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on whether or not the creaky back and the clicky screens or what not have been fixed in the newer builds.. I've read in some threads that the build quality has improved but no one is really sure. Really like this device as it fits all my needs but the build quality issues has thrown me off a bit. Model they are selling is the STV100-1 so its the wireless charging supported model. Also, has anyone dealt with the blackberry/shop blackberry replacement/return service? is it hassle-free or is it quite troublesome. I am really only considering this device or waiting for the DTEK60, leaning towards the priv due to its physical keyboard tho. Any and all comments are appreciated thanks in advance!
    I just my PRIV from Verizon a week ago and I do experience the creaky left side and the clicky screen. The clicky screen switches from one side to another to another. I don't have soft back yet. The speaker at the bottom collects dust and lint like crazy. The devices loves to stay warm but not hot. I can't imagine how the PRIV would fair after two years of more.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-22-16 02:55 PM
    I bought a Priv last November, sold it because of poor build quality, went back to the passport...
    Tried again about 8 weeks ago, wow , what a difference...
    Excellent build and huge improvement in software
    Hub and keyboard are now brilliant, passport is now back in its box 👍👍😀
    ZJr9801 and Bay 13 like this.
    10-22-16 02:58 PM
    I have the Priv from ShopBlackberry and have not had any build issues. Phone works great. I do have a case for it, from Amazon. I found a good wireless charger for it too from Amazon. The Turbot wireless charge 3 coil. Enjoying this phone and I do use the PKB a lot too. I have used the return service with ShopBlackberry with my Q10 that had double typing issues. It was a bit of a pain cause they were denying that the double typing was a problem and I had to log it etc before being able to return it for a replacement.
    10-22-16 02:59 PM
    I just got the ShopBB Priv last week. No build issues that I can identify. I also got it rather fast (US ShopBB). I've had no other dealings with them so can't talk about other service issues.
    10-22-16 03:10 PM
    I had bought an old Priv on eBay (2015 build date). That one did have build issues, squishy keypad, touchscreen clicking, etc. However, BB warranty replacement fixed all that and the new one is definitely much better in quality. So you should be fine...and in the worst case their RMA process is very good!

Posted via CB10
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-22-16 04:00 PM
    thanks for all the input guys! just ordered my new priv! coming in a few days hopefully stoked!!
    10-22-16 04:17 PM
    You won't regret it
    Bay 13 likes this.
    10-22-16 04:39 PM
    I have a VZW Feb 2016 build Priv and would describe the quality as excellent, no creaky pkb or screen or any other faults I've run into yet.

"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
    10-23-16 03:56 AM
    Build quality is real bad: screaks everywhere. Physical keyboard is very uncomfortable. Very hard keys. If only they had put android on the Passport, or just kept updating BB10. Sad.
    10-23-16 04:39 AM
    I have an STV100-4 dated 23 May 2016, it does have a "clicky" screen, but I don't think I've ever noticed it except for when I intentionally searched for it. Same for the bendy back.
    There is also a spot on the left side under the power button that is slightly clicky, but it's also not a big deal.

I use my Priv in the original leather flip case, in it the clicky left side and the bendy back are pretty much impossible to notice, whether intentionally or not. Plus it enables a nicer grip, i.e. finger position when typing because it adds some thickness. And it looks nice. I'd definitely recommend it.
    10-23-16 04:40 AM
    I received my PRIV from the US ShopBlackBerry.com on Thursday and the build quality is great. I haven't noticed any creaks in the frame or a clicky screen. My only complaint is that the physical keyboard has 2-3 soft spots where I can't tell if i'm pressing the key all the way down sometimes. Other than that, its a solid device. The sale was supposed to end on the 19th but it is still going. If you're truly committed, I would jump on it before the prices go back up.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 12:56 PM
    I received my PRIV from the US ShopBlackBerry.com on Thursday and the build quality is great. I haven't noticed any creaks in the frame or a clicky screen. My only complaint is that the physical keyboard has 2-3 soft spots where I can't tell if i'm pressing the key all the way down sometimes. Other than that, its a solid device. The sale was supposed to end on the 19th but it is still going. If you're truly committed, I would jump on it before the prices go back up.
    I ordered it yesterday and paid the express shipping premium! Hoping to get it sometime early next week
    misterabrasive likes this.
    10-23-16 01:41 PM
    Build quality issues is rare . I am using the Priv since January and have not found any issues . Only issue which comes to my mind that after prolonged usage dirt accumulates on the speaker grill.
    10-23-16 02:06 PM
    I think it's the same for any phone. The first batch is gets the kinks out and then they start getting better IMO.
    ZJr9801 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    10-23-16 03:21 PM
    I think it's the same for any phone. The first batch is gets the kinks out and then they start getting better IMO.
    yeah i remember when the jokes bout the iphone 4 and how the reception was bad and everyone got a bumper case xD
    10-23-16 03:43 PM
    My first PRIV on Verizon did have one small "soft" spot on the back and screen creak if I intentionally pushed down on the screen. Well, dropped that one and cracked the screen; a few months latter and the completely shattered. So, I had that device replaced and the build quality of the replacement is solid. Neither device overheated.

So, my replacement was through Verizon.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 05:06 PM
    Blackberry Priv manufactured 0516 and is perfect.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 05:20 PM
    Whatever you do, don't buy the device from Amazon (as in amazon not the resellers on amazon) as you will not have an RMA process given to you.

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-23-16 06:13 PM
    AFAIK, they've fixed the build issues that occurred with the initial release almost a year ago.
    10-23-16 06:28 PM
    AFAIK, they've fixed the build issues that occurred with the initial release almost a year ago.
    Uh, it's best just to leave it at "my phone is perfect" instead of saying that loll

Afaik the issues persist to varying degrees to this day, except the keyboard. Which isn't hard to fathom because keyboards got better with all their other phones (except for passport I cannot speak to that).

Also the 9800 issues weren't really fixed until the 9810.

Fortunately there are DIY fixes for the build quality issues

#qwerty #glassweave #darkhorse
    10-23-16 06:48 PM
    My AT&T branded Priv that I've had since launch... 6 November 2015, was built 27 October 2015 and the build quality is excellent. No issues with the build quality.

Bob
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 07:01 PM
    I purchased two Privs from eBay, one a unlocked, non-branded version and another a T-Mobile braded version.

Both were of excellent quality and I could not discern any defects what-so-ever and I am a very particular customer when it comes to my cellphone quality. Both phone were constructed very tight with none of the "squishy" attributes that other have to deal with. Possibly there is some problem with Verizon and AT&T branded phones. I never had and quality/build issues from any Blackberries that I purchased directly from T-Mobile when they were in the Blackberry business.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 08:40 PM
    yeah i remember when the jokes bout the iphone 4 and how the reception was bad and everyone got a bumper case xD
    I had an iphone 4 with a bumper case lol. I loved that phone!! It was like the perfect size.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-23-16 08:41 PM
    I have had a Priv since the device was launched last year and haven't had any issues. I recently bought a used AT&T unlocked one from Craigslist and the device was solid with no built quality issues and the latest software updates have really improved the Hub and Blackberry apps on the phone.
    ZJr9801 likes this.
    10-24-16 07:35 AM
40 12